What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (1 Viewer)

i dob't have much confidence in bradshaw really. the injury spooks me somehow. is herron really the play here then? they'll grind away with combo featuring trent and ahmad for a bit but is it realistic to think herron gets real, meaningful carries at some point?
I think Herron's play is going to demand it. He's a no nonsense, hit the hole type of runner.
Herron is where my money is. I'm not expecting much but he's better Richardson and doesn't have Bradshaw's health problem. Dark horse is Tipton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have TRIch and Bradshaw on both of my dynasty teams. Just put Herron on my watch list. Gonna have a hair trigger early in the season.

I ended up drafting him in two of my leauges as depth :doh:

Wont need him till bye weeks/injury...so im not too concerned

6th Round

Kool-Aid Larry said:
who did you draft to fill in for richardson when he gets benched?
I try not to think too far ahead in fantasy football....without fail, every year you can look back 6 weeks into the season and see none of us knew what we were talking about.

So who knows what will happen

He didn't even get drafted in my shark league.
You may want to reconsider what constitutes a "shark" league.
Unless he was referring to Herron (since his post directly followed one referencing him), I agree. Even the most ardent Richardson detractors would be willing to risk a late round pick on him. He is a starting RB, as of now, and I'd say the odds are at least even that he holds the job since his "issues" are coachable and he has shown ability as a pass blocker and receiver at least.

Correct me if I am wrong but he is still a starting RB with little proven depth behind him, right?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd venture that Bradshaw has proven a hell of a lot more at the NFL level than Richardson has.That said, even as down on Richardson as I am, if he's there in the late 8th/9th round I don 't even think twice about rolling the dice on him.

Correct me if I am wrong but he is still a starting RB with little proven depth behind him, right?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd venture that Bradshaw has proven a hell of a lot more at the NFL level than Richardson has..
I think the concern is that if a strong wind kicks up, chunks of Bradshaw might start falling off. Just a guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd venture that Bradshaw has proven a hell of a lot more at the NFL level than Richardson has.
What does that have to do with the little depth behind him? Correct me if I am wrong, but having one guy who is an injury risk is little depth last I checked.

Bradshaw is an injury risk and who else? no namers. Just because some has hype for guys like Herron, does not mean he is proven depth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd venture that Bradshaw has proven a hell of a lot more at the NFL level than Richardson has..
I think the concern is that if a strong wind kicks up, chunks of Bradshaw might start falling off. Just a guess.
That's a different - and credible - argument.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd venture that Bradshaw has proven a hell of a lot more at the NFL level than Richardson has.
What does that have to do with the little depth behind him? Correct me if I am wrong, but having one guy who is an injury risk is little depth last I checked.

Bradshaw is an injury risk and who else? no namers. Just because some has hype for guys like Herron, does not mean he is proven depth.
Because if Bradshaw is healthy he's a better RB in almost every aspect of the position. He's proven that through actual performance. Not sure why you want to argue that

The depth won't matter if he plays as poorly as he did last year.

That's a different - and credible - argument.
LOL, its the same thing I said,

Because if Bradshaw is healthy he's a better RB in almost every aspect of the position. He's proven that through actual performance. Not sure why you want to argue that
Not sure what part of "little proven depth" that is clearly typed out above that you cant gather. My point was clear, not sure why you are arguing that at all. Did you read what you want or something?

What does last year have to do with this year?

Look, I am not the guys biggest fan, but worrying about last year is a mistake for this year. Can he suck? sure and he probably will, but when trying to discuss value the rhetoric of he sucks, he will be benched soon, other players who are not even guaranteed a roster spot yet are sure to get more points by week 8 gets old.

Nothing of value comes from that.

People knock players to lower their value, but can his value get any lower? To the bitter owners from last year, we get the point.

No namers?? Looool

Dude, this is football - not gettin' in a vip room at the club.

Off brand destroys richardson

No namers?? Looool

Dude, this is football - not gettin' in a vip room at the club.

Off brand destroys richardson
So Herron is better than Richardson? Never played a meaningful snap in a n NFL game, but just because you dislike Richardson he is better?

Some also take things so literal around here, while Herron can be good one day, right now he is a no namer in redrafts. He just is, deal with it.

This isnt a dynasty discussion.

Like I said, bitter owners last year.

What does last year have to do with this year?

Look, I am not the guys biggest fan, but worrying about last year is a mistake for this year. Can he suck? sure and he probably will, but when trying to discuss value the rhetoric of he sucks, he will be benched soon, other players who are not even guaranteed a roster spot yet are sure to get more points by week 8 gets old.

Nothing of value comes from that.

People knock players to lower their value, but can his value get any lower? To the bitter owners from last year, we get the point.
Maybe try decaf. All I said was, if he plays as poorly as he did last season, the depth won't matter- they'll pick up a guy off the street and play him if they have to.

Note: I didn't say that he is going to play that poorly, just making a point that the depth won't mean anything if he does. If he plays well, he'll play a lot. If he doesn't, he won't.

Based on current ability to execute the running of the football, I'd take about 50 backs before I'd touch Richardson.

I wish the Colts would have paid D. Brown. I want Bradshaw to split 50/50. If he outplays TRich then give him the job. If he gets hurt, give Herron the job. As a Colts fan, I give Richardson 3 games this season to prove his worth. After that, grab a gatorade caddy!

Studs:

Dan “Boom” Herron: Herron is all but a lock for the backup running back spot. What makes his situation even more favorable is that Trent Richardson and Ahmad Bradshaw have been virtually useless in the preseason so far. Let this sink in: Herron’s 68 rushing yards on Saturday night were more than Trent Richardson’s entire preseason. Herron might be just the type of running back that the Colts offense needs; he can make gigantic contributions in the passing game while also being a talented runner. He reminds me of Donald Brown in his style of play, but a tad more durable than Brown in his injury-plagued Colts career. Of course, Richardson will still get the bulk of the carries near the beginning of the season, but Boom is an insurance option that the Colts have been looking for since Vick Ballard went down.

So Herron is better than Richardson? Never played a meaningful snap in a n NFL game, but just because you dislike Richardson he is better?

Some also take things so literal around here, while Herron can be good one day, right now he is a no namer in redrafts. He just is, deal with it.

This isnt a dynasty discussion.

Like I said, bitter owners last year.
Yes, but keep in mind I think most of the RB's in the league are better than Richardson.

I finally decided to get rid of the whole Indy backfield. I believe there is a small chance that one RB, possibly Richardson, will emerge as the bell cow as the season goes on. But those odds seem to be dwindling and I want no parts of it. Even if it does happen, I wouldn't trust that RB as anything more than my RB3 at best. Once I got a fair offer I jumped on it.

A few things, other than how awful Richardson looks, helped make my decision.

1) There is a very real possibility that Richardson, Bradshaw and Herron all split carries and there is no clarity on who to start each week.

2) Despite the "run heavy" tag that the offense gets, they were ranked 23rd in rushing attempts last year with only 409 attempts. 65 of which were from QB. I don't see any reason why they would increase that number.

3) Indy RB/FB had less than 100 targets combined last year and much less the year before. Not sure there is any reason for this number to increase either.

So even if one does get the majority of the RB load, the ceiling seems capped pretty low based on opportunity. I don't think any of them are special enough to translate such opportunities into great fantasy numbers. If you only go after one Indy back, I would go after Herron. He is the only one who might give you a decent profit margin based on his price.

jmo87usc said:
So even if one does get the majority of the RB load, the ceiling seems capped pretty low based on opportunity. I don't think any of them are special enough to translate such opportunities into great fantasy numbers. If you only go after one Indy back, I would go after Herron. He is the only one who might give you a decent profit margin based on his price.
i kind of agree with you here. Based on what Richardson has shown thusfar, there is very little reason to be optimistic about hs production. Bradshaw is an injury risk. Herron has shown more but he's going to play behind those two. I don't see them throwing in the towel on Richardson anytime soon but Herron can earn more opportunities with good play.

He's muscular and seems in good shape but my initial thought when the game started was he looks too big. Could probably stand to lose 20 lbs.
Yea, watching the last game, I was surprised by how big he looked. Almost like a little LB.

He has always carried a lot of weight for his height and it didn't prevent him from running fast, but if he could shed some pounds and improve his burst to the hole then I think that would help him. He still has the same lateral quickness, balance, and power that he had at Bama. Things move quickly in the NFL though and I think being late to the hole at all can be a death sentence. In his case, there haven't really been many holes to be late to, which is a huge part of the problem.

I'm not exactly sure as to what the question was that Pagano was answering but..

"I don't look at it that way," Pagano said. "I just know Boom has had a really good camp and a good preseason. He's made some nice runs. It's comforting knowing that you have a guy that not only excels on special teams, but you've got another guy in the backfield that can run and get yards for you when you need them."
He also said this earlier in the month..

"Boom's been practicing really well. He's had a great camp until this first preseason game so I'm not surprised at all that he played the way that he played," head coach Chuck Pagano told the team's official site. "We always talk about you play like you practice, and he's been doing great. He's been having a great camp and you could see the results tonight in what he did on the football field."
In my deeper 20-28 rounds redrafts I have no problem targeting Daniel "Boom" Herron.

I'm not exactly sure as to what the question was that Pagano was answering but..

"I don't look at it that way," Pagano said. "I just know Boom has had a really good camp and a good preseason. He's made some nice runs. It's comforting knowing that you have a guy that not only excels on special teams, but you've got another guy in the backfield that can run and get yards for you when you need them."
He also said this earlier in the month..

"Boom's been practicing really well. He's had a great camp until this first preseason game so I'm not surprised at all that he played the way that he played," head coach Chuck Pagano told the team's official site. "We always talk about you play like you practice, and he's been doing great. He's been having a great camp and you could see the results tonight in what he did on the football field."
In my deeper 20-28 rounds redrafts I have no problem targeting Daniel "Boom" Herron.
It's from this article...

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/7167/pagano-on-run-game-a-work-in-progress

Herron is where my money is. I'm not expecting much but he's better Richardson
As they say, "The backup quarterback is always the most popular player on the team."

I think any time you have a starter who's struggling, people are quick to assume that the backup could do better. Thing is, if the backup were actually better then he probably wouldn't be the backup. He'd be the one starting. It reminds me a lot of the annual "X Jets RB is going to overtake Shonn Greene" discussions that we'd get on these boards. People around here have hated Greene for a while, but just because Greene is mediocre doesn't mean that Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight were any better (and Bishop Sankey now). Even being a mediocre starter is a high level that most players can't reach. That's why guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Carson Palmer, and Alex Smith continue to stumble into starting jobs. If there was anyone better than those guys, those guys wouldn't be starters.

Herron was a 6th round pick who failed to make an impact in a mediocre Bengals backfield that only featured BJGE and Bernard Scott at the time. In fact, he didn't even make the initial 53 man roster. He was signed in the middle of the season last year. Why was he available on the scrap heap? Because nobody else wanted him. He was a practice squad player. You don't have to believe that Trent Richardson is great to think he's better than Dan Herron. Therein lies the problem. Even if I bought the idea that Trent Richardson has performed horribly this preseason (which I don't), I'd still have to buy the idea that Herron is capable of doing better (which I don't).

Herron is where my money is. I'm not expecting much but he's better Richardson
Thats fair enough. Richardson is more talented than Herron in theory. Sure. But they don't cost the same to acquire (for NFL teams or FF). And you assume that the NFL is at least a very accurate market. Which we know isn't exactly true or you wouldn't have 1st round busts or UDFAs who turn into studs. If the cost of acquisition was equal I'd want Richardson. But it isn't. And he hasn't even played as well as less thought of backs like Donald Brown. In the same system. Behind the same line.

I think a lot of the frustration in this thread is people who take the draft position and talent and then fail to incorporate more recent (and more relevant) information into account. Like actual NFL play. He looks bad. His numbers are bad. He looked great in college. He was talented and a sure thing. Until he isn't at this level.

Users who are viewing this thread