What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurant Talk - Modern Rules Of Dining (1 Viewer)

Dress code: times have changed. Maybe for the highest end places. Anything mid tier. Forget it
dogs: no. Just no. I’m at the beach and people bring them all the time. My favorite is when they ask for food for the dog
allowing adults to order off the kids menu: absolutely not. And there will be a split charge if it’s a constructed dish split onto 2 plates.
cost for cancellation: unenforceable
cell phones: should be on silent. Please leave the dining room to take your call.
time limit: I’m ok with it. 90 minutes is a little short. But if you’re busy enough to warrant it, go for it

Dress code: times have changed. Maybe for the highest end places. Anything mid tier. Forget it
dogs: no. Just no. I’m at the beach and people bring them all the time. My favorite is when they ask for food for the dog
allowing adults to order off the kids menu: absolutely not. And there will be a split charge if it’s a constructed dish split onto 2 plates.
cell phones: should be on silent. Please leave the dining room to take your call.
time limit: I’m ok with it. 90 minutes is a little short. But if you’re busy enough to warrant it, go for it

What am I missing here? Why would you care what menu someone orders off of?

There's nothing wrong with bringing a well behaved dog to a dog-friendly restaurant. Those of us that vacation by car with our dogs would much rather bring them to the table than leave the dog in the car.
Agreed. Same goes for smoker friendly bars. If you don't want man's best friend or second hand smoke, just go somewhere else.

However, unless your vacation entails you sleeping in your car, I'm not sure why you couldn't just leave Fido at the hotel or Air BNB in the event you can't find a dog friendly eatery.

From the article in the OP:

Should adults be allowed to eat from the children’s menu?

Small appetite? Saving money? Just fancy chicken nuggets? There are numerous reasons why an adult might order the kids’ menu, and the panel struggled to think of justifiable reasons to stop them.

Important caveat: children’s menus are priced as a subsidised inducement to parents and their spending power. Restaurants would go broke if large numbers did this. “Personally, I wouldn’t,” says KS. “If you want a light meal, there are other dishes you can choose.”

“I’m torn,” says Armitage. “Imagine if you had a party of 15 in a pub and they all ordered the kids’ menu. That would be awful.”

Verdict 5:1, it’s allowable. Just don’t come crying to mummy and daddy when your local restaurant folds.

Small appetite? Saving money? Just fancy chicken nuggets? There are numerous reasons why an adult might order the kids’ menu, and the panel struggled to think of justifiable reasons to stop them.

Important caveat: children’s menus are priced as a subsidised inducement to parents and their spending power. Restaurants would go broke if large numbers did this. “Personally, I wouldn’t,” says KS. “If you want a light meal, there are other dishes you can choose.”

“I’m torn,” says Armitage. “Imagine if you had a party of 15 in a pub and they all ordered the kids’ menu. That would be awful.”

Verdict 5:1, it’s allowable. Just don’t come crying to mummy and daddy when your local restaurant folds.

Gotcha. I feel like they could solve this by just having kids price/adult price if this really is a problem.

Do I remember right that you run a restaurant? Can you elaborate on this?
i React to this, the way you do to hats. Or the jacket on a plane. At my place, there are dogs everywhere. I’m on the sand in Laguna. We attempt to keep them only on the patio. That usually works. sometimes Fido is being hidden under the table. :rolleyes: The conundrum is that my place is stupid expensive But it’s at the beach. What do you do? 🤷‍♂️

in a normal restaurant, not at the beach, absolutely not.

Kids menus are a pita for the kitchen and a loss leader. You want butter noodles? Stay home.

Not sure I understand- I don’t eat at nice restaurants but for example, Disney requires a cc to make a reservation and will charge you if you’re a no-show.

Not sure I understand- I don’t eat at nice restaurants but for example, Disney requires a cc to make a reservation and will charge you if you’re a no-show.
And reservations on many apps are able to easily enforce this
Unless you sign a written contract if you contest this with you cc company, not only will you win, you will have wasted even more of the restaurants time. We do this for major holidays, but it’s an empty threat.

Outside of work calls, I think I've had less than 5 phone conversations over the last month. People still have the need to talk on the phone while out dining?
I wouldn't mind cell phones being banned at some restaurants, not because of people talking on them though.

Going out on a date or with a group of friends and everyone is focused on each other, the food, the conversation, the experience.

No selfies, no tiktoks, no stories, no grams, no snaps, no texts, no forums, etc. No worrying about missing a message or like or comment.

Quite a few entertainment venues are doing this now and some restaurants too I believe.

I probably wouldn't want this every time I went out to eat but it would be a nice change of pace occasionally.

Some places by me have meals for dogs on the menu.
Some do by me as well. There’s a brewery that’s awesomely dog friendly, with a huge outdoor area. A regular indoor restaurant. Come on.

Outside of work calls, I think I've had less than 5 phone conversations over the last month. People still have the need to talk on the phone while out dining?
I wouldn't mind cell phones being banned at some restaurants, not because of people talking on them though.

Going out on a date or with a group of friends and everyone is focused on each other, the food, the conversation, the experience.

No selfies, no tiktoks, no stories, no grams, no snaps, no texts, no forums, etc. No worrying about missing a message or like or comment.

Quite a few entertainment venues are doing this now and some restaurants too I believe.

I probably wouldn't want this every time I went out to eat but it would be a nice change of pace occasionally.
There have been articles written about the phone and the stupid pictures adding 15+ minutes to the dining experience. :hot:

Some do by me as well. There’s a brewery that’s awesomely dog friendly, with a huge outdoor area. A regular indoor restaurant. Come on.
Come on, what?

This has turned into another dog thread and we've had like three of them.

I want to focus on ordering from the kid's menu. No. You don't do it. The restaurant is putting those meals there as a courtesy and is generally losing money off of the offering. I know you—all of the sudden—feel the urgent need to control your portion size and weight, but don't do it. Order a big meal and take the leftovers home.

I just think with so many establishments having trouble making ends meet that taking advantage of something they're offering as an inducement or courtesy is bad form.

As far as dress codes go, I was over getting dressed up by the time I was twenty-six and had had constant dinner and professional events where one was required to dress in a certain fashion in order to be entertained as a serious person. I decided about that age that I would not spend one second more of spare time in any way that compelled my sartorial choices. Big fat no on dress codes, hats included. I think I made my final decision when my friends wanted to go to this bar with a dress code and I simply responded "If I wanted a dress code, I'd go to work."

Still stands to this day.

And lots of dog bowls around for water. :thumbup:
In a small $$+ restaurant? With no patio. You’re cool with my friend bringing her 3 huskies? Because people do this.

I will avoid openly dog friendly places for the most part if I'm going there to eat. Portland is extremely casual and dog friendly so it's a common occurrence. The one time I had a real problem was at a local favorite spot that has a covered outdoor space with heaters. There was a couple at the table next to us with older dogs. One dog stood up on the bench next to his owner and did a shake similar to when they get out of water. All of sudden I see all of this fine dog hair floating through the air and we had to cover our food. ****ing gross. This is just not cool and why I won't eat around dogs.

I mean....that place you and I went to after a round of disc golf where we sat outside, I'd be amazed if they had a "NO DOG" policy out back.
Oh the little brew pub? They don't serve food and that place is extremely dog friendly.

So, i am not a normal eater or lunch guy like most. I prefer smaller portions, which helps me control weight (this is in my mind). If i want to grab a lunch, i personally want a lunch sized portion and price. For lunch, we tend to lean Mediterranean. Falafel, hummus type stuff. Been getting into Mezeh lately. They do not have a lunch menu, which i wish more places did, kind of like a chinese take-out joint. So, i might make a kids menu item my lunch.

Few restaurants are in the position to turn away money, but I would love to see some sort of dress code enforced at higher end places. Rarely happens. People make so little of an effort these days.

This is an interesting one.

There is the classic scene in Sopranos where Tony tells the guy to take his hat off as they stopped selling hot dogs here a while back.

My friend was the Executive Chef at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill in Ceasar's Palace and they had a strict no hat rule. They asked one of the people in our party one time to remove his hat and he thought they were joking. They were not.

I asked my friend, "If Jay Z walks in here wearing a hat, you ask him to take it off?" He said yes.
How long ago was that? I wonder if that’s still in place

Adults seriously order off the kids menu?
I often order the kids meal at a fast food place as it is plenty of food for me. I assume we aren't talking about fast food. I have never ordered an item on the kids menu at a sit-down restaurant.

In a small $$+ restaurant? With no patio. You’re cool with my friend bringing her 3 huskies? Because people do this.

Should have clarified - yeah, I'm speaking about dog-friendly places THAT ADVERTISE AS 'DOG FRIENDLY' having bowls of water on the patio, where good bois can get a drink. I'm not asking to bring my dog inside of French Laundry.

If a restaurant advertises itself as "dog friendly" I'm not sure I understand anybody here having a problem with it.

I will avoid openly dog friendly places for the most part if I'm going there to eat. Portland is extremely casual and dog friendly so it's a common occurrence. The one time I had a real problem was at a local favorite spot that has a covered outdoor space with heaters. There was a couple at the table next to us with older dogs. One dog stood up on the bench next to his owner and did a shake similar to when they get out of water. All of sudden I see all of this fine dog hair floating through the air and we had to cover our food. ****ing gross. This is just not cool and why I won't eat around dogs.

I mean....that place you and I went to after a round of disc golf where we sat outside, I'd be amazed if they had a "NO DOG" policy out back.
Oh the little brew pub? They don't serve food and that place is extremely dog friendly.

My kinda place! Dog AND teachers on strike friendly! ;)

I've never seen a grownup attempt to this in my entire life.

Now, I am usually with kids in tow, so I selfishly don't mind when they can't finish their grilled cheese or that last chicken tendy. Also why I'm morbidly obese. :bag:

Mostly women
I thought most restaurants have the “I’m not hungry” plate for this exact situation

One of the reasons my wife does is she’s a picky eater like a kid - and yes, she deserves ridicule for that. I’m fine with half portion options but not a lot of places offer that.

Doesn't the menu specifically read on it "For kids 12 and under"? I'm quite sure most places we've been to where my kids order off the kids' menu have some verbiage on there "12 and under only".....

Should have clarified - yeah, I'm speaking about dog-friendly places THAT ADVERTISE AS 'DOG FRIENDLY' having bowls of water on the patio, where good bois can get a drink. I'm not asking to bring my dog inside of French Laundry.

If a restaurant advertises itself as "dog friendly" I'm not sure I understand anybody here having a problem with it.
Completely agree. I think some in here are saying they should be allowed to bring them everywhere

Mostly women
I thought most restaurants have the “I’m not hungry” plate for this exact situation

One of the reasons my wife does is she’s a picky eater like a kid - and yes, she deserves ridicule for that. I’m fine with half portion options but not a lot of places offer that.

Doesn't the menu specifically read on it "For kids 12 and under"? I'm quite sure most places we've been to where my kids order off the kids' menu have some verbiage on there "12 and under only".....

I think that’s the debate or I assumed it was - some places allow it, some don’t. I’m firmly in the camp of let restaurants do whatever they want but if someone is asking my opinion I fall in the camp of allowing adults to order kids meals.

I guess my point is - you are paying for the food and portion size given. Give me more options for smaller portions. I don’t care if you call it a kids menu or whatever.

Completely agree. I think some in here are saying they should be allowed to bring them everywhere
Actually no one is saying that. People are asking why the people ranting hyperbolically about dogs in restaurants would go to those restaurants that allow dogs if they don't like dogs?

Mostly women

Yep. OC house wife don’t care

Actually no one is saying that. People are asking why the people ranting hyperbolically about dogs in restaurants would go to those restaurants that allow dogs if they don't like dogs?
@General Malaise summed it up. I am NOT against dog friendly restaurants. Zero issues. But the dog goes everywhere is a growing movement. And I’m against it.

But the dog goes everywhere is a growing movement. And I’m against it.

They're not going to restaurants that don't allow them, obviously.

In those places where are allowed, they run freely, bite a lot of patrons (sometimes leading to death), slobber on people's fish sticks and piss all over crying babies from what I "learned" in this thread.

I guess my point is - you are paying for the food and portion size given. Give me more options for smaller portions. I don’t care if you call it a kids menu or whatever.
Those are called appetizers

Well, most appetizer menus around here are fried food and generally good tasting but bad for you. I appreciate a place that has half portions on things like pasta dishes.

What is your position on meal sharing? Pay a sharing fee?

In those places where are allowed, they run freely, bite a lot of patrons (sometimes leading to death), slobber on people's fish sticks and piss all over crying babies from what I "learned" in this thread.
My sister has a tiny dog that she takes everywhere. Rules be damned. It’s a very well behaved dog and chills in the little bag that she has for him. But he goes everywhere with her. Fake service papers and all. 👎

My sister has a tiny dog that she takes everywhere. Rules be damned. It’s a very well behaved dog and chills in the little bag that she has for him. But he goes everywhere with her. Fake service papers and all. 👎
if its in a bag, who cares?

ETA: if the store says no, she should not go in

Those are called appetizers

Well, most appetizer menus around here are fried food and generally good tasting but bad for you. I appreciate a place that has half portions on things like pasta dishes.

What is your position on meal sharing? Pay a sharing fee?
If it’s a constructed dish that is split onto 2 plates absolutely. If I’m just putting a plate in the middle of the table. No worries.

if its in a bag, who cares?

ETA: if the store says no, she should not go in
Drs office? F it. Take em everywhere.

He still barks, has to go to the bathroom. Growls. Pukes sometimes. There’s a time and place.

My father has seen the same woman trying to bring her dog into the gym about three different times claiming it's a service dog and none of the staff are having it. They ask her to leave. But this is a growing movement. The dogs over by the broken and cracked potted-soil plants in my grocery store want to let you know that surely they're good bois as GM would put it.

Nothing like your dog in a public space. He's so well-behaved, unlike those other dogs.

I'm also against it.

Mostly women

I think that’s the debate or I assumed it was - some places allow it, some don’t. I’m firmly in the camp of let restaurants do whatever they want but if someone is asking my opinion I fall in the camp of allowing adults to order kids meals.

I guess I just never even considered it, but again, I'm usually with a kid in tow and the kids' menus almost ALWAYS have verbiage that says "Kids 12 and under".

Users who are viewing this thread