What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Republican party is in a death spiral... (2 Viewers)

For starters any politician I vote for or party I belong to must be pro life.
Anti-abortion, you mean?
Yea.  that is what the term pro life means
I wish that we as a nation would reduce our abortion rate to as close to zero as possible.  For that reason I support policies such as free, no questions asked contraception and generous economic safety nets while rejecting ridiculous nonsense as "abstinence only" and legal prohibition of abortion,   In other words I reject the "Pro Life" movement's counterproductive positions at best and "hand wringing".at worst.  Granted this nation's immature and dishonest approach to sex in general which also drives up the abortion in unlikely to change anytime soon based on political policies.

Bottomfeeder Sports said:
I wish that we as a nation would reduce our abortion rate to as close to zero as possible.  For that reason I support policies such as free, no questions asked contraception and generous economic safety nets while rejecting ridiculous nonsense as "abstinence only" and legal prohibition of abortion,   In other words I reject the "Pro Life" movement's counterproductive positions at best and "hand wringing".at worst.  Granted this nation's immature and dishonest approach to sex in general which also drives up the abortion in unlikely to change anytime soon based on political policies.
You are mistaking the issue.

lazyike is about his own sensibilities.  And forcing them (on others) politically. He doesn't care about someone else's sensibilities or their situation.

That is why your words, and logic which get repeated by many and have data and facts to back up those positions get ignored constantly. 

BassNBrew said:
Seems to me you don't know what a death spiral is.  Obamacare would be a death spiral.  Completely rebuking Obama's legacy and defeating the most powerful and corrupt person in the Democratic party and winning both houses by running repulsive load mouth not capable of managing a FF team (referring to Trump) would be called winning.
Yet they can't get anything done and two of the three branches of government seems to be in disarray 

I love this from Senator Lindsey Graham(R). This guy has the stones to possibly end the death spiral of the GOP.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/sen-lindsey-graham-warns-holy-hell-pay-trump-48884900
If only this kind of thing were consistent from him.  He just has fits and starts of respectability.  

And I don't say that meaning that he has to say stuff I agree with for him to be respectable. 

Regardless, he's been leading the vertebrate response from the GOP.

The GOP president put Rick Perry, former GOP presidential candidate, in charge of the department he forgot existed, but that he wanted to abolish.  If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about today's GOP leadership, I don't know what else you need to see.

Maybe this article.

Last edited by a moderator:
For starters any politician I vote for or party I belong to must be pro life.
You sound like an extremist. Specifically, you'd cut off the nation's nose despite it's face... If you're a single-issue that voted for Trump, the shoe fits.

IMO, the only reasonable approach is to present policy and programs to reduce the number of abortions, which ought to unite both sides of the aisle, because nobody likes abortion. 

If you think about it, extremists with soap boxes are the real murderers ... Not saying you are that that kind of extremist, but if you oppose birth control, for instance, you're killing babies.

A lot of Christians have been subsidizing the GOP because it supposedly is the party of morality.  They just cast a vote, they don't care about other policies...it's the christian vote, they believe.

Well look at where that got us.  We have Trump, the most antithetical person to Christianity in American politics in decades, perhaps history.  Surely some folks will be forced to rethink their votes along party lines...surely....it has to happen...seriously at least someone...just a couple...anyone...no?  #$%@ ##@ @#%%@ @#$#@

I swear if enough of you disillusioned conservative Republican folks will join up with me I will actually register a party and start working towards a fiscally conservative platform while still basing everything on individual rights and dignity in the Civil Rights realm. Someone else will have to cross the goal line because I won't live to see it be viable but I'll totally start it. 
If South Park has taught us anything, it's that if you're looking to get a good turnout for anything all you need is punch and pie.

Will there be punch and pie?

I swear if enough of you disillusioned conservative Republican folks will join up with me I will actually register a party and start working towards a fiscally conservative platform while still basing everything on individual rights and dignity in the Civil Rights realm. Someone else will have to cross the goal line because I won't live to see it be viable but I'll totally start it. 

In. But I want fiat control over the party tax platform.
Add @wikkidpissah and make it a triatholon, and I will donate the first hundo.

You sound like an extremist. Specifically, you'd cut off the nation's nose despite it's face... If you're a single-issue that voted for Trump, the shoe fits.

IMO, the only reasonable approach is to present policy and programs to reduce the number of abortions, which ought to unite both sides of the aisle, because nobody likes abortion. 

If you think about it, extremists with soap boxes are the real murderers ... Not saying you are that that kind of extremist, but if you oppose birth control, for instance, you're killing babies.
You haven't been following me much if you think I voted for Trump! And I don't oppose birth control either.

A lot of Christians have been subsidizing the GOP because it supposedly is the party of morality.  They just cast a vote, they don't care about other policies...it's the christian vote, they believe.

Well look at where that got us.  We have Trump, the most antithetical person to Christianity in American politics in decades, perhaps history.  Surely some folks will be forced to rethink their votes along party lines...surely....it has to happen...seriously at least someone...just a couple...anyone...no?  #$%@ ##@ @#%%@ @#$#@
that's where the rich have really duped the American people....blind Christian voters think that the GOP has their back...throw em a bone...complain about abortion....kick transgenders out of the military...and then take away their health care..give tax cuts to the rich and tax the middle class.....

You haven't been following me much if you think I voted for Trump!
Nope, have no idea what you stand for, outside of the sole quote above. Was not trying to pick a fight, but single-issue voters tend to get my hackles up. ... Unless your single issue is honesty/sincerity/integrity. That, I get.

Full disclosure: I don't know what a hackle is, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Lazy!  :hifive:

You are a valued member of this forum.  Your insights are truly appreciated.  This was an insightful post.  Please keep it up.
Pretty sure starting a dumpster fire like this goes against the new manifesto but nice work.  :lmao:

Nope, have no idea what you stand for, outside of the sole quote above. Was not trying to pick a fight, but single-issue voters tend to get my hackles up. ... Unless your single issue is honesty/sincerity/integrity. That, I get.

Full disclosure: I don't know what a hackle is, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Lazy!  :hifive:
I believe almost all voters have a primary reason they support and vote for someone.But that is not the sole reason  At the same time there is no one I totally agree with. While I am more closely aligned with the Gop platform I have issues with them specifically on healtcare as I would rather see Obamacare repaired rather than thrown out, specifically working on the skyrocketing premiums I had to deal with on the individual market. Recently I have reidentified myself as an independent because of the support of 90% of the Gop for Trump. 

that's where the rich have really duped the American people....blind Christian voters think that the GOP has their back...throw em a bone...complain about abortion....kick transgenders out of the military...and then take away their health care..give tax cuts to the rich and tax the middle class.....
Cant rhetoric like this be said for either party? Both parties suck and it just keeps getting worse. I wish there was more talk about how to improve the quality of our politics. This crap people dive into on a daily basis is hopeless.

Cant rhetoric like this be said for either party? Both parties suck and it just keeps getting worse. I wish there was more talk about how to improve the quality of our politics. This crap people dive into on a daily basis is hopeless.
It should be pretty simple.

Don't let morally questionable people represent you.

It's not someone else's problem to fix. It's yours (collectively).

It absolutely can...unfortunately politics has turned into religion for too many and they only see what they what to see...they will gladly pass over the transgressions/faults of those that play for their team while attacking those who play for the team they don't support...it's actually pretty damn disgusting and I don't see it getting any better...it will never happen but I would love to see term limits for all these fools...do that and they will not be beholden to any special interest groups be it a Planned Parenthood or an NRA...there is not one member of Congress this country could not have lived without the past 50 years...we need to remove this culture of elitism where these people burrow into DC and simply look out for their own power/wallet while serving the masters who fill their campaign war chests (while becoming more and more detached with what goes on with the Average Joe's life)...IMO our Government has basically turned into a combination of legalized Mafia and ideological oddballs and I become more and more perplexed as to why many feel these hacks are the solution to what ails our country...

For me it's too little too late.  Just like Rubio and a bunch of others, he's just saying something now about the state of things?  I hear a lot of talk but seldom see any action.
I think Mueller is going to find something that ends the Trump Presidency and Trump has no path to get Mueller fired with the strong reactions we have heard from Graham and Grassley. 

Dear decent GOP congressional folks

Now that Dennis Hastert is out, it is time for the stupid Hastert Rule to also be shown the door.  Your allies for sensible governing are across the aisle, not in the Tea Party caucuses.  The fear of being primary'ed  would decrease if you started to do some decent things.

Anyway, just a thought.

Kellyanne Conway: Ethical disclosures discourage people from government service.

#### you. Seriously.
Clearly hasn't stopped any of her current contemporaries.  Can't discourage anyone when they're ignored and don't have any consequence.

it will never happen but I would love to see term limits for all these fools.
I have zero idea why this was not implemented from jump (well, I mean, I pretty much know why.  It's just disappointing it wasn't considered at the time).  This idea that becoming a senator/rep is like some kind of "tenured" position is beyond ridiculous.  Many aren't serving because of any civic mindedness.  They're serving because the system enriches them. In some cases for decades.

"Term limits on public service" and "no more treating corporations like individual citizens" would got a long, long way to cleaning up a ton of the mess in American politics.  It's also about as likely for unicorn's to leap directly from Ted Cruz's a$$ as it would be to get either of those items implemented, since the people who benefit the most from both are the same people who would have to be responsible for implementing them.  Zero chance enough of them are willing to kill the golden goose.

Please don't do that. 
Hey Joe,

I think you read a few of my posts supporting a thread where Trump supporters can go without hearing negativity all the time.  I'm still for that.  Have you considered allowing for a space where the rest of us can just go and blow off steam about the Trump admin?  Still within some of your limits, but where we can express some frustrations with stronger language than in the theoretically high minded ones?  I think we'd all appreciate it and also leave the high minded threads much cleaner.  Thanks.

Hey Joe,

I think you read a few of my posts supporting a thread where Trump supporters can go without hearing negativity all the time.  I'm still for that.  Have you considered allowing for a space where the rest of us can just go and blow off steam about the Trump admin?  Still within some of your limits, but where we can express some frustrations with stronger language than in the theoretically high minded ones?  I think we'd all appreciate it and also leave the high minded threads much cleaner.  Thanks.
I think those spaces are called "facebook" and "twitter"

I don't mind the name change, but the original intent was to make a comparison between folks on the right saying Obamacare is in a death spiral while folks on the left don't agree and see only issues that need fixing, but a solid foundation worth preserving, and the GOP, which a lot of conservatives find problems with currently, but feel like with some tweaks it can be a good thing again and serve people well.

I think the vote last night, where the GOP couldn't even rally its own membership around a compromise measure specifically geared towards getting only their members to do something supposedly only symbolic, failed.  They can't even succeed on major issues like this within their own party, on ideas that are the bare minimum of what they've all been agreeing on for the past 7 years - which is that Obamacare needs to be repealed and replaced with a republican solution that they'll put in place when elected.  

When will folks wake up, on the right, and realize that the party they have now IS NOT a party that suits their interests, nor is it one in touch with the modern era of information or needs.  The GOP, like Obamacare, at its heart has a lot of good stuff worth salvaging.  It's a necessary counterbalance to the crazy liberals, so long as we're a two party nation.  So for God's sake, start being honest about the GOP being in the same kind of death spiral as Obamacare and step up and work to fix BOTH.  

Perhaps ironically enough, we'll start to see this repair being done when and if the GOP ever starts working with the democrats on fixing problems at the core of Obamacare, thus starting to end the so-called "death spirals" affecting each.

I don't mind the name change, but the original intent was to make a comparison between troll folks on the right saying Obamacare is in a death spiral while folks on the left don't agree and see only issues that need fixing, but a solid foundation worth preserving, and the GOP, which a lot of conservatives find problems with currently, but feel like with some tweaks it can be a good thing again and serve people well.

I think the vote last night, where the GOP couldn't even rally its own membership around a compromise measure specifically geared towards getting only their members to do something supposedly only symbolic, failed.  They can't even succeed on major issues like this within their own party, on ideas that are the bare minimum of what they've all been agreeing on for the past 7 years - which is that Obamacare needs to be repealed and replaced with a republican solution that they'll put in place when elected.  

When will folks wake up, on the right, and realize that the party they have now IS NOT a party that suits their interests, nor is it one in touch with the modern era of information or needs.  The GOP, like Obamacare, at its heart has a lot of good stuff worth salvaging.  It's a necessary counterbalance to the crazy liberals, so long as we're a two party nation.  So for God's sake, start being honest about the GOP being in the same kind of death spiral as Obamacare and step up and work to fix BOTH.  

Perhaps ironically enough, we'll start to see this repair being done when and if the GOP ever starts working with the democrats on fixing problems at the core of Obamacare, thus starting to end the so-called "death spirals" affecting each.
New title is much better. :thumbup:

I don't mind the name change, but the original intent was to make a comparison between folks on the right saying Obamacare is in a death spiral while folks on the left don't agree and see only issues that need fixing, but a solid foundation worth preserving, and the GOP, which a lot of conservatives find problems with currently, but feel like with some tweaks it can be a good thing again and serve people well.

GOP will never win me back

Dedfin said:
Hey Joe,

Did you just ask for a safe space? 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
GOP will never win me back
I'm as anti-current-GOP as they come.  But with the right platform and the right person I could absolutely vote Republican.  

But there is no one in the party right now who embodies anything close to what it would take for me to do it.  They've lost their way and been coopted by the Fox News and Rush Limbaughs of the world, where the federal government is the enemy along with the mainstream media and science.  Drop all that nonsense, get back on board with science and have ANY appreciation for government funded social programs, regulation, and public education and we can start to talk.

I'm as anti-current-GOP as they come.  But with the right platform and the right person I could absolutely vote Republican.  

But there is no one in the party right now who embodies anything close to what it would take for me to do it.  They've lost their way and been coopted by the Fox News and Rush Limbaughs of the world, where the federal government is the enemy along with the mainstream media and science.  Drop all that nonsense, get back on board with science and have ANY appreciation for government funded social programs, regulation, and public education and we can start to talk.
I'd give Lisa Murkowski my undivided attention if she were to seek higher office and presented a slightly right of center message.

Governor John Kasich told Bill Maher that one of the former senators of Ohio that he looked up to (Robert Taft), a staunch conservative, once said "if somebody can't afford healthcare then the government should get it for them." 

How did "conservatives" go from that line of thinking to repeatedly voting to take away healthcare from 20+ million americans? 

I have business contacts on Facebook, some progressives, others staunch Trump supporters and I won't get into political disagreements on Facebook for fear I might offend someone. I like anonymity here.
I have a Facebook account that's me, and a twitter account that's anonymous.  For just that reason. 

Although I don't pull many punches on Facebook either. 

Haven't gotten into the Twitter thing and the limited characters just seems to make for a poor place for any considerable discussion 

Users who are viewing this thread