What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl XLVIII - No tailgating, no walking (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
Forget about setting up those kegs or buffet tables in the parking lot before this season's Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium. There will be no tailgating, according to the game's committee CEO, Al Kelly.

"You will be allowed to have food in your car and have drink in your car," Kelly said. "And provided you're in the boundaries of a single parking space, you'll be able to eat or drink right next to your car. However, you're not going to be able to take out a lounge chair, you're not going to be able to take out a grill, and you're not going to be able to take up more than one parking space. And it'll all be watched very carefully."

The tailgating news came during the committee's Monday news conference regarding transportation and safety for the Feb. 2, 2014, game.

There will be only three ways for the expected 80,000 ticket holders to get to the game. The committee will charter buses called the Fan Express, which will cost $51 and pick up and drop off passengers at nine locations around the region. Fans can also take N.J. Transit to the MetLife Stadium stop or be dropped off by vehicles that must have parking passes.

There will be fewer than 13,000 parking spots available for fans.

And hiring a black car, taxi or limo won't be an option for VIPs who will spend thousands of dollars per ticket. No cars will be allowed near the stadium on game day without parking passes, and any car that drops off a passenger will have to wait at the stadium.

"Nobody's going to be dropped off by black car," Kelly said. "You can have a black car, a green car, a white car, a red car as long as you have parking, and the car needs to stay on the premises the entire time."

Fans who had considered parking farther from the stadium and getting there on foot will not be allowed to enter.

"You cannot walk to the Super Bowl," Kelly said. "You can get your hotel to drop you off at one of the New Jersey Transit locations or get the shuttle to take you to a Fan Express location, but you cannot walk."

Ultimately, Kelly said he expects that between 70 and 80 percent of all ticket holders will get to the game via public transportation or shuttle bus. There will be 1,600 parking spots for buses.

The reduced parking capacity is a result of the large security perimeter needed for the Super Bowl. Fans will have to go through security screenings at the train station and again at the stadium, Kelly said.

--------

NFL is going overboard with this. Shaping up to be the worst SB experience in recent years.

The NFL and Goodell are out of control.

So how are you supposed to get there exactly?

New Orleans is the best location for a Super Bowl - you can stay downtown, everything's here, plenty of parking.

And hey it could be sleet/snow/ice/freezing rain in addition to just plain outdoor cold, so you get to wander about around the Meadowlands perimeter with no food or drink apparently. Yeay, football.

This is going to look like one of those scenes from The Walking Dead, with all the zombies shuffling around behind a big wire gate.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is ridiculous. No taxi? No walking? I understand the need for "security" but this is totally to the detriment of the fans (who should matter most).

Yeah, if it's 8 degrees out, I'd rather pre-game at a bar and then take a train or bus over anyway. If I was driving, I'd probably rather have a cooler full of subs and beer in the car with the heat on than be standing outside in the parking lot for hours. Or maybe I've just gotten soft from living in Florida all these years.

I'd love to see the re-sell market for this year's SB compared to previous. Buyers market imo when looking at weather & this crap.

I'd love to see the re-sell market for this year's SB compared to previous. Buyers market imo when looking at weather & this crap.
You would think, but there are a LOT of people in the NYC metro area that can get to the game fairly easily without having to pay hotel/airfare, etc. I think the sheer number of potential buyers may well serve to mitigate price deflation, even if the weather is not great (provided it isn't blizzard conditions.)

It's easy to make fun of the NFL for stuff like this, but it makes practical sense. It is better for everyone to just use one the several different types of public transportation. No one walks to the stadium, so :lmao: at any outrage over that. The only thing people might do is take private cars and get dropped off, but again, that will just delay/inconvenience everyone else.

The SB is being held in Toronto??? SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Anyone want to stay in my spare apartment, hit me up!!!

this is a bit extreme.. I think they're more concenred about nickel and diming every attendee than they are worried about the security

if im dropping 5k a ticket I want to be able to tailgate and not have to stand in the chicken tenders line with the peasants

Downstate New York averages about 12 days of snow a year. About half of those are more than 1" of snow. January averages about four days of snow, February about three. So there's maybe a 10% chance of snow, all else being equal, and maybe 5% chance of having anything that's significant enough to effect the game, if it happens while the game is going on. It's a possibility but a remote one.

But this transportation stuff is ridiculous.

It's easy to make fun of the NFL for stuff like this, but it makes practical sense. It is better for everyone to just use one the several different types of public transportation. No one walks to the stadium, so :lmao: at any outrage over that. The only thing people might do is take private cars and get dropped off, but again, that will just delay/inconvenience everyone else.
I'm not much of a big city guy these days, but I've caught a cab to a bar nearby a stadium and walked the rest the way before. That seemed like a pretty standard option to me. Not sure how the MetLife area is, but I assume its similar. And how is the NFL going to enforce this anyway?

The Bus fare is a money grab. $51 for a ticket to travel a couple blocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not much of a big city guy these days, but I've caught a cab to a bar nearby a stadium and walked the rest the way before. That seemed like a pretty standard option to me. Not sure how the MetLife area is, but I assume its similar. And how is the NFL going to enforce this anyway?

MetLife is not similar to that at all.

Bring your pickup truck, set up your chairs and keg in the truck bed, put the gate down, and do some real tailgating, all within the confines of one single parking spot.

KellysHeroes said:
so a brand new stadium (built with added features so it could push for a SB bid) can not provide parking for all its attendees, wow

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10109826/no-tailgating-parties-super-bowl-stadium
I honestly have no idea so I could be totally wrong about this, but I'd guess most other Super Bowl host stadiums couldn't provide enough on-premises parking for all attendees, either. The difference is that locations like the Superdome, Lucas Oil stadium, etc. are in downtown areas where you could presumably park somewhere else and walk to the stadium. MetLife Stadium isn't really like that at all - you'd have to take transit into the stadium area.

I'm not arguing that it was a good idea to host the Super Bowl in East Rutherford, NJ or anything. Since it was first brought up I thought it was an odd choice, not because of the weather (which I have no problem with) but because it's just kind of surrounded by highways. It won't have that same atmosphere that other Super Bowls have in the area surrounding the stadium.

Stadium is in the middle of nowhere - surrounded by major highways. There's really no where to walk from, with the exception of the hotel that's across the highway.

shrimp meatballs queso dip chicken wings beer

ready to go!!

hmm might have to do some nachos

Stadium is in the middle of nowhere - surrounded by major highways. There's really no where to walk from, with the exception of the hotel that's across the highway.
yeah, its literally its own highway exit... the only way to walk would be a drop off at the gate or something which they squashed because they want the transit system to make $$.

Users who are viewing this thread