What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SEC Referee Makes a Tackle (Video) (1 Viewer)

Wow, he looks like he purposelly slides in the direction of the runner, elevates his upperbody and drives his shoulder into the QB? Has anyone from the SEC said anything about this?

Wow, he looks like he purposelly slides in the direction of the runner, elevates his upperbody and drives his shoulder into the QB? Has anyone from the SEC said anything about this?
SEC officials said the ref was in the proper position on the field and left it at that. :goodposting:

yea that blew my mind. I can't understand how they can make the ruling that he was 'protecting' himself

Wow, that angle sure makes it look like he was drawing a line on the guy and then unloads. Would be curious to see if it looks less "questionable" from other angles, but from that one it is highly suspect.

:rolleyes:

The ref shuffles like 3 times to get into position and then unloads on the guy, leading with his forearm

:goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its fake, just like the Lebron commercials where he is making full court threes. If you look at the QB running, it looks like he cuts back for no apparent reason into the referee, and then a split second later the LSU player comes in and hits him.

I think its fake, just like the Lebron commercials where he is making full court threes. If you look at the QB running, it looks like he cuts back for no apparent reason into the referee, and then a split second later the LSU player comes in and hits him.
Definitely not fake, I saw it live and said WTF?!? Garcia was pissed and was about to go after the ref

Definitely not fake, I saw it live and said WTF?!? Garcia was pissed and was about to go after the ref
Yep, definitely not fake. It happened on national TV this past weekend.

+1LSU fan here. Saw it live.

For all you who saw this live, what were the broadcasters saying? How about the coaches? Did the camera come back to the ref after that play, or was this something that wasn't really noticed (which I would find hard to believe).

For all you who saw this live, what were the broadcasters saying? How about the coaches? Did the camera come back to the ref after that play, or was this something that wasn't really noticed (which I would find hard to believe).
from what I've heard of southern football announcers, they were probably also restrained from going after the ref.

That was ridiculous. Hard to believe, actually. And the conference just shrugs it off?

Would love to see a detailed history of his calls and such, line movements on games he worked, etc.

That was ridiculous. Hard to believe, actually. And the conference just shrugs it off?Would love to see a detailed history of his calls and such, line movements on games he worked, etc.
You really think that he was on the take and THIS is how he chose to do it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was the ref most responsible for calling holding in the trenches, right? Wouldn't it be ten times easier and ten times less likely to get caught if he just made some bad holding calls or ignored some since people are always saying "You could call holding on every play if you wanted to."?

I'm in a serious IDP league with the waiver wire pretty thin at this point. Just waiting for this SEC ref to hit waivers then he's all mine.

That was ridiculous. Hard to believe, actually. And the conference just shrugs it off?Would love to see a detailed history of his calls and such, line movements on games he worked, etc.
On a serious note, I know the ref because he is a co-worker of my dad's (in his full-time job, not the part-time ref job). He is a straight dude and is pretty well respected by the SEC. He usually works a fair share of big SEC games each year. I definitely agree with the majority in this post that it does appear that he shuffles into position and appears to line up and shoulder drop the SC QB, Garcia. I've talked to my dad this morning and he said that people at work were giving him a hard time last night (as expected, I guess). He knows that it was a bad move on his part but I think more people need to realize that the guy is an Umpire. He's right in the line of danger behind the defensive line and, while I'm not a ref, I'm sure that protecting oneself is taught to these guys as a matter of defense. Nearly 90% of the youtube videos out there that depict similar content show the Umpire getting bowled over by a freight train of a RB. Cut the guy some slack. South Carolina scored a touchdown three plays later anyway so it obviously didn't have an effect on the outcome of the drive.

On a serious note, I know the ref because he is a co-worker of my dad's (in his full-time job, not the part-time ref job). He is a straight dude and is pretty well respected by the SEC. He usually works a fair share of big SEC games each year. I definitely agree with the majority in this post that it does appear that he shuffles into position and appears to line up and shoulder drop the SC QB, Garcia. I've talked to my dad this morning and he said that people at work were giving him a hard time last night (as expected, I guess). He knows that it was a bad move on his part but I think more people need to realize that the guy is an Umpire. He's right in the line of danger behind the defensive line and, while I'm not a ref, I'm sure that protecting oneself is taught to these guys as a matter of defense. Nearly 90% of the youtube videos out there that depict similar content show the Umpire getting bowled over by a freight train of a RB. Cut the guy some slack. South Carolina scored a touchdown three plays later anyway so it obviously didn't have an effect on the outcome of the drive.
He was doing more than protecting himself. He clearly steps into the runner's path and unloads. One of the more bizarre football highlights I've seen in recent years.

EBF said:
livetogo4sub4 said:
Sonny Lubick Blow Up Doll said:
He was doing more than protecting himself. He clearly steps into the runner's path and unloads. One of the more bizarre football highlights I've seen in recent years.
Your damn right I was. I am sick and tired of getting run over by these young punks in the SEC. My crew and I had to send a message so i droped him like a bad habbit. See if they run another draw play and try and use me as a pick again.

EBF said:
I think the reality was probably that he was trying to get out of the way, but he doesn't know which way the QB is going to cut; he's positioning himself so he can dodge in either direction. (Which, in fact, is the same thing a linebacker does, except the linebacker is trying to dodge in the same direction as the QB, while the ref should be dodging in the opposite direction).Then when he realized he waited too long and the impact was inevitable, he turned his body so he wouldn't get a face full of helmet.

I think the perception of the ref's action may be distorted by the angle of the shot, combined with the fact that its in slow motion. If viewed from a differnt angle, at game speed, it would be more apparent that the ref found himself in a bad position, took a few steps trying to guage where the runner was going to cut, and then at the last instant tried to duck inside the ball carrier, who himself also cut inside at the same instant resulting in the collision. At that point the ref is clearly trying to protect his body.

EBF said:
I think the reality was probably that he was trying to get out of the way, but he doesn't know which way the QB is going to cut; he's positioning himself so he can dodge in either direction. (Which, in fact, is the same thing a linebacker does, except the linebacker is trying to dodge in the same direction as the QB, while the ref should be dodging in the opposite direction).Then when he realized he waited too long and the impact was inevitable, he turned his body so he wouldn't get a face full of helmet.
Agreed...if you watch, it looks like he is hesitant on where to go...then takes the steps anticipating the QB to move a certain way...which he moved differently. I don't think he intended to just line him up with the forearm shiver.

livetogo4sub4 said:
Can you verify if the claims that he used to play linebacker in college are true?

EBF said:
Agreed...if you watch, it looks like he is hesitant on where to go...then takes the steps anticipating the QB to move a certain way...which he moved differently. I don't think he intended to just line him up with the forearm shiver.
I agree that at game speed from the usual angle this doesn't look like a premeditated act at all.However, I don't think the ref tried very hard to get out of the way as he clearly delivered a hit (a little more than just protecting his body)... and I think it's pretty evident that he hunted him down after a certain point.

Assani Fisher said:
You really think that he was on the take and THIS is how he chose to do it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was the ref most responsible for calling holding in the trenches, right? Wouldn't it be ten times easier and ten times less likely to get caught if he just made some bad holding calls or ignored some since people are always saying "You could call holding on every play if you wanted to."?
Good points, and you're right about how he'd do it, but crazier things have happened. And the fact is, that was purposeful. I can't believe people see it any other way, that's silly. Regardless, I'd love to see what kind of record or pattern (whatever you want to call it) he's had over the years. Of course, we'll never know, but it would be interesting if nothing else. And you don't think there are refs out there on take?

livetogo4sub4 said:
That was ridiculous. Hard to believe, actually. And the conference just shrugs it off?

Would love to see a detailed history of his calls and such, line movements on games he worked, etc.
Can you verify if the claims that he used to play linebacker in college are true?
Yes, he did play football at the collegiate level for Kentucky from 1968-1970. Three-year starter at linebacker and first African-American captain of an SEC football team. He attended Manual High School in Louisville and the link below is from their alumni HOF page. A few months a go I found a biography of him on UK's athletic page but can't find that now.http://www.manualalumni.org/h-l.htm

livetogo4sub4 said:

Yes, he did play football at the collegiate level for Kentucky from 1968-1970. Three-year starter at linebacker and first African-American captain of an SEC football team. He attended Manual High School in Louisville and the link below is from their alumni HOF page. A few months a go I found a biography of him on UK's athletic page but can't find that now.http://www.manualalumni.org/h-l.htm
Thank you sir!He certainly hasn't "lost it" :thumbup:

If you wanted to protect yourself, the best way would be to avoid contact. How the hell is driving your shoulder into a 200+ lb guy in full pads running right at you protecting yourself? If I thought I was in danger I would have fallen away from the play, not gone after the guy. Geez-la-freakin-weez :goodposting:

He's an umpire, right? They're supposed to be behind the defensive line between the tackles. He sure looks like he's outside the tackle box. :goodposting: And lol at "protecting himself"...he threw his shoulder at the runner. Protecting himself would have been raising both arms up to cushion the blow or stepping out of the way. Like someone else said, he might have had a flashback...a senior moment.

The same Kentucky team that we beat last week and 9 straight years. I'll file that one under the "Things that Make you go HMMMMMMMMMMM" category.

I was at the game Saturday night and didn't really think much of it at the time of the play except that the ref was out of position. I'm watching the replay from my DVR right now and will get a closer look at it in HD.

I've seen the play numerous times on the news and heard the talk around town but I will reserve judgment until I see it in HD on my 51 inch.

livetogo4sub4 said:

Users who are viewing this thread