What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
I'm not sure how they wouldn't view Cam as the guy. Seems like the entire offense is deteriorating due to age, injuries, and ####ty OCs.
I'd like to believe the Panther issues are this simple, but the more I think about it and the more I see, I think it's systemic starting at the top with Richardson.
Cam has to be the most marketable guy in Panthers history. Can't see Jerry parting ways with that, even if he is deluded enough to think it makes the team better.
This is part of the systemic problem I am referring too. It's not clear if Richardson is committed to winning. He has players swearing that he is, but his actions don't mix. His actions say he's all about having a successful organization from a business perspective. If they keep Cam around and continue to try and fit that square peg in the round hole without letting Gettleman do his things, I'll believe that to be 100% true.

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
I'm not sure how they wouldn't view Cam as the guy. Seems like the entire offense is deteriorating due to age, injuries, and ####ty OCs.
I'd like to believe the Panther issues are this simple, but the more I think about it and the more I see, I think it's systemic starting at the top with Richardson.
Cam has to be the most marketable guy in Panthers history. Can't see Jerry parting ways with that, even if he is deluded enough to think it makes the team better.
The only way Cam won't be a Panther is if Cam decides to bail. The Panthers will offer him the maximum contract they can just like they did Peppers. I think people read entirely too much into "the pause". Gettleman has one of the most productive, stat wise, QB's to ever play the game. How long did it take Eli to really get going with the Giants? He was in the league 5 years before his completion percentage hit 60 and his highest rating to that point was 77.0. That sucks by the way. Pretty sure Gettleman knows it takes time to develop a QB.
Can you name anything that Cam has improved on when it comes to the field of play? Being completely honest with you, I see nothing worth noting. He's better mentally when it comes to his pouting, the way he carries himself etc, but that's about it. He has the talk down....I'm still waiting to see it translate to the field.

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
The only way Cam won't be a Panther is if Cam decides to bail. The Panthers will offer him the maximum contract they can just like they did Peppers. I think people read entirely too much into "the pause". Gettleman has one of the most productive, stat wise, QB's to ever play the game. How long did it take Eli to really get going with the Giants? He was in the league 5 years before his completion percentage hit 60 and his highest rating to that point was 77.0. That sucks by the way. Pretty sure Gettleman knows it takes time to develop a QB.
:goodposting: I agree with most everything you have written in here recently.

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
Now see this is what separates the NFL from the NBA. Even if Cam wants to bail (which I seriously doubt given his ties with Belk and his success so far in marketing) the Panthers have him by the balls. The NFL is structured so the franchises can keep the top talent. If the Panthers want to hold on to him then the Panthers can. They could have franchised Peppers but they let him walk because they didnt want to pay him. But if the Panthers want to keep Cam (and I am sure they do) he is theirs. Sure Cam can pout about it and threaten to pull a Carson Palmer but I dont see that happening.
I don't think he wants to bail either and I don't think the Panthers want to pay him over 20 million for one sulky season. That is where franchise tag would put him. He will get a deal or they will let him bail. They won't trade him because there is no one going to give them a top ten 1st rounder for him if they think they can get him after the team quits on him or he quits on them. I mean I guess they could take a low pick but then the fans would crucify them as bad as if they let him get away altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
Can you name anything that Cam has improved on when it comes to the field of play? Being completely honest with you, I see nothing worth noting. He's better mentally when it comes to his pouting, the way he carries himself etc, but that's about it. He has the talk down....I'm still waiting to see it translate to the field.
Yes I can. He is taking what the defense gives him and being much better in his decision making. His biggest problem IMO is that he still tends to lock on a receiver. He needs to run his progressions better. As I said earlier. But then given his crap line, admit it the right side is a turnstile, and the fact that he can not both throw the ball and catch it maybe that isn't all on him.

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
Yes I can. He is taking what the defense gives him and being much better in his decision making. His biggest problem IMO is that he still tends to lock on a receiver. He needs to run his progressions better. As I said earlier. But then given his crap line, admit it the right side is a turnstile, and the fact that he can not both throw the ball and catch it maybe that isn't all on him.
Cam's arms aren't long enough for him to catch Cam's passes. He doesn't just lock on a receiver, he stares them down until every defender on the field knows where he is throwing.

It's year 3 NCC and it's time for excuses to go away. Gun to my head to win this year, there are 19 other QBs I'd rather have then Cam. Long term there are 10 QBs I would take for him.

Slapdash said:
The Commish said:
Slapdash said:
Don't get me wrong...I'm not suggesting it's ALL on him, but I have to beg to differ with your comment regarding him taking what the D gives him. That was true last half of last season, but I don't see it this season. He's not only missed a ton of wide open WRs (perhaps that's what you're talking about with respect to making his progressions?), but last week he was just throwing the ball deep to throw the ball deep. I'm not sure I've seen him audible YET after being in the league for three years either. I just don't think there's been a significant step forward. Perhaps it's a problem with my expectations, but HE set my expectations.

With all that said, he appears to be doing what the OC is asking him to do. At some point, I'd like to see him go beyond that, take control and show the grit he did his first year. That's been lost IMO. The way Shula is calling the offensive game right now, this team is better served to have Anderson on the field.

Cam's arms aren't long enough for him to catch Cam's passes. He doesn't just lock on a receiver, he stares them down until every defender on the field knows where he is throwing.
Michael Vick just stared down his receiver, and :thumbup: got picked. Lots of QBs that have been in the league for years are guilty of that.

Nice job in here, NCC.

Michael Vick just stared down his receiver, and :thumbup: got picked. Lots of QBs that have been in the league for years are guilty of that.

Nice job in here, NCC.
Yup. And what happened? The Vick collects a "L" just like Cam is so good at collecting.

Nice job in here, NCC.
Yup. And what happened? The Vick collects a "L" just like Cam is so good at collecting.
Does Cam play defense? Because it is the defense that lost most of those games last year and lost to the Bills this year.

Nice job in here, NCC.
Does Cam play defense? Because it is the defense that lost most of those games last year and lost to the Bills this year.
I think we can all get on the same page in pointing the finger first at Teflon Ron and the coaching staff.

In order of blame for the current situation:

1) Jerry Richardson - for letting Hurney run it right into the f**king ground before finally firing him, and leaving Fox in the lame duck year that led to this place

2) Hurney - need I really explain this one? His drafts created a dearth of both talent and depth on the roster.

3) Rivera - an extension of the Hurney one in reality (as I never thought he should have been hired in the first place), he clearly has zero in-game management skills. They never make adjustments, time management is atrocious, and preparation is piss poor at best.

4) Shula - an extension of Rivera, really. Sure the OC hasn't treated this offense right in 2 years now, but Shula's a new low. Should have never been hired.

5) Gettleman - yes, down here at 5th, because he's cleaning up the mess the first three laid at his feet. That being said, he's not exactly re-invested the cap space they have to build depth or even add veteran talent to a depleted roster. At least he can draft first AND second rounders, unlike Hurney's ability to only draft a first.

6) The players (all of them) -- ####ty situation all around. It's not Cam's fault, and it's not the defenses fault.

You've both made good points here, but Cam hasn't been put in a position to succeed by the OC the past two years. The defense has been strung out by an offense inept at moving the ball at times, and by poor coaching decisions. When your backfield is completely decimated, and you've got a 6'5" 250lb short yardage hammer, and can win the game by gaining a foot, why on earth wouldn't you do it? Instead, let's throw our 5th-8th DBs on the field and see what happens.

So fed up with this team and organization. They need to completely clean house - scouting department, coaching, etc. Top to bottom. I sincerely hope they choose to build around Cam, but I'm tired of the indecision and clear misaligment of team vision (what they want to be) and talent acquired (who they actually are / can be). Just align the two already and let's move forward.

Nice job in here, NCC.
I think we can all get on the same page in pointing the finger first at Teflon Ron and the coaching staff.

1) Jerry Richardson - for letting Hurney run it right into the f**king ground before finally firing him, and leaving Fox in the lame duck year that led to this place

2) Hurney - need I really explain this one? His drafts created a dearth of both talent and depth on the roster.

3) Rivera - an extension of the Hurney one in reality (as I never thought he should have been hired in the first place), he clearly has zero in-game management skills. They never make adjustments, time management is atrocious, and preparation is piss poor at best.

4) Shula - an extension of Rivera, really. Sure the OC hasn't treated this offense right in 2 years now, but Shula's a new low. Should have never been hired.

5) Gettleman - yes, down here at 5th, because he's cleaning up the mess the first three laid at his feet. That being said, he's not exactly re-invested the cap space they have to build depth or even add veteran talent to a depleted roster. At least he can draft first AND second rounders, unlike Hurney's ability to only draft a first.

6) The players (all of them) -- ####ty situation all around. It's not Cam's fault, and it's not the defenses fault.

You've both made good points here, but Cam hasn't been put in a position to succeed by the OC the past two years. The defense has been strung out by an offense inept at moving the ball at times, and by poor coaching decisions. When your backfield is completely decimated, and you've got a 6'5" 250lb short yardage hammer, and can win the game by gaining a foot, why on earth wouldn't you do it? Instead, let's throw our 5th-8th DBs on the field and see what happens.

So fed up with this team and organization. They need to completely clean house - scouting department, coaching, etc. Top to bottom. I sincerely hope they choose to build around Cam, but I'm tired of the indecision and clear misaligment of team vision (what they want to be) and talent acquired (who they actually are / can be). Just align the two already and let's move forward.
My finger points at Richardson first. It begins and ends with him....the other "problems" are just symptoms of the larger.....and if I have to pinpoint a particular event of his, it was the firing of his kids. It's been a monumental plummet since then. Coincidence? Don't know, but a strong argument can be made.

Nice job in here, NCC.

My finger points at Richardson first. It begins and ends with him....the other "problems" are just symptoms of the larger.....and if I have to pinpoint a particular event of his, it was the firing of his kids. It's been a monumental plummet since then. Coincidence? Don't know, but a strong argument can be made.
I don't disagree, obviously.

Nice job in here, NCC.

Yeah the buck stops at his desk. And if rumors are to be believed a lot of the blame Hurney got belonged to JR. The ridiculous Delhomme contract was allegedly all JR for instance.

See Ron....play with a sense of urgency and good things can happen :thumbup: At least it's a sign. Hope it continues. They may want to also look at their practice squad a little closer...perhaps some answers are there to be found.

See Ron....play with a sense of urgency and good things can happen :thumbup: At least it's a sign. Hope it continues. They may want to also look at their practice squad a little closer...perhaps some answers are there to be found.
What I liked was Cam was a lot more Cam. I feel like he almost needs a hard run or two to get into it. And I hope the next time they are 4th and 1 trying to close out they remember that touchdown run where Cam pushed a DT into the end zone. They could have gotten that one and we'd 2 and 1 now in sole possession of second place in our division.

And of course that defense we saw is what they envisioned from the beginning. Tremendous pressure up front making teams one dimensional and forcing them to take chances which lead to mistakes.

What I liked was Cam was a lot more Cam. I feel like he almost needs a hard run or two to get into it. And I hope the next time they are 4th and 1 trying to close out they remember that touchdown run where Cam pushed a DT into the end zone. They could have gotten that one and we'd 2 and 1 now in sole possession of second place in our division.

And of course that defense we saw is what they envisioned from the beginning. Tremendous pressure up front making teams one dimensional and forcing them to take chances which lead to mistakes.
Agreed. And hopefully while watching film this week, Cam notices his success increases when he doesn't stare down his WR. I don't fault him completely for the INT, but I think everyone on the field knew where he was throwing in the first half. Second half was much better. Now, I just hope Rivera and company keep the foot on the gas. I was looking at the records of the NFC as a whole just a minute ago and there's only 5-6 teams with a better record than the Panthers right now, so all is not lost.

I loved the game obviously but yeah it got me a little mad thinking of the times we punted on 4rth and 1 with Newton this year. Yesterday at the goal line he picked up that Dlinemen and walked him into the end zone. That was awesome.

It's amazing what happens when you build the offense around the players, rather than the players around the offense. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Chud and team learned the same lesson late last year, so hopefully it's just happened a little sooner this season.

I'm cautiously optomistic. THe combined record of our six upcoming opponents are 4-14, so we have opportunities to win some games.

Well, that was fun to watch. Perhaps that was a little payback for the Thursday night football blowout the Giants gave last time they were in Charlotte. Defense was inspired, they must have watched the film of the last Buffalo drive over and over this week.

Agree NCCommish... Cam is much better when he plays his game. He needs to run the ball now and then to be more effective. A big QB like that should be able to get a yard at any point in the game from anywhere on the field. 250 lb QB leaning forward and then add another big body like Tolbert to follow and push him over the line.

They had SEA on the ropes too. Could easily be 3-0. Still think they'll struggle in close games when critical coaching decisions come into play, but I think they'll be in most games to the end.

Eli didn't have time to breathe with the way the cats were pouncing him. It was a thing of beauty. :wub:

Eli didn't have time to breathe with the way the cats were pouncing him. It was a thing of beauty. :wub:
our dline is awesome but holy hell that offensive line for the Giants is pretty horrific. They all seemed slow and weak. Its going to be hard for the Giants to win very much unless they figure something out and quick. Manning is going to get killed at this rate.

Agreed. And hopefully while watching film this week, Cam notices his success increases when he doesn't stare down his WR. I don't fault him completely for the INT, but I think everyone on the field knew where he was throwing in the first half. Second half was much better. Now, I just hope Rivera and company keep the foot on the gas. I was looking at the records of the NFC as a whole just a minute ago and there's only 5-6 teams with a better record than the Panthers right now, so all is not lost.
That pick was all on Lafell IMO. One of the knocks on him is he rounds off routes instead of being sharp. In fact that same route was run several more times and everyone else did it right leading to receptions. The announcers pretty much made a point of it when Ginn ran the same route and it was a completion. You got to actually come back on a come back route.

Well, that was fun to watch. Perhaps that was a little payback for the Thursday night football blowout the Giants gave last time they were in Charlotte. Defense was inspired, they must have watched the film of the last Buffalo drive over and over this week.

Agree NCCommish... Cam is much better when he plays his game. He needs to run the ball now and then to be more effective. A big QB like that should be able to get a yard at any point in the game from anywhere on the field. 250 lb QB leaning forward and then add another big body like Tolbert to follow and push him over the line.

They had SEA on the ropes too. Could easily be 3-0. Still think they'll struggle in close games when critical coaching decisions come into play, but I think they'll be in most games to the end.
We definitely could be 3-0. We should be 3-0. To think we had the team everyone is calling the best in the NFL played that close. Pretty much shut them down and let it get away. Oh well can't replay them but if we can make the playoffs, a big if, I'm not sure the Seahawks would be that happy to see us again.

our dline is awesome but holy hell that offensive line for the Giants is pretty horrific. They all seemed slow and weak. Its going to be hard for the Giants to win very much unless they figure something out and quick. Manning is going to get killed at this rate.
They looked like us against the Bills.

Much, much improved. The D - wow. I think a lot of that blame does have to go to the Giants O-line, and I'm shocked Gilbride didn't draw up any short routes to get the ball out of Manning's hands a bit faster, but even still. Amazing defensive performance. As Hardy said, this was the first game they actually had a shot at a pocket passer instead of a mobile QB.

Good scheme by McDermott to basically drop 7 in coverage every play and trust his LBs to identify the runs out of that call and fill the gaps. Really, really liking him as a coordinator. They should do the same thing to Arizona's o-line with cement shoes Palmer in the pocket.

The offense - finally. Just let Cam be Cam.

It's obviously an encouraging performance. I'm not sold on this coaching staff for the long haul, but this team does have more potential than they showed the first two weeks - no doubt about that. Not sure if they'll do enough to save Rivera over the course of the season (or that I want them to - I've never liked him as HC), but they've got a foundation here with the right coaching and a few more solid drafts. I'd love to see them hire an offensive mind to really scheme for Cam while letting McDermott do his thing with the D. Sign a Nicks type #1 in FA, draft o-line help, pick up a corner in FA.

Much, much improved. The D - wow. I think a lot of that blame does have to go to the Giants O-line, and I'm shocked Gilbride didn't draw up any short routes to get the ball out of Manning's hands a bit faster, but even still. Amazing defensive performance. As Hardy said, this was the first game they actually had a shot at a pocket passer instead of a mobile QB.

Good scheme by McDermott to basically drop 7 in coverage every play and trust his LBs to identify the runs out of that call and fill the gaps. Really, really liking him as a coordinator. They should do the same thing to Arizona's o-line with cement shoes Palmer in the pocket.

The offense - finally. Just let Cam be Cam.

It's obviously an encouraging performance. I'm not sold on this coaching staff for the long haul, but this team does have more potential than they showed the first two weeks - no doubt about that. Not sure if they'll do enough to save Rivera over the course of the season (or that I want them to - I've never liked him as HC), but they've got a foundation here with the right coaching and a few more solid drafts. I'd love to see them hire an offensive mind to really scheme for Cam while letting McDermott do his thing with the D. Sign a Nicks type #1 in FA, draft o-line help, pick up a corner in FA.
I always thought McDermott got a very raw deal in Philly. That defense performed pretty well overall. But it's hard to follow a guy like he did.

Nice job in here, NCC.
I guess the defense gets credit for this last win?

In order of credit for the last win:

1) Jerry Richardson - for bringing a team to Charlotte. Also for standing behind Rivera last week.

2) Hurney - need I really explain this one? His drafts brought us most of the stars that dominated last week.

3) Rivera - for making adjustments and outstanding preparation.

4) Shula - an extension of Rivera, really. Sure the OC hasn't treated this offense right in 2 years now, but Shula's a new high and may have us back on track.

5) Gettleman - yes, down here at 5th, because he's reveling in the sucess the first three laid at his feet. That being said, he's built depth and added veteran talent to a depleted roster. At least he can draft first AND second rounders, unlike Hurney's ability to only draft a first.

6) The players (all of them) -- Sunday was a butt whopping.

7) Cam - for only throwing one INT and a 55% completion %. Also gets huge credit for handing the ball off to DWill 23 times.

5) Gettleman - yes, down here at 5th, because he's reveling in the sucess the first three laid at his feet. That being said, he's built depth and added veteran talent to a depleted roster. At least he can draft first AND second rounders, unlike Hurney's ability to only draft a first.
Not enough credit given there

Lester, White, Mitchell, Ginn, Blackburn were significant in the win and were brought in by Getts

When is the last time Hurney got nice contributions from UDFAs and FAs?

Lester, White, Mitchell, Ginn, Blackburn were significant in the win and were brought in by Getts

That was a little bit of tongue in cheek. Getts nailed it here.

I really like how Ginn is turning out. With Cam's ability to scrabble and big arm, Ginn running loose deep could become gold. I really hope Ginn and Cam are working on building some chemistry, it will really open up the running game.

Yeah the biggest long term take away 3 weeks in is we have big early returns on Getts and Star and Short

Those 2 DTs in theory - could be the best weapon to take down Brees and Ryan

Nice job in here, NCC.
Largely yes. Does anyone think the Panthers could have won a shootout Sunday? I don't. Heck I was still wondering how they were going to lose it in the 3rd quarter.

That was a little bit of tongue in cheek. Getts nailed it here.

I really like how Ginn is turning out. With Cam's ability to scrabble and big arm, Ginn running loose deep could become gold. I really hope Ginn and Cam are working on building some chemistry, it will really open up the running game.
Gettleman has really done solid work. And I agree on Cam and Ginn. They get in sync it could be scary.

Yeah the biggest long term take away 3 weeks in is we have big early returns on Getts and Star and Short

Those 2 DTs in theory - could be the best weapon to take down Brees and Ryan
I really wish we played Denver this year. I'm getting sick of hearing Omaha and Hurry. Last night he even slipped in a Carolina. Would love to see a Kraken/Johnson sandwich with a Star on top

Hardy won Defensive Player of the Week. This extension just keeps getting pricier. I wish they had done it this offseason when DEs were a bit devalued.

Well they didn't play but had a pretty good weekend. Now if we can get a loss out of New Orleans you couldn't have asked for a better bye week. Got to followup it up with some wins though. The NFC is wide open this year and it is starting to look like there are going to be chances for teams that started slow.

Nice job in here, NCC.
Largely yes. Does anyone think the Panthers could have won a shootout Sunday? I don't. Heck I was still wondering how they were going to lose it in the 3rd quarter.
If I'm being honest, you weren't alone in this thinking :bag:

Nice job in here, NCC.
If I'm being honest, you weren't alone in this thinking :bag:
It's OK. They have teased us so many times. At some point you just say "no I am not going to try to kick the football". I swear I didn't start celebrating until it would have taken a historic comeback to win and even then I was a tad nervous.

It's OK. They have teased us so many times. At some point you just say "no I am not going to try to kick the football". I swear I didn't start celebrating until it would have taken a historic comeback to win and even then I was a tad nervous.
The Panthers have had too many 4th quarter implosions to not be nervous about losing the lead. The whole first half of last season was like that, and the beginning of this season. Hopefully that pattern was stopped in week 3.

The Panthers have had too many 4th quarter implosions to not be nervous about losing the lead. The whole first half of last season was like that, and the beginning of this season. Hopefully that pattern was stopped in week 3.
a glass half full type might argue the start of this season was the best thing for this coaching staff

Far too often they have played up and down to competition because of play calling IMO. The only way they can really reach their upside is if they have that aggressive dominating mentality on every play. I'm not sure we get that without week 1 +2.

We have seen flashes of domination on both sides of the ball. Just have to put it all together consistently.

Hopefully they learned some things. Like 250 lb QBs change the formula on going for one yard for one example.

I can't wait until we get a competent coaching staff. There's talent on this roster... and the FO seems to have it's head screwed on straight finally.

Exactly what we want to hear coming off a bye week: "We didn't really practice well and that has to get better" :wall:
That's not what he said. He said practice was good but not good enough. I like that they are setting a high bar in practice and I like that Rivera is honest enough to say it wasn't good enough and to call out the players on it as he did after the practice.

Exactly what we want to hear coming off a bye week: "We didn't really practice well and that has to get better" :wall:
That's not what he said. He said practice was good but not good enough. I like that they are setting a high bar in practice and I like that Rivera is honest enough to say it wasn't good enough and to call out the players on it as he did after the practice.
I'm not sure of the distinction you are making. I don't see much of a difference in your phrasing and mine. I have no idea what "good" means to them, so I'm not really sure how high the bar's been set. I also like Rivera's honesty about them not practicing to his expectation, but either way it's not what you want to hear coming out of a bye. That's really the only point I was attempting to make.

Users who are viewing this thread