What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me more about Ron DeSantis (1 Viewer)

Why didn't Tallahassee spend the same NY minute to let the counties and felons know
I don't know. I guess I'm just self reliant and don't expect someone else to do the 1 minute of research it took.

Pretty simple really if you are convicted of murder or of being a sex offender which includes child molesters then you are exempt. Personally I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. If you are any other type of felon you really should know if you have met your obligations to restore your voting rights. If you are not sure those same articles that I found in less than a minute will tell you how to make sure you are eligible. The secret is don't wait until the last minute to do so.

By the way I voted for the amendment in case you guys think I'm just being a hard ***.
Did you do this after you plead guilty for letting your female dog run loose while in season? Just to make sure you were still allowed to vote and not committing voter fraud.

Straight from the horses mouth:

‘Illegal voting must be willful:’ Voter fraud accusations could face legal hurdle, Florida senator says

>>State Sen. Jeff Brandes told News 6 that not only did he author the implementing legislation for Amendment 4, but he and others were intentional in writing it.

“We thought that there needed to be some grace, and so we put the word ‘willingly’ in, which means they have to have knowledge of what they’re doing in order to actually commit a crime,” Brandes said.

That’s the exact portion of the statute, 5th Circuit State Attorney William Gladson’s office referred to back in May, when they decided not to file charges against six people accused of illegally voting in the 2020 election.

“A person who willfully submits any false voter registration information commits a felony of the third degree,” according to the statute.<<

‘Illegal voting must be willful:’ Voter fraud accusations could face legal hurdle, Florida senator says

>>State Sen. Jeff Brandes told News 6 that not only did he author the implementing legislation for Amendment 4, but he and others were intentional in writing it.

“We thought that there needed to be some grace, and so we put the word ‘willingly’ in, which means they have to have knowledge of what they’re doing in order to actually commit a crime,” Brandes said.

That’s the exact portion of the statute, 5th Circuit State Attorney William Gladson’s office referred to back in May, when they decided not to file charges against six people accused of illegally voting in the 2020 election.

“A person who willfully submits any false voter registration information commits a felony of the third degree,” according to the statute.<<
This dude's been on the up and up on this as well as the insurance crisis. It's a shame that we don't have more of him in Tallahassee

I had to do it the only time I appeared in court. I plead guilty for letting my female dog run lose while in season.
That must have been a real b###h
Yea I was pulled over about 20 years ago. I think I matched the description of some unsavory individual. Cop asked me if I had a record I said not that I know of. He ran my license came back and told me I did have a recordfor letting a ***** run in heat. We both laughed he left without telling me why he even pulled me over. I didn't ask either.

Oh hey look at that, ignorance of the law is a defense, in this case.

Welp, that's the last excuse.

Oh hey look at that, ignorance of the law is a defense, in this case.

Welp, that's the last excuse.
Yes I certainly would take the word of someone convicted of attempted sexual battery of a child as gospel. An upstanding citizen like that would have no reason to lie.

Yes I certainly would take the word of someone convicted of attempted sexual battery of a child as gospel. An upstanding citizen like that would have no reason to lie.
Ignorance of the law was YOUR comment, not mine.
Now it turns out that it actually IS an excuse, you have decided they were lying about being confused when the state issued them voting credentials.

Copy that. That's definitely consistent, not at all moving the goalposts, or anything like that.

Thanks for setting us straight.

Ignorance of the law was YOUR comment, not mine.
Now it turns out that it actually IS an excuse, you have decided they were lying about being confused when the state issued them voting credentials.

Copy that. That's definitely consistent, not at all moving the goalposts, or anything like that.

Thanks for setting us straight.
I still stand by the ignorance of the law is no excuse. The law as far as murders and sex offenders is pretty clear. You can believe what you want and so can the pro bono lawers. I'm not moving goal posts. I guess we will see what the courts decide if and when it makes it that far. Have a great day.

I still don't understand what is so confusing about this.

What standards govern eligibility to vote after a felony conviction?

• A felony conviction in Florida for murder or a sexual offense makes a person ineligible to vote in Florida unless and until the person’s right to vote is restored by the State Clemency Board.

Last edited:
The Villagers who wilfully voted in 2 states, admitted wrong-doing, and have to pay court costs and attend a Civics class. And felony criminal charges will be dropped. I'm still waiting for a DeSantis news conference about voter fraud in the Villages.

No jury will convict the 20 felons highlighted in DeSantis' press conference for wilfully violating the law.

The Villagers who wilfully voted in 2 states, admitted wrong-doing, and have to pay court costs and attend a Civics class. And felony criminal charges will be dropped. I'm still waiting for a DeSantis news conference about voter fraud in the Villages.

No jury will convict the 20 felons highlighted in DeSantis' press conference for wilfully violating the law.

Were these people rounded up the same way the other ones were? I cannot believe the charges will be dropped considering they willfully did this. We need to get Desantis involved.

I still don't understand what is so confusing about this.

What standards govern eligibility to vote after a felony conviction?

• A felony conviction in Florida for murder or a sexual offense makes a person ineligible to vote in Florida unless and until the person’s right to vote is restored by the State Clemency Board.
I don't see the confusion either but look at it this way. The state got it wrong and sent info to the county saying the people were good to go and instructed the county to issue the voter ID card. The SYSTEM in Tallahassee was saying it was good too. :shrug:

I agree that ultimately, it's up to the individual....personal responsibility and all that, but the messaging on this thing HAS been all over the place since the amendment was voted on. I can see situations where people might think that stipulation had been waved at some point.

The first voter fraud case among the 19 felons cited by DeSantis in his political event news conference last month has been tossed by a Miami judge due to jurisdiction issues. The state will likely appeal. The defense can still argue that the defendant didn't wilfully break the law. This a a political loss for DeSantis, albeit small, as the "Secretary of State’s office admitted it did not have enough resources to quickly verify whether a person had a murder or sex offense on their record or if they still owed restitution to victims."

>>Davis argued that Statewide Prosecutor Nicholas Cox, who reports to Attorney General Ashley Moody, did not have jurisdiction to bring charges against Wood. The statewide prosecutor is restricted by law to prosecuting crimes, including voting, involving two or more judicial circuits. Those crimes are usually “complex, often large scale, organized criminal activity,” according to its website.<<

Charges tossed against Miami man in first challenge to DeSantis’ voter fraud arrests

The first voter fraud case among the 19 felons cited by DeSantis in his political event news conference last month has been tossed by a Miami judge due to jurisdiction issues. The state will likely appeal. The defense can still argue that the defendant didn't wilfully break the law. This a a political loss for DeSantis, albeit small, as the "Secretary of State’s office admitted it did not have enough resources to quickly verify whether a person had a murder or sex offense on their record or if they still owed restitution to victims."

>>Davis argued that Statewide Prosecutor Nicholas Cox, who reports to Attorney General Ashley Moody, did not have jurisdiction to bring charges against Wood. The statewide prosecutor is restricted by law to prosecuting crimes, including voting, involving two or more judicial circuits. Those crimes are usually “complex, often large scale, organized criminal activity,” according to its website.<<

Charges tossed against Miami man in first challenge to DeSantis’ voter fraud arrests

This should be the result of ANY of the cases where the people went to their counties and asked questions about eligibility and were told by gov't officials to go ahead and register. Every single one of them should be dismissed.

Yikes: "According to a friend, DeSantis would tell dates he liked Thai food, but pronounced it 'thigh.' If they corrected him, Finch wrote, he would find an excuse to leave. 'He didn’t want a girlfriend who corrected him.'" @JoshuaChaffin
Not the most significant thing, I know, but it does underscore a point I've been making about DeSantis for awhile now, which is that he's kind of an awkward weirdo

Yikes: "According to a friend, DeSantis would tell dates he liked Thai food, but pronounced it 'thigh.' If they corrected him, Finch wrote, he would find an excuse to leave. 'He didn’t want a girlfriend who corrected him.'" @JoshuaChaffin
Not the most significant thing, I know, but it does underscore a point I've been making about DeSantis for awhile now, which is that he's kind of an awkward weirdo
Excellent sourcing on this very relevant point.

Excellent sourcing on this very relevant point.
I read the full article (which is actually fairly pro-DeSantis, including describing him at one point as a "straight shooter"). Here's how it was described there:
In his recent pandemic memoir, What Just Happened: Notes on a Long Year, the author and critic Charles Finch recalled two things about his former classmate, known then as “D”: he did an uncanny impression of baseball star Jose Canseco and, according to a friend, would tell dates he liked Thai food, but pronounced it “thigh”. If they corrected him, Finch wrote, he would find an excuse to leave. “He didn’t want a girlfriend who corrected him.”
Like I said, I don't think the story itself matters all that much. But I do think DeSantis' personality will become an issue if he runs for president. My brother is a die-hard Republican who voted for DeSantis in 2018 and I assume will be voting for him this year as well. He told me a story about meeting DeSantis once when he was first running for Congress, and said it was an incredibly awkward encounter that was salvaged only when Casey joined them.

DeSantis and company pulled a Tim. They paid an undocumented immigrant to work with Perla in San Antonio to find Venezuelans for the Martha Vineyard flight. They skipped E-Verify and went directly to 3 cash payments totaling $700. BTW, is Tim ok, or just on time-out?

>>NEW: A migrant unable to legally work in U.S. was paid to help coordinate Gov. Ron DeSantis’ migrant flights, putting the Republican governor’s high-profile political gambit in conflict with his push to crack down on undocumented labor.

In 2020, DeSantis championed an E-Verify law that requires state agencies and their contractors/subcontractors to use the federal system to confirm the workers are legally allowed to work in the U.S. His office and the contractor did not respond to requests seeking comment.<<

Baby goods now tax exempt in FL. Diapers,wipes,cribs,strollers. Should help some folks out. That could be a pretty good savings over a year. Also pet food tax exempt that will help me with that eating machine bloodhound I have.
Starting a hometown heros plan to help first responders, teachers with down-payment assistance for homes. State government trying to help in these trying times.

Baby goods now tax exempt in FL. Diapers,wipes,cribs,strollers. Should help some folks out. That could be a pretty good savings over a year. Also pet food tax exempt that will help me with that eating machine bloodhound I have.
Starting a hometown heros plan to help first responders, teachers with down-payment assistance for homes. State government trying to help in these trying times.

Glad hes finally using those covid funds theyve been sitting on.

If that's where it's coming from for down payment assistance Im all for it. These kids that are probably just starting their careers in law enforcement, education, or EMTs they deserve it.They are all terribly underpaid especially when just starting their careers. So any assistance they can get would be great.

I know this is supposed to be a Federal government thing,but I also wish there was a way to help our veterans on a state level. I know that's a big ask but it seems the Federal government is going backwards in this regard.

If that's where it's coming from for down payment assistance Im all for it. These kids that are probably just starting their careers in law enforcement, education, or EMTs they deserve it.They are all terribly underpaid especially when just starting their careers. So any assistance they can get would be great.

I know this is supposed to be a Federal government thing,but I also wish there was a way to help our veterans on a state level. I know that's a big ask but it seems the Federal government is going backwards in this regard.
Im with you philosophically. The unintentional comedy of the whole thing isnt all that important but appreciated.

I've often said that frequently the substance of a story is less important than the motivations of the people who leaked it to the press. In that vein, the fact that DeSantis may or may not be texting with Tom Brady is of little interest to me. But the fact that this audio of a closed-door event leaked to the NY Times makes me wonder who wanted that story out there. I could totally see DeSantis' team (specifically, Christine Pushaw) doing it to a) boost his street cred, and b) tweak Trump, who is famously thirsty for Brady.

DeSantis isn't strong in debates. He looked like a deer in headlights right here. Just completely frozen on the stage.
Disagree. They both agreed to a format with no direct questions - so his response of "Is it my time?" was fine. I don't blame Crist, he's desperate.

DeSantis isn't strong in debates. He looked like a deer in headlights right here. Just completely frozen on the stage.
Disagree. They both agreed to a format with no direct questions - so his response of "Is it my time?" was fine. I don't blame Crist, he's desperate.
I've always hated the direct-question gimmick. I still remember when Rick Lazio was debating Hillary Clinton and tried to get her to sign a pledge or something right on stage. He came across as ridiculous. Also, I know the debate rules agreed upon by candidates aren't the tablets at Mt. Sinai, but it annoys me when candidates deliberately break those rules. Similar to Walker pulling out his Play-Time Sherriff's badge after agreeing to no props

I also think it's dumb politically to talk about how your opponent wants to run for president. It makes him look strong and you look small by comparison.

DeSantis isn’t the strongest debater, but IMO this response was planned and coached up.

DeSantis’ team knew that this question was likely to be asked by Crist, even though it was against the debate rules. By pausing, and then responding “Is it my time?” he was reminding the moderator of the rules, trying to get her to call out Crist. It’s lame to whine about debate rules, and DeSantis wisely avoided that. Then he unloaded with his planned dunk of a response.

All things considered, the exchange was not executed as well as it was planned to, as the pause was awkward. I expect there were a few other responses considered, they liked this one best.

DeSantis isn’t the strongest debater, but IMO this response was planned and coached up.

DeSantis’ team knew that this question was likely to be asked by Crist, even though it was against the debate rules. By pausing, and then responding “Is it my time?” he was reminding the moderator of the rules, trying to get her to call out Crist. It’s lame to whine about debate rules, and DeSantis wisely avoided that. Then he unloaded with his planned dunk of a response.

All things considered, the exchange was not executed as well as it was planned to, as the pause was awkward. I expect there were a few other responses considered, they liked this one best.
If I were ever put in charge of a candidate's debate prep (and God help that candidate if I were), my No. 1 rule would be "no canned responses". I'm not saying they're the sole reason people hate politics, but I think they are emblematic of what people hate about politics.

By the way, I have zero proof that this is how things went down, but I am nonetheless convinced that in his 2012 VP debate with Paul Ryan, Biden totally sniffed out Ryan's attempt to bait him into a canned response.

The scene: Ryan mentioned "Jack Kennedy", which he probably assumed would lead to Biden invoking the famous Lloyd Bentsen line. And I'm sure he had an equally canned response ready to go. But instead, Biden turned to him and dismissively said, "Oh, now you're Jack Kennedy?" which totally wrong-footed Ryan.

Watch the exchange and tell me I'm wrong.

Good find there. I totally floored how much Biden has aged in 10 years.

No doubt there was a lot of pressure on DeSantis this debate. Screw up your only one badly and your presidental hopes are seriously diminished. I bet he practiced for weeks, including his at rest face. No home run was needed, just a solid presentation. He was good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread