What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jimmy Graham, CHI (1 Viewer)

need2know said:
are graham owners still starting him? seems like he won't do much better than last week. Wouldn't it be better to start another te until we see hes close to 100 %? not to mention he could easily aggravate the shoulder and get knocked out of the game
No, Cameron is in as of now.

I am not starting him. The precedent has been set that they are prepared to run him out there as a total decoy and until I have information that he's something more than that, I accept the risk of a "surprise recovery" on my bench.

need2know said:
are graham owners still starting him? seems like he won't do much better than last week. Wouldn't it be better to start another te until we see hes close to 100 %? not to mention he could easily aggravate the shoulder and get knocked out of the game
Didnt Cameron put up only 1 catch for 5 yards healthy? Thats not much better than a 0.

I am not starting him. The precedent has been set that they are prepared to run him out there as a total decoy and until I have information that he's something more than that, I accept the risk of a "surprise recovery" on my bench.
I have to agree. As much as I want to start him on a prime time Sunday night game, at home, against GB, should be a shoot out, think I will have to roll with Kelce until I see something substantial showing he is healthy.

need2know said:
Didnt Cameron put up only 1 catch for 5 yards healthy? Thats not much better than a 0.
Oh I know, but Jimmy might not play/be a decoy and is in the late game while Cameron is facing the 0-6 Raiders at home.

I have to agree. As much as I want to start him on a prime time Sunday night game, at home, against GB, should be a shoot out, think I will have to roll with Kelce until I see something substantial showing he is healthy.
I used Kelce last week but I think I'm going Jim this week. Jim has had an extra week of recovery and a much better matchup. Kelce has a bad matchup, is banged up, and Reid does not seem to like using him much. New week, new opportunity.

need2know said:
Oh I know, but Jimmy might not play/be a decoy and is in the late game while Cameron is facing the 0-6 Raiders at home.
Matchups can be deceiving - doesn't mean he'll get the targets against a crappy team. They could be run heavy, or Hawkins could continue to get most of the targets, or both.

leftcoastguy7 said:
As much as I want to start him on a prime time Sunday night game, at home, against GB, should be a shoot out,
This is the problem I'm having. What's the total on this game - 56?? All the factors point to a lot of fantasy points in this game.

Graham could catch only one 10yd TD pass and outscore many of the other TEs being listed here.
That would out score Kelce's total from last week. As of right now, I'm thinking fire him up unless you have Gronk, JT, or Gates. Bennett might be a better start as well. My guess is we get some more positive news as we get closer to Sunday.

Jimmy Graham (shoulder) remained limited in Thursday's practice.
Graham will likely remain limited on Friday ahead of earning a "questionable" tag for Sunday's game against the Packers. Barring a setback, Graham is going to play, but his workload will be hard to predict after he was limited to two targets in Week 4. With Graham's upside so immense, he's Rotoworld's No. 4 tight end for Week 8 despite his dodgy health.

Starting Scott Chandler over him.
this is pure lunacy
Bro, you clearly missed Chandler's one handed grab vs. NE two weeks ago. It's obvious that Chandler has been lying dormant for the past decade, waiting for a stud like Orton to come around and unleash him. To be honest, I think that line falls somewhere in between pure lunacy and total rationality. There are going to be a lot of people turned off by his goose egg last week.

ya its hard to start guys like chandler and harbor and gresham over him, but if you got reed or delanie or daniels its a pretty easy decision. guys like cook, cameron and kelce are close.

Even with the zero last week--I think I have to start him. There are probably a dozen or so players in the fantasy world that are must starts if they are on the field--and Jimmy is one of them in my opinion. Over the past few seasons--he has helped me far more than he has hurt me--and I am not willing to give up on him just yet.

The great thing about Reed this week is that he plays MNF. I'll probably be basing my decision dependant on how my matchup is going as when SNF comes around it'll be Dez/Jordy/TE versus his Cobb/Crosby. If I'm just about level with him on points going into SNF I will probably play Reed.

I don't doubt Jimmy's ability to produce whilst injured, but his floor for just now has been set pretty low last week. There needs to be concrete proof of increased snaps/targets etc before that floor can be adjusted, imo.

Even with the zero last week--I think I have to start him. There are probably a dozen or so players in the fantasy world that are must starts if they are on the field--and Jimmy is one of them in my opinion. Over the past few seasons--he has helped me far more than he has hurt me--and I am not willing to give up on him just yet.
Think twice.

(A 2-5 Calvin Johnson owner)

Think twice.

Yeah 5 pts is better than a 0

People keep mentioning that he has done well in the past being injured. He hasnt played with this injury before. If you cant see how ineffective he was last week then you are blind. Out of my lineup till he proves he can catch a pass

He was on the field last week, and look what happened. If he's a decoy, he's a decoy and not going to put up points.

Going with Ertz over Jimmy unless I see him progress in practice today.

He was on the field last week, and look what happened. If he's a decoy, he's a decoy and not going to put up points.

What time are you driving over to practice?

After my haircut at 11AM.

We want updates!

We want updates!
Not a ton of hair left - won't be much to tell. :kicksrock:

But I digress - hopefully there will be more coming out of practice rather than limited and GTD.

Last edited by a moderator:

We want updates!
Not a ton of hair left - won't be much to tell. :kicksrock:

But I digress - hopefully there will be more coming out of practice rather than limited and GTD.
:lol: Me and you both.

You will be able to tell if he is running like it bothers him and you will be able to tell if he has any range of motion with that shoulder, that is all the info that matters to me.

Think twice.

There are some instances in fantasy football that are completely unpredictable and no amount of research can help. Unfortunately--there is nobody in the Shark Pool that knows how extensive Grahams injury is--how much pain he is in--or the gameplan of the New Orleans Saints. What we do know is that Graham is capable of putting up a zero--but we also know he's capable of putting up a 25 point fantasy game (and we've seen him put up big numbers when injured in the past). I drafted Graham in a deep league so my backup is Amaro. It would take a really high upside/threshold guy to get me to bench Graham if he's on the field--and for me--Amaro is not that. Ertz and Reed would certainly be closer options--but I'm not sure I'd start them unless some negative news comes out from New Orleans.

Think twice. (A 2-5 Calvin Johnson owner)
There are some instances in fantasy football that are completely unpredictable and no amount of research can help. Unfortunately--there is nobody in the Shark Pool that knows how extensive Grahams injury is--how much pain he is in--or the gameplan of the New Orleans Saints. What we do know is that Graham is capable of putting up a zero--but we also know he's capable of putting up a 25 point fantasy game (and we've seen him put up big numbers when injured in the past). I drafted Graham in a deep league so my backup is Amaro. It would take a really high upside/threshold guy to get me to bench Graham if he's on the field--and for me--Amaro is not that. Ertz and Reed would certainly be closer options--but I'm not sure I'd start them unless some negative news comes out from New Orleans.
but a foot injury is not the same as a shoulder injury

Think twice.(A 2-5 Calvin Johnson owner)
I would argue a foot injury is a bigger deal.

Last week there were reports that Graham was unable to move his arm during practices. Have there been any reports on how much Graham has been able to use it this week?

Initially, for Graham, a shoulder injury has proven to be a bigger deal. Like I said, he still was able to dominate the RZ with a torn plantar fascia but I'd have to imagine it's much harder to extend to make catches with a sprained AC joint. Long-term, however, a shoulder injury seems benign compared to a torn plantar fascia.

Initially, for Graham, a shoulder injury has proven to be a bigger deal. Like I said, he still was able to dominate the RZ with a torn plantar fascia but I'd have to imagine it's much harder to extend to make catches with a sprained AC joint. Long-term, however, a shoulder injury seems benign compared to a torn plantar fascia.
No dispute there, but when does Graham feel better? Are you willing to risk his shot at scoring 2 because you need to see it first? You can tell me he had his hands amputated before the game but if he is active, I'm starting him. Even Julius Thomas has low scoring games.

No dispute there, but when does Graham feel better? Are you willing to risk his shot at scoring 2 because you need to see it first? You can tell me he had his hands amputated before the game but if he is active, I'm starting him. Even Julius Thomas has low scoring games.
I'm not sure..no one can say for sure. But personally, no I'm not willing to risk it I've stated multiple times I'm starting him regardless and am prepared for duds. As for JT, my exact quote a page back..

"I'd rather stick it out with Graham then grab JT in a 1.5 PPR league (ffpc). JT is 11th in targets, 7th in receptions and 13th in yards yet he still leads all TEs because of the torrid TD pace. A healthy Graham can keep pace with him in the TD department while averaging more targets/receptions/yards on a weekly basis. It seems like a good move on the surface but I honestly don't think it is, unless you think Graham is going to be plagued by this injury for the rest of the season."
That was in response to trading Graham for JT straight up. I think at this point, there's really no point in moving Graham since we've already endured the worst of the injury. It's like trading Gordon a week or two before his suspension is lifted after holding him the entire time.

I don't think this is true - if he can't reach for the balls and catch them because of the injury what is he going to produce?

That said I think this week with several days of practice even if limited is much better than last week.

And I will probably start him although I did guess correctly to bench him last week for Gresham in a ppr league ... But you can no more count on another ten reception week from Gresham than you can bet on which RB Belichick will use the most (aside from Vereen)

Rotoworld:

Jimmy Graham (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Week 8 against the Packers, but is expected to play.

He was limited in practice all week. Expect more usage for Graham against Green Bay after he was targeted just twice in last Sunday's loss to Detroit, and played fewer than 50 percent of New Orleans' offensive snaps. Rotoworld's Pat Daugherty ranks Graham as this week's No. 4 overall tight end play, behind only Julius Thomas (played Thursday), Rob Gronkowski, and Greg Olsen.

Source: Mike Triplett on Twitter
Oct 24 - 4:11 PM

I have JG in my lineup with Chandler on the bench, The saints playing on SNF really makes this tough. Should I pick up a FA TE playing SNF or MNF for Chandler?

The Saints backups are available as is Niles Paul and Gavin Escobar...obviously I am starting Graham if he is active. I could also drop Andre Williams late since he is on a bye.

Have Cameron on the bench for Jimmy….playing Saunders and Gates team - so down significantly and need the gamble to the upside

wally82 said:
I have JG in my lineup with Chandler on the bench, The saints playing on SNF really makes this tough. Should I pick up a FA TE playing SNF or MNF for Chandler?

The Saints backups are available as is Niles Paul and Gavin Escobar...obviously I am starting Graham if he is active. I could also drop Andre Williams late since he is on a bye.
If you have to scramble to find a waiver TE, I would suggest just playing Graham (though try and pick up a waiver TE that plays at a time where you can still plug him in if Graham doesnt suit up...........probably one of the Saints backups should be out there.

Last week i would have played ANYONE other than Graham. This week I wouldnt go that far.

He shouldnt even be playing. Oh well.

I'm thinking of going with him this week. At least he's been practicing. Didn't he go all last week with no practices? Or did he have just one limited practice?

I'm thinking of going with him this week. At least he's been practicing. Didn't he go all last week with no practices? Or did he have just one limited practice?
:goodposting: Yep. Plus I smell a fairly high scoring game here with Brees putting it up in the air a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread