What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner (1 Viewer)

At halftime, Shaefter said there was a chance that he could win the appeal due to a contaminated sample. He also seemed to say that Sherman will likely be available for Sunday regardless. I dunno if that means the ruling won't come until next week or what. It was confusing and I was nodding off a bit.

'Hooper31 said:
'The Dreaded Marco said:
Sherman's appeal for his suspension is set for Friday so I'm guessing at least 4-1 odds that he won't be available for the 49ers.
If he were to play like he did against BUF he wouldn't be missed. He got torched by Stevie J. Really looking forward to seeing more of Lane. Heard a Carroll quote today that he thinks Lane is the fastest guy on the roster. Combine that with an enormous chip on his shoulder and I think we have the makings of an angry physical young CB. He looked great on the first deep ball yesterday. Great trail coverage and quickly got his head around and eyes on the ball.
C'mon. You appear to be the most level-headed 'Hawk fan on the board. I'm assuming you don't really want to see Lane in over Sherman. Despite a subpar game yesterday, he's still one of the best cover-corners in the game.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree with you that Sherman has become one of the best, but that doesn't mean he's perfect. Again, he got torched yesterday. I'm just excited to see what the depth at CB looks like. I think both Maxwell and Lane can play. Schneider and Carroll have really put in the time to build depth on this roster. I think it will be cool to see it pay off. I've mentioned it before, but I won't be shocked to not see Browner starting at CB for Seattle next year.
And they're gonna need it---potentially down their top 4 CBs (Sherman, Browner, Trufant, Thurmond).
I don't think Trufant is one of the best four corners on the team right now

:goodposting:Trufant has definitely been a hole in the defense at the slot CB. Its been sort of a bummer watching his skills decline.
It's been a bummer but it happens to everyone. His seemed to come on quick once his back started giving him problems (possibly caused by a suddenly swollen wallet) and by this year there was little to no interest in him on other teams. I really like though that he has stayed on the team, essentially, his whole career and on top of that, is from the area and got to play his whole career for his favorite team. Skill wise, he's barely hanging onto a roster spot but with the youth at the position, his experience is probably more than worth his salary.

'Hooper31 said:
'The Dreaded Marco said:
Sherman's appeal for his suspension is set for Friday so I'm guessing at least 4-1 odds that he won't be available for the 49ers.
If he were to play like he did against BUF he wouldn't be missed. He got torched by Stevie J. Really looking forward to seeing more of Lane. Heard a Carroll quote today that he thinks Lane is the fastest guy on the roster. Combine that with an enormous chip on his shoulder and I think we have the makings of an angry physical young CB. He looked great on the first deep ball yesterday. Great trail coverage and quickly got his head around and eyes on the ball.
C'mon. You appear to be the most level-headed 'Hawk fan on the board. I'm assuming you don't really want to see Lane in over Sherman. Despite a subpar game yesterday, he's still one of the best cover-corners in the game.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree with you that Sherman has become one of the best, but that doesn't mean he's perfect. Again, he got torched yesterday. I'm just excited to see what the depth at CB looks like. I think both Maxwell and Lane can play. Schneider and Carroll have really put in the time to build depth on this roster. I think it will be cool to see it pay off. I've mentioned it before, but I won't be shocked to not see Browner starting at CB for Seattle next year.
And they're gonna need it---potentially down their top 4 CBs (Sherman, Browner, Trufant, Thurmond).
Trufant isn't better than practice squad CBs they have. He needs to go.

'Hooper31 said:
'The Dreaded Marco said:
OK, fine. Point being they're down a lot of talent at one position. Hope it doesn't bite them.

'Hooper31 said:
'The Dreaded Marco said:
OK, fine. Point being they're down a lot of talent at one position. Hope it doesn't bite them.
It's already biting them. Pisses me off greatly that two of our guys are injury prone and two are boneheaded, selfish letdowns that got themselves suspended.* Perfect storm for the CB position and as I said when the suspensions first came to light, probably the death knell for the postseason success of the Seahawks. I hope I'm wrong but it seems like it's lining up to be that way. * - It's possible that he is actually innocent but my default position is to not believe the athlete unless there's something more compelling than "I didn't do it". I expect the suspension to hold.

'Hooper31 said:
'The Dreaded Marco said:
It's already biting them. Pisses me off greatly that two of our guys are injury prone and two are boneheaded, selfish letdowns that got themselves suspended.* Perfect storm for the CB position and as I said when the suspensions first came to light, probably the death knell for the postseason success of the Seahawks. I hope I'm wrong but it seems like it's lining up to be that way. * - It's possible that he is actually innocent but my default position is to not believe the athlete unless there's something more compelling than "I didn't do it". I expect the suspension to hold.
Overall, I agree with your sentiments, but I would say it hasn't bitten them yet. Since the first domino fell (Browner) they're 2-0, outscoring their (admittedly weak) opponents 108-17. Next week may be very different. I think they'll pull it off though.

'Hooper31 said:
'The Dreaded Marco said:
Overall, I agree with your sentiments, but I would say it hasn't bitten them yet. Since the first domino fell (Browner) they're 2-0, outscoring their (admittedly weak) opponents 108-17. Next week may be very different. I think they'll pull it off though.
It sort of has though. Thurmond got hurt playing for Browner. I know what you mean but the bite will most likely go on in the postseason and while it may be possible, having a huge hole in the secondary isn't good when playing against one of the best teams in the league.

It’s unlikely a ruling on the appeal would be levied before the Seahawks take on the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday night making Sherman still eligible to play. If he is suspended after this weekend, Sherman will miss the team’s final regular season game against the St. Louis Rams and up to three games in the playoffs.
From PFT, so I guess he'll be on the field Sunday night. Curiously, if he's suspended starting next week and the Seahawks actually get the #2 seed, then he wouldn't be able to play in the SuperBowl if they made it. He seems to like to play with a chip on his shoulder so hopefully it being his last game of the year, he'll take it out on the 9ers.

Can any Seattle fans elaborate on the Seattle cornerback situation for week 16? I was under impression that Sherman's suspension would not be effective week 16, but I was on Sportsline's rankings this morning and saw the following blurb:

"Over the last three weeks, Crabtree has at least 11 targets, seven catches and 93 yards in every single game. During that span, he is fourth in the league with 34 targets, 23 catches, 301 yards and is tied for fifth with two touchdowns. He has now produced at least nine Fantasy points in four of the five games with Kap under center and should take advantage of a Seahawks defense that will be without both starting cornerbacks in Week 16."

Is it accurate that both starting Seattle CBs will be out week 16?

Can any Seattle fans elaborate on the Seattle cornerback situation for week 16? I was under impression that Sherman's suspension would not be effective week 16, but I was on Sportsline's rankings this morning and saw the following blurb:

"Over the last three weeks, Crabtree has at least 11 targets, seven catches and 93 yards in every single game. During that span, he is fourth in the league with 34 targets, 23 catches, 301 yards and is tied for fifth with two touchdowns. He has now produced at least nine Fantasy points in four of the five games with Kap under center and should take advantage of a Seahawks defense that will be without both starting cornerbacks in Week 16."

Nobody knows for sure. The hearing isn't till tomorrow....but most think even if he loses his appeal he won't be suspended til week 17.

Nobody knows for sure. The hearing isn't till tomorrow....but most think even if he loses his appeal he won't be suspended til week 17.
I'm benching crabtree if he plays, but what are your thoughts about the Seahawks pass defense if Sherman is out?

I'm benching crabtree if he plays, but what are your thoughts about the Seahawks pass defense if Sherman is out?
The CBs are a big step down from Sherman and Browner. It would most likely be Lane, Maxwell and Trufant. You're talking about going from Pro-bowl CBs to a step up from practice squad CBs. Sherman has been a top 3 CB this year, and is ranked around there in the coverage ratings at PFF. It's a big drop off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CBs are a big step down from Sherman and Browner. It would most likely be Lane, Maxwell and Trufant. You're talking about going from Pro-bowl CBs to a step up from practice squad CBs. Sherman has been a top 3 CB this year, and is ranked around there in the coverage ratings at PFF. It's a big drop off.
I don't think this is necessarily true. I'm a big believer in Lane, much like Sherman a year ago. Seattle drafted Lane specifically because he fit their system. He's 6-0, fast, and has a nasty attitude.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/85798/looking-like-status-quo-for-cb-sherman

It's looking like nothing has changed regarding Richard Sherman's availability to the Seattle Seahawks for their Week 16 game against the San Francisco 49ers.

Sherman, facing a potential four-game suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs, traveled to New York for his appeal Friday, as anticipated.

"The Seahawks do not expect a ruling until next week," ESPN's Ed Werder reported.

If a suspension comes down early next week, Sherman would miss the final regular-season game against St. Louis. He would also miss up to three playoff games if the Seahawks advanced to play in that many.

Fellow Seahawks corner Brandon Browner has already served two games of his four-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs. He would be eligible to return for the playoffs.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I'm a big believer in Lane, much like Sherman a year ago. Seattle drafted Lane specifically because he fit their system. He's 6-0, fast, and has a nasty attitude.
Solid game from Lane. Very happy with his showing in prime time. We will get to see more of him throw the next two weeks at a minimum.

Anyone else find it kind of sketchy how this whole appeal thing is working out for the Seahawks? I have no bias either way in this division, or even in the NFC, but it's interesting how two top corners test positive for a banned substance and they're working it perfectly where they're only going to be losing one at a time. :shrug:
This is standard operating procedure. Other teams have worked multiple suspensions the same way. Nothing to see here.

Anyone else find it kind of sketchy how this whole appeal thing is working out for the Seahawks? I have no bias either way in this division, or even in the NFC, but it's interesting how two top corners test positive for a banned substance and they're working it perfectly where they're only going to be losing one at a time. :shrug:
They're all following the CBA procedures. I'm sure that the team probably convinced Browner to or suggested he give up an appeal and go out. Sherman actually seems to have a credible chance of beating it. Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but there seems to be a chain of custody/sample integrity issue. He deserves time to set up his defense and the nfl sets dates for appeals. If both of them were to appeal and lose, they'd be both out at the same time, during the playoffs. Plus, I'm sure the team would rather havevasherman in the playoffs than Browner. I am glad to see that his performance on the field has been as good, if not better than before the positive test. Three TDs in three weeks? A performance drop off would certainly cast doubt on his claims of innocence. Sketchy? No, it's all legit but it may have been influenced by limiting the damage as much as legally possible. But like I said, if it was a sketchy deal, Sherman would've sat out first.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalkRichard Sherman says he won his appeal. Amazing development.
8m Richard Sherman Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25I wonRetweeted by ProFootballTalk
Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25Thank you @nfl for upholding the truth! To the 12s Thank you your faith is rewarded! Thank you lord

Last edited by a moderator:
They are both innocent...bottom line.
Says the Seahawks fan :rolleyes:
Don't lump him in with us. He's his own breed of obnoxious blind homer.
Good point, he's close to my ignore list.
Sherman accepts your apology. :thumbup:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seahawks-db-richard-sherman-wins-ped-suspension-appeal-173051501--nfl.htmlI apologize for saying you couldn't win the appeal. However you better apologize because unless that 2nd cup had adderal already in it you were for sure taking it.Thank you lord.... ya I am sure the lord had something to do with making a leaky cup so he could get out of being confrimed to having taken adderal.

What about Brandon "Bottom Line" Browner?
Clearly he crossed swords with Winston Guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seahawks-db-richard-sherman-wins-ped-suspension-appeal-173051501--nfl.htmlI apologize for saying you couldn't win the appeal. However you better apologize because unless that 2nd cup had adderal already in it you were for sure taking it.

Thank you lord.... ya I am sure the lord had something to do with making a leaky cup so he could get out of being confrimed to having taken adderal.
No way to know that at all. Considering there was another positive test that day... it's at least possible. As for the Lord, what does he have to do with anything on the football field (other than possibly protecting from injuries)?

Users who are viewing this thread