What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scottie Sheffler On Defining "Success" (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4bpV0dPhdv/?igsh=MWFpMDkwajRjbzhi

Thought this was great.

If you know me, you know, I care next to nothing about an athlete's accomplishments.

I’m guessing a big part of Scheffler‘s success is that he’s surrounded by people who feel the same way. Obviously, golf is very important. He pours a ton of work into it and has for a long time since he was a little kid. Clearly, it provides huge financial benefits.

But it doesn’t seem like golf success defines him. Nor does it define him for the people around him.

In a day and age where it seems like parents see kids almost like “projects” driving them to success at almost any cost, this was nice to see.

If you know me, you know, I care next to nothing about an athlete's accomplishments.
Uh, Joe, don't you make a living by caring very much about whether an athlete, say, ran for 115 yards and a score? :lmao:

Sorry. I mean their performance on the field has no effect on how much I care for them as a person.

I care VERY much if I can predict their performance accurately. ;)

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Schefler might be the best golfer and for all I know the nicest dude in the world, but he's boring as dried mud. Even for a pro. And to say golf doesn't define him ... um, he got lessons at the age of 6 from the teacher of of Justin leonard who had just won the British Open. not only does it define him, it's all he's ever known. I did this for a living on mini-tours. Many of these guys make up a narrative to fit what they want to believe they are. Schefler is 100% defined by golf, on and off the course. No matter what he says. It's 8-12 hours of every day of his life.

Schefler might be the best golfer and for all I know the nicest dude in the world, but he's boring as dried mud. Even for a pro. And to say golf doesn't define him ... um, he got lessons at the age of 6 from the teacher of of Justin leonard who had just won the British Open. not only does it define him, it's all he's ever known. I did this for a living on mini-tours. Many of these guys make up a narrative to fit what they want to believe they are. Schefler is 100% defined by golf, on and off the course. No matter what he says. It's 8-12 hours of every day of his life.
Care to share some details of what it was like or can you point me to another post where you have done this? Personally I think it would be most interesting. What's the separation between playing on the mini-tours and kicking around the bottom of the PGA.

Care to share some details of what it was like or can you point me to another post where you have done this? Personally I think it would be most interesting. What's the separation between playing on the mini-tours and kicking around the bottom of the PGA.
Knowing a few guys in both buckets, it’s basically some financial backing and a fraction of a stroke per round. I’m adamantly told the margin is that thin.

Putting is what the pro's will tell you. I played in a Pro-am years ago with a guy that was a fringe tour player, Daniel Chopra. He said the difference is putting and your short game. Be interested to hear @Brunell4MVP story.

Seems to me the key is to have friends or family or whoever who will still tell you that you are being a jackass when you are, in fact, being a jackass.

Knowing a few guys in both buckets, it’s basically some financial backing and a fraction of a stroke per round. I’m adamantly told the margin is that thin.
It is. It's in between the ears and on the green. Everyone out there hits it like a robot from tee to green.

It is. It's in between the ears and on the green. Everyone out there hits it like a robot from tee to green.
Well, maybe not Aaron Baddeley but yeah...

Would also love to hear details about how you did this for a living.

And I maybe wasn't clear, from what I hear him saying, he's saying golf doesn't define him. More specifically, success in golf doesn't define him.

Do you think he's lying and "making up a narrative"? @Brunell4MVP @urbanhack @CGRdrJoe @Irish3 @ChiefD @The Gator @Willie Neslon

Last edited:
It's interesting to hear him say that success in golf doesn't define him, because it appears he's on the trajectory to being one of the top golfers of all time (one of the GOAT's, the kids might say?). So it makes me think about what I've heard and read about other guys in that upper-most echelon, like a Michael Jordan and a Tom Brady - guys who are just uber ultra driven and competitive and I've always thought that was what it took to be that upper 0.1%...

Would also love to hear details about how you did this for a living.

And I maybe wasn't clear, from what I hear him saying, he's saying golf doesn't define him. More specifically, success in golf doesn't define him.

Do you think he's lying and "making up a narrative"? @Brunell4MVP @urbanhack @CGRdrJoe @Irish3 @ChiefD @The Gator @Willie Neslon
Who knows? I just think it's easy to say you're not defined by success when you're currently the most successful. He does seem like a good guy though.

There can be a difference between how I define myself and how others define me. From Schefler's perspective, he defines himself by his faith or family or whatever. From a fan's perspective, they define him by golf. If golf goes away tomorrow, Schefler still has the things that he says make him what he is. If golf goes away tomorrow, he will fade from memory over time and will be mostly unknown and have no way for people he doesn't know to define him.

There can be a difference between how I define myself and how others define me. From Schefler's perspective, he defines himself by his faith or family or whatever. From a fan's perspective, they define him by golf. If golf goes away tomorrow, Schefler still has the things that he says make him what he is. If golf goes away tomorrow, he will fade from memory over time and will be mostly unknown and have no way for people he doesn't know to define him.

For sure. As I understand him, he's only talking about how he and his family/friends see him.

It's interesting to hear him say that success in golf doesn't define him, because it appears he's on the trajectory to being one of the top golfers of all time (one of the GOAT's, the kids might say?). So it makes me think about what I've heard and read about other guys in that upper-most echelon, like a Michael Jordan and a Tom Brady - guys who are just uber ultra driven and competitive and I've always thought that was what it took to be that upper 0.1%...

I think that's interesting too. And I think you're right, for people at the very top of their field, obsessing over the thing they're known for can overtake other parts of their lives.

They make the sacrifice in other areas in order to be the best at their thing.

That's what seems interesting about Sheffler as at least from what he's saying, that's not how he sees it.

Scottie returned to HP (Dallas) Sunday night and went straight to the Inwood Tavern, still wearing his green jacket. :lmao:

Legend.

For those unfamiliar, Highland Park is one of the most boujee places in the country, with very high cost of living, giant McMansions and lucky sperm-clubbers. The Inwood Tavern is a dive bar that serves as a refuge for those who want to escape the posh places and elegant eateries where people go to be seen and has probably been on the verge of shut-down by city inspectors for decades. It was a dump when I used to go there in the 90s with a fake ID. The fact that Scottie made a stop in there on his way home to his pregnant wife, taking time to get a photo with a couple of the workers or bar flies just makes me like him even more. Just a real dude.

Also, agree completely with your comments @General Malaise , but I'm not so sure that "hey honey, I know you're about to burst and I've been crazy busy the last week with work and haven't seen you but I'll be home two hours late because I'm gonna stop in and see the guys at this dive bar... oh, also I haven't showered yet" would fly in my household. :lmao:

Also, agree completely with your comments @General Malaise , but I'm not so sure that "hey honey, I know you're about to burst and I've been crazy busy the last week with work and haven't seen you but I'll be home two hours late because I'm gonna stop in and see the guys at this dive bar... oh, also I haven't showered yet" would fly in my household. :lmao:

Nor mine. So either Meredith isn't as close to labor as the media portrayed or she's wired a LOT differently than Mrs. Malaise and Mrs. Zow (and likely 99% of all Mrs. FBGs).

Nor mine. So either Meredith isn't as close to labor as the media portrayed or she's wired a LOT differently than Mrs. Malaise and Mrs. Zow (and likely 99% of all Mrs. FBGs).
Yep.

Also, to be clear, Mrs. Woz would probably join me at the dive bar to celebrate a big accomplishment if she wasn't pregnant so no inherent issues there (heck, we actually hit up a local watering hole that we went a bunch when dating after our wedding reception in our wedding attire), but zero chance me not coming straight home when she could go into labor at any second and I've been gone a week playing golf would fly.

Scottie returned to HP (Dallas) Sunday night and went straight to the Inwood Tavern, still wearing his green jacket. :lmao:

Legend.

For those unfamiliar, Highland Park is one of the most boujee places in the country, with very high cost of living, giant McMansions and lucky sperm-clubbers. The Inwood Tavern is a dive bar that serves as a refuge for those who want to escape the posh places and elegant eateries where people go to be seen and has probably been on the verge of shut-down by city inspectors for decades. It was a dump when I used to go there in the 90s with a fake ID. The fact that Scottie made a stop in there on his way home to his pregnant wife, taking time to get a photo with a couple of the workers or bar flies just makes me like him even more. Just a real dude.
Sounds terrible. I've made note of the address to make sure I never end up there.

Sorry for the delay. Work :)

PGA Tour vs mini tours is immense IMO. Bigger than anyone thinks. I was a +5 handicap. I could shoot 66-70 pretty much every day. Doing it under pressure, with people watching, when your tour card is on the line, when you just paid for hotels, when you've been traveling by car for weeks on end and are running out of money .... well that takes something special. The top 50 guys on the PGA Tour are +8 handicaps in tournaments. 3-4 shots at that level is enormous. Yes I'm old and did this 25-30 years ago. So the kids have it a bit easier now. But the talent difference is still enormous between the levels.

1) Physically .... just like guys in the NBA and NFL are bigger, stronger and faster. in golf, while physical makeup like flexibilty, build, hip speed, etc matters ... more so it is the technical skills like ability to recreate the same shot over and over, touch, and hand eye coordination. More like being a good FT shooter. Much of it is natural ability. And some is what you learn growing up. Just like an elite college QB that has foot movement or arm angle issues going into the NFL, almost all golfers have poor tendencies they learned growing up (inside out swing, angle of attack, putting stroke, bunker game, etc.) . Some QBs overcome those flaws they had and become elite. Some don't. Likewise some golfers overcome their poor tendencies. Others don't. Some were taught so well they don't have much to overcome. In my case, I could not overcome some poor tendencies with my short game no matter how hard I tried. It's really good still to the average golfer But it's absolutely nowhere near tour level and I still play with some Senior Tour guys. They are happy to give hints. I just can't make it happen. All on me. ETA ... this is why in Asia and Sweden many girls never step on a golf course until they have perfect swings. They get it right in a simulator. Thus the mostly Asian and Scandinavian dominance on the LPGA tours the last 20 years (Nelly aside). There are no faults to overcome doing it this way.

2) Mentally ... once you have the above, you have to be able to focus, deliver when it matters, work ethic, and above all else confidence. It's hard to have confidence when you know you aren't doing a certain part of your game correctly. With the NFL comp ... assume a LB in the NFL has a tendency to maybe move up too soon on run plays, or a CB has a tendency to flips their hips wrong. It's hard to overcome. The average person says just do it the right way. It's hard when your mind tells you something else. Really hard.

3) Timing .... if you aren't top 50 in the world, you also have to get lucky with when you play well. Like play well in an important event, get a sponsors invite and do something special, qualify for a US Open, Monday Q for a PGA event (I was first alternate 3 times for those). Just like a WR needs the luck (or timing) to be with a good QB, or have a good junior year, or play well in a big game ... that's the same for all sports. Doing something great at the right time gives you the chance to parlay it into something bigger.

People say the difference is minute for golf. I can see how someone on the outside looking in thinks that. It just isn't IMO. Like being a starting QB in the NFL versus 3rd string .. is the difference in Mahomes and 3rd stringer Ian Book small? I'd say it's enormous.

Back to Scottie. Sure he's an nice, polite, easy-going dude. But he is a golfer through and through. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But for it not to be how he defines himself .. maybe that's how he sees it. But it is exactly how everyone in the world defines him.

Last edited:
I have met Scottie at our local course where he played for Texas. He is very down to earth. But he also said last week, when he plays he is very driven to win and hates losing (assume he means not finishing 1st). When he struggles with his game he can show quite a bit of frustration out on the course. However the last 9 at The Masters, he was pretty much in the zone.

PGA Tour vs mini tours is immense IMO. Bigger than anyone thinks. I was a +5 handicap. I could shoot 66-70 pretty much every day. Doing it under pressure, with people watching, when your tour card is on the line, when you just paid for hotels, when you've been traveling by car for weeks on end and are running out of money .... well that takes something special. The top 50 guys on the PGA Tour are +8 handicaps in tournaments. 3-4 shots at that level is enormous. Yes I'm old and did this 25-30 years ago. So the kids have it a bit easier now. But the talent difference is still enormous between the levels.

1) Physically .... just like guys in the NBA and NFL are bigger, stronger and faster. in golf, while physical makeup like flexibilty, build, hip speed, etc matters ... more so it is the technical skills like ability to recreate the same shot over and over, touch, and hand eye coordination. More like being a good FT shooter. Much of it is natural ability. And some is what you learn growing up. Just like an elite college QB that has foot movement or arm angle issues going into the NFL, almost all golfers have poor tendencies they learned growing up (inside out swing, angle of attack, putting stroke, bunker game, etc.) . Some QBs overcome those flaws they had and become elite. Some don't. Likewise some golfers overcome their poor tendencies. Others don't. Some were taught so well they don't have much to overcome. In my case, I could not overcome some poor tendencies with my short game no matter how hard I tried. It's really good still to the average golfer But it's absolutely nowhere near tour level and I still play with some Senior Tour guys. They are happy to give hints. I just can't make it happen. All on me. ETA ... this is why in Asia and Sweden many girls never step on a golf course until they have perfect swings. They get it right in a simulator. Thus the mostly Asian and Scandinavian dominance on the LPGA tours the last 20 years (Nelly aside). There are no faults to overcome doing it this way.

2) Mentally ... once you have the above, you have to be able to focus, deliver when it matters, work ethic, and above all else confidence. It's hard to have confidence when you know you aren't doing a certain part of your game correctly. With the NFL comp ... assume a LB in the NFL has a tendency to maybe move up too soon on run plays, or a CB has a tendency to flips their hips wrong. It's hard to overcome. The average person says just do it the right way. It's hard when your mind tells you something else. Really hard.

3) Timing .... if you aren't top 50 in the world, you also have to get lucky with when you play well. Like play well in an important event, get a sponsors invite and do something special, qualify for a US Open, Monday Q for a PGA event (I was first alternate 3 times for those). Just like a WR needs the luck (or timing) to be with a good QB, or have a good junior year, or play well in a big game ... that's the same for all sports. Doing something great at the right time gives you the chance to parlay it into something bigger.

People say the difference is minute for golf. I can see how someone on the outside looking in thinks that. It just isn't IMO. Like being a starting QB in the NFL versus 3rd string .. is the difference in Mahomes and 3rd stringer Ian Book small? I'd say it's enormous.

Back to Scottie. Sure he's an nice, polite, easy-going dude. But he is a golfer through and through. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But for it not to be how he defines himself .. maybe that's how he sees it. But it is exactly how everyone in the world defines him.
What mini-tours were you playing back then? Nike Tour? Canadian?

Sure. I think that's exactly the point - He's talking about how he sees himself. And those closest to him see him.

Of course, almost everyone in the world who "knows" him, me included, only know him because of Golf. He's not talking about them and can't control much of that.

As I said above, I understand him from the video https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4bpV0dPhdv/?igsh=MWFpMDkwajRjbzhi to be saying golf success doesn't define him.

It's why I didn't understand your comment:

And to say golf doesn't define him ... um, he got lessons at the age of 6 from the teacher of of Justin leonard who had just won the British Open. not only does it define him, it's all he's ever known. I did this for a living on mini-tours. Many of these guys make up a narrative to fit what they want to believe they are. Schefler is 100% defined by golf, on and off the course. No matter what he says.

I don't think he's lying or talking about a "made up narrative". But only he knows that.

Either way, thought it was interesting.

Is it really different than anything else?

I'm really good at my job ..... but Computer Science doesn't define me....

I don't see it what the kerfuffle is here....

Absolutely. I spend 10 hours a day trying to make Footballguys better. But success or failure of FBG doesn't define me.

I do think there are plenty of people not like you or me or Sheffler apparently on this though. I know lots of people who do define themselves by success at their job.

Pretty much this. I think as a society, especially when someone is the best at something; we try to find out why and what makes them tick. Where does their genius come from? Why are they so good? What differentiates them? The overarching answer of talent, the means and hard work are pretty boring. I like Scottie but I think he’s just currently the best golfer in the world, not some generational unique genius.

Absolutely. I spend 10 hours a day trying to make Footballguys better. But success or failure of FBG doesn't define me.

I do think there are plenty of people not like you or me or Sheffler apparently on this though. I know lots of people who do define themselves by success at their job.
Yeah, this is somewhat of an unclear issue. I work a million hours at my job, I believe I do very good work, I have been in the press for work accolades, the income is probably the most obvious benefit I provide to my loved ones, and if I'm introduced to somebody what I do is probably mentioned in that introductory couple of sentences. So, yeah, it's hard to escape the public perception and it's so much of my life that it would certainly be a part of how I define myself.

The above notwithstanding, speaking personally about how one defines himself I think depends at the stage on is in during their life. Using myself as an example, when I was a teenager I probably defined myself by my athletic endeavors and my adherence to the Catholic faith. In my twenties, I probably defined myself by the quality and quantity of girls I slept with (as pathetic as that may sound, I'm just being honest). In my early to mid 30s, I defined myself as being the type of guy to be both very good at his job but still also be able to excel at sports. Late 30s to 40s, having adopted 4 kids, I now define myself as being able to provide for a large family successfully. So, really, it varies.

Moving on to Scottie, I surmise he's at a point in his life where he's reached the pinnacle of his golf career and he's about to have a kid so his priority has focused. So, since golf is now relatively "easy" for him it's natural that he doesn't want to define himself by something easy but, instead, by the new life event because doing so both demonstrates inner growth to himself and gives him that future thing to be motivated by.

Would any athlete answer yes to "does success in (their sport) define you"? Would any non-athlete answer yes to that question?

I don't think for a second Scottie wasn't being genuine but the whole exchange seemed a little premeditated to me. I know I'm being cynical but anytime I see stuff like this on social media I'm skeptical. The production value of Instagram video gives it away a little. For a good guy like Scottie it's probably not that tough to promote a likable image but they still have to get stuff like this out there for public consumption in order to rake in the big dollars. Only a select few can pitch products forever. For someone like Scottie the time to earn is now.

I think there are multiple levels of "defining" someone though.

I ask a random internet fantasy football fan about Joe Bryant? They'll define you as "The FootballGuys Dude".

I ask a random acquaintance about Joe Bryant? They'll probably say something like "Good businessman, great guy."

I ask a friend about Joe Bryant? "Really great guy. Great family man. Strong in his faith. Good businessman."

I ask YOU about Joe Bryant? There's where your personal definition comes in.

All of these are correct definitions. The last one is the one that's most important to you and I think that's what Scottie was referring to.

I ask a random internet fantasy football fan about Joe Bryant? They'll define you as "The FootballGuys Dude".

I ask a random acquaintance about Joe Bryant? They'll probably say something like "Good businessman, great guy."

I ask a friend about Joe Bryant? "Really great guy. Great family man. Strong in his faith. Good businessman."

All of these are correct definitions. The last one is the one that's most important to you and I think that's what Scottie was referring to.
Yeah this is said better than what I was trying to say a couple posts above.

Thank you GB.

I think that's a great way to sum it up.

Would any athlete answer yes to "does success in (their sport) define you"? Would any non-athlete answer yes to that question?

Publicly, I think most people would not say yes.

But I think lots of people privately do see themselves as defined by success in their career.

But. Most people aren't asked that directly.

I think the context from the original post is important.

Sheffler wasn't asked directly if he defines himself by golf success.

He was asked how he stays grounded.

And his answer involves the fact that he does not define himself by golf success.

What mini-tours were you playing back then? Nike Tour? Canadian?
TearDrop, Hogan (which became Nike), Coastal Carolina, a mix of Florida tours, etc. It's a rough life. Shoot 65 or better, or lose money. Most of the guys at my home course don't even know I did them. A few do. Got amateur status back. Looking back, most of the people on them including me never had the ability for the PGA T. When you are in the moment you say ... if only I can get better at x, y, z I can drop a few shots and make it. The odds are super super low if you aren't an immediate star.

I think it's much easier to have this perspective and mindset when you're at the top of your game and financially secure. Scottie has made >$25M from the start of last golf season in tournament winnings alone. I question if he'd have this same mindset if he was one of the guys struggling to keep his tour card.

Do you still spend any time devoted to your boat business, or is that all handled by other staff?

Do you still spend any time devoted to your boat business, or is that all handled by other staff?
Hi @dickey moe. No, I sold the boat business a few years ago. All Footballguys for me now.

I think it's much easier to have this perspective and mindset when you're at the top of your game and financially secure. Scottie has made >$25M from the start of last golf season in tournament winnings alone. I question if he'd have this same mindset if he was one of the guys struggling to keep his tour card.

That's a fair point.

Although I can see how once you get to the top, staying at the top and all the bonuses that come with being on top would be something that I can see would be easy to let define you.

Hi @dickey moe. No, I sold the boat business a few years ago. All Footballguys for me now.
Oh ok, I guess I was out of the loop on that. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread