What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Eddie Van Halen, dead at 65 (2 Viewers)

2 weeks later, still listen to the XM Tribute Channel every time I'm in the car and on my morning bike rides...loving it, especially the guest DJs telling EVH stories or giving song insights.

2 weeks later, still listen to the XM Tribute Channel every time I'm in the car and on my morning bike rides...loving it, especially the guest DJs telling EVH stories or giving song insights.
I haven’t stopped listening to VH either.   Really listening to Eddie daily has me appreciating him more than ever.  

Yeah me too.  And one cool thing has been my discovery of their 2012 album.  I hadn't listened to it at all and its pretty damn good.  I mean DLR's voice is mush, but Eddie's playing could be from 1978 it sounds so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Perry of Journey fame mentioned today that after Dave left and before Sammy was in the picture that EVH gave  Perry an open invitation to come in to sing and play. Apparently they had a lot of mutual admiration for each other. According to Perry, he gave it some thought and ultimately decided he wouldn’t be the right singer to replace DLR (in addition to not being the right voice to sing Dave songs). So he never followed through. I have a hard time envisioning his voice singing on Dave songs, just like I can’t picture him singing 5150 songs. 

Steve Perry of Journey fame mentioned today that after Dave left and before Sammy was in the picture that EVH gave  Perry an open invitation to come in to sing and play. Apparently they had a lot of mutual admiration for each other. According to Perry, he gave it some thought and ultimately decided he wouldn’t be the right singer to replace DLR (in addition to not being the right voice to sing Dave songs). So he never followed through. I have a hard time envisioning his voice singing on Dave songs, just like I can’t picture him singing 5150 songs. 
Agree on the DLR songs. I would have loved to see what a Steve Perry/EVH collaboration on new music would have sounded like though. 

Agree on the DLR songs. I would have loved to see what a Steve Perry/EVH collaboration on new music would have sounded like though. 
Neil Schon might be a step down from EVH, but a much smaller step down than people might realize. I think "Van Perry" -- still with Michael Anthony's harmonies and EVH's keys replacing Jonathan Cain's -- would've sounded A LOT like early-80s Journey just with a different style of guitar work. And Alex Van Halen was usually a more "out front" drummer than Steve Smith.

Van Perry on songs like "City of the Angels", "The Party's Over", and "Stone in Love" would rock.

EDIT: Also, Perry would've immediately indulged EVH's incorporation of synths -- no creative differences there like there were with Roth.

Eddie had also reached out to Daryl Hall and Patty Smyth. Maybe others too.

http://mikesdailyjukebox.com/daryl-hall-joining-van-halen/

Thought this was the best place to post this. I am rediscovering my record collection and put on Van Halen's first album yesterday. I was looking at the album cover and under "Special Thanks" on the back I see Gene Simmons!!

So, I Google and see that Gene says he discovered VH, signed them to a deal with his production company and produced a bunch of demo tracks with them in 1976 that have never been released. I also saw that Gene recruited Eddie and Alex to play on a "Christine Sixteen" demo and some other songs he was working on. Ace Frehley wasn't thrilled to have to recreate some of Eddie's guitar work.

Thought this was the best place to post this. I am rediscovering my record collection and put on Van Halen's first album yesterday. I was looking at the album cover and under "Special Thanks" on the back I see Gene Simmons!!

So, I Google and see that Gene says he discovered VH, signed them to a deal with his production company and produced a bunch of demo tracks with them in 1976 that have never been released. I also saw that Gene recruited Eddie and Alex to play on a "Christine Sixteen" demo and some other songs he was working on. Ace Frehley wasn't thrilled to have to recreate some of Eddie's guitar work.

Not to break your balls but...

The demo tracks from '76 are readily available if you google. Some of them were reworked for A Different Kind of Truth.

Also, DLR was just dropped as Kiss's opening act and Gene said some messed up things about Dave being washed up. DLR gave Gene the finger 18 times and Gene apologized, said he was taken out of context. So mini-feud 45 years later lol.

🤷‍♂️  if this was common knowledge, it was news to me. I am used to Simmons' huge ego and hearing him blathering on about all of his accomplishments. But, I wasn't aware of this one.
Isn’t the rest of the story that the rest of KISS basically told Gene to drop the producing and focus on the band?

The demo tracks from '76 are readily available if you google. Some of them were reworked for A Different Kind of Truth.

Also, DLR was just dropped as Kiss's opening act and Gene said some messed up things about Dave being washed up. DLR gave Gene the finger 18 times and Gene apologized, said he was taken out of context. So mini-feud 45 years later lol.
I also saw an article where DLR said he thought Gene was trying to recruit Eddie for KISS back around the time of the demos, but he put an end to it.

Warner Brothers Demo - Part 1Warner Brothers Demos - Part 2Zero Demos

Those should keep you busy for awhile.

I remember the rumors way back when that it was actually Gene playing bass on the debut album.  Sounds silly now, but at that time no one had ever heard of Michael Anthony.

Users who are viewing this thread