What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Expanse - Syfy Show (2 Viewers)

Finished episode 2 on Saturday. It was a struggle and was probably going to give up but after reading this thread I'l give it at least 2 more episodes. 

To be fair, how many people watch the SYFY channel?  That's what it was on until Amazon picked it up for the 4th season.   Has that Arrested Development vibe to it in that it seems to have a very dedicated core following, didn't seem to be widely popular or make money, and maybe found a home and became more popular on a streaming service.  

It baffles me the crap stuff that people post about watching in the streaming thread, but it's mixed in with people saying they couldn't get through more than a couple episodes of this (sometimes the same people posting about the crap they are watching).  :shrug:

To be fair, how many people watch the SYFY channel?  That's what it was on until Amazon picked it up for the 4th season.  
This and the Magicians started at the same time and they are the best things that have been on TV since then.  SYFY is knocking it out of the park lately.

To be fair, how many people watch the SYFY channel?  That's what it was on until Amazon picked it up for the 4th season.   Has that Arrested Development vibe to it in that it seems to have a very dedicated core following, didn't seem to be widely popular or make money, and maybe found a home and became more popular on a streaming service.  

It baffles me the crap stuff that people post about watching in the streaming thread, but it's mixed in with people saying they couldn't get through more than a couple episodes of this (sometimes the same people posting about the crap they are watching).  :shrug:
I started watching this when it came out with the wife...she seemed disinterested pdq, and I couldn't get that into right away either. Got maybe 2 episodes.

Very glad I took the advice here in the FFA and kept going with it.

I heard it was SYFY’s highest rated show, but the production costs were more than it could afford and it wasn’t bring in enough viewers for their other shows. 

Well that would be why I never heard of it before Amazon.  I honestly don't even know if I have the SYFY channel. 

I only have YouTubeTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime which includes: CBS, HBO Starz and Showtime - all streaming. 

I watched all of Season 1 and it just seemed slow to me. The production/effects were top notch and I liked the cast. But the story just dragged.

Were Seasons 2 and 3 any better?

FWIW, I was hooked from the end of the first episode. My wife couldn’t get into season 1, but she kept watching with me and was hooked by mid-season 2. Pace picks up at that point but this is still a show that spreads it’s plot lines out over the whole season (or half season thanks to syfy’s split season schedules.)

Dang when I saw this was bumped I thought it was going to be news about Season 5.

I watched all of Season 1 and it just seemed slow to me. The production/effects were top notch and I liked the cast. But the story just dragged.

Were Seasons 2 and 3 any better?
I thought season 1 was just OK.  Hard to keep up with everything going on while learning about all the different factions and whatnot.  It really took off for me with season 2 and then season 3 was even better than that.

Anyone been following the news with Cas Anvar (Alex, in the show)?  Apparently there are some pretty serious sexual misconduct allegations and they may end up re-casting the character if anything comes of it.

FreeBaGeL said:
Anyone been following the news with Cas Anvar (Alex, in the show)?  Apparently there are some pretty serious sexual misconduct allegations and they may end up re-casting the character if anything comes of it.
Yes. I don't see how they can move forward with him on the show. I want to say just let Bobbie pilot the Roci.

But... I assume they are going to follow the fifth book which means that could end up being a significant hurdle in season five with some of the plot lines. Re-casting/re-shooting might make more sense.

5th season premiere is Wed December 16th. 3 episodes followed by weekly after that similar to what they did for The Boys.

Also announced that season 6 will be the last  :sadbanana: and no Cas Anvar for the final season.

IDK how they are going to wrap up the greater mythology/mystery with one more season and the books not even finished yet. I think the final book doesn’t come out until late next year and they are planning on filming the final season next month.

IDK how they are going to wrap up the greater mythology/mystery with one more season and the books not even finished yet. I think the final book doesn’t come out until late next year and they are planning on filming the final season next month.
No way I watch the final season without reading the book first.  Book 8 was freakin' spectacular and I definitely want to read the last one to see how it wraps.

Kinda bummed they'll end this after the Season 6 arc.  Finished book 8 and it was ridiculously awesome. 

I binged this show somewhat recently, and still feel like I'm pretty lost in episode 1 of the new season.  I think I needed a recap that was like twice as long.

Exactly. The whole reason streaming services became so popular was because you could watch all the episodes even of their original content, back to back. That was a feature, not a bug. 
Or, that's the reason that NF became popular.  Not sure how many other streaming services do the one day dump.   Hbo is weekly, Prime is weekly, Hulu is weekly.  

Bunch of impatient mo-fos around here.  

KarmaPolice said:
Or, that's the reason that NF became popular.  Not sure how many other streaming services do the one day dump.   Hbo is weekly, Prime is weekly, Hulu is weekly.  

Bunch of impatient mo-fos around here.  
I prefer the drop all at once because I really dont watch much television anymore. So usually I'll wait until all the episodes are out and watch over a couple of days as time allows. Yes, NF really made that convenient for me. 

Ok, Chrissy 

Don’t ####ing call me that, I’m a politician not your favorite stripper. 

You could be both. 

lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
Also figured they would end episode 3 where they did as well. Definitely leaves you wanting more.

With how quick they are moving, I wondering if they are combining Nemesis Games and Babylon’s Ashes all into this season 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't tell if i missed a season or not based on the recap. But I like the first two eps of the new season so far. 

Alright, I'm gonna give this show another run.  The first go round I found some of the characters/actors annoying, epecially Shohreh Aghdashloo; she was grating in a Fran Drescher kind of way.  I'll check my criticisms at the door and hope for a better experience this time.  I  love the idea of colonizing the solar system - because that is what we should be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread