What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me more about Ron DeSantis (1 Viewer)

I've always hated the assumption that people move from one state to another solely based on politics. I can tell you from experience that we moved from NY to Miami in 2015 based on two factors: cost of living and a desire to be closer to family. Politics had nothing to do with it (although at the time I was excited to move to a place where my presidential vote actually mattered. Little did I know ...)

In my current job, I work with lots of people who are moving their companies here, and I can tell you the reasons are all over the map. Sure, for some people it's "political" reasons like taxes, regulations, etc. For others it's weather, quality of life. And in other cases they may have moved here because of fewer Covid restrictions, but that also doesn't mean they're on board for banning abortion or regulating classroom discussions of homosexuality.

In other words, people are complicated and they don't always fit our preferred narratives
At least be honest when when making these claims 

RD is not banning ,he believes in the Heartbeat bill. HB 5 prohibits an abortion after an unborn child has reached 15 weeks of gestation. 

The other claim is just ridiculous 

At least be honest when when making these claims 

RD is not banning ,he believes in the Heartbeat bill. HB 5 prohibits an abortion after an unborn child has reached 15 weeks of gestation. 

The other claim is just ridiculous 

Will be interesting to see what he does when the outright ban lands on his desk.  Do you think he vetoes it?

He’s obviously running. It’s him or Donald at the moment. But, things aren’t really serious for another year or so.

Ron has by the far the better upside but has temperament issues and a lot to prove in terms of national appeal. Many a front runner has crumbled when things get serious.

Don oddly provides both the best chance for a Dem while also being a main front runner along with Ron.

Very much in the works for a move there myself -- he won't get my vote --  

and I'd be surprised if even half those blue state relocates are really coming to Fla for politics / Ron.

So you ruined your state now you want to ruin Florida?  If I was a Floridian, I would say "No Thanks.  Move to Baltimore instead".
South Carolina is FIRMLY in the control of the state GOP.  If you think that state is ruined, you'll likely get more juice out of blaming the state GOP than someone like JIslander :shrug:

Also, this is a #### thing to say about an individual.

What about climate change? During the rain event associated with what turned into tropical storm Alex, a professor from UM said there is good evidence that global warming has contributed to a longer Hurricane season. Here in Miami Beach, the city has spent 10s of millions on sea level rise mitigation. Most small coastal communities don't have the resources and will have to retreat sooner. Can we be a leader in green energy promotion like California?
I saw downtown Miami on Fri totally flooded -3-4 feet deep. Our old neighborhood in Hollywood just east of US1 was also flooded out, one of my old neighbors put up pics of the water rising to our old house! That never happened when we lived there 20 years ago.

I'm glad we're in the high grounds now on the ridges in Citrus. The lakes and rivers are very high now and it really has not rained much here.

South Carolina is FIRMLY in the control of the state GOP.  If you think that state is ruined, you'll likely get more juice out of blaming the state GOP than someone like JIslander :shrug:

Yeah, sometime I think about moving back south of the border but it is scary where they are going policy wise.

And, apparently some posters can just hurl personal insults all day with little reprucssion. 

Knew a guy who went to U of South Carolina. He said one time they played against Southern Cal (the other USC) and someone had a sign that said, "Ain't no Trojan can hold back these 'C###s"
Yeah, I am an alumni too. Lot's of good wordplay on the back half of that mascot name :lol:  

Need to start up the rivalry again. 

Yeah, sometime I think about moving back south of the border but it is scary where they are going policy wise.

And, apparently some posters can just hurl personal insults all day with little reprucssion. 
If you live in Rock Hill, Fort Mill or Columbia, you're fine....we lived there for almost 15 years and loved it.  Taxes are great and business loves it there too because many don't have to pay a ton of taxes.  Problem is, without tax revenue all the infrastructure and schools go to ####.  I've never understood the love for Charleston personally.  

If you live in Rock Hill, Fort Mill or Columbia, you're fine....we lived there for almost 15 years and loved it.  Taxes are great and business loves it there too because many don't have to pay a ton of taxes.  Problem is, without tax revenue all the infrastructure and schools go to ####.  I've never understood the love for Charleston personally.  
Charleston is great if you have the money to do it right. Love the historical city core and they have great restaurants. Just a pleasure to stroll around and take in the sites. I grew up outside of it, which was a bit less fun. Better if you have a boat. Still, the beaches are cheap and enjoyable. 

Yeah, it is more the infrastructure and schools that do it for me. Particularly the idea of sending my kid to school with the push to make the curriculum and culture so conservative. My wife and I both experienced that years ago and the current government is pushing the envelope. The car dependency of these areas is pretty bad too. Still, I was trying to push a Lake Murray strategy to be closer to family, but her parents are going to move from Irmo to Mint Hill locking us in the big city for a few more years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Charleston is great if you have the money to do it right. Love the historical city core and they have great restaurants. Just a pleasure to stroll around and take in the sites. I grew up outside of it, which was a bit less fun. Better if you have a boat. Still, the beaches are cheap and enjoyable. 

Yeah, it is more the infrastructure and schools that do it for me. Particularly the idea of sending my kid to school with the push to make the curriculum and culture so conservative. My wife and I both experienced that years and the current government is pushing the envelope. The car dependency of these areas is pretty bad too. Still, I was trying to push a Lake Murray strategy to be closer to family, but her parents are going to move from Irmo to Mint Hill locking us in the big city for a few more years. 
It's funny...my SIL grew up in Irmo.  Can't talk them moving to Fort Mill instead of Mint Hill?  That area seems to be able to tell the state to pound sand on most things.  It's a pretty good little area and Rock Hill is not far behind.  I was really impressed with how they were evolving their schools in Rock Hill.  The choices kids have there rival choices some kids are making with regard to college.

It's funny...my SIL grew up in Irmo.  Can't talk them moving to Fort Mill instead of Mint Hill?  That area seems to be able to tell the state to pound sand on most things.  It's a pretty good little area and Rock Hill is not far behind.  I was really impressed with how they were evolving their schools in Rock Hill.  The choices kids have there rival choices some kids are making with regard to college.
Yeah, I've looked into both Fort Mill and Irmo districts are the best in the state. Their perspective is that they have spent enough time in SC and Mint Hill is well located to the larger asian markets they shop at. I just wish her parents would have shot the lock off the wallet and bought something nicer like Mathews or closer in. Also tried to push for Lake Wylie. Can't spend it when you're gone and they are both in their 60s.  :lol:  

Yeah, I've looked into both Fort Mill and Irmo districts are the best in the state. Their perspective is that they have spent enough time in SC and Mint Hill is well located to the larger asian markets they shop at. I just wish her parents would have shot the lock off the wallet and bought something nicer like Mathews or closer in. Also tried to push for Lake Wylie. Can't spend it when you're gone and they are both in their 60s.  :lol:  
LW's been going downhill especially down by the south dam.  At one point that was where all the basketball players lived.  Most of those places are now abandoned and just eyesores.  

Lighten up, francis.

Ive talked about this before about all Democrats fleeing their respective states.

i think he stays with the heartbeat bill , period
Isnt the "hearbeat bill"  6 weeks?  There are a lot of them in the legislature committees etc.  hard to keep track.  You think he sticks with his 15 week one?
On the one hand, DeSantis clearly has a lot of sway over the FL legislature, as the recent redistricting dustup demonstrated. So I doubt they send a bill to his desk that he doesn't want to sign.

On the other hand, it's pretty clear that DeSantis is not going to allow anyone, especially a potential '24 rival, to get to his right on anything. So if SCOTUS overturns Roe and you see a game of "Can You Top This?" among GOP governors, I can guarantee you DeSantis is not going to be content with Florida being the "reasonable, moderate" alternative to whatever Greg Abbott or Kristi Noem are cooking up.

On the one hand, DeSantis clearly has a lot of sway over the FL legislature, as the recent redistricting dustup demonstrated. So I doubt they send a bill to his desk that he doesn't want to sign.

On the other hand, it's pretty clear that DeSantis is not going to allow anyone, especially a potential '24 rival, to get to his right on anything. So if SCOTUS overturns Roe and you see a game of "Can You Top This?" among GOP governors, I can guarantee you DeSantis is not going to be content with Florida being the "reasonable, moderate" alternative to whatever Greg Abbott or Kristi Noem are cooking up.
A lot of guessing going on here 

A lot of guessing going on here 
That's all predictions of the future are though.  Is there anything here that seems out of character for Ron based on recent history in other areas?  All of it is easily plausible.  The only question left is if it's probable.  He's already shown his authoritarian streak...several times now.  I know abortion isn't in that ball park, but it would not shock me in the slightest to see what ignatiusjreilly is predicting actually happen.

Free Chastity Belts and Crocodile Dung ?  it IS Florida.

That's all predictions of the future are though.  Is there anything here that seems out of character for Ron based on recent history in other areas?  All of it is easily plausible.  The only question left is if it's probable.  He's already shown his authoritarian streak...several times now.  I know abortion isn't in that ball park, but it would not shock me in the slightest to see what ignatiusjreilly is predicting actually happen.
If its authoritarian to want what his Republican base wants then i dont know what else to say , we are happy with his decisions,much like the Dems and Libs were happy with authoritarian shutdowns and mandated masks just recently. 

If its authoritarian to want what his Republican base wants then i dont know what else to say , we are happy with his decisions,much like the Dems and Libs were happy with authoritarian shutdowns and mandated masks just recently
Let's see, one was solely for trying to save lives, the other is for lib tears. 

If its authoritarian to want what his Republican base wants then i dont know what else to say , we are happy with his decisions,much like the Dems and Libs were happy with authoritarian shutdowns and mandated masks just recently. 
That's not what authoritarian is....maybe I'm starting to see the disconnect here though.  I can't fix it, but I can try and work around it.

ETA:  It's always interesting to me when one trots out the "I'm ok with doing what the group I claim to loathe is doing" line of thought...well, maybe interesting isn't the right word.  Frustrating is probably more apt.  Two sides...same coin.

Exactly. It was an educated guess after observing DeSantis closely over the past four years. His north star is always keeping the base happy. It doesn't tell me exactly what he'll do, nor does it mean he can't pivot the way he did his first year in office (although I would suspect the likelihood of that happening before the '24 primary is small). 

Anyway, if someone finds my scenario implausible they are free to point that out, or to offer their own educated guesses. 

(BTW, with the big honking exception of him using the power of the state to bring corporations to heel, I don't really view many of DeSantis' actions to be "authoritarian", particularly not his efforts to restrict abortion.)

ETA:  It's always interesting to me when one trots out the "I'm ok with doing what the group I claim to loathe is doing" line of thought...well, maybe interesting isn't the right word.  Frustrating is probably more apt.  Two sides...same coin.
I chalk that up to the weird societal decision to treat hypocrisy as the worst sin imaginable. This despite the fact that a) it often requires false equivalencies and b) the accusation of hypocrisy can invariably be thrown right back at the person making it

Doesn't change that it's a #### thing to say about an individual :shrug:

Lighten up, Francis. 

Democrats leaving the cities/states they messed up to go mess it up somewhere else is something we on the right have mentioned here and there for years now here.  :shrug:

I wasn't indicting Jslander as much as I was Democrats in general.  

However, I don't think you're upset I said it.  I think you're upset because you know it's true.  :)

Lighten up, Francis. 

Democrats leaving the cities/states they messed up to go mess it up somewhere else is something we on the right have mentioned here and there for years now here.  :shrug:

I wasn't indicting Jslander as much as I was Democrats in general.  

However, I don't think you're upset I said it.  I think you're upset because you know it's true.  :)
You can write whatever narrative in your mind is necessary.  Clearly that's a larger part of your shtick.  Not only was it a pathetic thing to say on it's face (which is my actual objection) it doesn't even apply as he's from SC and that state is (and has been for years) firmly in the grips of the GOP.

Oh...and stay classy with the continued name calling :thumbup:  

I chalk that up to the weird societal decision to treat hypocrisy as the worst sin imaginable. This despite the fact that a) it often requires false equivalencies and b) the accusation of hypocrisy can invariably be thrown right back at the person making it
I don't know....every time I read that stuff and the "whataboutism" nonsense all I hear is "I'm striving for (accepting the fact that) my side isn't any better than the side I claim to hate."  It's probably the dumbest position on this board.

Exactly. It was an educated guess after observing DeSantis closely over the past four years. His north star is always keeping the base happy. It doesn't tell me exactly what he'll do, nor does it mean he can't pivot the way he did his first year in office (although I would suspect the likelihood of that happening before the '24 primary is small). 

Anyway, if someone finds my scenario implausible they are free to point that out, or to offer their own educated guesses. 

(BTW, with the big honking exception of him using the power of the state to bring corporations to heel, I don't really view many of DeSantis' actions to be "authoritarian", particularly not his efforts to restrict abortion.)
Abortion position, so far, doesn't fit the bill.

Disney, district redrawing (though this one requires useful idiots to prop him up), threats to withhold teacher/administration salaries, not allowing companies to function as they see fit, and on and on are all samples of what I'd consider authoritarian behavior.  "Company X, you can't do...." is the opposite side of the "Comany X, you have to do...." coin.

I just heard on the news that, despite claiming he is opposed to government spending for sports teams, DeSantis just approved spending and tax write-offs for Formula One and NASCAR. 

Apparently he only objects to government spending for sports teams whose opinions he disagrees with. 

I just heard on the news that, despite claiming he is opposed to government spending for sports teams, DeSantis just approved spending and tax write-offs for Formula One and NASCAR. 

Apparently he only objects to government spending for sports teams whose opinions he disagrees with. 
Of course he's all behind the good old boys network. I am a Rays Insider and attend games frequently. I am not a fan of Stu Sternberg and wish that Elon Musk would buy the Rays and show the Yankees a ####### payroll!

I'll also say, when you read the perspectives of those of us here in Florida, they may sound REALLY different and make you wonder how that can be.  What I've learned since being here since 2017 is that this state has four distinct areas:  South Florida, Central Florida, North Florida and the Panhandle.  Some will argue the last two are basically the same, but I see them pretty different.  Anyway, they are VERY different areas of the state and even within those areas the groups seem to be very silo'd.  I happen to live in an area that is pretty different from my personal views and there are a bunch of people as ZADO has described.  That doesn't translate across the state though.
You definitely nailed that. You forgot the 5th area. Cedar Key that's the area you go to when you want to get away from all the other areas.

A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem.

You can write whatever narrative in your mind is necessary.  Clearly that's a larger part of your shtick.  Not only was it a pathetic thing to say on it's face (which is my actual objection) it doesn't even apply as he's from SC and that state is (and has been for years) firmly in the grips of the GOP.

Oh...and stay classy with the continued name calling :thumbup:  

What name did I call who again?  :lol:   

I think someone is trying to craft a narrative, and it isn't me.  You got a bad case of the vapors here.  You seem highly agitated over a statement that's been made a thousand times in these forums.  

We can move on from this now.  I feel like it's run it's course.

I think someone is trying to craft a narrative, and it isn't me.  You got a bad case of the vapors here.  You seem highly agitated over a statement that's been made a thousand times in these forums.  

I wish....

You definitely nailed that. You forgot the 5th area. Cedar Key that's the area you go to when you want to get away from all the other areas.

A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem.
Ha...good point GB.  Bringing up Cedar Key in the gulf makes me realize, I forgot about the Keys in general.  Not sure how that happened :lol:   

That's a completely different WORLD :thumbup:  

Craft a narrative?  Shoulda reported your ###.  I've gotten at least 4 months w/o attacking anyone here personally.

Craft a narrative?  Shoulda reported your ###.  I've gotten at least 4 months w/o attacking anyone here personally.

Oh please.  You guys and your drama.  

We all play the game. Don't pretend like you're above all that. You play it just as well as anybody else.

I don't remember which thread we covered it in, but this one seems as good as any to bring it back up.  Some might remember HB 233 which essentially required students to document the "intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity” at their universities.  Of course it was met with the typical lines of dismissal (blowing things out of proportion, on it's own this means nothing etc etc etc....rinse and repeat).

Well, apparently it was a little something.  Likely a testing of the waters trying to scratch that authoritarian itch Ron seems to be getting more and more often.  This bill caused some local journalists to do som FOIA requests for communications in Tallahassee.  There was a larger plan in the works it seems:

Inside Higher Ed
Jason Garcia's Substack

I don't remember which thread we covered it in, but this one seems as good as any to bring it back up.  Some might remember HB 233 which essentially required students to document the "intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity” at their universities.  Of course it was met with the typical lines of dismissal (blowing things out of proportion, on it's own this means nothing etc etc etc....rinse and repeat).

Well, apparently it was a little something.  Likely a testing of the waters trying to scratch that authoritarian itch Ron seems to be getting more and more often.  This bill caused some local journalists to do som FOIA requests for communications in Tallahassee.  There was a larger plan in the works it seems:

Inside Higher Ed
Jason Garcia's Substack
I mostly support this stuff.  There are parts here and there that I quibble with or have questions about how they would work in practice, but I don't have any particular objections in principle to this sort of thing. 

I work at a public university.  We're responsible to the legislature and, ultimately, to voters.  That doesn't mean that Joe Public should be showing up in my classroom telling me how to teach constrained optimization.  But it does mean that my colleagues and I have an obligation to serve the interests of the public.  In particular, that means that we should not turn our institutions into left-wing advocacy organizations.  And unfortunately that's exactly what most of higher ed is today.  

There was a time when we might have been able to arrest that trend on our own, but that ship sailed a few years ago.  Presidents, provosts, deans, chairs, and faculty all share the exact same worldview, they actively bully and screen out people who don't share that worldview, and they've become very evangelical about spreading that worldview.  You can't fix that internally.  

So now we're at the point where we're stuck with governors and legislators invoking their oversight responsibilities.  That sucks, but it's the right thing to do.  If we were bullying biologists into teaching undergraduates that God created the earth in six regular earth-days, and we refused to hire people who taught evolution, I would expect to see political intervention at some point.  That's roughly what most universities are doing these days with regard with social justice advocacy.  

Oh please.  You guys and your drama.  

We all play the game. Don't pretend like you're above all that. You play it just as well as anybody else.
You really should be on a time out and you know it--  I didn't report you but someone else may have -  Keep your doltish attacks on the message not the messenger. 

Inside Higher Ed
Jason Garcia's Substack
Despot Desantis

Users who are viewing this thread