What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Expanse - Syfy Show (1 Viewer)

I'm enjoying the season, but I'm really not loving this weekly release format.  This season the main characters are so scattered (there are like 5-6 independent plot lines) that they're only getting a few minutes an episode.  It can feel unsatisfying. 

I'm enjoying the season, but I'm really not loving this weekly release format.  This season the main characters are so scattered (there are like 5-6 independent plot lines) that they're only getting a few minutes an episode.  It can feel unsatisfying. 
You can always wait until all the episodes are out and binge. This isn’t GOTs where it’s hard to avoid spoilers.

This show is incredible. I may have to go back to the beginning and rewatch to fill the time between episodes

Loving this season. In the books I really enjoyed more Amos and excited to see the translation to screen. 

#Tiny

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always wait until all the episodes are out and binge. This isn’t GOTs where it’s hard to avoid spoilers.
Yes, true. It’s that lack of pop culture buzz which makes it a bit more frustrating they didn’t drop it all at once. Not sure what benefit they are getting out doing so. Or maybe it’s getting more publicity as a result than I’m aware of. 

This show is incredible. I may have to go back to the beginning and rewatch to fill the time between episodes
it is incredible.   I'm very glad Amazon bought it and continued it.   Its the best "sci fi" i can recall seeing onscreen.  They nailed the science.

Yes, true. It’s that lack of pop culture buzz which makes it a bit more frustrating they didn’t drop it all at once. Not sure what benefit they are getting out doing so. Or maybe it’s getting more publicity as a result than I’m aware of. 
I like having it spaced out to be honest. I enjoy binging but I tend to just keep watching and it goes too quick before you’ve got another year to wait.

It may help make some of these shows better, but I am getting tired of the 8 episode seasons. Just too fast. It’s nice to get a nice long episode versus a network TV 40 minute hour, but it sucks when you blow through 6-10 episodes and realize you’re done for an entire year. That’s why I am good with the drop 1-3 and then weekly for the rest. At least you can stretch it into 2 months and you are only waiting 10 months.

If I had to binge, I’d just wait unless it was a GOTs/lots of discussion shows where something would get spoiled.

it is incredible.   I'm very glad Amazon bought it and continued it.   Its the best "sci fi" i can recall seeing onscreen.  They nailed the science.
Seriously. And this season in particular they have nailed the suspensful ending to each episode

I’m on season 2 episode 4 so I can’t read the thread. Just wanted to say Thomas Jane is a national treasure. At least as far as cheesesteaks are a national treasure. 

Question for book peeps through all eight books- 

In S1E4 when Holden and the gang are escaping the Donnager, the people attacking the Donny have protomolecule suits on. These suits healed themselves much like the Typhoon ship in book 8. Book 8 takes place 30 years after where we're at now in the show so how was that tech available way back in S1? I also don't recall it mention in the first book. Maybe I totally whiffed on it in the books or i've had 2-3 too many bong hits, but it's been bothering me that it hasn't been connected to anything else yet in the books.

Really loved it, especially the slow reveal thru the clouds during the credits. My wife was a bit lost at points though, I had to explain a few things and remind her of hints in the dialogue from earlier episodes and how they connected.

Hope they can find some way to continue production past season 6.

Finally caught up. Great show. Will have to rewatch before season 6. I still hate the way they shoot the space stuff but it’s a minor quibble.

I just had to google the big death. And of course the actor was a scumbag thus had to be fired, ruining a good character. Bah. Come on man!

Finally caught up. Great show. Will have to rewatch before season 6. I still hate the way they shoot the space stuff but it’s a minor quibble.

I just had to google the big death. And of course the actor was a scumbag thus had to be fired, ruining a good character. Bah. Come on man!
Had no idea... But that explains it.

I completed the show a few weeks back. Do you recommend the books overall?  I could use some more stuff to listen to on audible.
I definitely would. Some of the best current sci-fi out there. Early seasons follow the early books very closely too. Eventually they have to condense down so many characters for the good of the show but neither suffer for it.

Edit: Biggest example is Drummer on the show is like a combo 3 or 4 different characters but it makes sense to keep the actress (who is awesome) instead of cycling thru new ones every season.

Really loved it, especially the slow reveal thru the clouds during the credits. My wife was a bit lost at points though, I had to explain a few things and remind her of hints in the dialogue from earlier episodes and how they connected.

i think the rumor is that Amazon is pushing for season 6 to be their last. i think they want them to squeeze the 2 books into 1 season. 

Also figured they would end episode 3 where they did as well. Definitely leaves you wanting more.

With how quick they are moving, I wondering if they are combining Nemesis Games and Babylon’s Ashes all into this season 5.
So did they combine 2 books into TV season 5?  And if so, that would leave 2 books left to finish off during the likely season 6?

modogg said:
i think the rumor is that Amazon is pushing for season 6 to be their last. i think they want them to squeeze the 2 books into 1 season. 
I think I read an interview with the show runner that suggested it wasn’t a done deal that they only had one season left. 

Just completed season 5. Really great. I think season 4 was a bit of a dip compared to the other 4 seasons, mainly because so many characters were planet bound, it seemed like the scope shrunk as a result. The way everyone was split up this season was done very well. 

Minor quibbles with Avarasalara's return to prominence in that it was pretty easily accomplished (and easy to see coming), also not sure about the whole Darth Vader thing going on with the Inaros family. Lotta verge of tears/out and out crying this season in the show. They do a really good job of depicting the amount of stress and despair these people deal with.

Every time she speaks,  I can't help wondering - how many packs did Shohreh Aghdashloo smoke a day to get her voice like that?

It was hard not to see Sugith Varughese as Mr. Mehta, but he did a good job with his role. 2nd Kim's Convenience alum to show up in this show  I think, with Jean Yoon appearing back in season 1.

I hope they do 2 more seasons, but I'll settle for 1. That might have been the quickest I've ever binge watched a season (10 episodes in like 2.5 nights).

So did they combine 2 books into TV season 5?  And if so, that would leave 2 books left to finish off during the likely season 6?
My remembrance is that they have stuck to 1 season = 1 book.  I'm hoping it stretches a little as book 8 was friggin' awesome.

I have book 9 on pre-order.  Going to be sad to see this one end, but I'm eager to see how it all plays out.

My remembrance is that they have stuck to 1 season = 1 book.  I'm hoping it stretches a little as book 8 was friggin' awesome.

I have book 9 on pre-order.  Going to be sad to see this one end, but I'm eager to see how it all plays out.
Pretty much, some small change but season 5 was basically book 5. From comments made after the season aired most likely 6 will equal book 6.

Been very little news on The Expanse front, supposedly they should have finished filming by end of April. Fingers crossed they are working on something to extend past season 6, still surprised they aren’t just finishing it out since it’s supposed to be Bezos favorite show and why Amazon saved it in the first place.

Pretty much, some small change but season 5 was basically book 5. From comments made after the season aired most likely 6 will equal book 6.

Been very little news on The Expanse front, supposedly they should have finished filming by end of April. Fingers crossed they are working on something to extend past season 6, still surprised they aren’t just finishing it out since it’s supposed to be Bezos favorite show and why Amazon saved it in the first place.
I hope he funds it all the way through.

Love how strong this series is getting towards the end. As soon as I was done with 8 i started it again. Great stuff. 

eta on 9?

Final book #9 "Leviathan Falls" dropped today 11/30.

Season 6 starts next Friday 12/10. Only 6 longer than normal episodes being released one each week this time.

Some rumors that their are plans to somehow continue on past Season 6 but no real details, some of the people involved have said this isn't a "cancellation but a pause" for whatever that means. Showrunners have also been quoted saying that the time skip between book 6 & 7 is actually pretty trivial from a show production standpoint. Maybe something like future movies or short seasons? Possible spinoffs or new content in a few years once the show rights fully revert back to the studio from Amazon has been speculated as well.

Little disappointed they are spending so much time with Marco Inaros and his Jackson Mahomes like kid since they only have 6 episodes. However, Bobbi jumping ships was supremely badass.

Thick…er, not in a bad way. She carries it well.
She is genetically superior to most women.  She is just still getting it done at 48.  He character in Boss is just jaw dropping.  She might be my all time crush.  She has no problem at all getting naked.  Need to check out the expanse

What was that?  Protomolecule ship?

Sent you a PM since I don’t know how to do spoiler tags anymore. Whatever it is likely won’t factor in unless they figure out how to continue the show past season 6.
It sounds like they make another show for the time jump — which may be another service. 

I need to read the books. Love the show. Especially the science stuff. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
It sounds like they make another show for the time jump — which may be another service. 

I need to read the books. Love the show. Especially the science stuff. 
Books are great, last one just released a few weeks ago. The show follows pretty closely too. Obviously some differences, but much more faithful than most adaptations.

Thick…er, not in a bad way. She carries it well.
Damn brother I just checked out a random episode with her in it and you aint lying.  She has chunked up quite a bit.  Her frame isnt built for adding weight.  Damn I guess we all get old at some point

Users who are viewing this thread