What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner (2 Viewers)

thehornet

Footballguy
MORE TO COME......

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Seahawks starting CBs Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner are both facing four-game suspensions for violating the league's policy against performance-enhancing drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for "Optimus Prime" (Sherman).

Megatron gets it done without PEDs. Transformers aren't dopers!

MORE TO COME......ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Seahawks starting CBs Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner are both facing four-game suspensions for violating the league's policy against performance-enhancing drugs.
HUGE hit for the Seahawks...WOW

Having seen Sherman play a lot in college, I was somewhat surprised that he made an NFL roster, let alone became an above average starter.

Maybe this has something to do with it...

Anyone else starting to doubt whether you can ride the Seattle D the rest of the way? I just dropped SF the other day based on what looked like superior matchups for Seattle, but after their performance today reminded me that they can't be trusted on the road, this news has me wondering whether they can be trusted at all. I'm not about to drop Seattle, but I am starting to wonder if I should pick someone else up to spot start over the next few weeks.

Having seen Sherman play a lot in college, I was somewhat surprised that he made an NFL roster, let alone became an above average starter.

Jaws recently called him the best shutdown corner in the game right now.

Anyone else starting to doubt whether you can ride the Seattle D the rest of the way? I just dropped SF the other day based on what looked like superior matchups for Seattle, but after their performance today reminded me that they can't be trusted on the road, this news has me wondering whether they can be trusted at all. I'm not about to drop Seattle, but I am starting to wonder if I should pick someone else up to spot start over the next few weeks.
To their defense, Miami got a lucky roughing the passer penalty which negated an INT and a touchback by Seattle.

Adderall probably doesn't turn a player into a dominant CB after being a mediocre WR in college. LINK

UPDATE: Mike Garafolo reports that he heard that the drug was Adderall, as basically everyone thought it would be. Sherman and Browner must have had a big test tomorrow that they were studying for and couldn't concentrate!

To their defense, Miami got a lucky roughing the passer penalty which negated an INT and a touchback by Seattle.
Of all franchises, Seattle can hardly complain about getting jobbed by the refs. ;) Seriously, that may be true, but would you trust them next week at Chicago? Even if Forte's out, I'm going to take a long hard look at some alternatives. Same with Week 15 @ Buffalo. And that was before I heard the news about Browner and Sherman.

Adderall probably doesn't turn a player into a dominant CB after being a mediocre WR in college. LINK

UPDATE: Mike Garafolo reports that he heard that the drug was Adderall, as basically everyone thought it would be. Sherman and Browner must have had a big test tomorrow that they were studying for and couldn't concentrate!
HFSWhy is that even banned? It that is what they took this is really, really stupid on many levels.

HFSWhy is that even banned? It that is what they took this is really, really stupid on many levels.
Banned in every sport.

um, it is a prescription drug, maybe. :unsure:

Yeah, OK geniuses. And it is a PED in what way?

So stupid - for being a banned substance, and if true, the players for taking something that doesn't even give them an edge.

Yeah, OK geniuses. And it is a PED in what way?So stupid - for being a banned substance, and if true, the players for taking something that doesn't even give them an edge.
why is it stupid? Heroin wouldnt give them an edge either but I'm pretty sure it is a banned substance.

Yeah, OK geniuses. And it is a PED in what way?So stupid - for being a banned substance, and if true, the players for taking something that doesn't even give them an edge.
Mental focus seems a pretty clear advantage. See what I did there? :nerd:

Like other stimulant drugs, such as methamphetamine and cocaine, Adderall directly affects the mesolimbic reward pathway in the brain. Amphetamine salt preparations are considered to have high abuse potential, and it is classified as Schedule II by the US DEA. With the Safe Streets and Communities Act in Canada, Adderall has been reclassified from Schedule III to Schedule I.

The New York Giants running back Andre Brown (American football) faced a four-game suspension for violating NFL's performance-enhancing substance ban. Brown said: “It was something that I've been on since I've been in the league, which was Adderall. I just forgot to fill out some paperwork and that was it.” [50] Brown eventually won an appeal, and had his suspension lifted.[51] Another Giants player, Tyler Sash, was suspended for four games by the NFL in July 2012 after testing positive for Adderall four months earlier. The safety said in a statement that he took the drug legally and "under a doctor's care for an anxiety condition" to help him with public speaking.[52] The New York Giants safety Will Hill (American football) was charged a four-game suspension for violating NFL's performance-enhancing substance ban. Hill said: “"I received a doctor's prescription for Adderall prior to signing with the Giants” [53] Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib has been suspended four games by the NFL for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing substances. Talib released a statement saying his suspension was a result of testing positive for Adderall: "Around the beginning of training camp, I made a mistake by taking an Adderall pill without a prescription,".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

Given what happened with Brown, maybe they can appeal and win IF they had a prescription... :popcorn:

I think I've read before that Adderall can also cover up traces of other PED's or banned substances, but I could be misremembering.

He played plenty of CB in college. Wasn't all that impressive either. I think the NFL might be more suited to his game since he's big and physical for a corner. I don't know what type of defense Seattle runs, but if it's primarily cover 2 then I guess I could see him excelling. He was one of the best triple jumpers in California in high school, so he certainly has some pop in his legs. He wasn't a great cover man in college though. If he had been, he wouldn't have fallen to the 5th round.

I think I've read before that Adderall can also cover up traces of other PED's or banned substances, but I could be misremembering.
Yep, that's it. Makes perfect sense now.
It is on the list because It can mask anabolic steroids.
Sorry, I'm a middle aged ex-stoner, so it just seemed like a dumb thing to ban. But totally should since it is a masking agent.

Yep, that's it. Makes perfect sense now.
It is on the list because It can mask anabolic steroids.
Sorry, I'm a middle aged ex-stoner, so it just seemed like a dumb thing to ban. But totally should since it is a masking agent.
:thumbup:

We didn't make the rule, dummy. Look it up. Why do athletes take ir then? ####s and giggles?

Of all franchises, Seattle can hardly complain about getting jobbed by the refs. ;)

Seriously, that may be true, but would you trust them next week at Chicago? Even if Forte's out, I'm going to take a long hard look at some alternatives. Same with Week 15 @ Buffalo. And that was before I heard the news about Browner and Sherman.
Why not? Two wrongs hardly make a right and they've been on the receiving end of more "famous" bad calls than most other teams, not to mention plenty in that same game (including GB's only TD drive). It doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible call. I think it's too early to make any guesses on next week's game until the triage report on the Bears goes through. Also, the guys will be able to play until the appeal is done and there is currently nothing scheduled yet. It's entirely possible they won't serve the suspensions until next season. I don't see how the appeal is anything more than decorative though. Has anyone in the NFL ever successfully appealed either the positive test or the 4 games and won? Other than the StarCaps thing, which is a different type of issue.

Adderal has become the go-to "I didn't do it" excuse. I saw one article today, PFT probably, that explained that the players and the league are both forbidden to discuss specifics of positive tests so there's basically no way to confirm or deny what the substance is in a positive test. The adderal info probably comes from the agent and I think there's even less way to confirm or deny what any agent says, anywhere, about anything.

eta: It's the league and the team that are forbidden to reveal any specifics, so the player and their agent can say whatever they want.

Has anyone in the NFL ever successfully appealed either the positive test or the 4 games and won? Other than the StarCaps thing, which is a different type of issue.
See above, where wiki says that Andre Brown successfully appealed.
I was thinking more in general than specific to adderal. I have my doubts that it was that. If that indeed is what they tested positive for, I doubt Sherman at least will be able to use the shyness excuse. There's a legal recourse for guys who legitimately need it

He played plenty of CB in college. Wasn't all that impressive either. I think the NFL might be more suited to his game since he's big and physical for a corner. I don't know what type of defense Seattle runs, but if it's primarily cover 2 then I guess I could see him excelling. He was one of the best triple jumpers in California in high school, so he certainly has some pop in his legs. He wasn't a great cover man in college though. If he had been, he wouldn't have fallen to the 5th round.
They play more bump and run. The idea of having huge CBs is so they can play man on the outside being as physical at the line of scrimmage as possible. Watching WRs try to get off the line cleaning against that pair is a treat for Seattle fans.

Users who are viewing this thread