What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***The Walking Dead Comic book version*** (2 Viewers)

I just finished reading through the Prison arc.

Wow...

If the show keeps on the same pace it has, that arc will take us through Season 12.
They found it in #12 and left it in #48 so it's more than a third of the books. They could easily spend two seasons there and can cut out quite a bit. I like that the show is diverging from the comics so more stuff will come as a surprise.
Not after Sunday.
We're getting Michonne, the prison and the Governor but from reading what Glen Mazzara has said about season 3 it seems to be quite a bit different.

'cstu said:
How do I read these on my iPad?
Go to the links and download them onto your computer. Mine showed up in the temporary folder and I just cut and paste them to a regular folder in my documents.I have downloaded a program called Calibre. Open each book in calibre and reformat it to a epub book (its not called reformat but I cant think of what it is called right now- maybe convert individually and bulk convert not that Im thinking about it)Once all the books are in Calibre, have calibre connect to itunes (must go thru Calibre). Add all the books to your library. The books will transfer to itunes. Plug your ipad in and swipe over all the books into your ipad. It takes 10 minutes. I put books 21-40 on my ipad before work this morning
Jesus, a lot of work compared to Android.
I did not have to do any of that. I just downloaded them and put them right on my iPad via itunes and read them using the sweet app ComicZeal. These files are already in comic book form as cbr/cbz files. There are apps (like ComicZeal) that want cbr/cbz files. No reformatting or converting needed. They read as perfect comic books on the iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
'cstu said:
Go to the links and download them onto your computer. Mine showed up in the temporary folder and I just cut and paste them to a regular folder in my documents.I have downloaded a program called Calibre. Open each book in calibre and reformat it to a epub book (its not called reformat but I cant think of what it is called right now- maybe convert individually and bulk convert not that Im thinking about it)Once all the books are in Calibre, have calibre connect to itunes (must go thru Calibre). Add all the books to your library. The books will transfer to itunes. Plug your ipad in and swipe over all the books into your ipad. It takes 10 minutes. I put books 21-40 on my ipad before work this morning
Bit of work but since I'm cheap and not paying $4.99 for a reader it worked great, thanks for the help. My next mountain is trying to put this on an iPhone in a readable format. Damn comics are tiny on an iPhone screen. Not sure that is the preferred media for reading these anyhow.

'cstu said:
That is how the links came off my computer from post 1. If the files were already in an epub format when I unzipped it, it would have not taken so many steps.

'cstu said:
Bit of work but since I'm cheap and not paying $4.99 for a reader it worked great, thanks for the help. My next mountain is trying to put this on an iPhone in a readable format. Damn comics are tiny on an iPhone screen. Not sure that is the preferred media for reading these anyhow.
The app ComicBookLover is free and can read the cbr/cbz files without the need for conversion of Calibre.

'cstu said:
That is how the links came off my computer from post 1. If the files were already in an epub format when I unzipped it, it would have not taken so many steps.
In case people are wondering what cbr/cbz files are, they are specific to comic books and do not need conversion. There are many apps, paid and free that are designed for themhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file

'cstu said:
I did not have to do any of that. I just downloaded them and put them right on my iPad via itunes and read them using the sweet app ComicZeal. These files are already in comic book form as cbr/cbz files. There are apps (like ComicZeal) that want cbr/cbz files. No reformatting or converting needed. They read as perfect comic books on the iPad.
I did it this way, too. MUCH easier than earlier described.

Sorry for confusing anyone. Didn't know about any other way. However, I think mine was a .rar file. I'll need to recheck. Don't remember it being cbr

Sorry for confusing anyone. Didn't know about any other way. However, I think mine was a .rar file. I'll need to recheck. Don't remember it being cbr
Think of a .rar it as a container that compresses and groups multiple individual files at once. http://www.rarlab.com/rar_file.htmOnce you upzip the .rar file, using the windows program winzip, you will see the individual .cbr and cbz files.

'cstu said:
What app are you using on the ipad? I can strongly recommend ComicZeal if you have not tried it. The organizational tools are excellent as is the reader itself.

Have they announced who will be playing the governor?

I would imagine he will be introduced late in season three, setting up a great cliffhanger for Season 4.

There's enough to do in the prison to take up much of next season.

'cstu said:
What app are you using on the ipad? I can strongly recommend ComicZeal if you have not tried it. The organizational tools are excellent as is the reader itself.
Same one. It's great.

'jamny said:
Have they announced who will be playing the governor?

I would imagine he will be introduced late in season three, setting up a great cliffhanger for Season 4.

There's enough to do in the prison to take up much of next season.
My link

I was kinda hoping for a Danny Trejo type.
He would have been a good choice, fo sho.
Too cartoonish. They're trying to show how the apocalypse turns even normal people into sick ####s.
I can see that angle. He just looks the part from the comic books, is all.
No normal person is going to get that twisted in such a short time. To create the environment he does right off the bat would require a sinister, violent and manipulative person. Gang leader, head of a militia, military leader, etc. A tough guy. This guy looks normal...we'll see.

Too cartoonish. They're trying to show how the apocalypse turns even normal people into sick ####s.
No normal person is going to get that twisted in such a short time. To create the environment he does right off the bat would require a sinister, violent and manipulative person. Gang leader, head of a militia, military leader, etc. A tough guy. This guy looks normal...we'll see.
Hitler wasn't a tough guy and manipulated an entire country into doing some twisted ####. I think you underestimate how many 'normal' people are only that way because of the limits society puts on them.

Hitler wasn't a tough guy and manipulated an entire country into doing some twisted ####. I think you underestimate how many 'normal' people are only that way because of the limits society puts on them.
yeah but it wasn't in a matter of days, weeks or months. To set up the facility he has and convince all those people seems like something that was created almost immediately after the outbreak. That would take an extremely forceful and authoritative figure. Not some regular guy.

yeah but it wasn't in a matter of days, weeks or months.
Does anyone have a rough timeline of the comics? It would be interesting to see how much time has passed through out the books and various arcs. I have the Survivors Guide but I can't read it until after issue 84 for fear of spoilers. It looks pretty cool though but don't know if it contains a chronology of the series. For those who like to have a complete collection I would recommend downloading this.

Also, there is a short 6 page comic called Michonne's story which tells her backstory that is worth a download.

yeah but it wasn't in a matter of days, weeks or months.
Does anyone have a rough timeline of the comics? It would be interesting to see how much time has passed through out the books and various arcs.
From issue #1 to #90, it's about a year and a half.

I have downloaded Calibre. I have unzipped the files and added them to Calibre. I can see the covers of the comics, but when I try to view them, I get a windows system error telling me the file type is not supported.

What am I doing wrong?

The comics are definitely a lot more raw than the show. I absolutely flew through the comics in the past couple of days. My original plan was to not read much further than I could be spoiled, and I stopped after getting through #13 originally, but found myself home instead of out of town this weekend. I started reading at #14 and finished #94 today.

I think I still like the show better. There's a lot more in the way of production value, and the second half of last season was great. Still, it's going to be impossible to cover everything from the comics on the show. Still, I loved the comics too. I get what people are saying about them being two totally different things now, but the show does do a great job of incorporating different aspects of the comics even if it doesn't do them specifically laid out in the comics.

I am a little worried about the Govenor and Michone already being cast. The prison seemed like a stall point, kind of like the stall point at Hershel's farm in the show, but I'm afraid we might move a little too quickly next season. Then again, they might also skip over a lot of the day to day stuff and fast forward to clearing out the different cell blocks, moving along the rest of the story with brief conversations about the mundane activities they've taken on inside the prison. I probably need to go read some of Mazarra's hints about the upcoming season now that I've ventured down the rabbit hole.

The comics are definitely a lot more raw than the show. I absolutely flew through the comics in the past couple of days. My original plan was to not read much further than I could be spoiled, and I stopped after getting through #13 originally, but found myself home instead of out of town this weekend. I started reading at #14 and finished #94 today.I think I still like the show better. There's a lot more in the way of production value, and the second half of last season was great. Still, it's going to be impossible to cover everything from the comics on the show. Still, I loved the comics too. I get what people are saying about them being two totally different things now, but the show does do a great job of incorporating different aspects of the comics even if it doesn't do them specifically laid out in the comics.I am a little worried about the Govenor and Michone already being cast. The prison seemed like a stall point, kind of like the stall point at Hershel's farm in the show, but I'm afraid we might move a little too quickly next season. Then again, they might also skip over a lot of the day to day stuff and fast forward to clearing out the different cell blocks, moving along the rest of the story with brief conversations about the mundane activities they've taken on inside the prison. I probably need to go read some of Mazarra's hints about the upcoming season now that I've ventured down the rabbit hole.
Since there's no Tyreese they don't have to go into the stuff with his daughter and him going nuts over it. They think they may also skip the Thomas storyline and the lesbian stuff. I'm expecting Merle to be at the prison so that's going open up an entirely different storyline and they should also meet the Governor much sooner than in the comics. Pure speculation but I can see Merle taking the place of Dexter's character.

I liked the wink to the show in #91 (which came out a few days before "Pretty Much Dead Already") where Sophia says "nothing bad ever happens to me".

http://www.polvoestelar.com.mx/babilonia/Comics%20y%20Manga/Walking%20Dead,%20The/Here is a link for issues 1-95 in PDF form someone posted in the TV thread.These look great on my ipad2
I linked that there. #92 is missing, and #91 would not load for me. Sometime in the middle and probably in the 50's, the size of the individual pages were off for me. Odd pages would be small and even pages would be larger (or vice versa). Anyway, that's how I read everything up to #91, which I used the link in the OP of this thread.That site has also been down recently. It's easier, but I just thought I'd point out some possible flaws.

The comics are definitely a lot more raw than the show. I absolutely flew through the comics in the past couple of days. My original plan was to not read much further than I could be spoiled, and I stopped after getting through #13 originally, but found myself home instead of out of town this weekend. I started reading at #14 and finished #94 today.I think I still like the show better. There's a lot more in the way of production value, and the second half of last season was great. Still, it's going to be impossible to cover everything from the comics on the show. Still, I loved the comics too. I get what people are saying about them being two totally different things now, but the show does do a great job of incorporating different aspects of the comics even if it doesn't do them specifically laid out in the comics.I am a little worried about the Govenor and Michone already being cast. The prison seemed like a stall point, kind of like the stall point at Hershel's farm in the show, but I'm afraid we might move a little too quickly next season. Then again, they might also skip over a lot of the day to day stuff and fast forward to clearing out the different cell blocks, moving along the rest of the story with brief conversations about the mundane activities they've taken on inside the prison. I probably need to go read some of Mazarra's hints about the upcoming season now that I've ventured down the rabbit hole.
Since there's no Tyreese they don't have to go into the stuff with his daughter and him going nuts over it. They think they may also skip the Thomas storyline and the lesbian stuff. I'm expecting Merle to be at the prison so that's going open up an entirely different storyline and they should also meet the Governor much sooner than in the comics. Pure speculation but I can see Merle taking the place of Dexter's character.
Why do people expect Merle to be back? He is missing a hand, and that's a head ache going forward for production. I'm guessing the only way we see Merle again is in the pit for a fight, where he dies... or maybe he's the one who gets killed by another fighter for knocking out his teeth (or something else). I highly doubt Rick gets his hand cut off, the Govenor loses an arm, or that the show ever tackles the idea of cutting off a limb to save someone from turning. Those seem like logistical nightmares from a TV show perspective. They are running on a budget, and it would suck to have a part of that budget always tied into making someone's appendage disappear from scenes.If I were going to write Merle back into this, I'd have Daryl be part of the group to find the Govenor where he watched Merle die. That would be a more gripping way to mutilate the Govenor than what I'm guessing they'd be allowed to see from the comics as they built up the Michone and Govenor dynamic.Is there some reason I don't know of which makes people expect Merle to return? Characters don't always have to re-find each other. Even in the comics, the Govenor only played a minor role in the grand scheme.I think Darabont sucked, but his plodding pace did lead to an awesome mid-season finale. If the lead up to finding Sophia in the barn only took a couple of episodes, it wouldn't have had the same impact. Since then, the show has been absurdly impressive. Naturally, I didn't read the comics from the start, but while the show hasn't developed Carl the same way to this point, it did a much better job of making Shane's death important. Dale went early, but considering there is no relationship with Andrea and the only kid in the group is Carl, Dale was pretty useless as a character anyway. They've developed Hershel much more in the TV show to this point, and he can carry both, similar roles on his own. There's no Tyrese, however. I can't believe that character has not been rumored to have been cast yet... or has it? T-Dogg ain't it. Also, while I doubt we will ever see Carl killing another child, or the mutilation of another child, I think the show writers did a good job of working in that dynamic with the Sophia angle. In retrospect, that seems like the perfect way to start working in that aspect of the comics.I feel like I'm rambling, so I'll stop. My only real question is: Why do people think Merle, a character we never even saw in the comics, is coming back?

Why do people expect Merle to be back? He is missing a hand, and that's a head ache going forward for production. I'm guessing the only way we see Merle again is in the pit for a fight, where he dies... or maybe he's the one who gets killed by another fighter for knocking out his teeth (or something else). I highly doubt Rick gets his hand cut off, the Govenor loses an arm, or that the show ever tackles the idea of cutting off a limb to save someone from turning. Those seem like logistical nightmares from a TV show perspective. They are running on a budget, and it would suck to have a part of that budget always tied into making someone's appendage disappear from scenes.If I were going to write Merle back into this, I'd have Daryl be part of the group to find the Govenor where he watched Merle die. That would be a more gripping way to mutilate the Govenor than what I'm guessing they'd be allowed to see from the comics as they built up the Michone and Govenor dynamic.Is there some reason I don't know of which makes people expect Merle to return? Characters don't always have to re-find each other. Even in the comics, the Govenor only played a minor role in the grand scheme.I think Darabont sucked, but his plodding pace did lead to an awesome mid-season finale. If the lead up to finding Sophia in the barn only took a couple of episodes, it wouldn't have had the same impact. Since then, the show has been absurdly impressive. Naturally, I didn't read the comics from the start, but while the show hasn't developed Carl the same way to this point, it did a much better job of making Shane's death important. Dale went early, but considering there is no relationship with Andrea and the only kid in the group is Carl, Dale was pretty useless as a character anyway. They've developed Hershel much more in the TV show to this point, and he can carry both, similar roles on his own. There's no Tyrese, however. I can't believe that character has not been rumored to have been cast yet... or has it? T-Dogg ain't it. Also, while I doubt we will ever see Carl killing another child, or the mutilation of another child, I think the show writers did a good job of working in that dynamic with the Sophia angle. In retrospect, that seems like the perfect way to start working in that aspect of the comics.I feel like I'm rambling, so I'll stop. My only real question is: Why do people think Merle, a character we never even saw in the comics, is coming back?
Daryl is taking the role of Tyrese in regards to the Carol relationship. Now, you prolly won't see Daryl leave Carol for Michonne. Nor do I think you'll see Carol kill herself.As far as Meryl goes....I think they don't put the dream in that Daryl had of him for nothing....particularly what he was saying....so to me, I think that Meryl has become of the Governor's henchmen....and you'll see Daryl beheaded outside the prison by him (for being soft, for choosing the group over his brother etc. etc.).

http://www.polvoeste...%20Dead,%20The/

Here is a link for issues 1-95 in PDF form someone posted in the TV thread.These look great on my ipad2
I linked that there. #92 is missing, and #91 would not load for me. Sometime in the middle and probably in the 50's, the size of the individual pages were off for me. Odd pages would be small and even pages would be larger (or vice versa). Anyway, that's how I read everything up to #91, which I used the link in the OP of this thread.That site has also been down recently. It's easier, but I just thought I'd point out some possible flaws.
Thanks for the info

Why do people expect Merle to be back?
It's already confirmed.
I assumed there had to be something. Much like Rick's interaction with the Govenor, I assume some aspects of the comics won't be continued in the TV show. Still, I find it hard to believe Merle's role will last very long going forward. Hiding a cut off hand isn't that big of a deal for special effects, but I doubt it's something production will deal with continuously going forward... in Merle's role or especially with Rick's.I could be wrong, but there's no doubt in my mind they ever take it to the point the comics did with Dale or with the Govenor. I guess they could hide the Govenor's arm pretty well, but I think they could still cover his mutilation without covering it fully.

Users who are viewing this thread