What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Eddie Van Halen, dead at 65 (2 Viewers)

Yeah, I found that earlier too and that is a great interview especially when he busts out a quick Eruption for instructional purposes. Lol.  One other great thing I noticed from that video is how much healthier and good he looks/sounds as he had gotten sober by then.  Contrast it with a similar subject in this interview in 2004 I think (https://youtu.be/i2mh7zGfFRM?t=142) talking about his custom guitar and you could tell he was in rough shape at that time.

He's such an interesting and thoughtful guy and a musical and instrument genius.  That 2015 interview really showed that off especially once he got sober later in his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I found that earlier too and that is a great interview especially when he busts out a quick Eruption for instructional purposes. Lol.  One other great thing I noticed from that video is how much healthier and good he looks/sounds as he had gotten sober by then.  Contrast it with a similar subject in this interview (https://youtu.be/i2mh7zGfFRM?t=142) talking about his custom guitar and you could tell he was in rough shape at that time.

He's such an interesting and thoughtful guy and a musical and instrument genius.  That 2015 interview really showed that off especially once he got sober later in his life.
Agreed. I found it interesting his answers to the questions. He really really loved his family. So close to both his brother and son. Was in heaven playing on stage with them. And he loved and really misses his pops. Loved that answer.

The background on how he built his guitar was awesome.

i felt the same way seeing him in that interview about his appearance. Glad he got clean and sober.

When I think of his home made Frankenstein, only a couple other rock geniuses come to mind that did things their own way, Jimi Hendrix unorthodox style playing the restrung right handed strat left handed and Brian May with his homemade Red Special.

Yeah, the Beat It solo is killer, probably one of his three most iconic solos along with Eruption and Jump. 
The Jump solo is really a marvel. It’s this smooth pop song with lots of synths and a kicking beat, and then there’s this solo that might as well have been math rock if that term had existed then.

The Jump solo is really a marvel. It’s this smooth pop song with lots of synths and a kicking beat, and then there’s this solo that might as well have been math rock if that term had existed then.
Well said.  It's kind of crazy to think that Van Halen's biggest hit and most well known song is one that features very little guitar, while at the same time featuring one of his most iconic solos.  Funny how that goes sometimes.

Well said.  It's kind of crazy to think that Van Halen's biggest hit and most well known song is one that features very little guitar, while at the same time featuring one of his most iconic solos.  Funny how that goes sometimes.
While Eddies solos are impressive due to speed, grace, and melody, it’s his riffs that have always pulled me in.    

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of it but the mecca of metal music in NY was LaMour in Brooklyn. Saw countless shows there. When this played over the PA, you knew to get your ### in place because whatever band you were there to see was about to hit the stage. It was perfect for talking up the upcoming shows and getting the crowd pumped for the band. I can't hear it without thinking back to some really good times. Getting goosebumps just listening to it.

Interesting also is the amount of love from country musicians and from artists associated with 80s New Wave.

Thomas Dolby and EVH, ultimately, were associated via 5150 producer Mick Jones, so Dolby's eulogy could've been expected.
I think Dolby's connection to Eddie was through their wives, who were friends. Ed ended up playing guitar on 2 of Dolby's songs as a thank you for Dolby programming some of Ed's synthesizers:

Eastern Bloc
Close But No Cigar

"Little Guitars" is far and away the best track on Diver Down, and the only one of the 4 originals that I give any time to these days. The others sound more like outtakes from earlier albums (one of them was literally a rewrite of a rejected demo from 1977).

I've always felt that the riff in "Little Guitars" was a cousin to the riff in "'5150'", which is probably my favorite song from the Sammy era. The version from "Live Without A Net" is the definitive version, IMO -- the band's enthusiasm is infectious! And Eddie is ON FIRE. I wore out my VH copy of LWAN in the summer of 1987.

"Little Guitars" is far and away the best track on Diver Down, and the only one of the 4 originals that I give any time to these days. The others sound more like outtakes from earlier albums (one of them was literally a rewrite of a rejected demo from 1977).

I've always felt that the riff in "Little Guitars" was a cousin to the riff in "'5150'", which is probably my favorite song from the Sammy era. The version from "Live Without A Net" is the definitive version, IMO -- the band's enthusiasm is infectious! And Eddie is ON FIRE. I wore out my VH copy of LWAN in the summer of 1987.
I’m not a fan of Diver Down.   It’s so weak compared to the other Roth albums.   It’s not total garbage but I would rather spend my time with the other albums.   

Hang 'Em High is actually my favorite off DD, although love Little Guitars, too. I think they did a good job of recrafting it from the earlier demo.

RIP to one of the greatest guitarists to ever grace the earth.  His influence is undeniable.  I was very fortunate to have seen VH live (even though it was with Sammy and not DLR).

Paid my respects with a spin of VH's 1984 album.  Love that album. 

It's their weakest album but not really their fault, they released Pretty Woman as a single and when it became a hit they faced enormous pressure from the record company to back it with an album. It was a pure rush job. Little Guitars is great but I always felt like Secrets is one of their most underrated songs, really enjoy that one. 

That was good. Pointed up just before tapping also.
Nice catch. He did it so fast in a frenetic Jack White way that I missed it.

ETA: if you also freeze it at the 2:45 mark, you'll notice on the left a little guitar. Hmm...

Yeah, the Beat It solo is killer, probably one of his three most iconic solos along with Eruption and Jump. 
Tone Loc also used the hook from "Jamie's Cryin" for "Wild Thing". I thought that, at one time, Eddie being on "Beat It" and "Wild Thing" was a bigger deal.  Both sold a crazy amount of singles.

Like many of you, DLR VH was my teen soundtrack too.  The cool memory I'll share is camping out overnight for VH tickets in 1984.  Kids today have no clue of what it was like to get there, plot down your place in line and just hang out all night waiting for the box office to open the next day.  I was only 17 and I remember it being a big deal that my parents let me and a friend go downtown and stay up all night like that.

Ended up getting like 5th or 6th row tickets.  Michael Anthony threw a handful of picks into the crowd and we didn't catch one, but then I noticed one had stuck to my buddies sweaty neck and we were both psyched he got one.  Good times.

Tone Loc also used the hook from "Jamie's Cryin" for "Wild Thing". I thought that, at one time, Eddie being on "Beat It" and "Wild Thing" was a bigger deal.  Both sold a crazy amount of singles.
Good call - I forgot about that one. Was very clear at the time that had Tone Loc had "Jamie's Cryin'" written all over it.

I think that Tone Loc song also used an Alex Van Halen drum roll.
Yes, the opening drum roll of Wild Thing is also totally the opening roll in Jamie.

ETA: turns out in 1989 VH sued Tone Loc for unpermitted usage of Jamie's, and the band was awarded 200K.
To this day, the songwriters on "Jamie's Cryin'" (viz the four members of VH) are not credited as writers of "Wild Thing". Maybe that was a condition of the paltry settlement, but it's still jacked up.

To this day, the songwriters on "Jamie's Cryin'" (viz the four members of VH) are not credited as writers of "Wild Thing". Maybe that was a condition of the paltry settlement, but it's still jacked up.
Tone seems like a sweetheart of a guy.

"I ran into Eddie Van Halen one time," he recalls. "He was uptight and a little tipsy, claiming that I took money from him. I don't think he really believed that, but maybe he did because he was tipsy and you say what you feel when you're in that zone. Maybe he didn't get the proper royalties for it. I don't know. He's lucky I didn't sock him in his jaw, but I was chillin'."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/8495031/tone-loc-loc-ed-after-dark-album

My sister took my son when he was like 5 to see Britney Spears in LA, they were like 2nd or 3rd row. Well they get back and she says you’ll never believe this but we were sitting right next to EVH, his son and Valerie. At the first intermission she finally got up the courage to ask for his autograph, a few other had and he’d said no but he signed her ticket and my sons shirt. She said Valerie kept telling him to take Wolfgang backstage and he kept saying no I’m not abusing this badge. She said they were all chatting back and forth all night, man I wish that had been me :sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread