What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Steelers probably can't afford another loss (1 Viewer)

We pretty much ended the day no worse off than we started the day.

I'm a little surprised by the hostility being shown to this thread, especially by some of the other Steeler fans. I never said anything negative about other teams. I started out by congratulating the Chiefs. I wasn't fishing for anyone. Basically, I was trying to cheer myself up, and other Steeler fans, after another disappointing loss. Sure we're not the best team in the league this year- so what? I can dream, can't I? And, so long as I don't put other teams down, I reserve the right to be as myopic as I want. It's me being myopic, and it doesn't affect anyone else.

We still have a decent chance to do some damage this year. Let's just correct the mistakes and keep moving forward!

"We"? I just love that they broke the hearts of so many people in survivor pools everywhere.
Yes, we. If you're a true fan of the team, there is nothing wrong with saying "we." I've always felt this was one of the stupidest criticisms I've ever heard. Who pays for the Steelers' salaries? Me and the millions of other fans who support them by watching them each week, paying for their product, paying for the games when we attend. My contribution to the pocketbooks of the Steelers has been substantial over the last 30 years. I get to say "we" and so does every other Steeler fan.
Do you say "we" if you own shares of a company as well?I own Intel stock. I wouldn't say 'We had to make a tough decision settling with AMD, but that 1.25 billion settlement will allow our company to move forward without this hanging in the background'
Rooting for a sports team is different from everything else. I have never heard a player or coach objecting to fans saying "we"- only other fans that seem to have some pet peeve about it. Get over it. You can bug me and tease me about it as much as you want, I will never stop saying "we" when it comes to the teams I root for.

tim is a :lmao: .this is rather standard spewage he does as a fake steeler fan.
How am I fishing exactly? I haven't written anything I don't honestly believe.We still have a chance to win the division. It will be tough, but we can do it.If we don't do it, we can get in as a wildcard, and do lots of damage.If we don't get in, we'll be back next year. GO STEELERS
The key to effective fishing is subtlety. Here is a fine example of how NOT to do it. The obvious overuse of we is about as subtle as hitting your #### with a sledgehammer. I would have thought you'd be better at this by now.

tim is a :rolleyes: .this is rather standard spewage he does as a fake steeler fan.
How am I fishing exactly? I haven't written anything I don't honestly believe.We still have a chance to win the division. It will be tough, but we can do it.If we don't do it, we can get in as a wildcard, and do lots of damage.If we don't get in, we'll be back next year. GO STEELERS
The key to effective fishing is subtlety. Here is a fine example of how NOT to do it. The obvious overuse of we is about as subtle as hitting your #### with a sledgehammer. I would have thought you'd be better at this by now.
Perhaps I'm no good at it because I'm not doing it.

timschochet said:
I'm a little surprised by the hostility being shown to this thread, especially by some of the other Steeler fans. I never said anything negative about other teams. I started out by congratulating the Chiefs. I wasn't fishing for anyone. Basically, I was trying to cheer myself up, and other Steeler fans, after another disappointing loss. Sure we're not the best team in the league this year- so what? I can dream, can't I? And, so long as I don't put other teams down, I reserve the right to be as myopic as I want. It's me being myopic, and it doesn't affect anyone else.
Then post it in the game thread or the official Steelers thread. But you never do. You start a new thread every time a random thought pops into your head and that is why so many people give you so much crap.

timschochet said:
Then post it in the game thread or the official Steelers thread. But you never do. You start a new thread every time a random thought pops into your head and that is why so many people give you so much crap.
I actually start a lot less threads than I used to. But again, so what? If people aren't interested in a thread, they needn't read it or participate.

The Steelers are not one of the best teams in football this year. The best teams in football are the Colts, Patriots, Saints and Vikings. Do you honestly believe the Chiefs beat any of those teams? Do you even think the Chiefs get within 10 points of any of those teams? The Steelers have some major problems in all 3 phases of the game. They'll likely make the playoffs because of a weak field. I know anything is possible once they make the playoffs but to call them one of the best teams in football RIGHT NOW after this kind of a loss is a joke.

The Steelers are not one of the best teams in football this year. The best teams in football are the Colts, Patriots, Saints and Vikings. Do you honestly believe the Chiefs beat any of those teams? Do you even think the Chiefs get within 10 points of any of those teams? The Steelers have some major problems in all 3 phases of the game. They'll likely make the playoffs because of a weak field. I know anything is possible once they make the playoffs but to call them one of the best teams in football RIGHT NOW after this kind of a loss is a joke.
Fred is one of the smartest and most grounded Pittsburgh fans on the internet. :lmao:

:goodposting:

Fred is one of the smartest and most grounded Pittsburgh fans on the internet. :own3d:
:goodposting:

It's not a joke, exactly, more like myopia and wishful thinking on my part.

It's not a joke, exactly, more like myopia and wishful thinking on my part.
Well you should have just said that in the title and you probably would have gotten a lot less criticism in this thread. Wishful thinking and reality are 2 very different things..........

Fred is one of the smartest and most grounded Pittsburgh fans on the internet. :thumbup:
I agree. Through the years, he's been very level headed in regards to his opinion of the Steelers. The same can be said for Treat88.

fantasysharkctb said:
If Big Ben is out for any extended period of time, I wouldn't count on anything.
Why? Batch has always been the better QB.
Seriously? How many Superbowls did the Steelers win with Batch as the starting QB again?
How many did Batch get a chance to start? Not saying BigBen sucks, just saying Batch really isn't a drop off and he has proven it when he has started.

timschochet said:
most of the anti-timochet vitriol is based on his politics/FFA posting imho.

fantasysharkctb said:
If Big Ben is out for any extended period of time, I wouldn't count on anything.
Why? Batch has always been the better QB.
Seriously? How many Superbowls did the Steelers win with Batch as the starting QB again?
How many did Batch get a chance to start? Not saying BigBen sucks, just saying Batch really isn't a drop off and he has proven it when he has started.
There is pretty much a consensus that Ben is a top 10 qb in the league. Many people consider him to be top 5. I don't think anyone in their right mind would have considered Batch to be in the top 5 at any point in his career. Batch isn't even in Ben's league. He never has been and he never will be. If Batch really isn't much of a drop off, why is he not starting for someone right now (considering how many bad qbs there are)?

treat88 said:
As a lifelong Steeler fan, and after being beaten by one of the 3 least talented rosters in the NFL, I am embarrassed that a thread like this exists.Sometimes, it is painfully obvious why so many dislike Steeler fans so much.Congrats to the KC Chiefs is about the only thing Steelers fans should be saying today.
:shrug: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Eh, they're gonna be all right. I don't see 'em any worse than 4-2 the rest of the way and 5-1 is more likely. They'll be in the middle of things in January -- though most likely they'll be doing it in someone else's stadium. But they've been down that road before, too.

Don't count on it. At this point they aren't playing well and the injuries are mounting. They'll likely lose this week to Baltimore dropping to 6-5. Then you have Oakland which suddnely looks like a tough game and then Cleveland who hung with Baltimore last week and Quinn is starting to look like a QB. Assuming those two are wins (BIG assumption) they're 8-5 with GB, Baltimore and Miami left to go. Best case scenario 10-6 which may not be good enough.

This season could easily turn very ugly for the Steelers and we're going to learn a lot about Mike Tomlin as a head coach in the coming weeks.

Eh, they're gonna be all right. I don't see 'em any worse than 4-2 the rest of the way and 5-1 is more likely. They'll be in the middle of things in January -- though most likely they'll be doing it in someone else's stadium. But they've been down that road before, too.
The only optimism I have as a Steeler fan is that this team historically plays well when their back is against the wall. They also play well when they're sort of flying under the radar. The problem is that I just don't think they're talented as the Colts and Patriots this year. This is not the same defense that dominated the league last year. They're just not able to close out games. Ben is playing ok but making a lot of mistakes at crucial times. If Ben doesn't make a mistake, sure enough a receiver or running back will. The special teams is an absolute joke. I thought they had fixed it last year but apparently that was an anomaly. As I said before, this team has major holes in all 3 phases of the game. If you haven't fixed it in 10 games, chances are that you're not going to fix it. Anyways, I'm not going to complain because the team has provided us 2 superbowls in 5 years. They get a free pass from me for at least another 3 years..................... :thumbup:

Don't count on it. At this point they aren't playing well and the injuries are mounting. They'll likely lose this week to Baltimore dropping to 6-5. Then you have Oakland which suddnely looks like a tough game and then Cleveland who hung with Baltimore last week and Quinn is starting to look like a QB. Assuming those two are wins (BIG assumption) they're 8-5 with GB, Baltimore and Miami left to go. Best case scenario 10-6 which may not be good enough.

This season could easily turn very ugly for the Steelers and we're going to learn a lot about Mike Tomlin as a head coach in the coming weeks.
The season COULD turn ugly but I don't think that will happen. I know they lost to the Chiefs but I don't think they'll lose to Oakland and they absolutely will not lose to Cleveland. Cleveland is on another dimension of suckiness right now than any other team in the league. I think the Steelers can split with Baltimore (a team that is struggling as much as the Steelers right now), beat Oakland (home game) and Cleveland. That leaves them with Green Bay and Miami. I think they should split those games. They'll end up 10-6 and I do believe that will be good enough for a wildcard. They have the tiebreaker over Denver and Jacksonville has a very touch schedule. If the Steelers win 4 games, I honestly don't see how they don't make the playoffs.

The season COULD turn ugly but I don't think that will happen. I know they lost to the Chiefs but I don't think they'll lose to Oakland and they absolutely will not lose to Cleveland. Cleveland is on another dimension of suckiness right now than any other team in the league. I think the Steelers can split with Baltimore (a team that is struggling as much as the Steelers right now), beat Oakland (home game) and Cleveland. That leaves them with Green Bay and Miami. I think they should split those games. They'll end up 10-6 and I do believe that will be good enough for a wildcard. They have the tiebreaker over Denver and Jacksonville has a very touch schedule. If the Steelers win 4 games, I honestly don't see how they don't make the playoffs.
On a completely random note, I think Oakland is a terrible team. I know that they've beaten 2 quality teams (Philly and Cincy) but I think it's primarily because of the travel from East to West coast. Philly and Cincy are both fairly young teams that probably were not well prepared to travel to the west coast and play a team like Oakland with any motivation at all. I really don't see how Oakland could beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. I hope Steelers fans aren't seriously worried about that game.

Nice reverse psychology there. The game next Sunday Night should be subtitled ***The Game to Determine Which Team Gets Their #### Back Together***Pittsburgh now NEEDS to win that game on the road. While they wouldn't be statistically eliminated, dropping three straight, I think, would put too much of a strain on this team that for whatever reason after the Denver game, seems just a little bit off.For Baltimore, if they don't beat Pittsburgh at home, they're pretty much done. Flacco's having a much rougher go in his sophmore outing and the defense just isn't as good. Still a good team, just not a great one.One will take a step forward...the other, a giant step back.

Nice reverse psychology there. The game next Sunday Night should be subtitled ***The Game to Determine Which Team Gets Their #### Back Together***Pittsburgh now NEEDS to win that game on the road. While they wouldn't be statistically eliminated, dropping three straight, I think, would put too much of a strain on this team that for whatever reason after the Denver game, seems just a little bit off.For Baltimore, if they don't beat Pittsburgh at home, they're pretty much done. Flacco's having a much rougher go in his sophmore outing and the defense just isn't as good. Still a good team, just not a great one.One will take a step forward...the other, a giant step back.
No mind games from me just because I'm a Baltimoron. I think it's pretty clear through 10 games that the Stillers are the better team, though once again the difference may be slight. In another thread I predicted a split this year and I still think the odds of that are pretty good -- but the next most likely scenario is probably a Pittsburgh sweep. The Ratbirds have yet to get over the hump this year against a quality opponent, unless you're counting Denver, which I don't but maybe should. They absolutely need to win 5 out of the last 6 to get in and that means a split with the 'Burgh and a difficult task at Lambeau. Bottom line -- even though these two teams are struggling, this week's game is once again crucial. Intensity level should be as high as always. But the Stillers should have the inside track to the playoffs even should they lose Sunday.

Dennis Dixon? No problem! We can still beat the Ravens, if the Steelers just believe in themselves. We can do this!

Dennis Dixon? No problem! We can still beat the Ravens, if the Steelers just believe in themselves. We can do this!
:rolleyes:
I'll say this for you. If the Steelers somehow don't get there, then I think your Chargers might. I've been watching their games for several weeks now, and they are looking as good as any team in the NFL. They may end up going deep. They may end up going all the way.

I changed the title of this thread.

Congrats to the Ravens fans. You earned a hard fought victory tonight, no excuses. The Steelers have a relatively easy schedule remaining. They can possibly afford to lose one more, though in the AFC I doubt it. They need to win the rest of their games. I think they can, and if they do, they will go into the playoffs with momentum and these last few weeks will be forgotten. But that's a long way off at the moment.

GO STEELERS!!!!

timschochet said:
I'll say this for you. If the Steelers somehow don't get there, then I think your Chargers might. I've been watching their games for several weeks now, and they are looking as good as any team in the NFL. They may end up going deep. They may end up going all the way.
Norv Turner.
I changed the title of this thread.Congrats to the Ravens fans. You earned a hard fought victory tonight, no excuses. The Steelers have a relatively easy schedule remaining. They can possibly afford to lose one more, though in the AFC I doubt it. They need to win the rest of their games. I think they can, and if they do, they will go into the playoffs with momentum and these last few weeks will be forgotten. But that's a long way off at the moment. GO STEELERS!!!!
10-6 will make it in the AFC, and I still think the Steelers will get there. I think Baltimore is looking at 9-7, and the Titans are not gonna run the table. 10-6 will make it, and right now, the Broncos and Steelers schedules are both set up for them to get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't count on it. At this point they aren't playing well and the injuries are mounting. They'll likely lose this week to Baltimore dropping to 6-5. Then you have Oakland which suddnely looks like a tough game and then Cleveland who hung with Baltimore last week and Quinn is starting to look like a QB. Assuming those two are wins (BIG assumption) they're 8-5 with GB, Baltimore and Miami left to go. Best case scenario 10-6 which may not be good enough.This season could easily turn very ugly for the Steelers and we're going to learn a lot about Mike Tomlin as a head coach in the coming weeks.
:goodposting: That's about the way I see it...10-6, and probably miss the playoffs.My forecast:IND 14-2NE 13-3CIN 12-4SD 11-5DEN 10-6Ravens and Jags (who are just awful) both have 5 losses; Titans are rolling, 10-6 is crazy but I'm pulling for them for sure. Jets and Dolphins are inconsistent. Can't believe the Texans are 5-6, they're just a much better team than that.Gonna be a squeeker getting in...and I see the Stillers going one and done if they do. Just not doing the little things this year. Special teams is awful! Running game isn't good enough. Not a bad team by any means, but not what I or most of their fans expected.

Don't count on it. At this point they aren't playing well and the injuries are mounting. They'll likely lose this week to Baltimore dropping to 6-5. Then you have Oakland which suddnely looks like a tough game and then Cleveland who hung with Baltimore last week and Quinn is starting to look like a QB. Assuming those two are wins (BIG assumption) they're 8-5 with GB, Baltimore and Miami left to go. Best case scenario 10-6 which may not be good enough.This season could easily turn very ugly for the Steelers and we're going to learn a lot about Mike Tomlin as a head coach in the coming weeks.
:mellow: That's about the way I see it...10-6, and probably miss the playoffs.My forecast:IND 14-2NE 13-3CIN 12-4SD 11-5DEN 10-6Ravens and Jags (who are just awful) both have 5 losses; Titans are rolling, 10-6 is crazy but I'm pulling for them for sure. Jets and Dolphins are inconsistent. Can't believe the Texans are 5-6, they're just a much better team than that.Gonna be a squeeker getting in...and I see the Stillers going one and done if they do. Just not doing the little things this year. Special teams is awful! Running game isn't good enough. Not a bad team by any means, but not what I or most of their fans expected.
In this scenario, the Steelers would make it over Denver due to their head to head win unless another 10-6 team beats them out.

Thansk gb, wasn't sure who had which tiebreakers.

As a #5 or #6 seed (e.g., prolly playing CIN, NE or SD on the road), how do like their chances?

:boxing: That's about the way I see it...10-6, and probably miss the playoffs.My forecast:IND 14-2NE 13-3CIN 12-4SD 11-5DEN 10-6Ravens and Jags (who are just awful) both have 5 losses; Titans are rolling, 10-6 is crazy but I'm pulling for them for sure. Jets and Dolphins are inconsistent. Can't believe the Texans are 5-6, they're just a much better team than that.Gonna be a squeeker getting in...and I see the Stillers going one and done if they do. Just not doing the little things this year. Special teams is awful! Running game isn't good enough. Not a bad team by any means, but not what I or most of their fans expected.
I think the running game might be good enough. The problem is that with Arians we may never know.

Gonna be a squeeker getting in...and I see the Stillers going one and done if they do.
Not necessarily. If the Steelers get in, they likely will be on a roll having done so, and playing much better than they are now. Hopefully Roethlisberger and a healthy Polamalu- we'll see. However, I don't want to have to play at San Diego. The way they are playing, that would be tough. I would much rather play at Cincinnati- I still think the Steelers are better than that team, and we owe them.

If the Steelers can beat the Bengals, then it's at New England or at Indy. Both are tough propositions, but the Steelers have the benefit of having been there, done that.

ETA- Before some eager Pats fan corrects me, when I wrote "Been there, done that, I mean that the Steelers have won on the road in the playoffs. Yes, I know they have not beaten New England.

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool: That's about the way I see it...10-6, and probably miss the playoffs.My forecast:IND 14-2NE 13-3CIN 12-4SD 11-5DEN 10-6Ravens and Jags (who are just awful) both have 5 losses; Titans are rolling, 10-6 is crazy but I'm pulling for them for sure. Jets and Dolphins are inconsistent. Can't believe the Texans are 5-6, they're just a much better team than that.Gonna be a squeeker getting in...and I see the Stillers going one and done if they do. Just not doing the little things this year. Special teams is awful! Running game isn't good enough. Not a bad team by any means, but not what I or most of their fans expected.
I think the running game might be good enough. The problem is that with Arians we may never know.
LaBeau and Ligashesky have been far larger problems than Arians this season.The offense has repeatedly put the defense in position to close out leads and they have failed to do it.ST has been historically horrific.Arians isn't my favorite, but he is low on the list of problems the 09 Steelers have had to deal with.

My guess is that the week 16 rematch determines which team gets in and which doesn't. The Broncos could stumble to allow them both to get in, but I don't see that happening. The week 16 winner likely ends up at 10-6.

Didn't watch the game tonight but losing in OT at Baltimore with Donna Dixon at the helm, I think that is pretty respectable. A loss is a loss, but there is probably no reason they can't go 4-1 down the stretch. Three of their last five at home with a road game to Cleveland in there. Might come down to winning in Miami but I can see them going 4-1 and getting in.

If both the Ravens and Steelers end up 10-6 and split H2H, who wins the tie-breaker?
If somehow that 1 Steelers loss is to Cleveland, then the Ravens would have the tie-breaker.Otherwise it goes to common games. Working backwards, the 2 uncommon games are:For Pittsburgh: Tennessee (which they won, which is bad for "common" games record) and Miami who they haven't played yet.For Baltimore: Indianapolis (which they lost) and New England (Which they also lost).Ergo, if both teams are 10-6, the Ravens will be 10-4 in Common Games, and the Steelers will be no better than 9-5 in common games.Put simply: Baltimore has the tiebreaker no matter what now.-QG

Users who are viewing this thread