What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Luke Musgrave, GB (1 Viewer)

Dwain McFarland
The Packers are going to feature Luke Musgrave and Jayden Reed as rookies.

We have two weeks of preseason data and training camp reports telling us both should go higher in fantasy drafts.

Musgrave: 89% route participation with 38% target share in Week 2 with the starters 👀
Earning playing time is huge at TE. Most TEs that get to 80% route participation push for top-12 status.

But he must still show that he can earn targets. He wasn't great in that department in college -- was more of a big play weapon.

Smash at current ADP. Great last rounder.

Dwain McFarland
Luke Musgrave is THE LATE ROUND sleeper at TE.

On 37 dropbacks with Jordan Love this preseason:

84% route participation (TE1-worthy)
22% target share (TE1-worthy)

Yeah, it is a small sample but taking Musgrave over Kmet, Okonkwo, Juwan, Dulcich, Everett, Irv, Ferguson.

Musgrave was not a high-end target earner in college so this could fall very flat BUT willing to take a shot in this range.TEs to eclipse an 80% route participation are hard-pressed to not finish in the top 12 AND if these targets stick, he will outperform all of those guys.And this is the type of bet it is okay to be WRONG on... If we miss, we just grab another dude off the waivers.

Own him in dynasty. I think he's going to be a quality pro. The guy moves incredibly gracefully for a man his size.

I think him and Laporta both have streaming TE appeal this season. Green Bay should run a ton and this guy should have the ability to get wide open against man coverage off play-action.

It's not like Doubs and Watson have a huge leg up on him for targets. They've been in the system 1 year longer than him. Not like there's a 3-4 year pro ahead of him. History says rookie TEs don't amount to jack **** in fantasy, but I think I can telegraph some quality starts from this guy, especially once data about who is and isn't good at covering TEs becomes available throughout the season.

Thoughts for week one? It’s a hammyfest in GB this week.

I’m pondering Jayden Reed. Bears spent some money but still a bottom 5 DL, no pass rush and crappy Cornerbacks. I think Jordan Love will have time.

Musgrave is a good athlete but pretty light production, in part bc he had two season ending injuries in college. Interesting one to monitor but I think he’s a sit Week 1.

Why is Musgrave rated so low at this point for this week? I'm seriously not understanding his rankings on all the sites. 19 currently for my league scoring system on FBG and around the same on the other platforms. He appears to be in a great situation with all the WR issues, Watson out, Doubs on a pitch count, seemingly great report with Love already. I think I'll start him at flex over Zay Jones. TE get's an extra .5 point in this league.

Why is Musgrave rated so low at this point for this week? I'm seriously not understanding his rankings on all the sites. 19 currently for my league scoring system on FBG and around the same on the other platforms. He appears to be in a great situation with all the WR issues, Watson out, Doubs on a pitch count, seemingly great report with Love already. I think I'll start him at flex over Zay Jones. TE get's an extra .5 point in this league.

It is pretty simple...he is a rookie TE...there will almost always be a slow roll because of that.

Luke Musgrave caught 3-of-4 passes for 50 yards in the Packers’ Week 1 win over the Bears.

Musgrave’s biggest play came on a 37-yard reception that came on a broken play. A fumbled snap by Jordan Love resulted in immediate chaos on the field, before Love ultimately found Musgrave all alone and chucked up a pass to his young tight end. A better throw and catch would have led to an easy score for Musgrave, but it was an impressive play regardless. Musgrave will be hard to trust as anything more than low-end TE2 until we see some kind of target consistency.

- Rotoworld

this guy is really solid & GB has big plans for him this year

I know, rookie TEs, but we got 4 very good rookie TEs in this class and 3 of them had good involvement Week 1

given the wasteland TE landscape rn they should all be Top 16, rostered in all leagues

I think maybe the rookie TE label needs to be split between the rookie TEs that are already starting for their team and involved in the passing game. Laporta, Kincaid, Musgrave..... check, check, check. All should be rostered in re-draft. Very exciting for dynasty, but zero reason to avoid these guys in redraft just because they're rookies. There'll be some disappointing weeks, but what's the downside? Losing out on Ertz, Higbee, and Hurst? I'll take the rookie ceiling / mid-season jump that you might get just in time for fantasy playoffs. Plenty of reason to believe that the "bust" weeks for these guys might not even be that bad by TE standards.

Mayer, still good for dynasty. Probably shouldn't be rostered in most re-draft leagues yet, but wouldn't fault anyone for getting ahead of it depending on TE premium or bench sizes.

Luke Musgrave caught 6-of-8 targets for 49 yards in the Packers’ Week 3 win over the Saints.

Musgrave’s targets and receptions both mark career highs for the young tight end, who has now caught 11 passes for 124 yards in his first three games. He just missed what would have been his biggest play of the afternoon when Jordan Love missed him wide open in the seam for a potential touchdown, but the hyper-athletic tight end was the No. 2 target in the passing game and produced when called upon. Musgrave benefitted from 44 pass attempts in the comeback win but could be an intriguing streaming option in Week 4 against the Lions, who have struggled against tight ends.

- Rotoworld
His connection with Love on the deep shots is a little off, but he's definitely on the cusp of busting out.

Luke Musgrave caught 6-of-8 targets for 49 yards in the Packers’ Week 3 win over the Saints.

Musgrave’s targets and receptions both mark career highs for the young tight end, who has now caught 11 passes for 124 yards in his first three games. He just missed what would have been his biggest play of the afternoon when Jordan Love missed him wide open in the seam for a potential touchdown, but the hyper-athletic tight end was the No. 2 target in the passing game and produced when called upon. Musgrave benefitted from 44 pass attempts in the comeback win but could be an intriguing streaming option in Week 4 against the Lions, who have struggled against tight ends.
- Rotoworld
His connection with Love on the deep shots is a little off, but he's definitely on the cusp of busting out.
Yeah that line was one bad overthrow away from 7 of 9 for 90 yards and a TD

Seems to be a trend that he continues to miss out on a long TD. I might need to start rolling him out in my flex with Laporta as my TE1.

Packers TE Luke Musgrave suffered a concussion in Green Bay’s Week 4 game against the Lions and will not return.

Injured in the second quarter, Musgrave was ruled out after the break. He had just one catch for one yard on one target before going down. It’s been a tough night for the Packers’ offense. The only good news for the impressive rookie is that he has 10 days to get cleared for Week 5 against the Raiders.

Sigh. Picked him up this week. 1 catch for 1 yard. Now being evaluated for a concussion. Probably done for the night.
Hold my beer, he was in my lineup for the first time all year in 3 FFPC Main Event leagues.

If you are just talking about having him on a roster and not your lineup I don't see the worry(assuming his concussion is not an on-going issue). Saw a tweet from Next Gen Stats before the game that he and LaPorta are the only two rookie TE's to play over 75% of their teams offensive snaps. With Musgrave coming in at the highest since 2016.

But regarding the concussion. Is it assumed he got it on the catch? I can't recall if I saw him later but I've watched that catch and him getting tackled multiple times and it looked about as minor as one could imagine. One of the odder concussion related removals I can recall. Not to be cold but I worry a lot more when a guy gets concussed on something as minor as that tackle then if he got lit up.

Sigh. Picked him up this week. 1 catch for 1 yard. Now being evaluated for a concussion. Probably done for the night.
Hold my beer, he was in my lineup for the first time all year in 3 FFPC Main Event leagues.

If you are just talking about having him on a roster and not your lineup I don't see the worry(assuming his concussion is not an on-going issue). Saw a tweet from Next Gen Stats before the game that he and LaPorta are the only two rookie TE's to play over 75% of their teams offensive snaps. With Musgrave coming in at the highest since 2016.

But regarding the concussion. Is it assumed he got it on the catch? I can't recall if I saw him later but I've watched that catch and him getting tackled multiple times and it looked about as minor as one could imagine. One of the odder concussion related removals I can recall. Not to be cold but I worry a lot more when a guy gets concussed on something as minor as that tackle then if he got lit up.
No I started him.

Finally started him for the first time this week (over Pitts) and was handsomely rewarded. Seriously though, hope this was an abundance of caution thing and that he's ok and back on the field soon. After the first three weeks he looked like he was on the cusp of a breakout game and I was hoping to catch it in my lineup. I think he's still going to be an up and down kind of player though just based on Jordan Love - he'll continue to develop but he so far has stretches of brilliance combined with stretches like last night where he went 1.5 quarters with 1 completion.

I typed something like this in another thread - I don't think Love can support multiple top flight receivers/TE). So the worst case is that we do not know who will pop week to week.

Finally started him for the first time this week (over Pitts) and was handsomely rewarded. Seriously though, hope this was an abundance of caution thing and that he's ok and back on the field soon. After the first three weeks he looked like he was on the cusp of a breakout game and I was hoping to catch it in my lineup. I think he's still going to be an up and down kind of player though just based on Jordan Love - he'll continue to develop but he so far has stretches of brilliance combined with stretches like last night where he went 1.5 quarters with 1 completion.

Same here. I got stuck with Njoku and this guy appears to have more upside. Started him and... concussion. :lol:

Get back out there big fella! That's just another fantasy football TE1 in the making.

Same here. I got stuck with Njoku and this guy appears to have more upside. Started him and... concussion. :lol:

Get back out there big fella! That's just another fantasy football TE1 in the making.
2 of the 3 leagues I put him was over Njoku, and I fully intend to do it again next week if he's back.

I still keep asking around was the hit that led the concussion on his catch or another play? That hit was not much, was actually hoping it was another play instead. Announcers did a pitiful job of explaining it or covering it.

It sounds like he is back practicing. Is it worth keeping him around, knowing he plays on MNF then a bye week? Or should I be dropping him for an Ertz or Kinkaid?

I'm keeping him. He was trending as the goto target in the offense before the concussion. Since it's not a leg injury, that should all still be there once he's clear.

officially a must drop candidate. tired of the 'he could be' he shoulda had 3 tds' he might have a coming out game this week'. I'm dropping his overrated ***

it's like waiting for the Great Pumpkin..you sit in the pumkin patch and he never shows up. or like waiting for the Yule log to burn down completely on WPIX's 4 hour coverage only to find out its like a 10 min loop. :kicksrock:

officially a must drop candidate. tired of the 'he could be' he shoulda had 3 tds' he might have a coming out game this week'. I'm dropping his overrated ***

it's like waiting for the Great Pumpkin..you sit in the pumkin patch and he never shows up. or like waiting for the Yule log to burn down completely on WPIX's 4 hour coverage only to find out its like a 10 min loop. :kicksrock:
I interrupt this regularly scheduled rant to say in PPR leagues he was TE10 in points and TE12 in PPG before last week, even with the missed opportunities.

Yes because the TE landscape is so flush with talent this season you can just easily pick up another top-10 guy off the wire, right?

This is basically a seal of approval in keeping him now.

Cleared concussion protocol.
My mistake. Has not cleared protocol yet but had 2 full practices on Thur and Fri.
No sir, you were not wrong, he did clear concussion protocol two days ago.
I thought I read that but his blue b today said he hadn't officially cleared the protocol.
I did not see the blurb in question but you did read it, multiple beat writers confirmed he was out of concussion protocol.

Picked him up off the WW (2nd run - somebody impatient dropped him)

Normally two rookie TEs is not a good idea but I think he'll pair nicely with LaPorta
Funny, I just dropped him

Lotta mouths to feed over there. I like his tape, good smooth route runner & established a good rapport with Love early in TC. I also like the backup Tucker Kraft they took a round later but he’s more of an in-line blocker.

Young receiving group but it feels like they have more weapons than last year.

Normally two rookie TEs is not a good idea but I think he'll pair nicely with LaPorta

Lotta mouths to feed over there. I like his tape, good smooth route runner & established a good rapport with Love early in TC. I also like the backup Tucker Kraft they took a round later but he’s more of an in-line blocker.

Lots of mouths if you're in to mediocre WRs. I think there's a KC situation brewing here.

Lots of mouths if you're in to mediocre WRs. I think there's a KC situation brewing here.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of their roster construction. I think Gutekunst blundered trading with the Lions so we could draft Branch when they had the need themselves, but overall he's better than most Packers fans give him credit for rn.

We still don't know for sure if Love is good and they're sorting out who the alpha will be; they don't really have a gotta-have-it guy just yet. But several good candidates IMO.

Anyone know the extent of Musgrave‘s injury from yesterday? I heard he got hit with a cheap shot where people thought it might be a concussion but then they said he was out with an ankle. And the. I read this morning that he was seen in a walking boot. Anyone know what’s going on here?

Users who are viewing this thread