What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A plea for civility in the PSF. (1 Viewer)

I am going to challenge myself to stop making posts like this. I have done it too many times and it is part of the problem. Posts like the one I quoted do not add anything positive to the PSF. I have done it myself so I'm not just picking on @GoBirds , I'm picking on myself.

I'd like to challenge everyone to do the same.

Thank you. If we could do more of that and less of the assuming people who disagree have some nefarious ulterior motives, we might have a chance.

It's been my experience unfortunately though that most folks don't see it like you here though. At least not for very long.
I don't mind when someone posts a comment with a laughing emoji, such as "are you crazy? :lol:", as long as there is some response to the post with actual discussion. It's just posting that by itself without addressing the comment that causes some of these back and forth slapfests.

This is so dumb. Sometimes a laughing emoji is enough and more often than not isnt a dig at the post.

Sometimes it’s a polite way to say you disagree but commenting would just make it worse.

What it isn’t is a reason to cry and take it personal or get upset about it.
I don't take it as polite. I take it as you are laughing at something said but won't take the time to actually say why or provide a thought-out rebuttal. I think it's completely crass.

If you can't comment without making it worse, maybe you should think about that - what your contributions are worth to begin with.

You find it crass and I find your delicate sensibilities - delicate. If a laughing emoji makes you upset or you take offense maybe grow thicker skin?

People are different. You can’t expect everyone to change how they post to adhere to your feelings. You can try though.
Gotta love this place, the 90% liberal majority that has been coddled since Trump here but are still somehow super sensitive to emojis from the few non Libs that have been treated like 2nd class citizens here since day 1. That’s really a thing here, let that sink in (temporarily disregarding that they all use the same emojis, those they use them on just don’t whine to the mods).

I guess that’s a good deflection from the real problems here?

Enjoy your Labor Day friend, don’t waste a thought on the normal pot stirrers aiming for 100% echo chamber.
Uhm, hello? It's not just non-libs that are using. @HomerSimpson is one poster who follows me around RELIGIOUSLY and does it to damn near every one of my posts. No lie.

This is not a "conservatives only do it" phenomena. Numerous liberals use it. But here is the difference: I don't care. Let them use it.

Hey Folks. I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to sound so whiny as it did. And it did sound whiny.

I get lots of uncomfortable mail. I'm sure most anyone who runs a public type business like ours does. I'm not unique there.

I think the thing that really stuck out and the point I meant to make was the change. This person had previously sent really friendly and fun emails to me talking about how much he loved Random shots and we shared some talk about other goofy stuff. As recently as 2020. But somehow, enough changed for him on our forums that he'd now feel this about me/FBG. I admittedly care too much about pleasing people but that just seems sad to me it would change that much.
Re the bolded; as someone who does I can assure you you‘re not alone. I’ve received some truly vile stuff.

Also, and this is just my opinion, I think you‘re similar here with how I am with golf. I don’t give myself any credit for good shots but take the bad ones very hard (are there are a lot of bad ones). Though I’d imagine there good shots here are also far harder to see. But if you look they’re there. This thread is full of the good stuff you are providing. There have been numerous people here talking about all they’ve learned here and the awesome people they’ve met. That wouldn’t happen without you allowing this place to be. Give yourself credit for that, you certainly deserve it.

I am going to challenge myself to stop making posts like this. I have done it too many times and it is part of the problem. Posts like the one I quoted do not add anything positive to the PSF. I have done it myself so I'm not just picking on @GoBirds , I'm picking on myself.

Thank you. If we could do more of that and less of the assuming people who disagree have some nefarious ulterior motives, we might have a chance.

It's been my experience unfortunately though that most folks don't see it like you here though. At least not for very long.
I don't mind when someone posts a comment with a laughing emoji, such as "are you crazy? :lol:", as long as there is some response to the post with actual discussion. It's just posting that by itself without addressing the comment that causes some of these back and forth slapfests.

This is so dumb. Sometimes a laughing emoji is enough and more often than not isnt a dig at the post.

Sometimes it’s a polite way to say you disagree but commenting would just make it worse.

I don't take it as polite. I take it as you are laughing at something said but won't take the time to actually say why or provide a thought-out rebuttal. I think it's completely crass.

If you can't comment without making it worse, maybe you should think about that - what your contributions are worth to begin with.

You find it crass and I find your delicate sensibilities - delicate. If a laughing emoji makes you upset or you take offense maybe grow thicker skin?

People are different. You can’t expect everyone to change how they post to adhere to your feelings. You can try though.
Gotta love this place, the 90% liberal majority that has been coddled since Trump here but are still somehow super sensitive to emojis from the few non Libs that have been treated like 2nd class citizens here since day 1. That’s really a thing here, let that sink in (temporarily disregarding that they all use the same emojis, those they use them on just don’t whine to the mods).

Enjoy your Labor Day friend, don’t waste a thought on the normal pot stirrers aiming for 100% echo chamber.
Uhm, hello? It's not just non-libs that are using. @HomerSimpson is one poster who follows me around RELIGIOUSLY and does it to damn near every one of my posts. No lie.

This is not a "conservatives only do it" phenomena. Numerous liberals use it. But here is the difference: I don't care. Let them use it.
I hear you man, he among others. Yet you still have the childish group that whines about it claiming it’s a one sided thing trying to get others banned. They have been coddled here over the years and the tactic has worked in the past so sadly the behavior continues.

Those are your thoughts and feelings. Not everyone shares your thoughts and opinions.

This isn’t hard.
This is a thread about civility. I am telling you right here that I find that to be rude. My feelings aren't hurt, I will be fine if you laugh at a post of mine.

However, someone with genuine interest in having a rational discussion cares about how they are perceived. Communication is a two way street - what we say isn't always received the way we want. I'm telling you now - I perceive that as being rude. If that's what you want to put out to the world, so be it.

I imagine you don't care.

Ok let’s discuss this with civility….

You do you. I'm not going to stop you from being rude. If you want to be perceived as being a jerk, go for it.

You totally avoided my question.

You find it to be rude.

I don’t.

Why is your way the only way and mine isn’t? Why does what you think supersede what I think?
I’d like to answer this. Personally I don’t care about the laughing emoji one way or another, never have.

But as a general rule I have a problem with your position, which if I understand it correctly is: “I don’t care if someone else finds something I said offensive; so long as I don’t find it offensive, I’m going to continue to say it.” IMO, this sort of position contributes to an uncivil atmosphere. I think it’s better to respect other people’s concerns whether you agree with them or not. Again, not always, but as a general rule.

This is the world you want to live in- where you force your views on others. It’s not about not caring. You can’t please everyone.

I am saying that Indont think the laughing emoji is offensive. You think it is.

Who is right? Both? Neither?
As I wrote I don’t personally find the laughing emoji offensive.

To answer your other questions:

1. I’m not trying to force any views on you. I do think you and everyone else should be polite, and that means avoiding offending other people if you can.

2. I don’t care who’s right. I care who’s civil.
I don’t believe your number 2. You have a long history of calling people bigots and other things if they don’t agree with your views. That’s not civil.
To slightly correct you: I have called views bigoted and racist and ugly. I almost never call PEOPLE bigoted and racist and ugly. I don’t think most of them are (and especially not around here.)

That being said, you raise a good point. Even calling viewpoints and not people bigoted is provocative. It’s also lazy, and yes it’s certainly not civil. And it achieves nothing good. I’m going to try to avoid doing it in the future.
Calling someone's viewpoints or opinion bigoted or racist is basically calling them that. Don't try to sugar coat it with some excuse.

Those are your thoughts and feelings. Not everyone shares your thoughts and opinions.

This isn’t hard.
This is a thread about civility. I am telling you right here that I find that to be rude. My feelings aren't hurt, I will be fine if you laugh at a post of mine.

However, someone with genuine interest in having a rational discussion cares about how they are perceived. Communication is a two way street - what we say isn't always received the way we want. I'm telling you now - I perceive that as being rude. If that's what you want to put out to the world, so be it.

You do you. I'm not going to stop you from being rude. If you want to be perceived as being a jerk, go for it.

You find it to be rude.

I don’t.

Why is your way the only way and mine isn’t? Why does what you think supersede what I think?
I’d like to answer this. Personally I don’t care about the laughing emoji one way or another, never have.

But as a general rule I have a problem with your position, which if I understand it correctly is: “I don’t care if someone else finds something I said offensive; so long as I don’t find it offensive, I’m going to continue to say it.” IMO, this sort of position contributes to an uncivil atmosphere. I think it’s better to respect other people’s concerns whether you agree with them or not. Again, not always, but as a general rule.

This is the world you want to live in- where you force your views on others. It’s not about not caring. You can’t please everyone.

1. I’m not trying to force any views on you. I do think you and everyone else should be polite, and that means avoiding offending other people if you can.

Tim you never answered. Why did you say in the title there are "Attempts" to shut the forum down? What would the reason be in your mind?

JB is the one who posted that he is considering shutting it down.
I did answer. I think there are people here who deliberately post provocative and ugly stuff with the intent of getting reaction so that ultimately this place gets shut down. I think that some of these are the same people who have openly posted in this thread that they would like to see this forum shut down. I believe the only way to stop this from happening is if we all act much more civil towards each other.

That’s what I think; others may disagree.

What I asked is why do "you" think people want it shut down? You don`t have to name actual names.

I don`t get the logic as it seems here both sides come here to bicker and argue day in and day out. If Joe decided to shut it down who are they going to argue with?
I don’t know why they want it shut down. But it’s very clear they do. Many of them have posted in this thread that they would like to see it shut down.

You think that the very people who come here day in and day out want to make it so they cant come here day in and day out?

I never even thought of of the idea but if I were Joseph, I would close it down.

Another question, aren't there other places/forums that are better suited for these discussions? A fantasy football board is your ideal place to discuss politics?
I have no idea. But I’ve sampled other discussion boards and by far this has been the best one I’ve seen. But then, I don’t want a board in which most of the people agree with me. And despite the complaints of some, that’s never been the case here.
This board is a far left liberal message board.

This isn’t hard.

You find it to be rude.

I don’t.

I don’t believe your number 2. You have a long history of calling people bigots and other things if they don’t agree with your views. That’s not civil.
To slightly correct you: I have called views bigoted and racist and ugly. I almost never call PEOPLE bigoted and racist and ugly. I don’t think most of them are (and especially not around here.)

That being said, you raise a good point. Even calling viewpoints and not people bigoted is provocative. It’s also lazy, and yes it’s certainly not civil. And it achieves nothing good. I’m going to try to avoid doing it in the future.
Calling someone's viewpoints or opinion bigoted or racist is basically calling them that. Don't try to sugar coat it with some excuse.
I don’t agree, never have. I’ve personally held views in the past which I realized later on were bigoted. That didn’t make a bigot. I simply didn’t know how offensive the views might be to other people. When I realized that It caused me to change my mind.

This isn’t hard.

You find it to be rude.

I don’t.

Tim you never answered. Why did you say in the title there are "Attempts" to shut the forum down? What would the reason be in your mind?

I did answer. I think there are people here who deliberately post provocative and ugly stuff with the intent of getting reaction so that ultimately this place gets shut down. I think that some of these are the same people who have openly posted in this thread that they would like to see this forum shut down. I believe the only way to stop this from happening is if we all act much more civil towards each other.

What I asked is why do "you" think people want it shut down? You don`t have to name actual names.

I don`t get the logic as it seems here both sides come here to bicker and argue day in and day out. If Joe decided to shut it down who are they going to argue with?
I don’t know why they want it shut down. But it’s very clear they do. Many of them have posted in this thread that they would like to see it shut down.

You think that the very people who come here day in and day out want to make it so they cant come here day in and day out?

I never even thought of of the idea but if I were Joseph, I would close it down.

Another question, aren't there other places/forums that are better suited for these discussions? A fantasy football board is your ideal place to discuss politics?
I have no idea. But I’ve sampled other discussion boards and by far this has been the best one I’ve seen. But then, I don’t want a board in which most of the people agree with me. And despite the complaints of some, that’s never been the case here.
Well first off, the terms “far left” and “liberal” contradict each other. And second, I don’t think it is.

This isn’t hard.

You find it to be rude.

I don’t.

Can a smart person have an ignorant or dumb viewpoint?
I think if I could tell somebody I think is smart they have a dumb viewpoint about something, I could tell somebody I don't think is a bigot they have a bigoted viewpoint about something. Doesn't mean I think they are a bigot.

That said, I understand there are words that have far more emotion and a charge behind them than dumb does and get tiptoeing around terms like bigoted and racist viewpoints.

How do I say that I know that the moderation policies are effective without seemingly bragging? But Joe, my first season of fantasy football was the year prior to Cheatsheets. I first encountered your name, and @Maurile Tremblay 's, and few others (some that were here those early years) on whatever those internet groups were called way back then. There was no way in hell I would enter those conversations. I was never on any other fantasy forums but sort of heard of them. I had no intention of ever posting here either, but about 24 hours after Football Guys was born on 5/2/01 I was (bragging again) member #121. I ventured into the waters, and it was safe and productive. This place was different. And it still is.

That being said I'm guessing that just like how a fantasy football site brings in some smart people, it also brings those "trash talkers" which is expressed here in that snarkiness.

I have no clue what you and your moderators put up with to make this work. I am sure I have created work from time to time and may be even one of those that tip toes the line. I hope not, but we all have our moments. And I have had them. Sorry about those, but the point being I'm not going to argue over whether it is "worth it". Or tell you how to fix anything as if I will know better. But I am going to hope that at the end of the day you decide that it is worth it. And hope that political flareups stop happening during your "silly season" (meaning when you're slammed).

Thanks GB.

That's a far cry better than the other messages I get.

This one from a few hours ago "Eat a ####, Joe. You lost my business forever when you decided to censor people for stating their opinions on your message board. Communist don’t get my business"

Oh well.
I mean, the messaging sucks but you're probably better off without that kind of person as a customer. They'd probably run off more potential customers than whatever their own contribution was.

I started playing fantasy in 2000, and the first internet fantasy message board I hung out at was FFToday. At some point a few years later this site got on my radar, and I started paying attention to it as VBD made sense to me, so I was reading articles and rankings here. And ignoring the forums since I already participated in a different forum. And then I eventually started posting in the Lost TV show thread in the FFA. This forum was so noticably better and populated with kinder people with intelligent opinions, that it was just maybe a couple of weeks before I completely left FFToday behind and moved over to using this forum. I've been a customer since. I've also advertised here. I beta tested apps here. It's all, entirely, due to just 2 things, good FF content and forums filled with good people. Not the kind of people who throw hissy fits and PM insults to the owner like a internet Karen. So, good riddance to whoever it was, I'm quite confident that you're better off without that type around here.

Hey Folks. I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to sound so whiny as it did. And it did sound whiny.

I get lots of uncomfortable mail. I'm sure most anyone who runs a public type business like ours does. I'm not unique there.

I think the thing that really stuck out and the point I meant to make was the change. This person had previously sent really friendly and fun emails to me talking about how much he loved Random shots and we shared some talk about other goofy stuff. As recently as 2020. But somehow, enough changed for him on our forums that he'd now feel this about me/FBG. I admittedly care too much about pleasing people but that just seems sad to me it would change that much.
Calling you a commie kinda cracked me up. I remember this place getting called "Jesus Joe's" over on FFToday because they thought it was too conservative.

The truth is, none of us know your politics and you're literally just running a business here. Full stop.

Thanks GB.

This one from a few hours ago "Eat a ####, Joe. You lost my business forever when you decided to censor people for stating their opinions on your message board. Communist don’t get my business"

Oh well.
Dang. That's rough. FWIW, I think you and your staff have done a great job with the moderation the last few years. You've been very fair to both sides, and you've always tried to steer things in a positive direction. To be completely honest, if I had to pick one side that I think you've been a bit harder on the last couple years, it would be the Liberals.

One of the things I am fascinated with is why things have devolved so badly in this country. Why are people so angry? If you look at things objectively we have it made. It is the safest time to be alive, and contrary to all the rhetoric in here there really aren't any existential threats from either side of the political spectrum. Yet people seem to be fixing for a fight. What's going on?

Personally I think humans have done a terrible job integrating new technologies into the world. We have spent hundreds of thousands of years evolving as a social species, where seeing and talking to people was the primary method of communication. And we changed all of that overnight, without ever thinking about the consequences. Social media has caused a lot of stress that we as a species have never had to deal with. Think about it - everything is being captured on camera now. Almost every single incidence of evil in the world is being captured and published, and it's just a mouse-click away. These things are presented as if they are a pervasive reality and threat, when in actuality they are occuring with less frequency than ever. One of the most amazing polls in the last 20 years asked people to guess the number of unarmed blacks shot and killed by police in 2019. Almost half of the "Very Liberal" respondents answered "over 1,000" - of which 14% said "over 10,000". The correct answer was 13. And I'm sure there are some great examples on the other side of the political spectrum showing the same phenomenon.

Personally I think the internet age sucks. It' so much easier to demonize others when you don't see their faces.

That's just weird (not you, the following you). Creepy even.

This isn’t hard.

You find it to be rude.

I don’t.

It's a fantasy football board.

Everyone is missing the nuance
i like the accounts that just registrar and immediately start posting in here
One thing moi does know… HT is one sexxxxy man. Almost as hot as Tim’s bald head that kind of looks like George form Sienfield or the guy from Revenge of the Nerds. Bioy I’d love to rub that bald spot between his side hair.

But to the theme here in this lovely thread. Apologies ahead of time for those emojis challenged. Coming from a muppet maybe it will sink in:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

One thing moi does know… HT is one sexxxxy man. Almost as hot as Tim’s bald head that kind of looks like George form Sienfield or the guy from Revenge of the Nerds. Bioy I’d love to rub that bald spot between his side hair.

But to the theme here in this lovely thread. Apologies ahead of time for those emojis challenged. Coming from a muppet maybe it will sink in:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Miss Piggy putting out the positive vibes, well done.

So, out of curiosity I went to look at the Geek Club on FFToday. They have threads on the MAL raid and on Biden's speech, so I looked at those since I had participated in those threads here.

Anyone calling this place a cesspool should compare it to those threads, which are simply beyond awful and literally nothing but vitriol. And they're not sequestered in their own separate forum either, their Geek Club is equivalent of our FFA.

We can certainly do better here, but after a quick look there, we're definitely not doing the worst.

So, out of curiosity I went to look at the Geek Club on FFToday. They have threads on the MAL raid and on Biden's speech, so I looked at those since I had participated in those threads here.

Anyone calling this place a cesspool should compare it to those threads, which are simply beyond awful and literally nothing but vitriol. And they're not sequestered in their own separate forum either, their Geek Club is equivalent of our FFA.

We can certainly do better here, but after a quick look there, we're definitely not doing the worst.
Yep. I periodically check there and it’s borderline 4chan bad.

It's my life experience that suggests that person might have more serious life issues that caused him to, for lack of a better word, snap. It could have just been the so called straw that broke the camel's back.

Absolutely. You just never know what's going on with someone. "Hurt people hurt people" is a true thing I believe. I choose to take that tact with the off the scale feedback I get.
The greatest and worst thing about fantasy players is their passion. Went through the same thing back in the day. Always turned out to be something else in their life.

Its why I left years ago and have not even looked back at it in almost 2 years...it was getting beyond toxic. Seems it has gotten even worse.

Its why I left years ago and have not even looked back at it in almost 2 years...it was getting beyond toxic. Seems it has gotten even worse.

I was a regular at The Huddle until it became subscriber only. Then I went to The Geek Club but I was like the only liberal there outside of Torrid Joe who was from Oregon. I could have lived with the constant insults and personal attacks (that made this place look mild) but they had posters with handle likes "I Hate Muslims" and I complained about that to the forum moderator and the owner of the site, and never got a response from either...so I started posting here (you lucky boys and girls!)

Joe we live in such a toxic online world these days and people seem to have less emotional control than ever. I’m sure the person involved in this issue was probably engaged is similar…ahem…discussions on other sites and finally hit his/her breaking point. Sadly you were probably the safest outlet at the moment.

I totally stayed away from the Geek Club discussions when I frequented that site, but my observation was that, while the football discussions weren't political per se, they seemed to have the same level of anger, which really weirded me out.

I'm still waiting my acceptance into the Geek Club from like 2013. I think they heard of me over here and wanted nothing to do with me.

I approve.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Miss Piggy putting out the positive vibes, well done.
Absolutely. I’m not ashamed to say I’m posting with a full head of steam in my pants after reading MPs post

How do I say that I know that the moderation policies are effective without seemingly bragging? But Joe, my first season of fantasy football was the year prior to Cheatsheets. I first encountered your name, and @Maurile Tremblay 's, and few others (some that were here those early years) on whatever those internet groups were called way back then. There was no way in hell I would enter those conversations. I was never on any other fantasy forums but sort of heard of them. I had no intention of ever posting here either, but about 24 hours after Football Guys was born on 5/2/01 I was (bragging again) member #121. I ventured into the waters, and it was safe and productive. This place was different. And it still is.

That being said I'm guessing that just like how a fantasy football site brings in some smart people, it also brings those "trash talkers" which is expressed here in that snarkiness.

I have no clue what you and your moderators put up with to make this work. I am sure I have created work from time to time and may be even one of those that tip toes the line. I hope not, but we all have our moments. And I have had them. Sorry about those, but the point being I'm not going to argue over whether it is "worth it". Or tell you how to fix anything as if I will know better. But I am going to hope that at the end of the day you decide that it is worth it. And hope that political flareups stop happening during your "silly season" (meaning when you're slammed).

Thanks GB.

Oh well.

That’s just mean. And for the most part, mean people suck. I’m sorry you had to receive such a vile message.

Our state is just like this forum. Democrats believe the problems Republicans see as important do not exist. There is no need for teachers to discuss sexual topics such as orientation, gender fluidity, etc in K - 5. Not even open for discussion kid should ask parent if they have a question. Media calls the verbage I just outlined the Don't Say Gay Bill which it totally is not. Florida Democrats are now up in arms because Florida's 176 Billion dollar pension fund cannot be invested in funds that take ESG into accountability. ESG does exist earlier this year Sweden took an opposite position where they would only invest pension dollars in ESG friendly investments. Here is a quote from a Florida Democrat Deborah Jepson also likened the ESG ban to the governor and Legislature banning critical race theory in schools. “It doesn’t exist. He invented a problem, talked about it with the media, then passed laws,” she said. “It’s an imaginary problem.”

ESG exists and many investment funds carry an ESG rating so it is not an imaginary problem. This is the problem that her argument is outlandish and the media prints it when they know she is lying. Why does the media continue to perpetuate the lies of people from both parties if they stopped there would be less things in print and the behavior between people would be more civil.

Anyhow, I don’t want to di
Our state is just like this forum. Democrats believe the problems Republicans see as important do not exist. There is no need for teachers to discuss sexual topics such as orientation, gender fluidity, etc in K - 5. Not even open for discussion kid should ask parent if they have a question. Media calls the verbage I just outlined the Don't Say Gay Bill which it totally is not. Florida Democrats are now up in arms because Florida's 176 Billion dollar pension fund cannot be invested in funds that take ESG into accountability. ESG does exist earlier this year Sweden took an opposite position where they would only invest pension dollars in ESG friendly investments. Here is a quote from a Florida Democrat Deborah Jepson also likened the ESG ban to the governor and Legislature banning critical race theory in schools. “It doesn’t exist. He invented a problem, talked about it with the media, then passed laws,” she said. “It’s an imaginary problem.”

ESG exists and many investment funds carry an ESG rating so it is not an imaginary problem. This is the problem that her argument is outlandish and the media prints it when they know she is lying. Why does the media continue to perpetuate the lies of people from both parties if they stopped there would be less things in print and the behavior between people would be more civil.
I’m pretty sure Jepson is correct.

Why would you not use an available tool to help identify risk
An ESG rating measures a company's exposure to long-term environmental, social, and governance risks. These risks -- involving issues such as energy efficiency, worker safety, and board independence -- have financial implications. But they are often not highlighted during traditional financial reviews. Investors who use ESG ratings to supplement financial analysis can gain a broader view of a company's long-term potential.

This is not an arguement, it is just a declaration dismissing someone's point. This is a pretty typical tactic. It is like yesterday, you stated you know Rittenhouse is guilty of something, but you can't articulate what. So you just make a declaration and dismiss a point someone who clearly has a better grasps of the facts because you don't like the side they are on.

Last edited:
An ESG rating measures a company's exposure to long-term environmental, social, and governance risks. These risks -- involving issues such as energy efficiency, worker safety, and board independence -- have financial implications. But they are often not highlighted during traditional financial reviews. Investors who use ESG ratings to supplement financial analysis can gain a broader view of a company's long-term potential.

Because most of what you call risks are more like political agendas. Governments should not be using funds to advance certain political agendas, especially when some of those causes are not agreed upon and possibly counter to the majority of voters.

My main issue is the way people carry their feelings towards others into other forums (for example ,from the political forum to the shark pool) , it seems they have developed a view of who you are based on your political stance . Its like this in real life as well . I have friends and family that never judged me as a person until Trump was elected and we never had an issue until i openly supported him. We are no different than we have ever been ,we just voted for someone others cant stand ,so now they cant stand us . We are NOT who we vote for . Take politics away and you take away any preconceived opinions of who you think someone is .

Because most of what you call risks are more like political agendas. Governments should not be using funds to advance certain political agendas, especially when some of those causes are not agreed upon and possibly counter to the majority of voters.
Do you have facts to back up your post that this is a political agenda?

This is not an arguement, it is just a declaration dismissing someone's point. This is a pretty typical tactic. It us like yesterday, you stated you know Rittenhouse is guilty of something, but you can't articulate what. So you just make a declaration and dismiss a point someone who clearly has a better grasps of the facts because you don't like the side they are on.
You can see in his history of posting many of his replies do not contain facts backing his position and they are divisive and bigoted. Funny thing is any other member who is so divisive, bigoted and antagonistic would be banned by Joe and the mods but not Tim like he is a 1%er when we all are working people.

This thread is very reflective of society in general. If I dont like it, shut it down.
If you have posted in this thread that this forum should be closed...why are you here?
Old guy rant: back in my day, if I didnt like it, I left. Now days, that isnt good enough. I need to dictate to everyone else what is acceptable.
It’s the liberal society we live in today, if you don’t like it whine and cancel it.

Forum isn’t going anywhere, even staff has spent tons of time in it over the years invested in their political agenda. This thread happens at least yearly.

That said it’s pretty clear it’s a cesspool.

Calling you a commie kinda cracked me up. I remember this place getting called "Jesus Joe's" over on FFToday because they thought it was too conservative.

I'm with you GB. I still get a good bit of that here as people jump to assume that person is on the "other" side. Folks who lean left think I'm too far right and folks who lean right think I'm too far left. Oh well.

The whole purpose of those types of funds is to promote a certain set of values, which by nature is political. Some values like transparency and behaving ethically can be universally agreed upon. But others like diversity and LGBTQ rights do get into more controversial territories which there are very strong political disagreements on.

Diversity was universal up to the point where everyone agrees that all people should have an equal opportunity. But diversity is measured by outcomes and to get equal outcomes across races, genders, and other factors it becomes where hiring practices must discriminate to force such outcomes, which is a very divisive political topic.

The LGBTQ rights is very similar. Where there is universal agreement that all people should be treated with respect, where we go off the rails and we get into political in that LGBTQ rights now include destroying what it means to be a man and a woman and also supporting the brutal act of castrating children under the guise of gender affirming care. Those are very political and I do not think government should be funding those ideologies.

Last edited:
If you have posted in this thread that this forum should be closed...why are you here?
I don’t want it to close, personally, but I think Joe should close it. It’s not good for business and his vision for what he hoped the forum could be has failed to materialize. He’s given us warnings time and time again but nothing changes for long.

The whole purpose of those types of funds is to promote a certain set of values, which by nature is political. Some values like transparency and behaving ethically can be universally agreed upon. But others like diversity and LGBTQ rights do get into more controversial territories which there are very strong political disagreements on.

Diversity was universal up to the point where everyone agrees that all people should have an equal opportunity. But diversity is measured by outcomes and to get equal outcomes across races, genders, and other factors it becomes where hiring practices must discriminate to force such outcomes, which is a very divisive political topic.

The LGBTQ rights is very similar. Where there is universal agreement that all people should be treated with respect, where we go off the rails and we get into political in that LGBTQ rights now include destroying what it means to be a man and a woman and also supporting the brutal act of castrating children under the guise of gender affirming care. Those are very political and I do not think government should be funding those ideologies.
So I know I said I wouldn't miss it if it were shut down. These posts are why I come here.

I can educate myself on things I find here. Today I get to research ESGs. A term I've never heard of and weather the state has any business getting involved. Probably wouldn't have read about it anywhere else.

This is not an arguement, it is just a declaration dismissing someone's point. This is a pretty typical tactic. It us like yesterday, you stated you know Rittenhouse is guilty of something, but you can't articulate what. So you just make a declaration and dismiss a point someone who clearly has a better grasps of the facts because you don't like the side they are on.
You can see in his history of posting many of his replies do not contain facts backing his position and they are divisive and bigoted. Funny thing is any other member who is so divisive, bigoted and antagonistic would be banned by Joe and the mods but not Tim like he is a 1%er when we all are working people.
I’m not going to respond to the content of this post except to point out that it’s the sort of post that’s going to lead to shutting this place down. It’s a personal attack written by someone who has already called for this forum to be shut down.

This is the sort of post I would have responded directly to in the past, making matters worse by creating an ugly back and forth that forces the moderators to step in. I won’t do it anymore. Hope others reading this respond the same way.

This is not an arguement, it is just a declaration dismissing someone's point. This is a pretty typical tactic. It is like yesterday, you stated you know Rittenhouse is guilty of something, but you can't articulate what. So you just make a declaration and dismiss a point someone who clearly has a better grasps of the facts because you don't like the side they are on.
I didn’t offer an argument in this thread because I don’t want to derail the thread with a discussion about what I personally think is a non-issue.

Last edited:

I'm with you GB. I still get a good bit of that here as people jump to assume that person is on the "other" side. Folks who lean left think I'm too far right and folks who lean right think I'm too far left. Oh well.
I think it's just easiest for people's egos to assume that whoever disagreed with them is from the "other" team, rather than to reflect upon themselves and wonder if they're the source of the issue.

Several of us independents get painted as hard left or hard right, depending on the topic of the thread. What people should just realize is that I'm growing into an old man that just enjoys disagreeing with most things ;)

I didn’t offer an argument in this thread because I don’t want to derail the thread with a discussion about what I personally think is a non-issue.

Then ignore the point. But instead you post something that is one step above a laughing emoji.

I’m not going to respond to the content of this post except to point out that it’s the sort of post that’s going to lead to shutting this place down. It’s a personal attack written by someone who has already called for this forum to be shut down.

This is the sort of post I would have responded directly to in the past, making matters worse by creating an ugly back and forth that forces the moderators to step in. I won’t do it anymore. Hope others reading this respond the same way.

1. It was not a personal attack. It was a statement of fact concerning your method of arguements.
2. I did not call out for this forum to shut down.

1. It was not a personal attack. It was a statement of fact concerning your method of arguements.
2. I did not call out for this forum to shut down.
My post wasn’t in response to you.

Users who are viewing this thread