What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scottie Sheffler On Defining "Success" (2 Viewers)

Officer reprimanded for not having body cam operating

So confirmation that he should have had the cam operating. And that they issued a strongly worded note in his personnel file.

I have zero clue how they can possibly even be thinking of continuing to try to charge him when the available evidence shows no such thing and when the “evidence” that would back the officer’s claims doesn’t exist because he wasn’t recording like he was required to be.

There definitely is something missing on the video though that had to have happened earlier because one of the reporters did say he thought the officer likely just tripped and fell. So the officer did hit the ground at some point which this video doesn’t show. But I don’t see how any jury or judge would possibly say beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer’s story is true. Very possibly if the driver was Joe Schmoe, but not when the driver is Scottie Scheffler.

Serious question: can just anybody become a police officer? Are there tests or review boards or interviews? The ineptitude of some of these folks is alarming.

Serious question: can just anybody become a police officer? Are there tests or review boards or interviews? The ineptitude of some of these folks is alarming.
Serious answer in most jurisdictions is HS degree or equivalency, pass an interview, pass a drug exam, and pass a background check. Every country, state, county, and city in the world is desperate for police officers. Low pay and high risk don't equate to the super smart and overedcuated signing up. I think trash collectors make more in our county. Like most govt jobs, there are some bright ones that love the cause and do awesome work. But the majority are there because they had limited options, and of those many don't have much common sense.

That's at the club's gate. This is well after he brutally and remorselessly assaulted the officer.

I think the best case scenario would be he takes a plea deal of about 18 months and then for his work assignment he teaches golf to the convicts in the prison yard. What a story it would be if one of his fellow inmates makes it to the tour. I can hear Jimmy Roberts' voice already.
Maybe he can coach up a group of inmates to take on the guards Ryder Cup style

Serious answer in most jurisdictions is HS degree or equivalency, pass an interview, pass a drug exam, and pass a background check. Every country, state, county, and city in the world is desperate for police officers. Low pay and high risk don't equate to the super smart and overedcuated signing up. I think trash collectors make more in our county. Like most govt jobs, there are some bright ones that love the cause and do awesome work. But the majority are there because they had limited options, and of those many don't have much common sense.
Right. Definitely some really good ones, but a lot of people who got bullied in school and want the "power."

The Louisville police and DA have got to be thinking "How do we get ourselves out of this without looking dooshier than we already look?"

The Louisville police and DA have got to be thinking "How do we get ourselves out of this without looking dooshier than we already look?"
Hire Inspector Clouseau?

Inspector Clouseau: Don't you find it a bit of a coincidence zat ze body fell perfectly within ze chalk outline on ze floor?

Ponton: I think they drew the chalk outline later.

Inspector Clouseau: Ah! We are dealing with some kind of mastermind.

Each video gets worse and worst for the power-tripping liar employed by the LPD. With Sheffler's resources and microphone he could absolutely bury the guy, but he won't.

Each video gets worse and worst for the power-tripping liar employed by the LPD. With Sheffler's resources and microphone he could absolutely bury the guy, but he won't.

I imagine he just wants this whole thing to go away. I mean, a person is dead. That should be the story but we love drama don't we.

There's a bunch of guys talking about digging holes here that could help Scottie. Don't want hole digging to mess with his swing.

A few notes of input here:

1. Yes, it's a job that generally just requires a clean record and a HS diploma. But, there are some jurisdictions (probably those that pay better) where the job is pretty competitive so you see a lot of college grads with criminal justice or prelaw type degrees. I was an adjunct professor at the local community college in my prior jurisdiction and about half of my students were there for law enforcement and went into it.
2. Yes, in most jurisdictions the salaries are pretty low, but the benefits are usually very good and there are usually opportunities for OT, private gigs, or the chance to have a side business because of the favorable hours. So, I respectfully disagree that it's just an all out 'low pay" job.
3. In I believe all jurisdictions officers must go through a decently rigorous academy that tests both physical fitness and legal knowledge. I believe far more focus should be put into the latter, but nonetheless it isn't like an officer just waltzes into the position knowing absolutely nothing about it. And, usually, an officer is a "field training officer" (works immediately under a more veteran officer) so that helps.

Right. Definitely some really good ones, but a lot of people who got bullied in school and want the "power."
I think of cops as those that were bullies in high school and want to go pro in bullying

I think of cops as those that were bullies in high school and want to go pro in bullying
I know a lot of cops 99% are great people trying to do the right thing. These good ones are also quitting because of the public perception that they can't do anything good no matter how good of a cop they were. It is an absolutely no win situation for them and the ones that are good at their job (there are a lot more good ones than bad ones) eventually get beaten down so much they just give up. Soon the ratio will flip for sure.

When was the last time you saw a story about a cop doing a good job? The public/media don't want any part of those stories so they are never out there. Because of this it seems like there are only bad cops and nothing good happening. The public then base their interactions on these bad reports and immediately start escalating situations even when it isn't necessary. It gets scary for everyone (public and cops) real quick and then very bad things happen.

I don't know the answer at all but the more stuff like this happens and all cops get lumped into these poor situations the worse it will get. It's a no win situation and I cannot understand why anyone would sign up to be in law enforcement.

I know a lot of cops 99% are great people trying to do the right thing. These good ones are also quitting because of the public perception that they can't do anything good no matter how good of a cop they were. It is an absolutely no win situation for them and the ones that are good at their job (there are a lot more good ones than bad ones) eventually get beaten down so much they just give up. Soon the ratio will flip for sure.

When was the last time you saw a story about a cop doing a good job? The public/media don't want any part of those stories so they are never out there. Because of this it seems like there are only bad cops and nothing good happening. The public then base their interactions on these bad reports and immediately start escalating situations even when it isn't necessary. It gets scary for everyone (public and cops) real quick and then very bad things happen.

I don't know the answer at all but the more stuff like this happens and all cops get lumped into these poor situations the worse it will get. It's a no win situation and I cannot understand why anyone would sign up to be in law enforcement.

I posted a video on social media of two police officers rescuing baby ducklings a few years ago. I called 911 and stayed on scene. Wrote the department a thank you note. Thought maybe it would be nice to share some nice footage of police officers doing good things.

I posted a video on social media of two police officers rescuing baby ducklings a few years ago. I called 911 and stayed on scene. Wrote the department a thank you note. Thought maybe it would be nice to share some nice footage of police officers doing good things.
How much "visibility" did the story get? Did it get picked up by the local news or anything else? My guess is that it did not.

How much "visibility" did the story get? Did it get picked up by the local news or anything else? My guess is that it did not.

I tagged the department on the gram and they responded, but that was that. It would have made a great news story though and I should have pushed harder for it since the police around here are heavily criticized.

Here for regular police you need HS diploma, background test, then pass the academy.

For State Police it requires I think 2 years of college or military service or a combination of both and pass their own academy.

mQBCO.gif

I don't blame the police at all, I'm sure Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident rather than take it slow and show some respect for the officers forced to be out there

Really? How could you possibly be SURE of that.

Obviously we dont know exactly what "the officer attached himself to the car" means. (and if he was holding on and Scottie kept driving and dragged him, that's obviously not ok) but 99.9999% chance this was just a misunderstanding compounded with it being dark and rainy and things just got out of hand. I seriously doubt Scottie just said "Oh well....gotta get to the putting green" and slalomed through a police barricade doing 30.
I'll tell you why...for the exact reasons I cannot even believe I'm reading...
In this day and age where police are under scrutiny to start with, I assume if it got to that level and they told everyone watching that he was going to jail no getting around it, figured he did not do exactly what they asked or expected of him.
We're talking about the #1 golfer in the world and we've seen what Tiger has done in the past, I put nothing pat golfers, played 18 holes a week ago and saw some crazy stuff while I was out there, just assumed but OK, let's give SS the benefit of the doubt, sure

-I live in Jupiter/Palm Beach, golf capital it seems and I run/part-owner of a small craft beer store on the weekends, tons of golf folks in the store when I'm there...they can be very assumptive sometimes because they seem to have the funds to make any issues go away

Just my experiences

Ok....so because a bunch of schmuck weekend hackers and rich Florida people acted like idiots.....you're SURE that Scottie Scheffler (who before this incident had a SPOTLESS record of conduct and by all accounts is like the nicest guy on tour despite also being the best player) "drove like a maniac" and disrespected the police. A good history doesn't mean he maybe wasn't partially (or even totally. We dont know yet) in the wrong here.....but you're SURE?.....because "you put nothing past golfers"

Makes plenty of sense. :<_<:
Actually, most of the golfers until about now are largely made up of snowbirds from New York, are you familiar with that state?
Let's dial it down a notch, take it down a level and stop with the Florida bashing, think this took place in Kentucky
Normally a fan Telef but you are being a hot head for no particular reason

Cheers

You're the one who brought up the behavior of the golfers in your neck of the woods as some sort of weird "proof" that Scheffler probably did something wrong. (since....ya know...he's a golfer too) Not me. :shrug:

Your original stance was that you were "sure that Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident" and disrespected the police. The idea that you could be SURE of that was absurd man. Using behavior of local golfers (or Tiger Woods for that matter. What does one guy's behavior have to do with the other?) that you've seen to support that crazy statement made absolutely zero sense. Some drunk bros acting like idiots on the course "because Saturdays are for the Boys!!!11" means absolutely nothing when we're talking about what Scheffler may or may not have done.

And with all due respect (I have absolutely no issue with you at all. You're always a positive contributor to the Jets thread and generally a good sport IMO), you calling someone else a hothead is pretty much the definition of :potkettle:
Not proof friend, just my experience
It doesn't mean nothing, you're right
But it's all true the way I tell it

You paint it how you like but if you scroll up to where @IvanKaramazov and I had our exchange you can clearly see I am speaking both sides

I'm just asking you to relax, it feels like I'm taking heat for even thinking about the backing the police, if you read it slowly I think you might find I lean more towards your side
It just feels like the "MoP" is a lightning rod at the moment, we'll do our best to not pour gas on open fires but please, just take the dutchie from my hands and relax

-If you say the cops were jack holes, OK...I feel like had I backed SS blindly, I woulda taken heat for that.
I was just trying to have fun at the expense of the #1 golfer in the World, let's have a little perspective and not get all up in arms

Again, i thank you and love your work in the Jets threads
I guess having SS convicted so quickly is not a good look on you. I don't understand the rush to judgement except hate and jealousy

In all seriousness, we've all probably seen a lot of body cam footage since 2020, and in the overwhelming majority of those cases, the cops did a good job. I was strongly in favor of mandatory body cams on the grounds that they protect the public from bad cops and good cops from the public, and so far that's turned out to be more or less the case. My confidence in the police is higher today than it was then. (I understand that this sort of thing might be endogenous and that body cams might be causing better police behavior -- that's great too).

Users who are viewing this thread