What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roy Williams (Dal) = Leg Crusher (1 Viewer)

hankd

Footballguy
The way he tackles people is rough on their legs...grabs their shouldpads at the top and rides them down to the ground. He just took out TO... He snapped Musa Smith's leg like a twig...He took out Calico in the preseason...

Ouch...that's 3 seasons that Roy has ended this year. I wonder if the league will say anything about the way he tackles since he's now knocked out one of the biggest stars in the NFL??It's not viscious, but it's effective for hurting people...

I don't like to see anyone get injured, but being a huge Cowboys fan I reflect back when Michael Irvin was lying there suffering from a serious injury and the fans of the Eagles standing and applauding the injury to Irvin. Well how does it feel now? Watching Roy Williams yank T.O down the only way Roy knows how was classic in your face Philly fans. I know Irvin's career was over with his injury, but for one instance I was torn between that is too bad that he's hurt, but on the flip side I was feeling payback to all those who stood and applauded for an injury that was obviously very serious in nature that a cart had to come out and he had to be strapped in by every limb for support. Even though T.O walked off and Irvin had to be carted off it was still sweet to see all those Philly fans concerned. How does that feel now Philly fan? Thank you Roy Williams and now I hope the Eagles will suffer in the playoffs because of this.

I don't like to see anyone get injured, but being a huge Cowboys fan I reflect back when Michael Irvin was lying there suffering from a serious injury and the fans of the Eagles standing and applauding the injury to Irvin. Well how does it feel now? Watching Roy Williams yank T.O down the only way Roy knows how was classic in your face Philly fans. I know Irvin's career was over with his injury, but for one instance I was torn between that is too bad that he's hurt, but on the flip side I was feeling payback to all those who stood and applauded for an injury that was obviously very serious in nature that a cart had to come out and he had to be strapped in by every limb for support. Even though T.O walked off and Irvin had to be carted off it was still sweet to see all those Philly fans concerned. How does that feel now Philly fan? Thank you Roy Williams and now I hope the Eagles will suffer in the playoffs because of this.
Is there a reason you're cutting a pasting this exact post into multiple threads? Just curious.

Ouch...that's 3 seasons that Roy has ended this year. I wonder if the league will say anything about the way he tackles since he's now knocked out one of the biggest stars in the NFL??It's not viscious, but it's effective for hurting people...
How the #### do you legislate that kind of a tackle?

So he should let him score?

well said...must be a disgruntled Eagles fan that started this thread....Theres always next year eagles fans...hehehehe....Roy hits hard and tackles hard...nothing malicious about what he did...TO just got his foot caught...Now Donovan Darius thats a different thread altogether...

Is there a reason you're cutting a pasting this exact post into multiple threads? Just curious.
He is anxious to be known by his words and for his sentiments. We now have input on which to judge all other post made by him.

Roy Williams is a beast. He's been special ever since his days as a Sooner.
Boomer Sooner! Roy has always had WRs more concerned about where he is than where the ball is. Can't stand the Cowboys but, doesn't take away from the fact that there isn't a more physical safety in the game than Roy!

It does appear to be an effective technique but one that apparently leaves the player in an awkward position. A position that is apparently prone to injury.Can they rule against it? I think so, it would be like a face mask penalty, that is taking down a runner by a piece of equipment.They've ruled against all sorts of tackling techniques over they years. Not so long ago the clothes-line and a forearm to the head were legal.Would it be easy to call? Dunno, they hold on nearly every play. I saw at least two blocks in the back during the New Orleans kickoff run back yesterday. But if a player goes down backwards from pulling on the shoulder-pad collar, I think it would be easy to call.

It does appear to be an effective technique but one that apparently leaves the player in an awkward position. A position that is apparently prone to injury.Can they rule against it? I think so, it would be like a face mask penalty, that is taking down a runner by a piece of equipment.They've ruled against all sorts of tackling techniques over they years. Not so long ago the clothes-line and a forearm to the head were legal.Would it be easy to call? Dunno, they hold on nearly every play. I saw at least two blocks in the back during the New Orleans kickoff run back yesterday. But if a player goes down backwards from pulling on the shoulder-pad collar, I think it would be easy to call.
Geez, it's one thing to legislate forearms to the head and clotheslines. But making tackles like the one on TO illegal is going over the line IMO.

You are chasing a guy from behind, the only chance of grabbing him is by the back of jersey, you GRAB IT! imagine if D-line can't grab a RB by the jersey as he is runing through the hole?Its legal and part of football

Geez, it's one thing to legislate forearms to the head and clotheslines. But making tackles like the one on TO illegal is going over the line IMO.
And it may very well be. I'm not advocating the rule, just pointing out that it appears to be dangerous and could be ruled against.Look, that "hitting the QB rule" is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's pure judgement. How many 350 pound linemen can adjust their fight path once airborne?Just because it's stupid doesn't mean the NFL won't rule against it.

Jeez man...I'm not saying they need to do anything about it. I'm just pointing out that Roy Williams has figured out that he can take people out of the game this way. There's definitely a trend...I've heard 2 callers on 2 different sports radio channels point it out today too. I've watched every Cowboy game this season and have seen him do it about half a dozen times and he's ended the season for 3 guys that I know of...

So he should let him score?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying... :rolleyes: I'm just pointing out that there's a trend since most here haven't seen every Cowboys game...

Nobody forcet T.O. to resist being tackled. How about we enforce a rule saying all offensive players competing against Roy Williams must wear two flags on the rear of their jerseys. If he grabs one of the flags, the player is down. If he successfully grabs both flags, then it is ruled a turnover. That way nobody gets hurt. :P

Nobody forcet T.O. to resist being tackled. How about we enforce a rule saying all offensive players competing against Roy Williams must wear two flags on the rear of their jerseys. If he grabs one of the flags, the player is down. If he successfully grabs both flags, then it is ruled a turnover. That way nobody gets hurt. :P

Jeez man...I'm not saying they need to do anything about it. I'm just pointing out that Roy Williams has figured out that he can take people out of the game this way. There's definitely a trend...I've heard 2 callers on 2 different sports radio channels point it out today too. I've watched every Cowboy game this season and have seen him do it about half a dozen times and he's ended the season for 3 guys that I know of...
So you think Roy has figured it out? Did he figure it out the first time? Or did it actually take all three times for him to figure it out?You really think he tackles a certain way because he's figured out he can take people out of the game. Wow. :rotflmao: :wall:

Roy Williams tackles like that because he's always behind the play and chasing people who have beaten him :hophead:

JCOOL, you're a typical COWGIRL FAN...YOU Are all a bunch of front-runnin' ####*&$.....Michael Irvin was a jerk, is a jerk, and will always be a jerk.....
Yeah, like Terrell Owens isn't a jerk. :rolleyes: The only thing I regret is that Roy Williams didn't roll up Owens sooner. :hophead:

I was there. Most cheered when he was hit then quieted when he appeared hurt (like most humans would do). We then booed, laughed and yelled at Deion doing his stupid rain dance thing around Irvin. Very few (like anywhere else) cheered Irvin's injury. You're a clown. Get your golf clubs out.

Again, I'm just pointing out a trend that I've seen in his tackling style this year, not complaining about it!! I'm a Cowboy fan...I love Roy!!

Ouch...that's 3 seasons that Roy has ended this year.  I wonder if the league will say anything about the way he tackles since he's now knocked out one of the biggest stars in the NFL??It's not viscious, but it's effective for hurting people...
So you think Roy has figured it out? Did he figure it out the first time? Or did it actually take all three times for him to figure it out?You really think he tackles a certain way because he's figured out he can take people out of the game. Wow. :rotflmao: :wall:
I didn't notice him doing it until this season and it's been more than the 3 times where he's hurt somebody...

I don't wish injury upon anyone, but the way I see it TO's bad karma for again dancing on a Cowboys star begged this injury. Part of that karmic payback is the fact that it happened to be a star Cowboys player involved. Nothing wrong with what Williams does, and I can't see it changing rules. How about a little less hatin' in the holiday season? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that was the same exact play on MNF earlier this year that TO outran Roy Williams for a big TD in the 1st half.R-Wil took a better angle this time and got to Owens. Football is a rough-tough game, injuries are going to happen. Get over it.

Again, I'm just pointing out a trend that I've seen in his tackling style this year, not complaining about it!! I'm a Cowboy fan...I love Roy!!
So how should he have tackled him? Clearly there was a better way in your mind.

Nobody forcet T.O. to resist  being tackled.  How about we enforce a rule saying all offensive players competing against Roy Williams must wear two flags on the rear of their jerseys.  If he grabs one of the flags, the player is down.  If he successfully grabs both flags, then it is ruled a turnover.  That way nobody gets hurt.  :P
So how should he have tackled him? Clearly there was a better way in your mind.
You're absolutely right. Roy should have passed up that opportunity to tackle TO and waited for one that might be less injury prone. Of course that risks Roy getting beat and sacrificing a touchdown in a very close game, but in the heat of the moment, he should always be considering the risk of injury. It makes perfect sense. Todd Pinkston is always considering injury risk and that's made him a fan favorite in Philly hasn't it? Everbody loved him when he wussed out on the catch against Washington. I'm gonna go back and watch game film of Deacon Jones or **** Butkus and see how many times they missed an opportunity to make a tackle because it might be slightly more dangerous. :rolleyes: Was that over the top? Yes, but no more than the thought that Roy should pass up an opportunity to make a tackle. People said that if they wanted TO to stop celebrating his touchdowns, then don't let him into the endzone. Juxtapose that with this situation and I say if you don't want to be tackled from behind, run faster.

Found a picture of the Musa Smith tackle for those that missed it...http://www.mustangmods.com/data/34/musasmitchleg.jpgHe basically grabs on and falls on the back of their legs, or just yanks them backwards and folds them up like a pretzel...
That picture says a lot. IF that's a technique he's using frequently, the intent is clear, and it's more than just making the tackle.Boot. :popcorn:
Wow, what a clear bit of evidence of intent. Glad you brought this out as evidence of what was going on in Roy's mind as he made the tackle. You can almost see the blueprints and flowcharts spill out of his earhole.Are you Dionne Warwick, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?*Edited to ask, what the hell is this "boot" business as your sig? That doesn't make you look ridiculous or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
karma.####head.

I agree with this thread starter. In the preseason, Roy had a very similar tackle on Tyrone Calico which occurred out of bounds actually where he dragged him down by the shoulder pads and ended his season. So you chalk it up to a fluky play, right?Then he does it with Musa Smith. Same exact type of tackle. Then he does it with Owens and ends his season. It's not a coincidence. It's definitely technique on his part. He knows that when you tackle someone like that, their legs are in compromising situations and likely to break. You can technically dive at someone's knee's and twist their ankles as you tackle them and it isn't a penalty. But it's dirty. Roy's tackles are the same way. Not illegal, but in that grey area, if not flat out dirty. He's creating all kinds of bad karma for himself but I guess he's having fun in the process. Gotta do something to entertain yourself when you are on such a putrid team I guess. And for the record, Roy is vastly overrated. Great hitter, but just awful in coverage. He's been awful this yr.

As distraught as I am to see TO get hurt, I'm just not buying that Roy Williams somehow intended to injure him with his tackling "technique." Honestly, football is a violent game and the way TO went down could happen dozens of times in every game IMHO. A clotheline is hard to defend; chop blocks are inexcusable IMHO but that tackle was really a sad twist of fate for Eagles fans, nothing more, nothing less.

Arguing with stumps...those who say Roy's tackling isn't meant to injure are the same who argued that the hit on McGahee in the Championship wasn't intentional.Look...it's a tough, violent game...and often times in order to be successful, especially on defense...you've got to have the mentality to absolutely brutalize the opponent. Some take it too far...Roy is definitely one in that category. It only takes one tackle like that to cause you to alter your technique...he's cut short some careers and he's still doing it...you can't tell me he's oblivious to what he's doing...how can he do it three times in one season and not realize it? He knows what he's doing...it's simple...grab the shoulder pads and sit down...as long as you don't let go...that guy is going down...no two ways about it...and more times than not...it's going to hurt the legs he's landing on the back of...

Arguing with stumps...those who say Roy's tackling isn't meant to injure are the same who argued that the hit on McGahee in the Championship wasn't intentional.Look...it's a tough, violent game...and often times in order to be successful, especially on defense...you've got to have the mentality to absolutely brutalize the opponent. Some take it too far...Roy is definitely one in that category. It only takes one tackle like that to cause you to alter your technique...he's cut short some careers and he's still doing it...you can't tell me he's oblivious to what he's doing...how can he do it three times in one season and not realize it? He knows what he's doing...it's simple...grab the shoulder pads and sit down...as long as you don't let go...that guy is going down...no two ways about it...and more times than not...it's going to hurt the legs he's landing on the back of...
Sometimes it hurts to get tackled. They play football. Get over it.

While I'm sure we'll never know if he has intent to injure, the technique does appear to be dangerous. If the NFL finds it to be dangerous they may very well act.I don't believe it's mere coincidence that three guys were severely injured by the same tackling technique. If he has to resort to grabbing the BACK of the pads, he's got himself in a poor position. I've seen plenty of guys able to grab a runner around the waist from that position and bring them down. To grab the pads and swing your body into the back of the runners legs looks to be a cheap shot to me. Similar to leg whipping or crack back blocks. There was a crack back called last night. Didn't look very serious, but the rule was enforced.These guys were knocked out for the season by this technique. TO may very well have permanent damage to his ankle. Fractured bone, torn ligaments, high ankle sprain. Is this lame ### technique that y'all defend worth ruining a guy's career over? You seem to make him out to be some wild man who flies around taking guys out with good technique. News flash, Jack Tatum was an wild man. This guy Williams has to resort to some punk ### knee clipping method because he can't get himself in the proper tackling position because he's too slow, too stupid or too lazy.That should stur the natives up. ;)

While I'm sure we'll never know if he has intent to injure, the technique does appear to be dangerous. If the NFL finds it to be dangerous they may very well act.I don't believe it's mere coincidence that three guys were severely injured by the same tackling technique. If he has to resort to grabbing the BACK of the pads, he's got himself in a poor position. I've seen plenty of guys able to grab a runner around the waist from that position and bring them down. To grab the pads and swing your body into the back of the runners legs looks to be a cheap shot to me. Similar to leg whipping or crack back blocks. There was a crack back called last night. Didn't look very serious, but the rule was enforced.These guys were knocked out for the season by this technique. TO may very well have permanent damage to his ankle. Fractured bone, torn ligaments, high ankle sprain. Is this lame ### technique that y'all defend worth ruining a guy's career over? You seem to make him out to be some wild man who flies around taking guys out with good technique. News flash, Jack Tatum was an wild man. This guy Williams has to resort to some punk ### knee clipping method because he can't get himself in the proper tackling position because he's too slow, too stupid or too lazy.That should stur the natives up. ;)
If you think Roy has bad technique, you obviously haven't played much football, understand the safety position, and/or seen much of him play. The guy is a straight-up baller who has terrific tackling technique. I know, I know...You fantasy numbers geeks wouldn't understand.

While I'm sure we'll never know if he has intent to injure, the technique does appear to be dangerous. If the NFL finds it to be dangerous they may very well act.I don't believe it's mere coincidence that three guys were severely injured by the same tackling technique. If he has to resort to grabbing the BACK of the pads, he's got himself in a poor position. I've seen plenty of guys able to grab a runner around the waist from that position and bring them down. To grab the pads and swing your body into the back of the runners legs looks to be a cheap shot to me. Similar to leg whipping or crack back blocks. There was a crack back called last night. Didn't look very serious, but the rule was enforced.These guys were knocked out for the season by this technique. TO may very well have permanent damage to his ankle. Fractured bone, torn ligaments, high ankle sprain. Is this lame ### technique that y'all defend worth ruining a guy's career over? You seem to make him out to be some wild man who flies around taking guys out with good technique. News flash, Jack Tatum was an wild man. This guy Williams has to resort to some punk ### knee clipping method because he can't get himself in the proper tackling position because he's too slow, too stupid or too lazy.That should stir the natives up. ;)
If you think Roy has bad technique, you obviously haven't played much football, understand the safety position, and/or seen much of him play. The guy is a straight-up baller who has terrific tackling technique. I know, I know...You fantasy numbers geeks wouldn't understand.
That, is a personal attack, little boy, and not appreciated. You have no idea who I am, what my football experience is, or my knowledge level of the game.OTOH, it's clear that YOU don't know proper tackling techniques that have been taught for years. I don't recall the "grab the pads and swing your punk ### into his legs" being taught in all my years.You seem to be some Roy Williams homer who doesn't like him being called a punk. Or is it a Sooner homer? Is that where he went to school? Hell, that explains it all!He's a punk little boy, get used to it.

While I'm sure we'll never know if he has intent to injure, the technique does appear to be dangerous.
Going over the middle is dangerous. Maybe they should outlaw WRs from doing that. Maybe they should just put on flags; play a little touch football. Robert Edwards aside, that might reduce injuries. If you're so worried about it, maybe your new NFL would have these guys wearing tutus and ballerina slippers.

OTOH, it's clear that YOU don't know proper tackling techniques that have been taught for years. I don't recall the "grab the pads and swing your punk ### into his legs" being taught in all my years.
You wanna know what proper tackling technique is? Anything that is in the rules and stops your opponent from making a first down. Period.

OTOH, it's clear that YOU don't know proper tackling techniques that have been taught for years. I don't recall the "grab the pads and swing your punk ### into his legs" being taught in all my years.
You wanna know what proper tackling technique is? Anything that is in the rules and stops your opponent from making a first down. Period.
And that's the point, isn't it? Right now, it's within the rules. But if it's deemed dangerous, it should be ruled as such and made illegal.Punk ### little girly man tackle if you ask me. You should know better Slash. I respect your opinion. Not that cobat_boy.

Users who are viewing this thread