What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me more about Ron DeSantis (1 Viewer)

I don’t know nearly enough about insurance but shouldn’t Florida homeowners have to pay more since they are in a Much higher risk of hurricanes?
What about other states experiencing significant natural disasters?

ETA: Keep in mind that many of those in Florida who had/have damage from hurricanes do not have flood insurance. I think making flood insurance mandatory would be a step in the right direction.

I don’t know nearly enough about insurance but shouldn’t Florida homeowners have to pay more since they are in a Much higher risk of hurricanes?
What about other states experiencing significant natural disasters?

ETA: Keep in mind that many of those in Florida who had/have damage from hurricanes do not have flood insurance. I think making flood insurance mandatory would be a step in the right direction.
I’m surprised flood insurance isn’t mandatory along the Florida coastline. I’m sure California property insurance isn’t cheap either.

I think making flood insurance mandatory
The flood zones look like tear drops. When I was active selling real estate in Destin you could have 1 coastal house in a NFIP eligible house which was fairly inexpensive ($350) and then the house next door would have to go to a private carrier for his flood insurance which was outrageously more expensive- a difference of like $10K!

The elevations change with every flood and the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) are about to be renewed or changed in many counties which will also make a huge affect on who can get the NFIP policy.

If they were mandatory you could get socked with a new flood zone designation requirement and who knows how much the indy flood carrier is gonna charge you?

Bad Ronald at it again, killing trees:

Projects worth $175M killed

DeSantis rejects funding, including $2.5M for some of the last forested land in Pinellas.

BY LAWRENCE MOWER AND TRACEY MCMANUS

Times Staff Writers

TALLAHASSEE — The $2.5 million that a panel of lawmakers granted last month to the West Klosterman Preservation Group was supposed to save the 14 acres of untouched forest in Pinellas County from development.

But the grant was killed along with financial pledges for scores of other projects across the state after Gov. Ron DeSantis failed to take a necessary step to distribute the money.

The awards were part of a provision for “local support grants” tucked into the state budget that the governor had signed in June.

The panel of lawmakers awarded 238 projects last month across Florida worth $175 million, including more than 30 in Tampa Bay. The two-year battle to save the West Klosterman land appeared won.

But with no announcement, DeSantis failed to distribute the money to state agencies by a Sept. 30 deadline dictated by state law, meaning the $175 million of local projects across the state are now unfunded.

“The preserve is environmental resiliency,” said Kay Carter, treasurer of the West Klosterman group. “I feel it is shortsighted to continue to leave projects like this unfunded and unprotected.”

With the state flush with billions of dollars in reserves, the move is a not-so-subtle dig at Republican lawmakers and the latest assertion of power from Florida’s boundary-pushing governor.

DeSantis’ office did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
Joe, The Pinellas County school board owns the land. They do not have to sale the land to the developer if they choose not to.

If Pinellas County residents make enough noise it won't happen. At least that's how it works in Lake County. We have a preserve within a mile from me.

So if it's developed I'd blame the local government not the state or the Governor.

I'll blame the guy who held up the funds just to flex his muscles. It was to be a preserve and protected, now it's not. There will be alot more about this.

What is his excuse for not making the 9/30 deadline? He signed the budget in June which detailed the $175M. He's holding it up just because he can. He's sitting on a pile of billions in reserves.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t the premiums be tied to the property value though? That would be a big reason for increased rates. I don’t feel too sorry for any of the insurance firms as every other commercial seems to be a insurance commercial.
Yes, increased property values have led to increased premiums. Higher premiums are more directly tied to bigger and newer mortgages, as many people who've paid off their houses or have small mortgages from years ago may be under-insured, or not insured at all.

I'll blame the guy who held up the funds just to flex his muscles. It was to be a preserve and protected, now it's not. There will be alot more about this.

What is his excuse for not making the 9/30 deadline? He signed the budget in June which detailed the $175M. He's holding it up just because he can. He's sitting on a pile of billions in reserves.
Just saying the land is already owned by the local government. If they sell it to a developer against their constituents wishes wouldn't that be on the local government? Maybe it's just me but I would think so.

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) admonishes Ukrainian officials for vocally rejecting Elon Musk — who's been funding satellites to help Ukraine's military — for proposing that Ukraine make significant territorial concessions to Russia:

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Good lord!"

Nah, I think it's more that Elon is now associated with Team Red, so he must be defended at all costs from attacks by the libs, even if that means glossing over him literally disseminating Russian propaganda. I doubt DeSantis has thought this through much more than that.

I can tell you that I certainly don't support DeSantis saying this at all. Ukraine should not give up ANYTHING and I'm staunchly Team Red.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that Ukraine should invade and take parts of Russia as "payment" of Russia's illegal war.

Last edited:
Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) admonishes Ukrainian officials for vocally rejecting Elon Musk — who's been funding satellites to help Ukraine's military — for proposing that Ukraine make significant territorial concessions to Russia:

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Good lord!"

Nah, I think it's more that Elon is now associated with Team Red, so he must be defended at all costs from attacks by the libs, even if that means glossing over him literally disseminating Russian propaganda. I doubt DeSantis has thought this through much more than that.

I can tell you that I certainly don't support DeSantis saying this at all. Ukraine should not give up ANYTHING and I'm staunchly Team Red.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that Ukraine should invade and take parts of Russia as "payment" of Russia's illegal war.
Right, that's because you have followed the war in Ukraine and formed your own opinions about it.

I think DeSantis totally deserves to be criticized for making a statement like that, but not because it indicates he's some kind of Russian asset (whereas I do think Elon is serving as one, in the sense that he is spreading Russian propaganda, and perhaps even being spoon-fed that propaganda directly by Russian intelligence). My guess is that when it comes to foreign policy, most Americans, if they haven't been following the issue closely, will tend to view it through the prism of American politics. If I told you that the president of Makalakistan was a strong supporter of Trump or Biden or whoever, you would almost certainly base your opinions of Makalakistani politics on that one piece of information.

The biggest problem I have with that DeSantis statement is that a guy who is likely a few months away from launching a presidential campaign doesn't seem to have spent much time thinking about the most significant geopolitical event in the world right now

The biggest problem I have with that DeSantis statement is that a guy who is likely a few months away from launching a presidential campaign doesn't seem to have spent much time thinking about the most significant geopolitical event in the world right now
Really stupid comment.

Ron isn't particular bright, he is just smarter than Trump.

>>"What is wrong with this state?” Video shows stunned Floridians arrested by Ron DeSantis’ “Office of Election Crimes and Security” for voting after the state told them they’re allowed vote.<<

As mentioned upthread, the state sent these people voter ID cards. This is a result of trying to appease Trump and his claims of voter fraud. The cops who arrested these people were almost apologetic.

>>"What is wrong with this state?” Video shows stunned Floridians arrested by Ron DeSantis’ “Office of Election Crimes and Security” for voting after the state told them they’re allowed vote.<<

As mentioned upthread, the state sent these people voter ID cards. This is a result of trying to appease Trump and his claims of voter fraud. The cops who arrested these people were almost apologetic.

IMO this story and the Martha's Vineyard flights highlight DeSantis' single worst quality: His willingness to use human beings as political pawns. Yes, many aspects of politics are exploitative of "regular folks" -- I've always hated those SOTU speeches where the president calls out a guest in the gallery who has suffered some unspeakable tragedy just so he can benefit-by-proxy in that person's applause -- but this really takes it to another level. DeSantis went out of his way to #### these people's lives up, and their condition doesn't seem to have entered into his calculation in the slightest. And I would say the odds of him ever uttering one word of apology to these people are roughly the same him bringing his kids to a Miami drag brunch.

Really stupid comment.

Ron isn't particular bright, he is just smarter than Trump.
Again with the Ron is a goober and not particularly bright. He is a Yale and Harvard grad. Pretty sure you don't graduate from those Ivy league schools being not particularly bright.

To be honest I hope there is a peaceful resolution to this mess. If it takes Ukraine giving up ground so be it.

If I'm lucky I have maybe 20 more years. I'd like to live them out in a non nuclear wasteland.

Tampa Bay Times

@TB_Times
·
15h

Tampa police carrying out the first arrests of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ new election security force were surprised and almost sympathetic. “I’ve never seen these charges before in my entire life,” one officer said. https://trib.al/oJIDNog

The video is just sad.
Just disgusting what this guy will do for political gain. Just using people like pawns any chance he gets. And taking advantage of people again that really can't fight back. He's a horrible human being.

If DeSantis is the Republican alternative to Trump, I don't even...I don't even know what to say.

Biden/Harris '24, Stagflation Notwithstanding! sounds like a palatable campaign slogan. This guy is all hubris and as ignatius points out, more than willing to use people as pawns in political theater. It's cynical and revolting.

Imo he is only an alternative to Trump in the sense he is a different name to vote for, not that he is a different type of politician. In that way, he is just continuing an unfortunate trend in where the GOP is going. Sure, I'd vote for him over the likes of Walker and Dr. Oz, but he is quite similar in tone and demeanor to the other guy.

I'm also not a fan of politicians using their families as props in political ads, other than perhaps in a photo to show that they have a spouse and kids. A recent ad by his wife, a breast cancer survivor, is a tear jerker, in which she says

>>When I was diagnosed with cancer and I was facing the battle for my life, he was the dad who took care of my children when I couldn't," she says in the ad. "He was there to pick me off of the ground when I literally could not stand. He was there to fight for me when I didn't have the strength to fight for myself," she adds. "That is who Ron DeSantis is," she further says, pausing for emphasis between each of these words.<<

In 2018, he also used his young kids for an ad showing them building the wall.

These ads may be effective, and his wife Casey, a former TV personality in Jacksonville, is a very good speaker, but I'm not a fan.

Tampa Bay Times
@TB_Times
·
15h

Tampa police carrying out the first arrests of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ new election security force were surprised and almost sympathetic. “I’ve never seen these charges before in my entire life,” one officer said. https://trib.al/oJIDNog

The video is just sad.
Just disgusting what this guy will do for political gain. Just using people like pawns any chance he gets. And taking advantage of people again that really can't fight back. He's a horrible human being.
Just getting people ready for arresting women and doctors next.

So everyone seems to forget that these people are convicted murders and sex offenders. Any sympathy out there for their victims?
There is an old saying ignorance of the law is no excuse.

So everyone seems to forget that these people are convicted murders and sex offenders. Any sympathy out there for their victims?
If you're suggesting that the law matters, then the law that restored their ability to vote should also matter.

If you're suggesting that the law matters, then the law that restored their ability to vote should also matter.
The law didn't restore their right to vote. Murders and felony sexual assault were always exclusions. The problem here is, these people (at least the two here in Central Florida...can't speak to the others) went through all the proper channels to register to vote and the reason they even thought they could vote in the first place was because they had been summoned to jury duty. Felons aren't allowed to serve on juries in this state. They should NEVER be summoned for jury duty. Icing on the cake was both of them received voter ID cards as well.

The law didn't restore their right to vote. Murders and felony sexual assault were always exclusions. The problem here is, these people (at least the two here in Central Florida...can't speak to the others) went through all the proper channels to register to vote and the reason they even thought they could vote in the first place was because they had been summoned to jury duty. Felons aren't allowed to serve on juries in this state. They should NEVER be summoned for jury duty. Icing on the cake was both of them received voter ID cards as well.
Just a happy bureaucratic accident.

Well Tallahassee was unable to determine that they were not eligible to vote and sent them Voter ID cards. A bigger problem is felons with lessor offenses, including marijuana possession, who are supposed to pay court costs and restitution in some cases... but these individuals and Tallahassee are having trouble determining how much they owe. This is a modern day poll tax. The will of the voters on Amendment 4 (~64.5%) was overturned by GOP legislation, making it harder for many of these folks to vote. Even LEO was in favor of making it easy for felons to vote as one measure to reduce recidivism.

BTW, the will of the voters may not be reflected in the congressional maps created by DeSantis. As many as 20 of 28 seats could belong to the GOP, in a state that is close to 50-50 GOP vs DEM.

Well Tallahassee was unable to determine that they were not eligible to vote and sent them Voter ID cards. A bigger problem is felons with lessor offenses, including marijuana possession, who are supposed to pay court costs and restitution in some cases... but these individuals and Tallahassee are having trouble determining how much they owe. This is a modern day poll tax. The will of the voters on Amendment 4 (~64.5%) was overturned by GOP legislation, making it harder for many of these folks to vote. Even LEO was in favor of making it easy for felons to vote as one measure to reduce recidivism.

BTW, the will of the voters may not be reflected in the congressional maps created by DeSantis. As many as 20 of 28 seats could belong to the GOP, in a state that is close to 50-50 GOP vs DEM.
The Voter ID cards are sent by the counties not Tallahassee. You would think that with all the modern technology we have today that these felons would have been flagged as a no go when they registered. You would also think that these convicted murders and sexual predators ( rapist, child molesters) would know what they were convicted of hence the inability to vote.

This is not to say DeSantis didn't see an opportunity to exploit this situation like most politicians do from either side.

The post-Amendment 4 actions by the state legislature were some of the most egregious political acts I've ever seen. The cherry on the sundae was making it virtually impossible for newly empowered potential voters to being able to ascertain how to even follow the vindictive rules.

The Voter ID cards are sent by the counties not Tallahassee. You would think that with all the modern technology we have today that these felons would have been flagged as a no go when they registered. You would also think that these convicted murders and sexual predators ( rapist, child molesters) would know what they were convicted of hence the inability to vote.

This is not to say DeSantis didn't see an opportunity to exploit this situation like most politicians do from either side.
They are sent by the counties after they've validated with the state that it's appropriate to do so via state database.

This is how easy it is to find out about about your voting rights if you are a convicted felon in FL. I used my smart phone and Googled vote restoration in FL. Many articles came up this is one.

Restoration of Voting Rights​

If you are convicted of a felony, you lose the right to vote in Florida. There are several ways your right to vote can be restored. Read below for further information.

Automatic Restoration​

In the 2018 General Election, Florida voters passed an amendment to the Florida Constitution that automatically restores voting rights to felons once they have completed all terms of their sentence. This includes completion of parole, probation, and payment of fines and fees.
Once you have completed all terms of your sentence, your right to vote is restored. You can then register to vote and begin voting. Visit our voter registration page for information on how to register.
If you were convicted of murder or a sexual offense, you right to vote is not restored automatically. Instead, your right to vote can only be restored by clemency.
For more information about automatic restoration, visit the website for the Florida Division of Elections.

Restoration by Executive Clemency​

Clemency allows felons to ask for relief from punishment and seek restoration of their civil rights, including the right to vote. The power to grant clemency is vested in the Governor and Cabinet.
For information about clemency, visit the website for the Florida Commission on Offender Review.

How Do I Know if my Voting Rights Have Been Restored?​

Voting rights for most felons are automatically restored when you complete all terms of your sentence.
If you do not know the status of your sentencing terms, the agencies listed below can help you.

Clerk of the Circuit Court and Comptroller (in the county where sentenced)​

Florida Department of Corrections​

Florida Commission on Offender Review, Office of Executive Clemency​

Florida Department of State, Division of Elections​

If you are unsure about fines, fees, costs, and restitution, and the impact upon restoration of your voting rights, you can ask the Division of Elections for an advisory opinion.
Complete the Advisory Opinion Request form to get started.

My Voting Rights Have Been Restored. What Should I Do?​

You can now register to vote. Visit our voter registration page for information on how to register.
You should verify that you have fulfilled your court-ordered sentencing obligations before registering.

Here is another from the Florida Division of Elections.

Took less than a minute to find these. I'm no rocket scientist so I'm pretty sure if I can find the info anyone can.

Nailed it

Why is this considered a modern day poll tax? It is not unusual to be ordered to pay court costs ,fines and fees. I had to do it the only time I appeared in court. I plead guilty for letting my female dog run lose while in season.

Of course I have sympathy for the victims. But these people served their sentences and earned their way back into society. I want them invested and productive and engaging. Voting is part of that.

If the country/state sends a citizen a ballot, seems reasonable for the citizen to assume they are eligible to vote, right?

Of course I have sympathy for the victims. But these people served their sentences and earned their way back into society. I want them invested and productive and engaging. Voting is part of that.
Murder and sex offenders are exempt from vote restoration.

If the country/state sends a citizen a ballot, seems reasonable for the citizen to assume they are eligible to vote, right?
Again it's easy to find out if you are exempt or not. Or how to make sure your obligations are met . I did it in under a minute.

Again it's easy to find out if you are exempt or not. Or how to make sure your obligations are met . I did it in under a minute.
Why didn't Tallahassee spend the same NY minute to let the counties and felons know this?

Why didn't Tallahassee spend the same NY minute to let the counties and felons know
I don't know. I guess I'm just self reliant and don't expect someone else to do the 1 minute of research it took.

Pretty simple really if you are convicted of murder or of being a sex offender which includes child molesters then you are exempt. Personally I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. If you are any other type of felon you really should know if you have met your obligations to restore your voting rights. If you are not sure those same articles that I found in less than a minute will tell you how to make sure you are eligible. The secret is don't wait until the last minute to do so.

By the way I voted for the amendment in case you guys think I'm just being a hard ***.

So if the County sends a citizen TWO ballots, seems reasonable for the citizen to assume they are eligible to vote twice, right?

Someone screws up, sends them voter registration, the state sends the wanna be Special Forces to roust them at 6 in the morning, and it's, well, I don't care about them.

Maybe care that no one in authority could be bothered to do the same Googling you are so proud of, and the tremendous waste of resources to send the newly formed DeSantis storm troopers around to stamp out non-existent voter fraud

why do they need to check if the county approved them to vote if they sent them their info to go ahead and vote?

Why isn't it the government's responsibility to ensure people are eligible to vote before they issue registration? Why are these illegal voters treated so much more harshly than one like Mark Meadows?

Someone screws up, sends them voter registration, the state sends the wanna be Special Forces to roust them at 6 in the morning, and it's, well, I don't care about them.

Maybe care that no one in authority could be bothered to do the same Googling you are so proud of, and the tremendous waste of resources to send the newly formed DeSantis storm troopers around to stamp out non-existent voter fraud
Again all convicted of murder or felony sexual offenses they do not qualify for reinstated voting rights.

Yea pretty proud of my googling abilities. Pretty easy for anyone.

Why is this considered a modern day poll tax? It is not unusual to be ordered to pay court costs ,fines and fees. I had to do it the only time I appeared in court. I plead guilty for letting my female dog run lose while in season.
We went over this in the other thread as it was happening. I'd consider it that way in this case because NONE of these additional conditions were presented in amendment 4 when it was brought for a vote. It was clearly stated that voting rights would be restored when they served their time and paid the penalties stated in the ruling. There was no mention of court costs or other fines/fees mentioned in that presentment on the ballot or the amendment itself.

Users who are viewing this thread