What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talkin' bout knowin the rules.... (1 Viewer)

General Tso said:
I knew the rule. I'm amazed it hasn't happened more over the years. There's been at least a handful of occasions in my 30 years of watchi8ng football on tv when I've thought that a free kick was a viable option. It's sad that a guy in his barka lounge can actually out-think an NFL coach. Truth is, though - most of the guys in the NFl (including coaches) just aren't that smart.
:unsure:Best post in this thread. Very well said. I've seen multiple opportunities too

General Tso said:
I knew the rule. I'm amazed it hasn't happened more over the years. There's been at least a handful of occasions in my 30 years of watchi8ng football on tv when I've thought that a free kick was a viable option. It's sad that a guy in his barka lounge can actually out-think an NFL coach. Truth is, though - most of the guys in the NFl (including coaches) just aren't that smart.
:goodposting:Best post in this thread. Very well said. I've seen multiple opportunities too
:goodposting:

[scooter] said:
Chaka said:
GregR said:
And shame on anyone who hangs out on a football message board and can't say off the top of their head the 7 ways you can score points in NFL football! Everyone here should have known about fair catch kicks.
FALSEPretty sure it would be scored as a FG for the Kicker.
Does that mean that a 64 yard fair catch kick would go in the record books as the longest field goal in NFL history?
Yes.

so this one point safety...how is this possible in the NFL?
Fumbled PAT that is batted out of the endzone by the defense.- ball must not have been kicked or blocked (otherwise it's a dead ball)- defense must not take possession of the ball (that's illegal on a PAT)It's never happened in the modern NFL, but it did happen a few years ago in an NCAA game.

Yesterday, during the Cards/Giants game the rarely tried "free kick" came about. ...

Question is and be honest...

If you laughed at McNabb did you know the free kick rule?

Please do not give me "they make millions to know the rules" etc.....
And by the way, "free kick" probably isn't the appropriate term to use here if we're getting into the rules. It's a Fair Catch Kick. Free kick is a generic term that would include punts, kickoffs, etc. I'm not sure if a Fair Catch Kick is a free kick by NFL terminology or not... it's the only kick that doesn't get mentioned in the rules for Free Kicks.
The latest rule book I have is 03-04, so this may have changed since then, but if not, "fair catch kick" seems to be the proper term. I was going to question this last night, as I believe free-kick refers specifically to the post-safety punt or place-kick (sans tee.)Anyway, to build on the OP, here are the "Supplemental Notes" to "Rule 10 Fair Catch", as of the 03-04 season:

(1) If, with time remaining, receiver signals and makes a fair catch, receiver's captain has option of attempting a fair catch kick or putting ball in play by a snap from scrimmage.

(2)At the end of a period, if time expired when receiver signals and makes a fair catch, receiving team's only option is to fair catch kick for the period to be extended.

(3) If, with time remaining, receiver signals for a fair catch, and is interfered with, and time remains, receiving team will be awarded a 15-yard penalty and has option of a fair catch kick or putting the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage for the period to be extended.

(4) At the end of a period, if time expired during a play in which receiver signalled for a fair catch, and he is interfered with, receiving team will be awarded a 15-yard penalty and has option of a fair catch kick or putting the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage for the period to be extended.

(5) If, with time remaining, receiver does not signal for a fair catch, and he is interfered with, receiving team will be awarded a 15-yard penalty, but must put ball in play by a snap from scrimmage.

(6) At the end of a period, if time expires during a down and receiver does not signal for a fair catch, but he is interfered with, receiving team will be awarded a 15-yard penalty, but must put ball in play by a snap from scrimmage.

Again, (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6) are Copyright © 2003 by the National Football League. All rights reserved. But, I think I can post it considering that fact.

That said... How many knew it is the receiving team's captain is the one to make this call. Wonder if that could ever come into play... :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week McNabb took alot of heat for not knowing the OT rules. He was criticized by media, fans and other players. It also came out that quite a few players were unsure of the OT themselves.Yesterday, during the Cards/Giants game the rarely tried "free kick" came about. I remembered the rule because I saw it once in a pre-season game. In case you missed it - this allows a team to try a FG from almost a kickoff formation. There isn't anyone blocking the kick but it also takes the place of your "set of downs". Of course, this would only be attempted when you had so little time left that you couldn't even move forward to get closer. This really comes down to end of half or game.Question is and be honest... If you laughed at McNabb did you know the free kick rule?Please do not give me "they make millions to know the rules" etc.....
Yes, I'm very aware of the rule. Madden has brought it up himself a dozen times.But, please, how can you compare one of the more obscure rules to knowing that games can end in a tie? By the QB no less?

Users who are viewing this thread