What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (2 Viewers)

1.01 The Wire - 91-20 Drama

Didn't expect to have a #1 pick so was prepared to go a totally different direction, but can't pass up what I consider to be one of the top shows in TV history.  Plus I really really love this show and just completed the 3rd re-watch not too long ago.  The only ding on this is the 5th/final season, but that may be a reoccurring theme I think...
Here is a great "synopsis" of why The Wire is so great.  If you haven't seen it or have tried and don't "get" why it's so damn good.  What are you doing in a TV draft???

j/K, Just give it a chance and let it wash over you.  It truly is a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlYDCuJ-c8s

It was only on for 1 season so I thought that might knock it down quite a bit.  It was 39 episodes but only one season.  Tough to rank it at the top without any longevity. 

ETA:  I guess it varies on the seasons as I have seen anywhere from 1 to 3 but so far it shows just a total of 39 episodes. 
There's a TON of "lost" episodes, but yes, not really "seasons" (blame early TV).

Longevity? For The Honeymooners? You jest, right?

There's a TON of "lost" episodes, but yes, not really "seasons" (blame early TV).

Longevity? For The Honeymooners? You jest, right?
True, that was the wrong word to use.  It definitely has lived on for sure.  I was meaning more of production.  I think it was a good pick.  I was just giving a reason why I didn't have it so high.  Who knows how the judges will value that kind of stuff.  Maybe I am just gunshy

I struggle with The Wire to be honest have tried it twice, but it hasn't grabbed me ... yet, will try again soon.  Sopranos had me from the jump and the lead is amazing in the role.  Here on the Island, I've seen one or two of the characters come into the local eateries once or twice, always good fun to see them out in the wild.
I’ve only bumped into Imperioli - in a TriBeCa wine store with his mom, on Mother’s Day. He couldn’t have been nicer.   

Same weekend I was at a party when Ben Kingsley popped in. Excuse me, Sir Ben. He walked right past me, gave us a tiny nod. I could. not. breathe.

I’ve talked to a ton of people who have met Sirico, Scirripa, SVZ, others - really good guys.

I’ve only bumped into Imperioli - in a TriBeCa wine store with his mom, on Mother’s Day. He couldn’t have been nicer.   

Same weekend I was at a party when Ben Kingsley popped in. Excuse me, Sir Ben. He walked right past me, gave us a tiny nod. I could. not. breathe.

I’ve talked to a ton of people who have met Sirico, Scirripa, SVZ, others - really good guys.
I also have a friend of the family who's brother dated Dr. Melfi for quite awhile...  I did see her at a few events for that family... no good stories made it back to me though, so that's all I got...

Love this show.  Fave episodes would be so hard.   

I was just watching bloopers/outtakes and I start to wonder how these shows ever get made with how much cracking up must go on.  
Really hard to pick favorite episodes but if anyone is unsure if they would like it, I think The Dinner Party is by far and away, the greatest comedy series episode ever. Especially if you know the characters a bit. 

1.10 - The Honeymooners - Comedy 1950-70

I feel this and Lucy are 1/2 in a category that's very top-heavy. It's a tossup as to which is better
Groundbreaking gold standards. But I doubt they end up 1 & 2.

They’re the Sammy Baugh/Don Hutson of this draft. No denying their greatness. 

Fight me.

:boxing:

Really hard to pick favorite episodes but if anyone is unsure if they would like it, I think The Dinner Party is by far and away, the greatest comedy series episode ever. Especially if you know the characters a bit. 
Love that episode, but I also like cringy, unconfortable sort of comedy and that episode is full of that with Michael and Janet going at it.    Thanks - now you have that song by Hunter in my head.  :lol:

Love that episode, but I also like cringy, unconfortable sort of comedy and that episode is full of that with Michael and Janet going at it.    Thanks - now you have that song by Hunter in my head.  :lol:
My favorite part is when Jim tries to escape with the fake flooded apartment story and is willing to leave Pam behind when Michael says there’s no need for both of them to leave.

I took her by the haaaaaand... She maaaaaade me a man...  

My favorite part is when Jim tries to escape with the fake flooded apartment story and is willing to leave Pam behind when Michael says there’s no need for both of them to leave.
Lmao. That and the charades when it's Michael's part. "His name is Tom and he went on a Cruuuuuise" 

Jim: "oh Katie Holmes" 

"no but he's married to her!" 

"oh Arnold Schwarzenegger" 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and also last quote from that episode. 

Jan: "oh its ready the osso bucco just needs to braise for another 3 hours" 

Pam: "3 hours from now or 3 hours from when you started cooking earlier?" 

Jan: "you know Pam in Spain, they don't even start dinner until midnight" 

Michael "when in Rome!" 

:lmao:

Oh and also last quote from that episode. 

Jan: "oh its ready the osso bucco just needs to braise for another 3 hours" 

Pam: "3 hours from now or 3 hours from when you started cooking earlier?" 

Jan: "you know Pam in Spain, they don't even start dinner until midnight" 

Michael "when in Rome!" 

:lmao:
One of the best episodes of any show ever. Michael’s TV lol and the song by Hunter, everything about it is gold

Groundbreaking gold standards. But I doubt they end up 1 & 2.

They’re the Sammy Baugh/Don Hutson of this draft. No denying their greatness. 

Fight me.

:boxing:
for 1950 to 1970? 

If we went beyond 1970, I would agree with you. 

for 1950 to 1970? 

If we went beyond 1970, I would agree with you. 
I could easily see a top 5 that doesn't include one and a top 10 that doesn't include the other. Opinions vary.

:shrug:

People have been telling me for six decades these are the two GOAT sitcoms. I've always been dubious. I appreciate their historical significance and love both of them.

ETA: if the category was 50s only, much stronger case for your point

I could easily see a top 5 that doesn't include one and a top 10 that doesn't include the other. Opinions vary.

:shrug:

People have been telling me for six decades these are the two GOAT sitcoms. I've always been dubious. I appreciate their historical significance and love both of them.

ETA: if the category was 50s only, much stronger case for your point
For me, it's not really historical significance - they are still funny now. I love them both. The others you're alluding to... not as much.

But, picks have been made, so we'll see.

For me, the last season of the Sopranos was way worse than Season 8 of Game Of Thrones.

I mean it really sucked compared to the first couple of seasons. 

So I just spent less time on that pick than any of my picks in the sports draft. 

This is going swimmingly. 

Users who are viewing this thread