What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thailand cave rescue (1 Viewer)

To me it seems by far to be the most viable idea: a super strong canister guided by divers.  The main question I'd think is whether it can fit through all of the tight spaces.

Other options so far:

Drilling

Kids learning to dive/scuba

Staying 4 months
If they use this method, I wonder if they'll also go with the idea of sedating the kids while they're in the tube.

This will both reduce their anxiety and conserve oxygen in the canister.

Although it doesn't seem like they actually have to go under water for very much of the time - most of the tunnel back isn't flooded if I'm reading the diagrams correctly.

To me it seems by far to be the most viable idea: a super strong canister guided by divers.  The main question I'd think is whether it can fit through all of the tight spaces.
Many observers are treating the tight squeezes like they just have to be taken as they are. However, the British divers that found the team on Monday … those guys reported scooping away mud and rocks here and there to get through some narrow spots.

I'm sure it's not feasible to get down into that cave with heavy equipment and carve out a mini-English Channel. But if they can work at it and get some 24-inch holes up to 36 inches (or whatever), it could make a really big difference. Heck, for all we know, some of the divers going back and forth may have been doing exactly this all along.

I fully admit that maybe I'm heartless when it comes to this person--I admitted it in my first post.   However--when an adult is put in a situation to where he/she is responsible for children that are not their own--I think that using extreme caution and taking vast safety measures is a full requirement.   Taking children that do not know how to swim in a cave system that is known to flood around the same time of the year they are entering them--with no safety protocols or measures--is beyond reckless.  Do I think he intended to hurt the kids or any rescuers--of course not.  Do I think that his beyond poor decision making was the biggest culprit in why this event occured--absolutely.    My heart is absolutely with those children, their families and all of the rescuers.   I'll reserve judgement if I'll pray as strong for the coach as I do everybody else.   Either way--I'm certainly with the rest of you in regards to hoping for the best resolution possible. 
I agree with all you said, there's no doubt he made a terrible and reckless decision.

But there may be mitigating circumstances and facts that will end up coloring the final assessment of how to view his actions, and I just think it's good to wait until the entire story is known before being too harsh on him.

Glad to hear that.  Coach is a 25-yo kid himself.   I am sure he wishes they had chosen a different hike - but this seems to have started out no differently than many of the other field trips he has taken the kids on.
Yeah, there seems to be an assumption that this cave excursion was known ahead of time to be fairly chancy. I'm not sure that's the case at all, however. Keep in mind that the caves were still open to the public when the team went in (closed starting July 1) and that it was an Act of God (the flash flood) that got the team trapped.

It's also understood that the team didn't go all that dangerously deep into the cave and then got stuck. Rather, they were in a normally safe area, but retreated (much) further into the cave to escape the flood waters. IOW, the water chased them as far back as they ended up.

I think there's plenty of doubt about that. From what we know so far, he didn't take the team to the cave behind the parents' back, and they didn't go anywhere in the cave known to be an especial risk.
I mostly agree, but in the article I just posted, one of the kids in the troop that often goes in the cave with the coach and his team said that while he's been in there several times, it has never been during the rainy season.

That seems to be by far the largest error in judgement made by the coach.

I mostly agree, but in the article I just posted, one of the kids in the troop that often goes in the cave with the coach and his team said that while he's been in there several times, it has never been during the rainy season.

When's rainy season? Was the July 1st cut-off sufficient pretty much every year previous?

I think Doug posted above - the cave system did not close until July 1 - they went in on June 23.  I don't think that was unreasonable.  Unfortunate, but not unreasonable.

"Rainy Season" generally runs from July to October.  Without more, I don't see this as an egregious error in judgement. 

From Bangkok.com:

The weather in Bangkok is dominated by a tropical monsoon climate. This means the city has three main seasons: hot season from March to June, rainy season from July to October and cool season between November and February.
I checked the same info for the Thai inland city of Chiang Mai, maybe 100-150 miles south of the trapped soccer team. Some cites give the rainy season the same months as for Bangkok, other will go as early as May for the start of rainy season in Chiang Mai.

I understand that these wouldn't be sharp cut-offs anyway. I'm in sure most of the time, rainy season starts a little earlier or a little later than July (or May) 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Doug posted above - the cave system did not close until July 1 - they went in on June 23.  I don't think that was unreasonable.  Unfortunate, but not unreasonable.

"Rainy Season" generally runs from July to October.  Without more, I don't see this as an egregious error in judgement. 
I respectfully disagree... going miles into a cave 2 weeks before rainy season is a very bad error in judgement.

From the Thai tourism website:

Rainy Season 
( July - October )

The rainy season lasts from July to October and is dominated by the southwest monsoon, during which time rainfall in most of Thailand is at its heaviest.  However, like the “cool” season, the name “rainy season” is slightly misleading.  While it certainly does rain during this season it’s more likely to consist of flash-flood afternoon downpours than a continual drizzle for days.  If you can bear the heat and humidity, the weather in Thailand is typically sunny throughout the rainy season, but when the rain comes, it’s fast and it’s furious.

Fortunately for beach lovers, Thailand’s two coasts have slightly different rainy seasons, allowing visitors to find sunny beaches nearly year round. On the Andaman or west coast, where Phuket, Krabi, and the Phi Phi Islands lie, the southwest monsoon brings heavy storms from April to October, while on the Gulf of Thailand or east coast, where Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao lie, the most rain falls between September and December.  While the monsoon on the west coast brings a fairly steady season of continual rain that forces businesses outside the major tourist destinations to shut their doors for the season, the east coast storms are more similar to the north’s, generally sunny days with occasionally heavy downpours. 

I lived in Guam for a couple of years that has a similar weather pattern, and "rainy season" did mean it would rain almost every day - but they were more like isolated showers and sun (and humidity) the rest of the day.

I respectfully disagree... going miles into a cave 2 weeks before rainy season is a very bad error in judgement.
Not regarding this specific scenario … but I've more than once seen folks from East Asia gently scoff at the American (or Western) notion that "everything bad could've been prevented" or "someone is to blame". Just a cultural thing … it is what it is, I guess.

Parents of boys trapped in Thai cave tell coach: don't blame yourself

The parents of 12 boys stranded inside a northern Thailand cave have written to their children for the first time and to the coach who led them inside, telling him: “Please don’t blame yourself.”

“To all the kids,” one letter, written by the mother of Nattawut Takamsai, 14, said. “We are not mad at you at all. Do take good care of yourself. Don’t forget to cover yourself with blankets as the weather is cold. We’re worried. You will come out soon.”

She wrote to Ekkapol Chantawong, the coach: “We want you to know that no parents are angry with you at all, so don’t you worry about that.”

I have tremendous sympathy for the coach - he sounds like a very good person and an awesome mentor for those kids.

I'm not a "look for someone to blame" right away kind of person.

I'm actually more of the opposite: my philosophy is "let's fix the problem first, then learn from it so it doesn't happen again".

Saying something was a judgement error is not the same as blaming someone.

To me it's quite clear that it was extremely poor judgement to take a large group of kids inside a cave when it was perilously close to the approximate start of rainy season.

timschochet said:
I think he’s making up for it by keeping them alive and in good spirits day after day, night after night. 
It's really amazing what he seems to have done in this situation. Yes, he made a tragic mistake, but man, the fact the boys even survived long enough to be found is amazing. Maybe even more amazing that the boys aren't panicking. In addition to the obviously massive and heroic efforts of the divers and others, if these boys survive, their positive attitude and, frankly, naivety, will play a huge role. That coach seems to have been a brilliant leader so far in a horrible situation.

And the mistake itself. While we don't know all the details, but this one is sounds understandable, imo. We're talking about 11-16 boys. You know what 11-16 year old boys are? Adventurous and dumb. At that age (and much longer), we do stupid things because we want to explore. Now, obviously, the coach has responsibility here to keep 11-16 year olds from doing dumb things, but I'd think anyone that's been around 12 of them can understand this mistake a little.  Especially as a 25 year old himself. If you have sons yourself, just think of all the stupid things you let them do. Things that terrified your wife, and the times you got lucky that it didn't end tragically.

Young boys have stupidity and adventurous spirit that got them there. Now I pray that stupidity and adventurous spirit can help get them out. 

Meh condemning people before all the facts are in is the way the world works nowadays. I don’t understand the need to immediately play the blame game all the time.
Seriously. Not to mention the tremendous guilt and grief he’s going through, even before you consider he’s stuck in a cave. People are the worst. 

I have tremendous sympathy for the coach - he sounds like a very good person and an awesome mentor for those kids.

I'm not a "look for someone to blame" right away kind of person.

I'm actually more of the opposite: my philosophy is "let's fix the problem first, then learn from it so it doesn't happen again".

Saying something was a judgement error is not the same as blaming someone.

To me it's quite clear that it was extremely poor judgement to take a large group of kids inside a cave when it was perilously close to the approximate start of rainy season.
Then where will they place their faux rage?

CNN reporting that the media is being cleared out and the divers may be moving in. CNN of course is about to break into some stupid 1990s show. Anybody got any live update links?

or maybe it's just CNN trying to get me to stick around and watch this stupid 1990s show.

Musk's plan calls for mini submarines built in 8 hours and shipped in 17 hours but it sounds like they may not have that much time.

Musk's plan calls for mini submarines built in 8 hours and shipped in 17 hours but it sounds like they may not have that much time.
That was as of midday EDT ... if his team was following that plan at that time, those subs should be in the air. Not sure of what’s actually been executed, though.

CNN reporting that the media is being cleared out and the divers may be moving in. CNN of course is about to break into some stupid 1990s show. Anybody got any live update links?

or maybe it's just CNN trying to get me to stick around and watch this stupid 1990s show.
CNN's catch phrase used to be "Around the World in 30 Minutes".  Now they can't cover anything that doesn't happen in Washington.

It seems to use an existing mechanism (the transfer tube), just repurposed. That's a big deal … that some kind of new device won't have to be built from scratch.

It's the kind of thinking that saved the Apollo 13 astronauts in 1970. Doesn't look like Musk can take credit for it himself, though -- one of his engineers on the ground in Thailand came up with it.
Wait a second. I came up with this idea days ago. 

13 rescuers to pair up with each person. It's about 11 hours round trip. God's speed. I really hope they all get out alive.

How are they going to do this??
It sounds like they are separating the boys and coach in to 4 groups (4-3-3-3), and that each boy will be accompanied by 2 divers. So, not 13 divers with each boy, but 8 or 6 divers with each "group". 

Curly's Guardian link said the divers were likely preparing the first group for exit 3-4 hours ago, so the first group should be making their attempt out soon, if not already.

Hope like hell that's true, though it would seem to be way ahead of schedule (though they've repeatedly said there's no way to accurately predict the timeline(s)).

NBC reporting two kids are out and off to the hospital
Lots of corroboration here — Reuters and other outlets reporting the same.

What seems to have been key: the drainage efforts made up A LOT of ground  in the last two days before the rescue. The diving portions of the egress are considerably minimized. Don’t know to what degree, though.

Users who are viewing this thread