What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roethlisberger Intentional Fumble Story - How Likely Do You Think It's True? (1 Viewer)

How likely do you think Roethlisberger intentionally fumbled there?

• No Way he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Very Unlikely he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Probably did not intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • On the fence he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • Probably did intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Very likely he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • For sure he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 13 10.4%

• Total voters
Not sure. I'm saying in general, an NFL QB doesn't fake a fumble to spite his coach. 
In general it would be one of the worst offenses a player could ever do so it seems impossible to believe it has any merit.

With respect to analyzing that video if it was intended to be a handoff to the FB then he clearly did not fumble on purpose, the FB was not expecting the ball. If the play call was intended to be a handoff to the RB it looks kind of shaky for Ben, but even then I'd have to think he just had a mental fart. I absolutely find it hard to believe he'd fumble on purpose.

This is very specific play for a guy to remember...

But why would Ben care that much about something so silly?

Im going to go ahead and refuse to believe it. 

Not sure. I'm saying in general, an NFL QB doesn't fake a fumble to spite his coach. 
Ben has driven at least one superstar to blonde mustache levels of crazy?  Asserted retirement as leverage against ousting a coach (aledgedly)?  Has a couple rape-y skeletons in the old closet does he?

Gonna go with him not being the most level headed and sensical guy at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep. I actually think this happens a lot. at some point you're paid so much money it probably doesnt matter to you if you win or lose. 

I've no doubt a QB and OC get mad at each other.

But if a QB wants to defy the OC's play call, I think he runs the play he wants. Doesn't do something that makes the player look bad. 

I mean, you could say an NFL wide receiver wouldn't smoke pot and drink despite his career. Or a human being couldn't knock a woman out in an elevator, or break a kid's arm (allegedly). But you'd be wrong. People will surprise you.

A lot of whispers coming out about Ben recently. And also after he had his episode in the bathroom. He doesn't seem like a stand up guy at all. I wouldn't put it pased him based on these rumors.

I end up agreeing with you for the sheer stupidity of arguing about something so pointless and being so mad about it to resort to this. But if it was a hand off for a 1 yard score, I dont know.

Can you elaborate on why you think this happens "a lot"?
I think players intentionally do things to get back at other players, coach, etc. especially players with egos

As a Packer fan I wouldnt be surprised if Brett Favre wrote a tell all book on how he threw an INT to get back at his coach or to demonstrate how unhappy he was, especially after they drafted Rodgers. 

I am going with no way.

All Ben had to do was take the snap and act like he turned the wrong way and fall down if he did not like the play.  No way he would put the teams win in jeopardy and be the scapegoat for fumbling.

I've no doubt a QB and OC get mad at each other.

But if a QB wants to defy the OC's play call, I think he runs the play he wants. Doesn't do something that makes the player look bad. 
but then doesnt the OC look good and get credit in the publics eye? This looks like a blown pmay to the public but privately they know what happened. 

but what are they going to do, bench the franchise QB? that would be epic and amazing but itll never happen

I think players intentionally do things to get back at other players, coach, etc. especially players with egos

As a Packer fan I wouldnt be surprised if Brett Favre wrote a tell all book on how he threw an INT to get back at his coach or to demonstrate how unhappy he was, especially after they drafted Rodgers. 
"A lot" like in the last time it happened it was Brett Favre?

How often in a season do you think a team has a player do something like intentionally fumble to spite his coach?

Was last game of the season. It was late 4th quarter and they were up 10. Announcer said Roethlisberger was tied for NFL yardage lead (with Brees) and it was 1st down. So maybe he did

They ended up tied

"A lot" like in the last time it happened it was Brett Favre?

How often in a season do you think a team has a player do something like intentionally fumble to spite his coach?
I gave an example of Brett Favre because, as a packer fan, that's the last player for my home team who had a massive ego, clashed with his coaches, and was peeved that the team drafted his replacement before he was ready to call it quits. if you close your eyes that sounds an awful lot like Big Ben's situation. I figured it was a pretty fair comparison. I cant say I've watched all of the broken plays, dropped passes, or fumbles for every player to give you a more current example. 

Favre took a sack on purpose because he wanted Strahan to have the record, but its absurd for him to have thrown an INT on purpose because he's unhappy? 

ETA: to answer your last question, I couldn't say how often it happens,  but I would probably take the over for 32 times a season. 

Its times like this, where people cant fathom a player not caring if he wins or loses, when I remember this article

If most players dont like football, then why would we think they care about winning or losing? they get paid regardless. each has their own reasons to play. and winning may not be the most common

Lots of comments from former Steelers and people with connections around the league that suggest it could very well be true.  Not really seeing any defense of Ben.  Comments like "he could be that petty" and questions of his leadership.

I think he did it...  the flop at the end was bad acting...

I think it's possible he did it. I also think it's possible that every comment on that link is from a bot.

He "absolutely" did it. 

The way the former teamate told the story, the game was in hand and Ben was protesting the play call ...

Haley called a run and Ben wanted to take a knee.

He intentionally hit the FB with the ball when the handoff was supposed to go to the RB.

This is something that high school QB's get right, every time ... NFL QB no way extends to ball that soon unless he's trying to eff it up.

ETA: to answer your last question, I couldn't say how often it happens,  but I would probably take the over for 32 times a season. 

Thanks. 

We'll have to just disagree there. I would be super surprised to see a player do something that's extremely bad for himself as a way to spite a coach. That seems hard to imagine. I can easily see an established star like Roethlisberger defying a coach and running a different play. But not doing something that makes the player look bad. That's like punching yourself in the face to get back at your Dad or something. 

Liquored up 4th string RB’s is what we’re resorting to now?

You people have been waiting 5 or 6 decades for this offseason from Pittsburgh haven’t you? 

Hey, you know what, #### it... here’s a nice list of Steelers who didn’t go running out of Pittsburgh (most of which played with Ben): Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, James Farrior, Brett Kiesel, Aaron Smith, Casey Heyward, Maurice Pouncey, Heath Miller, Ike Taylor, Alan Fanaca, Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Clark, Cam Heyward, David Decastro.

I’ll be the bigger Steelers fan though: I apologize that the Steelers paid Antonio Brown like one of the top WR’s in the league and attempted to pay Bell like one of the top backs in the league. Such a terrible and horrible organization. Probably the worst in all of sports.

Edit to add: AND still paying Shazier’s salary. 

idk... that's a play Ben's been running since he was 8... and could probably run blindfolded in a rainstorm. that's a pretty big mistake for such a routine play.but I could be wrong

Honestly would not be surprised either way.

Would be the height of pettiness for a QB to pull this move. I would think any football player worth their salt could not do this and call themselves a professional.

That said, I am sure pettiness like this has happened before. And I certainly don't put it past Ben to do it. We are all operating off of hearsay, and the spate of players coming out claiming that Ben is a horrid prima donna and terrible teammate makes this news a little suspect.

But where there's smoke... 

The steelers are not in a good healthy place if stories like this are coming out. The one about Ben having a secret a escape room in his locker was just bizarre.  The stuff about him having an "owner mentality" isn't great.  This kind of story should get laughed off but everyone seems to think it's possible. That's pretty concerning regardless of whether it's true.  

Since we're going all conspiracy theory here, who calls a run to the fullback on 1st and 10 in that spot? It's weird enough that they didn't kneel. Last game of the season so maybe Haley just thought what the heck we'll give the FB a chance to break one, up 10 with one minute left? Ok I guess so.

I think it's totally plausible Ben did it on purpose. Dude asked for a private hidden locker inside his main locker. Not kneeling is pretty bush league, and we know he didn't like Haley. I would mostly doubt it, but I don't think it's that crazy. 

I agree with Ben if he thinks it’s completely asinine to run any play but a kneel down there.

Thanks. 

We'll have to just disagree there. I would be super surprised to see a player do something that's extremely bad for himself as a way to spite a coach. That seems hard to imagine. I can easily see an established star like Roethlisberger defying a coach and running a different play. But not doing something that makes the player look bad. That's like punching yourself in the face to get back at your Dad or something. 
It’s really dumb to run a play there. Ben may have been trying to make the point that poop can happen if you run a play instead of kneeling. I agree it makes him look bad, but maybe he got his point across.

but then doesnt the OC look good and get credit in the publics eye? This looks like a blown pmay to the public but privately they know what happened. 

but what are they going to do, bench the franchise QB? that would be epic and amazing but itll never happen
Unless you're Eli.  Different circumstances but still. 

I really don't think Ben would do something this if it were to put the game in jeopardy. But here? Wouldn't be shocked.

Thanks. 

How was it bad for Roethlisberger? Did the Steelers lose the game? Did Roethlisberger lose money? Was he particularly criticized for this in the media at the time? I think you are grossly overstating this element. 

Furthermore, you clarified upthread that you were saying in general you don’t think NFL QBs would fumble to spite his coach. I don’t disagree with that, but IMO Roethlisberger is not representative of a “general” NFL QB. He is a diva at QB to a degree that surpasses his peers. 

I am a steelers fan and I have no recollection of josh harris. 

This is a really dumb conspiracy.  What does intentionally fumbling even accomplish here? How is that a protest by any means?

Very likely Ben (and plenty other players) would do something this petty. With all the crap that we've seen over the last several years of NFL Drama, the league and it's players just keep looking more and more childish and petty. It's a long road for many of these guys and they don't hear "No" very often along the way. There's s pretty low level of "adulthood" and that's where this kind of nonsense thrives.

The quote by Boomer sticks in my head. Frankly, it's been a big part of the declining interest I've had in the NFL over the last few seasons. 

“You can say whatever you want about DeflateGate, and who said what, but to me this is about how the NFL operates: it’s back stabbing, it’s insecure and it’s childish,” Esiason added. “‘You want to call me out? I’m going to call you out. You want to embarrass me? Guess what I’m going to embarrass you.’ I’m telling you, this is the way the NFL works.
- Boomer Esiason

Since we're going all conspiracy theory here, who calls a run to the fullback on 1st and 10 in that spot? It's weird enough that they didn't kneel. Last game of the season so maybe Haley just thought what the heck we'll give the FB a chance to break one, up 10 with one minute left? Ok I guess so.

I think it's totally plausible Ben did it on purpose. Dude asked for a private hidden locker inside his main locker. Not kneeling is pretty bush league, and we know he didn't like Haley. I would mostly doubt it, but I don't think it's that crazy. 
Where is any evidence of this private hidden locker?

How was it bad for Roethlisberger?  

I would put fumbling pretty far up on the list of things that are bad for a QB. 

This feels like if Sigmund Bloom were mad at me and disagreed with the topic I asked him to write an article about and he decided to spite me by writing the article on the topic but publishing a Footballguys article with his name on it saying some things wrong on purpose. 

IMO Roethlisberger is not representative of a “general” NFL QB. He is a diva at QB to a degree that surpasses his peers. 

This feels like if Sigmund Bloom were mad at me and disagreed with the topic I asked him to write an article about and he decided to spite me by writing the article on the topic but publishing a Footballguys article with his name on it saying some things wrong on purpose. 
Sig is a diva? I mean he's good at his job so maybe he deserves a little ego... 

If you told me Peyton, Brady, Brees, Mariota (yes I realize he doesn't "belong" with these 4, but as class acts, team first guys I think he does), and a bunch of other QBs who seem to be highly professional did this, I'd laugh and say you're nuts. 

But this is Ben. 

I am going with no way.

All Ben had to do was take the snap and act like he turned the wrong way and fall down if he did not like the play.  No way he would put the teams win in jeopardy and be the scapegoat for fumbling.
But if he was trying to make a point that it was stupid to call a running play instead of just kneeling then fumbling would get the point across.  It would come out in media etc that it was stupid for the OC to even run a play because a fumble was possible and look it happened.  He should have just called for a kneel down and game is over.

If Ben just kneels because that's the play he wanted to call then nobody is any the wiser.  Fumbling would shift the spotlight to the OC on why he would even call a dumb play.  I think this line of thought gives it a little merit.  I am still not sure if he would actually do it but it does look kind of strange.   

But if Ben wanted to show how stupid the play call was then fumbling would bring up the question to the OC in the press on why didn't you just kneel to end the game.  Why call a run play that could have a fumble?  It accentuates the stupidity of calling a running play instead of kneeling.  I think this is possible if you are trying to bring the light to how stupid of a play caller the OC is. 

Yes Ben will charged with the fumble but he could shift a little to the FB for being in the wrong spot to bump into him or something else.  I think more of the questions would revolve around why a running play was called instead of just kneeling. 

If you told me Peyton, Brady, Brees, Mariota (yes I realize he doesn't "belong" with these 4, but as class acts, team first guys I think he does), and a bunch of other QBs who seem to be highly professional did this, I'd laugh and say you're nuts. 

But this is Ben. 

This is probably one of the most damning points. The fact people aren't laughing this thought out of the room is not a good look for Roethlisberger. 

This is probably one of the most damning points. The fact people aren't laughing this thought out of the room is not a good look for Roethlisberger. 
People are. Notice it not being reported by anyone but Daily Snark... oh, and yourself, for some odd reason. You would think the focus on a fantasy board may have a poll on how long Tyreek Hill will be suspended... nope, it’s more fun to continue to try to #### on the Steelers for some reason. How about a poll for how many games Eli starts with the Gettleman fiasco? How about a poll on how many games Jay Gruden lasts considering his GM is acquiring players without informing him? 

People are. Notice it not being reported by anyone but Daily Snark... oh, and yourself, for some odd reason. You would think the focus on a fantasy board may have a poll on how long Tyreek Hill will be suspended... nope, it’s more fun to continue to try to #### on the Steelers for some reason. How about a poll for how many games Eli starts with the Gettleman fiasco? How about a poll on how many games Jay Gruden lasts considering his GM is acquiring players without informing him? 
Or maybe it's an interesting point for discussion that could lead to other tangents.  It's a message board.  It's here to discuss lot's of things....

Or maybe it's an interesting point for discussion that could lead to other tangents.  It's a message board.  It's here to discuss lot's of things....
It really, really, really isn’t. It’s a 4th string RB from 2014 who is trying to get a piece of something he never had. Gradkowski disproved his idiocy... end of story. Far better and current ones to be discussing.

It really, really, really isn’t. It’s a 4th string RB from 2014 who is trying to get a piece of something he never had. Gradkowski disproved his idiocy... end of story. Far better and current ones to be discussing.
The story itself may be minor but the topic of a QB purposefully screwing up on the field to call out an OC is an interesting topic of debate.  It's something that could happen and this is a way of starting the discussion. 

Users who are viewing this thread