What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thailand cave rescue (1 Viewer)

From the Guardian:

What we know so far

All twelve boys and their coach have been rescued, after being trapped in a cave in Thailand for 18 days. The Thai navy Seals, who have been running the operation, confirmed that all 13 members of the Wild Boar football team, have been rescued in an update on its Facebook page.

Three navy seals and a doctor, who have been with the boys, are expected to emerge from the cave soon. The rescued boys are being airlifted to hospital.

The operation began at 10.08am local time on Tuesday as the first eight boys, freed in operations on Sunday and Monday, recuperated at a hospital in the nearest city, Chiang Rai. The authorities said preparations for the final rescue mission were unaffected by heavy overnight rain.

Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, a physician from the Thai ministry of public health, said the eight boys rescued on Sunday and Monday were “cheerful”. Two boys among the first batch to be freed, who he said were aged between 14 and 16, had shown possible signs of pneumonia and all had low temperatures when they arrived.

The rescued boys are being kept in isolation to avoid the risk of infection, but the first batch have been seen by their parents through a glass window. They are not yet allowed to eat the rich Thai food they’ve been requesting - so far it’s diluted porridge, bread, and some chocolate.

They will remain in hospital for at least seven days. This mean they will probably have to turn down a Fifa invitation to the World Cup fina on Sunday.

The office of Thailand’s prime minister has thanked the tech entrepreneur Elon Musk for his offers of help. Officials praised his mini-submarine but said it was not needed.

Not to bum anyone out but we shouldn’t forget one of the rescuers did die during this operation. All of the folks that assisted in these efforts are legit heroes but Saman Gunan made the ultimate sacrifice and should be remembered
Agreed! 

Do we know what happened to him? I’m assuming drowning but did he get hung up or stuck on some rocks, etc? 

“We are not sure if this is a miracle, a science, or what. All the thirteen Wild Boars are now out of the cave,” says the latest Facebook post by the Thai navy Seals.
Miracle assisted by science and some true heroes

Agreed! 

Do we know what happened to [Suman Kunan]? I’m assuming drowning but did he get hung up or stuck on some rocks, etc? 
DivingGuys on other boards have lots of theories. Little has been released about what happened, although JG's link is the first place I've seen that Kunan wasn't diving alone -- he had a partner nearby.

According to the Guardian link

Three Thai navy divers and medic remain in cave at close of operation in northern Thailand
Does this mean they will stay another night? I don't suppose they are kicking back in the cave having a couple of celebratory beers?

Amazing story. Get well, boys. God bless. 

RIP Suman 

Really looking forward to learning about the strategy and execution of the rescue team. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This video has been making the rounds of Thai Facebook pages.

There's some murmuring about whether or not it is actual footage of THIS recent cave rescue. There is a telltale sign that points strongly to "legit", however.

With about 28 seconds left in the video, the guide rope is visible. The guide rope in the soccer team rescue is unusual in its thickness -- it's an actual sturdy rope made to be able to support a person dragging themselves along. The typical guide line used in cave diving is more like a fishing line -- the thick ropes aren't necessary to mark passages.

EDIT: I watched the video with the sound off ... someone elsewhere listened to the French-language commentary and said that is sounded like they were saying that "the boys were brought out like that" -- IOW, that this video was not the actual soccer team rescue, but was meant to demonstrate what things may have looked like in the cave.

That fat guide rope is odd, though.

EDIT2: Confirmed -- the video linked in this post is not of the soccer team rescue, but was intended to visually demonstrate some of the techniques the rescue divers were using. Original video here.

Saw this tweet, and it summed it up well for me:

Janis Mackey Frayer✔@janisfrayer

For 10 days they sat in darkness, wondering if anybody would come. Then for 8 more they waited and assured their parents they were brave enough to make it out. An incredible rescue effort centered on volunteers made this happen. A great day to believe in amazing endings.

Remember Sunday morning when we were having "weakest kids first" vs "strongest kids first" discussion? Apparently, the weakest kids were saved for last after all (per Michael Safi with The Guardian, link higher on this page).

The fact that these divers even went in looking for these boys is still amazing to me.    You'd think after 5-6 days and going a couple of miles in that cave they would just give up and say there's no way anyone would have survived.  10 freaking days later they found them...thats crazy. 

Truly an incredible story all around.  

Remember Sunday morning when we were having "weakest kids first" vs "strongest kids first" discussion? Apparently, the weakest kids were saved for last after all (per Michael Safi with The Guardian, link higher on this page).
In retrospect, that sort of makes sense - given that there were Navy Seals and a Doc with the kids in the cave for the remainder of the ordeal, so they could monitor the kids.  Use the strongest to test the plan, and clearly they learned a bit along the way, as each successive trip went a little faster.

One last comment before I let this go.  I know there are still people who are angry with, and blame, the coach.  And, I have no idea what went into the decision to go into the caves.  I don't know if locally that was considered risky or whether that was something people in the area did, even a week before the rainy season.  He does not seem like an overly risky person - but I don't know.

But, I do know, that after the decision was made - and after the point came where exiting the cave was not a viable strategy - the coach did an admirable job - leading the kids to relative safety, and keeping them calm and hopeful for 9 days.  That could not have been easy - given the absolute isolation.

Based on what I have read, he seems to be a well-grounded individual, amazing since he was orphaned as a little kid.  I hope that, emotionally, he emerges from this as strong as ever.  I am sure he will have a lifetime of regrets, but, I hope that he finds peace, and gets back to some kind of normalcy.  The soccer club seems to be welcoming him back with open arms, and I hope that he can make it.

One last comment before I let this go.  I know there are still people who are angry with, and blame, the coach.  And, I have no idea what went into the decision to go into the caves.  I don't know if locally that was considered risky or whether that was something people in the area did, even a week before the rainy season.  He does not seem like an overly risky person - but I don't know.

But, I do know, that after the decision was made - and after the point came where exiting the cave was not a viable strategy - the coach did an admirable job - leading the kids to relative safety, and keeping them calm and hopeful for 9 days.  That could not have been easy - given the absolute isolation.

Based on what I have read, he seems to be a well-grounded individual, amazing since he was orphaned as a little kid.  I hope that, emotionally, he emerges from this as strong as ever.  I am sure he will have a lifetime of regrets, but, I hope that he finds peace, and gets back to some kind of normalcy.  The soccer club seems to be welcoming him back with open arms, and I hope that he can make it.

Living in a Buddhist community should aid in the forgiveness factor, which I'm glad about.  He was the oldest and leader in the ordeal...but still just a ####### kid.

This is the first I have seen this reported - but this might change some perspectives - but, I can't vouch for the veracity - its in the PerthNow Sunday Times - and I have no idea what kind of journalism, but describing the initial events:

IT was a birthday celebration after Saturday morning football practice. The 12 boys — members of Moo Pa, the Wild Boars football team — were drawn to a vast and seemingly magical cave, Tham Luang.

It’s two weeks ago now since it all began. The boys, aged 11 to 16, rode their bikes down to the cave and spent 700 baht ($28) at the local shop, buying food, soft drink and sweets.

They left their bikes at the entrance and descended deep into the cave. The sign nearby warning that venturing inside during the wet season was dangerous because of the risk of sudden flooding meant little — this was a place they knew and loved.

They were a motley mob — hill tribe lads, Shan, Lahu and Lua, plus a couple of Lanna Thai (boys from the north) — on a boys’ own adventure. But their little journey of exploration was badly timed. A torrential downpour, hardly surprising at this time of year — rudu fon (rainy season) — has left them in a dire predicament.

Family members raised the alarm later that day. Where were they?

Their parents’ concern drove their coach 25-year-old Ekapol Jantawong, a stateless orphan who shared their love of football, to the cave. Near the entrance, he found their bikes, a discovery that meant he had to go deep inside to try to locate them and bring them back.

I have not seen any other reporting that suggests the coach was not with the team when they went in, and I would caution this could be a misunderstanding, and that we should get a better understanding in the weeks to come, as the players and coach get healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread