What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you feel shouldn't be up for debate but are. (2 Viewers)

Wing lovers, tell me why chicken skin, or any other skin, is good for you? Gross stuff  :X

:banned:
Are you saying that when getting Popeyes (spicy) or Maryland Fried Chicken you aren’t making sure a breast comes your way and you pull off and save the crispy goodness for last with your meal?

Pretty much this. I've mostly stopped eating wings for this reason.
when ordering, asked to have them "naked and floating".  No breading and very well done ...it makes the skin nice and crispy and NO gross gooey skin or fat.  

or do them yourself ...if you bake them, toss them in a little baking powder and bake the beejuz out of them.  They'll come out nice a crispy with no gunk.  

I think we should have a debate provided everyone that replies begin the reply with "I don't want to start the debate but..".
I really don't want to start a debate, just pointing out that both sides have pretty reasonable arguments on this.

My votes: 

Jordan, Serena Williams, and Gretzky are the best at their respective sports and that's really, really, really unlikely to ever change.

Five Guys makes a pretty good burger.  

Saving your dog over another human being is a pretty crappy thing to do. 

Undocumented immigrants have, to a small extent, some inalienable rights.  It's the law pursuant to a number or sources. 

Humans have made at least some negative impact on the climate. 

Eagles fans are the worst. 

The Earth is round. 
Are you considering women's tennis a distinct sport from men's tennis?

I am hardly an expert, but doesn't the name Chili Con Carne itself suggest that meat is the variable and not beans?

When I googled chili con carne recipes, nine out of the top ten results had beans in them.

I'm sure you're correct that the dish probably doesn't need them, but they do seem to be a common ingredient.
Chili refers to the peppers, but it appears the authentic dish also contains meat and excludes beans. 

The Chili Appreciation Society International specified in 1999 that, among other things, cooks are forbidden to include beans in the preparation of chili for official competition—nor are they allowed to marinate any meats.
Not sure how the purists feel about vegetarian chili.

Bravo sir!

And I don't know exactly what Miracle Whip is but I can tell you exactly what it isn't.  Miracle Whip is not mayonnaise nor is it a substitute for actual mayonnaise.  The only thing miraculous about Miracle Whip is that people actually buy it.  I've always assumed it was there to remind people of how awesome real mayonnaise is and how horrible the world would be if your only option was Horrible Whip.  Kinda like Hunts Ketchup, it's just there to remind people of how awesome Heinz is and how crappy Hunts tomato soup in a bottle is.
Miracle Whip is goblin cum. it was first extracted from said goblins around 1933 by Kraft back when labor was cheap enough that manually stimulating a goblin was cheaper than making actual mayonnaise.

Diplomatic cables sent from the United Kingdom's ambassador to the United States back to London describe President Donald Trump as "inept," "insecure" and "incompetent," a UK government official confirmed Saturday.

Diplomatic cables sent from the United Kingdom's ambassador to the United States back to London describe President Donald Trump as "inept," "insecure" and "incompetent," a UK government official confirmed Saturday.
are you posting this in every thread to make sure no one misses it?

Terminalxylem said:
Chili refers to the peppers, but it appears the authentic dish also contains meat and excludes beans.
So the implication here is that Chili con Carne should literally be translated as "a dish made with chili peppers and meat... with meat"?

It's nice that the Chili Appreciation Society International weighed in, but it appears they are outvoted by a strong majority of chili-preparers.

So the implication here is that Chili con Carne should literally be translated as "a dish made with chili peppers and meat... with meat"?

It's nice that the Chili Appreciation Society International weighed in, but it appears they are outvoted by a strong majority of chili-preparers.
Hey, I’m with you. I was surprised there was merit to the meat-only chili argument.

wikkidpissah said:
I've been on a jag about this on several previous occasions - for hundreds of years, there was a tacit agreement between human beings that, when one entered the public realm, the least they could do was importune others as little as possible. The general peace - we are all in this together so, please, do not disrupt it without good reason. Dress, demeanor, comportment, conduct was as much a part of decency as not cheating, hurting, lying. Civilized.

Yes, a lot of this was forced upon folks by self-appointed arbiters of culture, morality, religion and there was a LOT of wrong in what they did and how they did it. That does not mean that manners weren't the right idea. It would still be a good thing, in fact the world would indeed be a better place, if each person left the house with cooperating with others & not offending them unduly as a significant part of their public agenda and that they, in turn, could reasonably hope to receive the same consideration for themselves and their children. Simple as that.
You back or just have access to a computer?

Either way, I couldn't be any more in agreement about this. It would be nice to keep anything but the most basic of t-shirt statements (that aren't conventionally obscene) to a minimum. That would be, um, nice.

Then again, one person's art...

Enough. Nice work here.

Despyzer said:
I am hardly an expert, but doesn't the name Chili Con Carne itself suggest that meat is the variable and not beans?

When I googled chili con carne recipes, nine out of the top ten results had beans in them.

I'm sure you're correct that the dish probably doesn't need them, but they do seem to be a common ingredient.
True. I'd guess Chile Con Carne is where you'll see the bean debate, where as the ground beef style chili would have near universal expectation of beans (if it's being eaten in stew-like fashion).  I don't personally put beans in my CCC, but I wouldn't have a problem with it either.

Frankly, I just find the word "chili" fascinating. It might be my favorite word. It can mean so very different things to different groups of people. At our tiny restaurant alone, we have 3 very different things that people referred to as "chili". I've long wanted to sell Chile Con Carne there, but it would be very confusing to people (and I highly doubt we could get the price we'd need for it).

You back or just have access to a computer?

Either way, I couldn't be any more in agreement about this. It would be nice to keep anything but the most basic of t-shirt statements (that aren't conventionally obscene) to a minimum. That would be, um, nice.

Then again, one person's art...

Enough. Nice work here.
i'm back, baby. my beeootiful beach wk at an end and all refreshed to go back to wiping the hole i came out of a half-dozen times a day and patting a chokeful of oatmeal out of the ol' man when Hannity gets him apoplectic about gays causing hurricanes. recovered from jetlag yet?

yeah, the whole issue of decency is tough for me as a hyperactive member of the gen that broke rules in two. i figured we'd dance around with liberty until it became license, agree that tolerance was at least as much a part of decency as genuflecting was and get right back on track. au contraire, mon frere - the women & people of colors & differents not only wanted their individuality tolerated but embraced and media immediately recognized that's what they did best and started pitching identity to the point that everyone was special (when actually almost none of us are) and the schlockmeisters eventually went full-circle and taught grumpy ol white doods how to hate all the differentness.

but we don't get out of this except together. as i've said a LOT more than i've wanted to in this forum, we are rehearsing tyranny with how we're acting these days. After sussing it out the last few years, i've concluded that manners is the easiest (and therefore least unlikely) way to tell each other "we're in this together", so this proably won't be the last wikkidpreach™ you'll hear on the subject

i'm back, baby. my beeootiful beach wk at an end and all refreshed to go back to wiping the hole i came out of a half-dozen times a day and patting a chokeful of oatmeal out of the ol' man when Hannity gets him apoplectic about gays causing hurricanes. recovered from jetlag yet?

yeah, the whole issue of decency is tough for me as a hyperactive member of the gen that broke rules in two. i figured we'd dance around with liberty until it became license, agree that tolerance was at least as much a part of decency as genuflecting was and get right back on track. au contraire, mon frere - the women & people of colors & differents not only wanted their individuality tolerated but embraced and media immediately recognized that's what they did best and started pitching identity to the point that everyone was special (when actually almost none of us are) and the schlockmeisters eventually went full-circle and taught grumpy ol white doods how to hate all the differentness.

but we don't get out of this except together. as i've said a LOT more than i've wanted to in this forum, we are rehearsing tyranny with how we're acting these days. After sussing it out the last few years, i've concluded that manners is the easiest (and therefore least unlikely) way to tell each other "we're in this together", so this proably won't be the last wikkidpreach™ you'll hear on the subject
Sure thing. Points taken.

A return to manners and civility sounds like a good idea to me. I think individualism, while it can be initially liberating, finds nowhere to go as an end unto itself and serves its only master, whom it then devours. 

But that's just sort of one man's opinion. 

Sure thing. Points taken.

A return to manners and civility sounds like a good idea to me. I think individualism, while it can be initially liberating, finds nowhere to go as an end unto itself and serves its only master, whom it then devours. 

But that's just sort of one man's opinion. 
'tis indeed the serpent that eats itself.

I am again reminded of Katherine Hepburn in African Queen, playing a prim missionary on an unlikely journey w a boatsman.

Boatsman: "A man takes a drop too much once in a while. It's only human nature"

Missionary: "Nature......is what we are put in this world to rise above."

Our "nature"s are but the repressed, wound-licking, score-settling products of decades of reactive living in becoming adult. They are not the stuff of heroes, they are not the trailblazers of epic journeys. They are largely infested garbage. Mine was, and nearly 30 years of self-discovery have got me little more than half 'risen above' it. And i'm the frikkin' Wrath of God. g'luck y'all....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread