What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The second coming of Joe Cool. Is Burrow pulling a Namath? (1 Viewer)

I just heard Bart Scott ask Travis Kelce on the Bart and Hahn radio show this afternoon to resolve an argument between them. Scott, who played for the Ravens, said it was offensive to call Burrow "Joe Cool" while Joe Flacco was in the league, since that was Flacco's nickname. To which Hahn and Kelce both reacted with some sort of response like, where was Flacco called that, in your locker room? Hahn said his objection to it was because everyone knows Joe Montana is Joe Cool.

As for my post to which you responded, you seemed to miss the point, which was that you were associating Namath as Joe Cool, which is incorrect.

BTW, I'm not familiar with you so I don't know if this is schtick. If so, it isn't very good schtick.

If it's really that important to you, go argue with Terry Bradshaw, who was referring to Namath.

Can't believe this means that much to you.   :lmao:    And yes we realize Joe Burrough has "a long, long way to get there", my deepest apologies for uttering the "cool" word with someone that is not Montana.  And I speak for the legions of press who have done the same.  How dare they?  

Oh, speaking of the patent infringement, what about the original Joe Cool?  Pretty sure that Camel was old enough to smoke before Joe Montana stole his precious name.  So there!

Burrow, 25, has the chance to become the first football player to be drafted No. 1 overall and win a Heisman Trophy, a national title and a Super Bowl -- and he can do it all in a three-year span. He led the NFL in completion percentage (70.4%) and yards per attempt (8.9) this season, making him the youngest to do it in both categories in the same season. Plus, his 10% off-target percentage was the lowest in the NFL over the past five seasons. And after going 0-for-13 on passes thrown 30-plus yards downfield last season, Burrow has 13 such completions this season, including playoffs, and his seven TDs on those throws have him tied with Stafford for the most in the NFL. In all, Burrow threw for 4,611 yards, 34 touchdowns and 14 interceptions this season, his first full NFL campaign after tearing his ACL during his 2020 rookie season. -- ESPN

Even more impressive considering the learning curve involved (and the torn ACL in the mix).  If he wins tomorrow that will be an epic trajectory.

The phrase Too Much Time was invented when the Bengals scored too quick in the Super Bowl vs the 49ers. Everyone watching that game knew. 

Montana earned that name. Joe hasn't yet, and right now, it's really not close. 

Namath doesn't belong in the HOF. Go look at his numbers. 173 tds and 220 ints and 50.1% completion percentage. Yes, he had the reputation as Joe Cool / Broadway Joe, but he's only noted for that one game in NFL history, albeit a big one.
You're not incorrect. I remember the first time I looked at his numbers way back and thought how bad the NFL must have been in the 60s and 70s
Bob Griese threw 7 passes in the Super Bowl and Miami buried the football in Larry Csonka's forearm for several years.

Namath doesn't belong in the HOF. Go look at his numbers. 173 tds and 220 ints and 50.1% completion percentage. Yes, he had the reputation as Joe Cool / Broadway Joe, but he's only noted for that one game in NFL history, albeit a big one.
You're not incorrect. I remember the first time I looked at his numbers way back and thought how bad the NFL must have been in the 60s and 70s
Bob Griese threw 7 passes in the Super Bowl and Miami buried the football in Larry Csonka's forearm for several years.
I grew up in Ny NJ area and I can't stand Joe Namath talk. It's always a little misdirected or "off" and such a reach.
The only guy in history to wear panty hose and be called tough. Huh? Oh but still huh? He was keeping warm. I'm not tough for wearing a jacket.
His stats aren't impressive. It was during a run heavy era. Ok ok. He was the best ever. Woah what? The Jets haven't had a QB...that's just pathetic idk if that's a credit to him.
Elvis is in the building! Did you see the crowd light up when Joe was introduced. Umm I was there, they golf clapped him. Not one hoot. Not one holler.

The way he talks (and with that jacket) is like he's about ready to tell the host it's groovy or far out man.

It's just a weird combination of "you should've grown up" and the Jets should have had some better QBs.

Gastineau and Klecko were so fun. Giants win the Supe- bring out Joe Namath! Why? Klecko is a hall of famer. Giants win another Supe, bring out Joe Namath! Everyone adores Curtis Martin, he's one of the top backs, why not him? Oh there's the golf clap again.

The Jets went to that well way too often and it just got so weird

Users who are viewing this thread