What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (3 Viewers)

Any chance Rivera is gone today? I'd say about 50/50. A loss next week moves it to 100%.
Hopefully the organization doesn't have that type of knee jerk reaction. Do you think the Vikings HC will be fired today? How about Coughlin? Shanahan?

2-14 in games decided by 7 points or less under Rivera. It isn't about firing a coach for going 0-2 to start a season. How many opportunities does he get to prove he is worst in the NFL at coaching close games?

Only idiots fire coaches once the season begins. I have been watching football a long time I have never seen a coaching change mid-season amount to much. I do agree that they need to be a lot more aggressive. They should have played for the first not the field goal. But the reality it this team was up 6 points on a rookie QB with no timeouts and 80 yards to go. All the D had to do was keep them out of the end zone. That's it. And I am tired of hearing it shouldn't have come to this or that. Bull####. It comes to this or that in game after game and good teams find a way to win. The much vaunted front 7 needs to take a close look in the mirror this morning. And the turnstile that passes for the right side of the line is a huge problem I don't see enough people talking about. 4.5 sacks allowed is no way to win games. I also saw BnB ragging Cam. That is so silly. His stats are fine. Maybe the D should step up on occasion.

In the Chip Kelly thread on here in the off season I am pretty sure most of the Panther fans wanted to see Newton in that offense. So yeah you are right not many wanted Rivera back. He is a defensive coach in an offensive league.

Cam in that offense as we see now would be unreal.
I very much doubt Chip Kelly would have been interested in Carolina over Philadelphia. For one Philadelphia is a bigger market, but more than anything Kelly wanted some control over personnel, and Philadelphia gave him the final word over the 53-man roster. Only four other head coaches in the league have this authority, and those are Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Mike Shanahan, and Peter Carroll.

Only idiots fire coaches once the season begins. I have been watching football a long time I have never seen a coaching change mid-season amount to much. I do agree that they need to be a lot more aggressive. They should have played for the first not the field goal. But the reality it this team was up 6 points on a rookie QB with no timeouts and 80 yards to go. All the D had to do was keep them out of the end zone. That's it. And I am tired of hearing it shouldn't have come to this or that. Bull####. It comes to this or that in game after game and good teams find a way to win. The much vaunted front 7 needs to take a close look in the mirror this morning. And the turnstile that passes for the right side of the line is a huge problem I don't see enough people talking about. 4.5 sacks allowed is no way to win games. I also saw BnB ragging Cam. That is so silly. His stats are fine. Maybe the D should step up on occasion.
had 3 2nd and longs within Buf's 25 in the 4th quarter

had another 3rd and goal on the 5 that would of clinched

all were running plays and/or draws

That is spineless losing football in today's NFL. That mindset perpetuates throughout the team. No one else to point to but the coaching staff IMO.

That is spineless losing football in today's NFL. That mindset perpetuates throughout the team. No one else to point to but the coaching staff IMO.
+1. This is not a bad group of football players. Good teams control those situations and run out the clock. Just like SEA did last weekend. Good teams require good players and good coaching.

The defense played well, and that was a tough interference call on Luke on the interception. Even if it was holding it would only be 5 yards. Pass interference was a killer. But it's the little things that kill this team. Davis blowing up the receiver who would have caught a couple yards completion... in the middle of the field. Instead of knocking the ball loose for an incomplete pass, why not let him catch it and then tackle him in bounds? Several seconds would have went off the clock with the WRs all down field. Instead, it was essentially another timeout for Manuel, who was just throwing ding/dunk passes across the middle, with no timeouts.

+1. This is not a bad group of football players. Good teams control those situations and run out the clock. Just like SEA did last weekend. Good teams require good players and good coaching.

The defense played well, and that was a tough interference call on Luke on the interception. Even if it was holding it would only be 5 yards. Pass interference was a killer. But it's the little things that kill this team. Davis blowing up the receiver who would have caught a couple yards completion... in the middle of the field. Instead of knocking the ball loose for an incomplete pass, why not let him catch it and then tackle him in bounds? Several seconds would have went off the clock with the WRs all down field. Instead, it was essentially another timeout for Manuel, who was just throwing ding/dunk passes across the middle, with no timeouts.
No they didn't. They should have been guarding the sidelines and leaving the middle open with cover over the top. Let them throw to the middle all day and down the receiver. They didn't do that. Now that may be on the coordinator. That may be on the fact that we lost 3 starters in the defensive backfield. But whatever it was that was the problem on the final drive.

"They should have been guarding the sidelines and leaving the middle open with cover over the top. Let them throw to the middle all day and down the receiver. They didn't do that. "

wut? they either threw short middle or dumped to the RB the whole way their final drive

No they didn't. They should have been guarding the sidelines and leaving the middle open with cover over the top. Let them throw to the middle all day and down the receiver. They didn't do that. Now that may be on the coordinator. That may be on the fact that we lost 3 starters in the defensive backfield. But whatever it was that was the problem on the final drive.
Sure they did. You are describing the last drive. Yeah, they didn't play well on that drive, but did for most of the game. That's what I was saying, there was no defensive formation to try and prevent them from getting out of bounds on the last drive.

No they aren't...

Manuel thru 2 games - 45 of 66, 446 yds, 3 tds, 1 int, 7 for 36 rush

Cam thru 2 games - 37 of 61, 354 yds, 3 tds, 1 int, 9 for 53 rush

Manual is averaging 6.8 yds per attempt, Cam 5.8. If Manual is dink and dump, how do you describe Cam?

I realize fantasy stats aren't real life stats, but they are easily accessible. Cam is ranked 24th right now behind Manual and Prior. He's 26th in yards per attempt.

No they aren't...

Manual is averaging 6.8 yds per attempt, Cam 5.8. If Manual is dink and dump, how do you describe Cam?

I realize fantasy stats aren't real life stats, but they are easily accessible. Cam is ranked 24th right now behind Manual and Prior. He's 26th in yards per attempt.
Yeah why don't we talk career not two games. He is the 5th fastest to 8000 yards. Tied with Manning and Brees. I could go on but I am sure you know that his career stats are actually fairly impressive. And my guess is his first two games blow EJ out of the water.

Jayrok said:
The Commish said:
I really have no words at this point...unreal.
I do. The axe should drop. This guy can't coach when coaching is needed most.
I don't know what the deal is. One week the offense will show up, the next, the defense. They NEVER seem to be ALL ready to go. The first half of this game was just brutal. I felt like Shula had been listening to local sports talk radio and just threw long ball after long ball regardless of success or rhythm/flow. The scoring drive at the end of the half should have been the approach at the beginning of the game. This team has no identity on offense and is inconsistent on defense. They don't have a bunch of noobs on either side of the ball and have plenty of talent to win DESPITE the coaching staff.
I don't think Shula was listening to sports talk radio. Rivera said he wanted more big plays in the passing game, and Shula obviously listened to him. The team still cannot close out games. Richardson probably didn't let Rivera go last season, because he didn't want to have to pay him for two more years.I don't think the axe should drop on Rivera now. That would be an Al Davis move. Let the season play out.
Why? You act as if we don't know what's going to happen. I suppose there's a slim chance that things change but there's NO evidence out there to suggest that things are going to be any different this year than the last two. It's even more clear to me now that Shula just doesn't get it and really has no clue on how to get an offense started. Same goes for Rivera. I don't see what waiting til the end of the season is going to do for this team. I don't really care why Richardson didn't let Rivera go. That's not my problem. Right now we have an owner who gives MAYBE two ####s about the fanbase and a fanbase tied to a team with no real recourse because of the PSLs. I've not heard anything from the fans that the national "experts" aren't saying themselves. Everyone sees what is going on and quite frankly, I don't really see the point in waiting til the end of the year to have another losing season.
No, I don't act like that. Bill Cowher once said that he would never work for an organization that fired their HC during the season. He said it's disrespectful, and I agree with him.
We'll agree to disagree I guess. What I find disrespectful is the attempt to trot out the same crap in a different wrapper and pass it off as something new. My issues with this organization are a loooooooooong time in the making. I've been relatively patient since the team's inception. The last few years, things have gone down hill quickly and it's been a rude awakening for me to see where we as a fanbase really stand with the organization. This isn't personal for me. Rivera and this coaching staff just happen to be the coaching staff right now. I don't have a personal vendetta against Rivera but to get respect you earn respect IMO. It's not just given....especially when it's a "rinse and repeat" approach by the people wanting the respect.

Sure they did. You are describing the last drive. Yeah, they didn't play well on that drive, but did for most of the game. That's what I was saying, there was no defensive formation to try and prevent them from getting out of bounds on the last drive.
Yeah and in the end when it mattered they folded. It doesn't matter how you start it matters how you finish and with this team there is always some part of it unable to finish. Yesterday it was the defense. Last week it was the offense. The reality is this team had every opportunity to be 2-0 right now and they gave it away both times.

NCCommish said:
BassNBrew said:
NCCommish said:
No they aren't...

Yeah why don't we talk career not two games. He is the 5th fastest to 8000 yards. Tied with Manning and Brees. I could go on but I am sure you know that his career stats are actually fairly impressive. And my guess is his first two games blow EJ out of the water.
The only thing I question with Cam at the moment is his vision. He's missed a few wide open WRs down the field. I don't have issue with anything else. He's proven he can throw the deep ball as much as the O-line has proven they can't block well enough to allow him to throw the deep ball from the pocket. To me, all the issues stem from coaching. The on field things we see are all symptoms of that. To your previous post about the other things, I agree 100%. The defense needs to look in the mirror for the game yesterday. It was on them. The offense did well enough to win, but my issue with them is it's always "just enough". No one on that side of the ball has the guts to take a chance on being great. They play not to lose and waste a TON of talent doing so.

Tunnel vision. Holding the ball too long. Inaccurate on short and midrange throws. Basically what we had 3 years ago minus the read option rush threat.

NCCommish said:
BassNBrew said:
NCCommish said:
No they aren't...

We could talk career winning percentages?

Bottom line Cam needs to be a running threat to open up this offense.

Tunnel vision. Holding the ball too long. Inaccurate on short and midrange throws. Basically what we had 3 years ago minus the read option rush threat.
He's certainly not progressing as he should, but he's not killing this team either. Frank Garcia's speakin' truth on wfnz right now and Smitty's gonna be on the show at some point. I have a hard time dumping on Newton at this point...he came into the league VERY raw with a ton of things to work on. I think his physical problems (as you list) could be a bit further along, but I'm going to give him credit on working on his maturity as well. I believe he's come a long way in three years...now it's time to really focus on his game decision/management issues.

Steve Smith is freakin' awesome. Fielding tons of calls on wfnz right now. Interesting perspective in this quote:

"I don't think you have to have people who 'know how to win'. You have to have guys who do their job everyday to the best of their ability consistently and the wins will come"

Steve Smith is freakin' awesome. Fielding tons of calls on wfnz right now. Interesting perspective in this quote:

"I don't think you have to have people who 'know how to win'. You have to have guys who do their job everyday to the best of their ability consistently and the wins will come"
Yeah he has been doing a lot of talking about players not doing their jobs but has yet to name names. That started yesterday.

NCCommish said:
BassNBrew said:
NCCommish said:
No they aren't...

We could talk career winning percentages?

Bottom line Cam needs to be a running threat to open up this offense.
My guess would be if the defense had sucked a little less last year we wouldn't have lost several games we did. Should Cam play D as well? Maybe he should have played special teams prior to Ginn's arrival as well. Ooh maybe he can throw the ball up and run under it so as to augment the receiver corp as well.

Last time I checked this was still a team sport and it took 11 guys being right on a play for it to work most of the time.

Just watched the game as I only caught it on radio yesterday.

The thing I found most interesting is that when I skipped forward 30 seconds during the Panthers drives I never missed anything. The ball was usually snapped with 3-6 secs on the play clock. That included snaps at 5 and 6 seconds when trying to run out the clock. When Manual was running his offense and I skipped forward 30 seconds, I was seeing the Bills heading back to the huddle after running a play. Manual had things running much smoother than Cam.

For years we've had WRs that couldn't get open. Now they get open and Cam over throws them by 3-5 yards.

The way Cam is staring down WRs on the out and underneath routes, I'm going to start picking up whoever plays Carolina off the waiver wire. The picks sixes are way overdue.

This team is just plain unlucky. When we need the opposition to catch a ball (inbounds and short), tehy manage to drop it.

Just watched the game as I only caught it on radio yesterday.

The thing I found most interesting is that when I skipped forward 30 seconds during the Panthers drives I never missed anything. The ball was usually snapped with 3-6 secs on the play clock. That included snaps at 5 and 6 seconds when trying to run out the clock. When Manual was running his offense and I skipped forward 30 seconds, I was seeing the Bills heading back to the huddle after running a play. Manual had things running much smoother than Cam.

For years we've had WRs that couldn't get open. Now they get open and Cam over throws them by 3-5 yards.

The way Cam is staring down WRs on the out and underneath routes, I'm going to start picking up whoever plays Carolina off the waiver wire. The picks sixes are way overdue.

This team is just plain unlucky. When we need the opposition to catch a ball (inbounds and short), tehy manage to drop it.
FWIW, Fred Jackson came out and said he intentionally dropped that ball because he knew he was going to get tackled in bounds. He's made some pretty savvy plays like that before so it's probably true.

Newton definitely still needs to get better at reading defenses and going through his progression if something isn't open, but he also made a lot of plays to extend things that other QBs wouldn't. The Bills could have added 2-4 more sacks on a less mobile QB. Ginn missed a few longer throws that hurt.

The one thing I have to say I was shocked about was how well Buffalo ran the ball. The Panthers hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher going back 7 games. And they totally bottled up Lynch. After New England shut down the running game for the most part, I was pretty surprised that Buffalo ran the ball as easily as they did. With the Panther secondary being mediocre to begin with and then suffering so many injuries, the front 7 absolutely had to neutralize the run and shut down those RB screens and they totally failed in both regards.

What are the chances that the coaching staff is asking Cam to do things and he's not willing to do them? I hadn't considered this possibility until the last couple days when Frank Garcia brought up the question. To me, Cam has to be WAY more consistent and execute. That's not a question. My question though becomes how much is the coaching staff standing in the way of letting him execute (if at all). I find myself wavering between "Cam needs to make plays despite the coaching staff" and "Cam is still learning and needs the coaching staff to help him out with the play calling (i.e. call plays that utilize his strengths)." Not sure what to think anymore.

What are the chances that the coaching staff is asking Cam to do things and he's not willing to do them? I hadn't considered this possibility until the last couple days when Frank Garcia brought up the question. To me, Cam has to be WAY more consistent and execute. That's not a question. My question though becomes how much is the coaching staff standing in the way of letting him execute (if at all). I find myself wavering between "Cam needs to make plays despite the coaching staff" and "Cam is still learning and needs the coaching staff to help him out with the play calling (i.e. call plays that utilize his strengths)." Not sure what to think anymore.
I don't buy it

We were running wildcat in the redzone sunday...

Took some time off after this weekend to think about this team and what's going on.

I think it all boils down to an organization in complete disarray. It goes beyond just the coaching or the players on the field. To build a truly successful franchise, three things have to align: organizational vision, coaching, and talent. For the Panthers, this might as well be a square, a circle, and a triangle.

Gettleman appears to have a vision (or at least we're left to hope he does). He double dipped on the d-line in the past draft, and apparently hit on both picks. The defense has an identity now. You have to hope there's a plan on offense as well, but Gettleman is taking the long-term approach.

Rivera has zero plan. Shula is even worse. Rivera's fate was sealed the day he promoted Shula.

All that said, Gettleman will get his guy next year, and hopefully that begins to align to the on-field talent. Firing RR now does no good - there's no one on the staff that can do a better job, and the team's headed toward a complete train wreck if that happens. Plus, while I'd prefer a Zimmer, Roman, or Kyle Shanahan coaching in 2014, an interim coach doing a halfway decent job puts pressure on G-man to keep him. No thanks. Run a full search. Get the right guy.

At this point, as much as I hate to say it, I'm hoping for the first pick in 2014, which at least brings options. If Cam's not the fit for the organizational vision, deal him and take Bridgewater. If he is, use the pick on Clowney, or trade the pick for a bevy of future picks and drop down, build the lines, etc.

I've grown numb to this season, but I'll be pissed if it's the usual 1-7 start with a 5-3 finish ending up 6-10 all over again.

All we hear from everyone that has ever worked with him is that he is smart, he is coachable and he works hard. As for Frank the players don't trust him? Is that the same set of players that voted him a captain? Frank Garcia is looking for attention.

NCCommish said:
The Commish said:
All we hear from everyone that has ever worked with him is that he is smart, he is coachable and he works hard. As for Frank the players don't trust him? Is that the same set of players that voted him a captain? Frank Garcia is looking for attention.
His claim is the coaching staff doesn't trust him and THAT'S why they are calling the games the way they are....or at least part of the reason. I do agree with him that Cam's not really progressed very much in his decision making ability. I'd think that by this time, he should be able to make decisions a lot quicker. It always feels like he's holding the ball way too long. I think the players are rallying around each other, but I do get the sense that kinda ends on each side of the ball meaning the offense is in the foxhole with the offense and the defense the defense.

I think there are a few factors at play here but the biggest two are ownership's vision of the team and consistency of the team. Ownership, while they might not be cheap, at the very least are foolish with money and don't spend in ways that will make this team competitive. Richardson's made it clear it's business first...winning second. Lack of consistency runs rampant in every single aspect of the organization from the coaches to the players. Hopefully, Gettleman can be the guy to get everyone on the same page but that hinges on Richardson letting go a bit.

If this ends up being the coaching staff trying to force Cam to be something he's not, they need to bench him and play Anderson.

Last edited by a moderator:
JFS171 said:
Took some time off after this weekend to think about this team and what's going on.

I think it all boils down to an organization in complete disarray. It goes beyond just the coaching or the players on the field. To build a truly successful franchise, three things have to align: organizational vision, coaching, and talent. For the Panthers, this might as well be a square, a circle, and a triangle.

Gettleman appears to have a vision (or at least we're left to hope he does). He double dipped on the d-line in the past draft, and apparently hit on both picks. The defense has an identity now. You have to hope there's a plan on offense as well, but Gettleman is taking the long-term approach.

Rivera has zero plan. Shula is even worse. Rivera's fate was sealed the day he promoted Shula.

All that said, Gettleman will get his guy next year, and hopefully that begins to align to the on-field talent. Firing RR now does no good - there's no one on the staff that can do a better job, and the team's headed toward a complete train wreck if that happens. Plus, while I'd prefer a Zimmer, Roman, or Kyle Shanahan coaching in 2014, an interim coach doing a halfway decent job puts pressure on G-man to keep him. No thanks. Run a full search. Get the right guy.

At this point, as much as I hate to say it, I'm hoping for the first pick in 2014, which at least brings options. If Cam's not the fit for the organizational vision, deal him and take Bridgewater. If he is, use the pick on Clowney, or trade the pick for a bevy of future picks and drop down, build the lines, etc.

I've grown numb to this season, but I'll be pissed if it's the usual 1-7 start with a 5-3 finish ending up 6-10 all over again.
Wasnt McDermott considered a hot commodity a few years ago. A good young up and comer? Then things went south in Philly. If the Panthers lose Sunday just see what he can do because the Rivera experiment is over.

The Panthers are in no way shape or form getting the first pick and they are not trading Newton under any circumstance. Starting qb's are a commodity in this league and Cam has shown he has all the tools. He just needs a coach to mold an offense around him. Looks like losing Chud was a big factor.

JFS171 said:

Wasnt McDermott considered a hot commodity a few years ago. A good young up and comer? Then things went south in Philly. If the Panthers lose Sunday just see what he can do because the Rivera experiment is over.

The Panthers are in no way shape or form getting the first pick and they are not trading Newton under any circumstance. Starting qb's are a commodity in this league and Cam has shown he has all the tools. He just needs a coach to mold an offense around him. Looks like losing Chud was a big factor.
I'm not really sure about that. If Cam doesn't overthrow one of a half dozen plays where the WRs were open deep, we're having a different conversation.

Any chance Rivera is gone today? I'd say about 50/50. A loss next week moves it to 100%.
Hopefully the organization doesn't have that type of knee jerk reaction. Do you think the Vikings HC will be fired today? How about Coughlin? Shanahan?
If Rivera was a two-time Super Bowl-winning coach, like Coughlin and Shanahan are, then maybe he would get as much rope as those two do.

Did anyone read that Richardson turned down a 1.25 billion offer for the Panthers last year? Here is the article link

His team might not be good, but Richardson was loyal to the Carolinas.

Jerry Richardson reportedly rejected a $1.25 billion offer for the Carolina Panthers from a Los Angeles consortium last year, according to WFNZ's Brett Jensen. The offer was more than $200 million in excess of valuation estimates given by Forbes.

News of Los Angeles' interest in the Panthers arose last year when discussions began regarding stadium funding in Charlotte for renovations. It was revealed at that time that then-mayor of Los Angeles Antonio Villaraigosa appealed for the Panthers to relocate during the Democratic National Convention in 2012.

Richardson has remained firm on keeping the Panthers in Charlotte long-term, already outlining a succession play for the organization. This involves the team being sold three-years after his death and it's assumed Richardson will establish a short list of interested buyers who will keep the Panthers in the Carolinas.

The organization and city continue to work on a long-term funding agreement that would use money raised from a food and beverage tax to help fund renovations to Bank of America Stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't anyone read that Richardson turned down a 1.25 billion offer for the Panthers last year? Here is the article link

His team might not be good, but Richardson was loyal to the Carolinas.

Jerry Richardson reportedly rejected a $1.25 billion offer for the Carolina Panthers from a Los Angeles consortium last year, according to WFNZ's Brett Jensen. The offer was more than $200 million in excess of valuation estimates given by Forbes.

News of Los Angeles' interest in the Panthers arose last year when discussions began regarding stadium funding in Charlotte for renovations. It was revealed at that time that then-mayor of Los Angeles Antonio Villaraigosa appealed for the Panthers to relocate during the Democratic National Convention in 2012.

Richardson has remained firm on keeping the Panthers in Charlotte long-term, already outlining a succession play for the organization. This involves the team being sold three-years after his death and it's assumed Richardson will establish a short list of interested buyers who will keep the Panthers in the Carolinas.

The organization and city continue to work on a long-term funding agreement that would use money raised from a food and beverage tax to help fund renovations to Bank of America Stadium.
He has a cash cow here...he'd be a monumental idiot to sell this team under these circumstances. I've called him several things, but an idiot isn't one of them.

JFS171 said:

I'm not really sure about that. If Cam doesn't overthrow one of a half dozen plays where the WRs were open deep, we're having a different conversation.
If two receivers don't drop touchdowns they had their hands on we are having a different discussion. If Fred Jackson gets ruled a fumble on that last drive instead of incomplete we might be having a different discussion. There are a lot of reasons we could be having a different discussion here that have nothing to do with Cam.

I'm not blaming Cam, nor do I personally believe they should trade the guy. What I'm saying is that the coaching and organizational vision do not appear to align with the talent on the field. IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE Cam is the guy to take this team to the promised land, then they might as well trade him. Some team would easily give a couple of firsts for Cam (the sure thing - known commodity) as opposed to trying to draft a franchise QB.

I personally belive the next coach of this team should come from the offensive side of the ball as that has seemingly plagued Carolina for much of the past decade (other than Chud's first year). They need a creative schemer to take advantage of the unique combination of skills Cam brings to the table -- guys that fit that mold (and should be on the short list IMO) are Greg Roman - OC for San Francisco, Kyle Shanahan - OC for Washington, and Kevin Sumlin - HC for Texas A&M. All three of these guys have shown the ability to build an offense around unique talents (Kaepernick, RGIII, and Manziell). I would be fine with leaving McDermott in place on the defensive side of the ball as he clearly is building something there - just needs secondary talent.

In response to McDermott being an up-and-comer... he was run out of Philly pretty fast after taking over for Jim Johnson for a couple of years. Now, wasn't all his fault - he had a complete dearth of talent, and he was hired by Carolina pretty quickly after that, but still. I don't know that I've ever heard his name as a HC candidate in any search. All that said, I do like him as a coordinator, but I believe the new coach should be given that decision.

All the handcuffing in the organization has led us to where we are now -- Gettleman handcuffed to RR instead of being able to bring in his guy. The last thing they need to do is handcuff the new coach to anyone.

Raider Nation said:
Gun to your head, who is coaching this team in 2014?
You guys are way ahead of yourselves. It will depend on how the team does over the season. Not the first two games and certainly not a game where they couldn't run nickel for a quarter and where they were forced to have linebackers covering slot receivers in their base defense. And where they had two seeming touchdowns dropped.

Raider Nation said:
I'm going to give a qualified answer, which isn't exactly "gun to your head" but I'll explain.

If the organization believes Cam is their franchise and their future, and are committed to building around him, then I believe Greg Roman is the likely coach next year with Kyle Shanahan as a close 2nd. While I think Sumlin would be pretty interesting, and I like what I've seen from him, Carolina is likely very wary of hiring a guy with no pro experience.

IF, however, Jerry is still highly involved (as I believe he might be) and if they're not sold on Cam, choose to follow the previous path of HCs, and let Gettleman pick his guy within those parameters, I believe Mike Zimmer will be the next HC. Zimmer supposedly doesn't interview well because he's brash and tells it exactly like it is (could get a taste of that from Hard Knocks as well). I have a feeling that meshes just fine with Gettleman.

IMO it's a call on whether or not Cam is the QB of the future on this team... which, shockingly, I don't think they know right now -- or should I say I don't think they're convinced of that right now.

Raider Nation said:
I'm going to give a qualified answer, which isn't exactly "gun to your head" but I'll explain.

If the organization believes Cam is their franchise and their future, and are committed to building around him, then I believe Greg Roman is the likely coach next year with Kyle Shanahan as a close 2nd. While I think Sumlin would be pretty interesting, and I like what I've seen from him, Carolina is likely very wary of hiring a guy with no pro experience.

IF, however, Jerry is still highly involved (as I believe he might be) and if they're not sold on Cam, choose to follow the previous path of HCs, and let Gettleman pick his guy within those parameters, I believe Mike Zimmer will be the next HC. Zimmer supposedly doesn't interview well because he's brash and tells it exactly like it is (could get a taste of that from Hard Knocks as well). I have a feeling that meshes just fine with Gettleman.

IMO it's a call on whether or not Cam is the QB of the future on this team... which, shockingly, I don't think they know right now -- or should I say I don't think they're convinced of that right now.
When Gettleman was interviewed last year and he gave that hesitant answer regarding Cam, I didn't put much stock in it at the time. Now? I'm not so sure. If they don't think he's the guy, that's fine...trade him or bench him and move on to Anderson. Stop dragging it out. Make the decision and move on. They've had two years to figure out if they want to build around him or not. The indecisiveness is maddening.

I'm not sure how they wouldn't view Cam as the guy. Seems like the entire offense is deteriorating due to age, injuries, and ####ty OCs.

I'm not sure how they wouldn't view Cam as the guy. Seems like the entire offense is deteriorating due to age, injuries, and ####ty OCs.
I'd like to believe the Panther issues are this simple, but the more I think about it and the more I see, I think it's systemic starting at the top with Richardson.

I'd like to believe the Panther issues are this simple, but the more I think about it and the more I see, I think it's systemic starting at the top with Richardson.
Yeah - say what you will about the Browns organization dealing away their best player (arguably). I'd be fine if Carolina trades Cam, provided they get a good return. Just make a decision on it and move forward with that decision.

The conspiracy theorists in Charlotte believe that Cam was Chud's guy, and that Chud is positioning himself in the 2014 draft to trade for Cam, not trade up for an unproven QB.

Yeah - say what you will about the Browns organization dealing away their best player (arguably). I'd be fine if Carolina trades Cam, provided they get a good return. Just make a decision on it and move forward with that decision.

The conspiracy theorists in Charlotte believe that Cam was Chud's guy, and that Chud is positioning himself in the 2014 draft to trade for Cam, not trade up for an unproven QB.
I hope they don't trade away Cam. I think the coaching staff is the root of the Panthers struggles, not Cam.

Cam has to be the most marketable guy in Panthers history. Can't see Jerry parting ways with that, even if he is deluded enough to think it makes the team better.

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
Cam has to be the most marketable guy in Panthers history. Can't see Jerry parting ways with that, even if he is deluded enough to think it makes the team better.
The only way Cam won't be a Panther is if Cam decides to bail. The Panthers will offer him the maximum contract they can just like they did Peppers. I think people read entirely too much into "the pause". Gettleman has one of the most productive, stat wise, QB's to ever play the game. How long did it take Eli to really get going with the Giants? He was in the league 5 years before his completion percentage hit 60 and his highest rating to that point was 77.0. That sucks by the way. Pretty sure Gettleman knows it takes time to develop a QB.

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
The only way Cam won't be a Panther is if Cam decides to bail. The Panthers will offer him the maximum contract they can just like they did Peppers. I think people read entirely too much into "the pause". Gettleman has one of the most productive, stat wise, QB's to ever play the game. How long did it take Eli to really get going with the Giants? He was in the league 5 years before his completion percentage hit 60 and his highest rating to that point was 77.0. That sucks by the way. Pretty sure Gettleman knows it takes time to develop a QB.
Now see this is what separates the NFL from the NBA. Even if Cam wants to bail (which I seriously doubt given his ties with Belk and his success so far in marketing) the Panthers have him by the balls. The NFL is structured so the franchises can keep the top talent. If the Panthers want to hold on to him then the Panthers can. They could have franchised Peppers but they let him walk because they didnt want to pay him. But if the Panthers want to keep Cam (and I am sure they do) he is theirs. Sure Cam can pout about it and threaten to pull a Carson Palmer but I dont see that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread