What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

There is NO QUESTION in my mind... (1 Viewer)

The Scientist said:
RAIDERNATION said:
The Scientist said:
IMO there are a lot of steeler bandwagon fans. If ... and when they go through a tough 5 year strech most will leave.
I guess you have issues with the Steelers, because this is simply not true. I see just as many Steelers fans out and about when they are going through a 6-10 season as I do when they are in the middle of a playoff run. The word "loyal" fits this fan base to a tee.
I don't have a problem with them. I think they are a classy organization. How many consecutive seasons have the Steelers finished under .500 since 1980? Both the 1985 and 1986 seasons were under .500 and the 1998 and 1999 seasons were under .500. With 7 seasons under .500 in the last 35 years. Give me Cardinal fans, Houston fans, Lions fans any day of the week. Its easy to be loyal if you have not suffered through painful losing seasons year after year. IMO Browns fans are 10x the fans Steeler fans are. I see these guys everywhere. Their teams get punished year after year and they continue to cheer them on. This is a fan. The reason they come out in such great numbers is directly related to the fact that they have had 28 winning seasons in the last 35 years. How many people ever remember them being bad?
From the Pacific northwest - that explains your posts. Intresting 'logic' you are using in this post.

Let's see how many Steelers fans there would be if they put together some years like the Pirates. I seem to remember A LOT of Pirates fans in the late 70s and early 80s during the "We Are Family" era. Now they can't even draw flies. The same can be said for the Penguins.

Pittsburgh sports fans are no more loyal than any others.

I know there was a poll/study last year, that said something like 60-70% of televisions in the Western PA area were tuned into the Steelers games when they play. Highest percentage in the NFL.

Also, believe that polling has also showed the highes number of female fans as well. Maybe that's why the guys are all alowed to watch the game if they can't go. :hophead:

Let's see how many Steelers fans there would be if they put together some years like the Pirates. I seem to remember A LOT of Pirates fans in the late 70s and early 80s during the "We Are Family" era. Now they can't even draw flies. The same can be said for the Penguins.Pittsburgh sports fans are no more loyal than any others.
:rolleyes: Hmm, I do believe the OP is talking about STEELER fans. :football:

:football:

When I went to the Cowboys/Steelers at Texas Stadium back in 04, there were Steeler fans right in front of me who had driven from Arizona. Steeler fans beside me who had driven from Iowa. I felt lame for only having driven three hours from Austin. There were 15,000 of us there that day, and we were significantly louder than the Cowboy fans, so much so that Simms commented on it on air.

:rolleyes:

Here's the deal. I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but from what I've gathered, I think I know a few reasons why Steeler fans travel so well.

I just graduated from Penn St and am in Pittsburgh for now (and am born and raised here) and aside from college have lived here my whole life, but im going to grad school in march elsewhere and plan on never living in PGH again.

1) Pittsburgh Sucks

2) Unless you're 50, Pittsburgh Sucks

I have no plans on living in the 'Burgh' for the rest of my life, but I will never be anythin but a Pittsburgh fan. I'd almost feel like a Cherokee becoming a Mohican if I was no longer a Steeler fan. Simply, It's not gonna happen.

I think this is the key. Sooo many ppl are born in this area and have the same feelings as me. You can't betray a team so loyal and great as the Steelers, which is why they have so many fans. And its not even 'that' loyalty, it's the loyalty of your parents and grandparents that create the Steeler fan in you.

There are a near infinite amount of people born in Pittsburgh, but only a small %age remain. Those who leave, almost always rep the Steelers. Why? BECAUSE ITS A STEELER NATION!!!

"They're a link to those who left, and never forgot where they came from"
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you might want to get a little older and travel a bit more before you come to any conclusions. I have been to every major city in the US and I can tell you that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know what you are looking for but you might find that once you move somewhere else that Pittsburgh doesn't suck as bad as you thought. Pittsburgh has a lot of things going for it, is consistently ranked in the top livable cities in the US, and is a great place to raise a family.

As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion -- I love Pittsburgh and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
I lived in the suburbs of Pittsburgh for 25 years and I go back two or three times a year. I know many Pittsburghers who have left and never returned, I know a few who did return, and I know many who never left. I agree with 90% of what you've said but I don't agree with your use of the rankings to reinforce your opinion. Rand McNally uses the top ranking as a shock factor to sell books and the local media and politicians use it as propaganda. IMO, if it was such a great place to live people would be moving there and it would be growing.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/119998.html

http://pittsburgh.indymedia.org/news/2007/05/27339.php

http://www.archive.org/details/rustbelt-2007-07-23

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06207/708521-28.stm

Let's see how many Steelers fans there would be if they put together some years like the Pirates. I seem to remember A LOT of Pirates fans in the late 70s and early 80s during the "We Are Family" era. Now they can't even draw flies. The same can be said for the Penguins.Pittsburgh sports fans are no more loyal than any others.
:football: You will get ripped for this, but what you are saying is right on :rolleyes:

I pretty much know one Steeler fan and he still cries over the Pats beating them and the refs "tuck" call- in general his thinking regarding football is illogical and biased. So no, I don't think they're the best fans, no matter how many leave their crappy town to live somewhere better. I would say the Patriot fans are definately the best, the most classy, and much better looking than Steeler fans. We also have other interests and hobbies, like the Red Sox and reading. touche!

I pretty much know one Steeler fan and he still cries over the Pats beating them and the refs "tuck" call- in general his thinking regarding football is illogical and biased. So no, I don't think they're the best fans, no matter how many leave their crappy town to live somewhere better. I would say the Patriot fans are definately the best, the most classy, and much better looking than Steeler fans. We also have other interests and hobbies, like the Red Sox and reading. touche!
Thats not much of an accomplishment :coffee:

At the Cardinals-Steelers game this year, there were TONS of Steelers fans in Arizona and at the game. During the game, they were pretty loud, and we were surrounded by them. I was expecting the worst, but I gotta say, every Steelers fan that I saw or met at that game was totally cool. After the game, I got several high-fives from Steelers fans congratulating the Cardinals. I was :shocked:

There were no fights, no bad words, no nothing. Just a lot of, "Man, you guys have sucked for so long and it looks like you might have a team now. Congrats." My opinion of Steeler fans really went up after that game.

With a sample size of one, you make a very convincing argument. :coffee:

These broad generalization threads are just super. :coffee:

I can't fathom how anyone would think that a giant group of people is any "better" than another giant group of people. What a waste of brain cells. Further, picking sides when one group of idiots is yelling at another group of idiots makes you an idiot too. HTH.

So based on being in a bar, and being surrounded by some fans representing a few NFL teams, you conclude that there is no question in your mind the Steelers have the best fans? Ok.

awww you got me. You sure did point out my errors, dang. You just can't get away with anything around here.

These Steeler fans are all over it, even with the smiley faces. Good work.

edit to include the word: TUCK

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriot fans are perhaps the worst fans, in my estimation (I am a Bears fan by the way, and do not think we are the best).As you point out at the end, you have other interests and hobbies like the Red Sox. As far as I can tell, the Pats are second fiddle to the Sox to nearly all Pats fans no matter how dominant your team is. Pittsburgh could not care less for the Pirates. It seems to be all Steelers all the time for them. I agree with the OP. Steelers fans are impressive. And I am not a Steelers fan at all.

The same can be said for the Penguins.
And thus you reveal your ignorance.PS - the Pirates draw considerable crowds despite the fact they have been plagued by 15+ years of horrible ownership, management and rosters.
FactsPirates2007 27 out of 30 in attendance2006 27 out of 30 in attendance2005 27 out of 30 in attendance2004 26 out of 30 in attendancePenguins2007 18 out of 30 in attendance2006 20 out of 30 in attendance2005 strike year2004 30 out of 30 in attendance (Pre-Crosby season)

you are not talking Pittsburgh fans, we are talking "Steeler fans".Western PA is a huge football town. The other sports are just fillers. I mean Pittsburgh never even sold out the Pirates playoff games when they were good. But I think I saw a stat that shows Pens still had great attendance post Jagr/pre Crosby. And you are a little outdated as the Penguins are good now.But back on topic, this is about Steeler fans not Pittsburgh fans. There are a great deal of fans you see out that could care less about Pittsburgh or any of their other sports team. They love the NFL Pittsburgh Steelers.

Patriot fans dominate. So do Red Sox fans. And Celtics fans. Not far behind are the 18 of us Bruins fans. Following that are the Steelers fans.

And thus you reveal your ignorance.PS - the Pirates draw considerable crowds despite the fact they have been plagued by 15+ years of horrible ownership, management and rosters.
FactsPirates2007 27 out of 30 in attendance2006 27 out of 30 in attendance2005 27 out of 30 in attendance2004 26 out of 30 in attendancePenguins2007 18 out of 30 in attendance2006 20 out of 30 in attendance2005 strike year2004 30 out of 30 in attendance (Pre-Crosby season)
Especially with the Pirates, you might want to consider the capacity of PNC Park, the size of the Pittsburgh market, and the fact that it's likely the worst organization in professional sports today. It's an accomplishment for the Pirates to not be dead last in attendance every year.After spending my first 28 years in Pittsburgh, I spent the past 2 years in Toronto. Even there, it was easy to find Steelers fans to watch games with when I wanted to, and I watched the Super Bowl with about 100 other Steelers fans at a sports bar. In Pittsburgh, the Steelers are a way of life, not just a football team. I'm back living in Pittsburgh again and I love it, and it's an awesome feeling to watch the Steelers play road games in front of thousands of fans waving terrible towels.There's an ignorant segment of the fan base of every team, but it's cool to hear that a majority of people have had positive experiences with Steelers fans they've run into.

Major hijack:

I stand by my Steelers win or lose.

I stand by my Buccos win or lose (15 straight years with a losing record and I still where my cap with pride).

I stand by my Pens win or lose.

I stand by my Pitt Panthers football and hoops win or lose.

I love my Pittsburgh sports team.

Glad to see the Pirates are cleaning house.

Hope Wannsteadt's 2007 freshman class can blossom.

Pittsburgh sports chose me....not the other way around.

As a steeler fan I'll openly say this. If we sucked like the Browns, we wouldn't average their game crowds.

Steeler fans are #1 in some aspects, but not all of them.

Here's the deal. I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but from what I've gathered, I think I know a few reasons why Steeler fans travel so well.I just graduated from Penn St and am in Pittsburgh for now (and am born and raised here) and aside from college have lived here my whole life, but im going to grad school in march elsewhere and plan on never living in PGH again.1) Pittsburgh Sucks2) Unless you're 50, Pittsburgh SucksI have no plans on living in the 'Burgh' for the rest of my life, but I will never be anythin but a Pittsburgh fan. I'd almost feel like a Cherokee becoming a Mohican if I was no longer a Steeler fan. Simply, It's not gonna happen.I think this is the key. Sooo many ppl are born in this area and have the same feelings as me. You can't betray a team so loyal and great as the Steelers, which is why they have so many fans. And its not even 'that' loyalty, it's the loyalty of your parents and grandparents that create the Steeler fan in you.There are a near infinite amount of people born in Pittsburgh, but only a small %age remain. Those who leave, almost always rep the Steelers. Why? BECAUSE ITS A STEELER NATION!!!"They're a link to those who left, and never forgot where they came from"
I agree with you yinzer... I was born and raised Pittsburgh and just couldn't take the city any more. I moved 3 hours west to Columbus Ohio. I don't think I'll ever move back. Columbus is no San Diego but I prefer living here 10x more than Pitt. Granted, I visit family every 5 weeks or so in the Burgh but there's not one time where I said I want to move back. I am very loyal to Pittsburgh sports.... The large amount of Pittsburgh refugee's create a large Steeler Nation outside of the Burgh.

Especially with the Pirates, you might want to consider the capacity of PNC Park, the size of the Pittsburgh market, and the fact that it's likely the worst organization in professional sports today. It's an accomplishment for the Pirates to not be dead last in attendance every year.
I was going to come back with something like this. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday homestands continue to nearly sell out every time the Buccos are around for the weekend. I actually haven't been to a Steeler game in 10 years or so but went to 8-10 Pirate game this year. Even if they aren't winning, I still find it enjoyable to go root for 'emPlus, when you can get tickets for 5$ and walk down and be 25 rows off the field from the first inning, whats not to love. It costs more to go to the movies :thumbup: And as for the Pens, I'm surprised the attendence was that low during those years, although you may want to consider that for the most part the NHL and NFL seasons coincide, and obviously we have gone through in this post how dedicated fans are to the Stillers. I know that for last year at least, the Pens drew the most sellouts and highest avg % of arena full for games in the NHL, and FSN Pens games had the highest viewer rating of any NHL team :yes: ....and im laughing at all these Pats fans posting in here with nothing but "our boston teams are just wicked cool and we'yare the best fans". I'll give you the BoSox, but even with this huge game looming this week for the Patsies, I bet the Sox are the ones dominating the headlines and front pages.Pats fans can maybe get consideration as having the most bandwagon and fairweather fans though :D

I find a lot of NFL fans that grew up in the 70s and 80s and are now adults are either fans of the Cowboys or Steelers. I think that accounts for the number of fans for both teams - they were both very successful, marquee teams, appeared in Superbowls, etc. Of course, quantity doesn't always equal quality. For the most part fans for both teams are stellar and one of the reason why the NFL has so much success.

Dallas Cowboys Are Most Popular

Especially with the Pirates, you might want to consider the capacity of PNC Park, the size of the Pittsburgh market, and the fact that it's likely the worst organization in professional sports today. It's an accomplishment for the Pirates to not be dead last in attendance every year.
Over the past seven years (since 2001), here is the Pirates rank in attendance in terms of percentage of capacity (out of 30):8, 18, 17, 23, 21, 18, 23Considering that the Pirates have averaged fewer than 70 wins per season during this span, I'm not sure if these rankings make Pirate fans appear to be more loyal or more stupid.

From yesterday's online Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: a Steeler fan club in Burlington, VT LINK

One of the most fun times I've ever had is the Steelers game in Memphis at the Liberty Bowl in 1997 while the homeless Oilers were taking up temporary quarters here. The whole idea of the Oilers playing here at all after the NFL repeatedly shunned Memphis over two decades and then allowed Bud Adams to relocate to Nashville was about as dumb an idea as I've ever seen put into practice. Everyone in west Tennessee that wasn't an interested party thinking wishfully knew this. But the agreement was struck and the vagabond Oilers were supposed to play in Memphis for two seasons until their new stadium in Nashville was completed.

Attendance that year in the Liberty Bowl was abysmal, as anyone who remembers the highlights on SportsCenter will recall. For many games there were less than 15,000 people in the 60,000 seat Liberty Bowl. I didn't go to a single game until the last one -- the Steelers game.

I was born and raised in Memphis and I've been a Steelers fan since I was a kid. I learned the rules of football watching the Steelers of the early 70s with my dad. I learned the positions, the numbers, and the names watching the Steeler greats of the Steel Curtain era. They were on TV practically every week on WMC Channel 5 on Sunday mornings, while the Cowboys were on WREG Channel 3. Almost without exception, folks my age who grew up in Memphis were either Cowboys fans or Steelers fans. But most were Cowboys fans as that was the initial "America's Team" era.

And that's why I became so loyal a fan. As a kid, any difference one has with the group is deeply scrutinized and becomes cause for singling you out. I became the 'Steelers kid' in a sea of Cowboys fans wherever I went. I embraced the role with t-shirts, hats, bookbags, lunchboxes, you name it. But the cool thing is that during my entire time in grade school and junior high, from 1974 to 1984, the Steelers never lost to the Cowboys in five tries (including two Super Bowls). I never once had to go to school hanging my head on a Monday morning. The Steelers had my back when I needed the help. Now I have theirs.

But not growing up in the rust belt area, I didn't have the same level of hatred for the Browns and Bengals as most Steeler fans do. The team I did come to hate, though, was the Earl Campbell era Oilers. That damn "Houston Oiler" song they'd play after every score. Bum Phillips promising to "kick the door down." "Luv Ya Blue" placards filling up the Astrodome. I hate light blue to this day. And then their secret deal with Nashville spoiled any chance that Memphis could ever get an NFL team. Even worse, without the modern miracle of NFL Sunday Ticket, I'd still have to put up with watching them every Sunday as we're in their designated market now.

So when the Steelers came to the Liberty Bowl to play the Oilers in 1997, I was one of the first to buy tickets. When gameday rolled around, it was a pretty bleak looking day -- the locals usually run for cover when the temperature drops below 75 degrees, and this game was being played in late December. It was overcast and gray and drizzling rain. I figured we'd be lucky to get 10,000 fans in the stands. And having been one of only a bucketful of Memphis Mad Dogs (CFL) season ticket holders, I was pretty familiar with how empty a Liberty Bowl stadium with only a few thousand fans in it looked.

When I showed up, though, the parking lot was full. Folks were parking cars all the way down Hollywood St. and Central Ave. and overflowing into the Christian Brothers University parking lot. And practically everyone was wearing Black and Gold. Over 50,000 fans showed up for the game that day, by far the largest attendance for any Oilers game in the Liberty Bowl. In fact, that game accounted for almost a quarter of the Oilers season attendance in 1997. And easily 80% of the people who turned out for the game were Steelers fans. The crowd was a Steelers home crowd with regular chants of "Here We Go, Steelers, Here We Go" and "DEE-FENSE" bringing the stands to their feet. It's still the loudest crowd I have ever heard in the Liberty Bowl.

The Steelers lost the game 16-6 but we were 11-4 going in and had the first round playoff bye sewed up, so it didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. It was amazing as a lifelong Memphian to watch the Steelers playing in the Liberty Bowl in front of a home crowd. But the most beautiful moment of all came later.

Afrer the game, Bud Adams was so incensed about the partisan crowd cheering and chanting against his "home" team that he tore up the remaining year of the Memphis contract and moved the team to Nashville immediately. They played the following season in 41,000 seat Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville where no alcohol could be sold. Good riddance.

That's why I'm a diehard Steelers fan even though I've never been to Pittsburgh. I was a big fan before that day, but joining with the Steelers, our travelling fans from all over, and a core group of proud Memphis Steelers fans to run Bud Adams' carpetbagging ### and his vagrant Oilers out of town a year early pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I will always be a proud Steeler fan.

:shock:

A few weeks ago I flew from Norfolk, VA to NYC around 6:30 am on Sunday. I saw at least 20 Steelers fans in full gear who were flying to Pittsburgh for the game. I saw no fans from other teams. :shock:

I agree with those who have said that in general I find Steelers fans to be nice and respectful despite also being very passionate. Heck, I think that is represented on this forum as well. The tool factor is very low with Steelers fans on this board in comparison to some other teams' fans.

So based on being in a bar, and being surrounded by some fans representing a few NFL teams, you conclude that there is no question in your mind the Steelers have the best fans? Ok.
RAIDERNATION said:
As much as I hate to say it (still bitter about Franco's non-catch), it's true.Let me give you the LATEST EXAMPLE of why.
HTH

These broad generalization threads are just super. :censored: I can't fathom how anyone would think that a giant group of people is any "better" than another giant group of people. What a waste of brain cells. Further, picking sides when one group of idiots is yelling at another group of idiots makes you an idiot too. HTH.
And yet, you clicked on the thread.I love irony.

Steeler fans are great but it's hard to beat Packer fans. I signed my kids up for season tickets in 2001 and right now they are #'s 56,353 & #56,354 respectively. Last year they were numbers #57,089 & #57,090 so at that rate their grandkids might get tickets.

These broad generalization threads are just super. :confused: I can't fathom how anyone would think that a giant group of people is any "better" than another giant group of people. What a waste of brain cells. Further, picking sides when one group of idiots is yelling at another group of idiots makes you an idiot too. HTH.
And yet, you clicked on the thread.I love irony.
Raidernation, let me start by saying :thumbup: It takes alot for a fan of another team to say all of this. Secondly, I am proud to be a Pitt fan (of all teams - I live in Harrisburg, PA). I was brought up on the Steelers and the rest fell into place. I think it all stems from the working class attitude in Pitt. I'll never forget the last time I was at Heinz field to watch a game. The Steelers played the Skins. There were a few Washington fans in our area and it was a good game. But instead of chucking batteries at them and shouting obscenities at their mothers, we were high fiving them and having a good time. I think the biggest reason that Pitt fans are the best is that we give a certain degree of respect, wherever we go. From reading about 90% of the posts from fans of other teams in this thread, I think they agree.

RAIDERNATION said:
(still bitter about Franco's non-catch)

Im still surprised that every raider fan still brings up franco's catch on that play...the question on that play was NOT about franco's catch (i have it on tivo and in slow motion the ball never leaves the screen while his hands are clearly clutching the ball), the question on that play was who the ball first touched because back then an offensive player could catch a ball that was first touched by another offensive player, i saw a special on three rivers stadium and there is a sideline view of that play (a view that i have never seen before) that clearly shows tatum touching that ball before fuqua could put his hands out to catch it...back to your point, steeler fans rock, we are everywhere here in cleveland too...

RAIDERNATION said:
(still bitter about Franco's non-catch)
Im still surprised that every raider fan still brings up franco's catch on that play...the question on that play was NOT about franco's catch (i have it on tivo and in slow motion the ball never leaves the screen while his hands are clearly clutching the ball), the question on that play was who the ball first touched because back then an offensive player could catch a ball that was first touched by another offensive player, i saw a special on three rivers stadium and there is a sideline view of that play (a view that i have never seen before) that clearly shows tatum touching that ball before fuqua could put his hands out to catch it...
I say "non-catch" from a rulebook standpoint... not from a literal one.

RAIDERNATION said:
As much as I hate to say it (still bitter about Franco's non-catch), it's true.

Let me give you the latest example of why. I went out with a bunch of buddies last Sunday to golf in the morning, followed by some bar-hopping to watch the games at 1:00. First sports bar we went to, there was a group of Pats fans, a few Jets fans, Cowboys fans, Redskins fans, etc. Many teams had two or three fans. We look over to the main bar. The Seahawks/Steelers game is on the big screen near the bar, and there has to be about 15 Pittsburgh fans, each one in a Steelers jersey.

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :unsure: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Oh, I should mention that I live in RHODE ISLAND.... it's not like I'm anywhere -near- PA.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :hey:
Best fans or best alcoholics?

PatsFan23 said:
RAIDERNATION said:
As much as I hate to say it (still bitter about Franco's non-catch), it's true.

Let me give you the latest example of why. I went out with a bunch of buddies last Sunday to golf in the morning, followed by some bar-hopping to watch the games at 1:00. First sports bar we went to, there was a group of Pats fans, a few Jets fans, Cowboys fans, Redskins fans, etc. Many teams had two or three fans. We look over to the main bar. The Seahawks/Steelers game is on the big screen near the bar, and there has to be about 15 Pittsburgh fans, each one in a Steelers jersey.

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :mellow: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Oh, I should mention that I live in RHODE ISLAND.... it's not like I'm anywhere -near- PA.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :rolleyes:
I agree with you here....every Steeler fan I've met are fiercely loyal and mostly pretty cool..Just a thought...did you ever think you run into so many of them out at bars because unless they can't afford the Direct TV Sunday Ticket while on unemployment and it's the only way they can see their team in RI? I'm sure if they were broadcasted locally you wouldn't see so many of them out there in hostile territory.
fixed :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread