What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

They really made the right call firing Stoltz. The movie would have had a whole weirder tone with him and Glover going at it. It's funny listening to Tom Wilson talking about Stoltz and their interaction in the diner scene. Dude wasn't a fan. :lol:

#1: BACK TO THE FUTURE [peacock]

My #1 and 80s' #4. Forget the decade, this has been my favorite movie period since the day in '85 I saw it in the theater. Instant love, and it's the main reason I have been obsessed with movies since. It's always the first movie I get when I upgrade formats. I don't think it's an underestimation to say I've seen the movie 500+ times. It didn't hurt that it was my first "date", it had my favorite musician on the soundtrack and in it (I had gerbils named Heuy and Lewis :lol: ), and fed into my obsession with time travel.

One of the best films ever made IMHO. Peak Spielberg. Probably my #3 after Raiders and Empire.
Wait, what?

Put.the.bong.down.

#5: BLADE RUNNER

80s' #6 pick, and my #12 pick. I probably don't need to talk too much about the movies in the top 5. I'd be interested if people have seen some of these though. I have always loved intelligent sci-fi and this one is near the top for that.
I have never seen this even though it seems like it would be in my wheelhouse. :bag:

The main reason is that there are so many versions of it and I don't know where to begin.

My #1 and 80s' #4. Forget the decade, this has been my favorite movie period since the day in '85 I saw it in the theater. Instant love, and it's the main reason I have been obsessed with movies since. It's always the first movie I get when I upgrade formats. I don't think it's an underestimation to say I've seen the movie 500+ times. It didn't hurt that it was my first "date", it had my favorite musician on the soundtrack and in it (I had gerbils named Heuy and Lewis :lol: ), and fed into my obsession with time travel.

One of the best films ever made IMHO. Peak Spielberg. Probably my #3 after Raiders and Empire.
He did only produce. Zemeckis directed.

This is a great anecdote about an interaction between Spielberg and Sid Sheinberg...

Back to the Future (1985)

Universal Pictures head Sid Sheinberg did not like the title "Back to the Future", insisting that nobody would see a movie with "future" in the title. In a memo to Robert Zemeckis, he said that the title should be changed to "Space Man From Pluto", tying in with the Marty-as-alien jokes in the film, and also suggested further changes like replacing the "I'm Darth Vader from planet Vulcan" line with "I am a spaceman from Pluto!" Sheinberg was persuaded to change his mind by a response memo from Steven Spielberg, which thanked him for sending a wonderful "joke memo", and that everyone got a kick out of it. Sheinberg, too proud to admit he was serious, gave in to letting the film retain its title.

80s' #6 pick, and my #12 pick. I probably don't need to talk too much about the movies in the top 5. I'd be interested if people have seen some of these though. I have always loved intelligent sci-fi and this one is near the top for that.
I have never seen this even though it seems like it would be in my wheelhouse. :bag:

The main reason is that there are so many versions of it and I don't know where to begin.
It's easy now...The Final Cut.

Wait, what?

Put.the.bong.down.

:doh:

Wait, what?

Put.the.bong.down.

:doh:
That's what I was getting at. I agree, if he directed it it would have been peak Speilberg.

2: DIE HARD [starz]

80s' #5 and my #7. What I wish more action movies realized is that they are better when the hero is vulnerable, bleeding, down and out. Hell, even this series didn't understand that as John was doing superhero **** out of airplanes by the 4th movie.
This is a genre of movie that's pretty boring usually, and I think there was a certain amount of luck to what they pulled off with this film. But this was pretty much perfect.

First the casting, big ups to Jackie Burch who was casting director for this, as well as Breakfast Club. Making Bruce a star yes, but Rickman was genius. All star cast of henchmen, and the little funny action lines were delivered so much better than the imposters later. I always loved that they gave the We're gonna need more FBI guys to the abrasive Dwayne T Robinson.

So rewatchachable for me.

I've watched Diehard fairly recently and I'd have it quite a bit lower. I'm not a huge Bruce Willis fan though.....and this one didn't age horribly, but it did age...and it's cheesy asall get out.

Two massively glaring omissions are Beetlejuice, and Caddyshack......also, Evil Dead 2 is better than Evil Dead

Last edited:
Also......no Vacation or Christmas Vacation? Ona those woulda been reeeeal nice Clark.

Sorry I'm not trying to bombard you guys, but I want answers! :biggrin:

2: DIE HARD [starz]

80s' #5 and my #7. What I wish more action movies realized is that they are better when the hero is vulnerable, bleeding, down and out. Hell, even this series didn't understand that as John was doing superhero **** out of airplanes by the 4th movie.
This is a genre of movie that's pretty boring usually, and I think there was a certain amount of luck to what they pulled off with this film. But this was pretty much perfect.

First the casting, big ups to Jackie Burch who was casting director for this, as well as Breakfast Club. Making Bruce a star yes, but Rickman was genius. All star cast of henchmen, and the little funny action lines were delivered so much better than the imposters later. I always loved that they gave the We're gonna need more FBI guys to the abrasive Dwayne T Robinson.

So rewatchachable for me.
Odd casting nugget. The original John McClain was to be Frank Sinatra. Reason being he played the lead in the film adaptation of the novel that Die Hard (the novel) was the sequel to. As such, he had the right of first refusal. Of course, he refused. Then Harrison Ford and others passed. Bruce was something like the sixth choice.

Yea, thanks for doing this guys! You gave me some watch list material for sure......one more though....Highlander? How cool would it have been to have it #1.....THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!
I saw Highlander for the first time a few months ago. Must be a product of its time; a lot of it hasn't aged well

The Shining is probly the only movie I've ever watched where the it was better than the book.....the book is great, and I love King, but he must've went on a coke binge or something. The movie took the best of the book and made a perfect movie. Nicholson's best performance, imo.....haunting movie for sure.

Yea, thanks for doing this guys! You gave me some watch list material for sure......one more though....Highlander? How cool would it have been to have it #1.....THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!
I saw Highlander for the first time a few months ago. Must be a product of its time; a lot of it hasn't aged well
Most 80's movies didn't "age well"......Highlander is pretty damn cool though. I thought the cast was great.....it had frickin Connery for God sakes!.....great soundtrack too..... Clancy Brown as the Kurgan is one of the all-time movie villains, imo.

OK two more.....
The Outsiders and Red Dawn......I mean how?

I actually thought The Outsiders had an outside shot at the top 5

If the next 100 countdown happens I’ll comment on all those omissions. Some were in my 100 perhaps and some just suck ;)

Reactions: JAA
OK two more.....
The Outsiders and Red Dawn......I mean how?

I actually thought The Outsiders had an outside shot at the top 5
Here's how, and said it at the start. My struggle with things like these is that I usually have between 20-40 that are 100% slam dunk movies that will be on my list - say these are the 8/10 movies or higher for me. Then I hit a mass of about 250+ that I could list, and many of yours are examples of, that are 7/10 for me. If I do this in a month, those last 50 movies on my list would look different for a variety of reasons - mood, I've seen something more recent and it gets a bump, I started watching it with my kid, whatever.

Very few that people will list, especially from the 80s, I won't like. Most of my personal "nopes" are in the comedy realm (since you named them - Caddyshack and Beetlejuice) or just movies like Blues Brothers I haven't seen.

I would start with the theatrical cut…if you enjoy it as much as many of us in here do…then watch the final cut.

The sequel was fantastic as well.

the crop i hoped would make it, as mentioned top of thread:

Something Wild - HIT

i already mentioned the Cox duo of "Sid & Nancy"/"Repo Man" ... the former an Oldman/Webb masterclass, the latter is just simply the most fun the 80s had to offer.

A Soldier's Story: is to me for the 80s as Glengarry is to me for the 90s ... the best drama of the decade - dunno how this escapes a top 10, let alone a top 100.

punctuated by the best supporting actor role of the decade from Adolph Caesar, not to mention the stacked up n' coming ensemble cast. has a definite "In The Heat of The Night" vibe to it (also tie-in with Rollins graduating to the Tibbs role on TV)

dunno in what universe this misses the cut, but, think i found it ... egreguous whiff here.

Pope of Greenwich Village: wherein Rourke & Roberts looked prime to dominate the decade ... i lived 'round there at this time, and the flick strikes true to the era/atmosphere - not as gritty as Mean Streets or Brasco, but it captured the knock around loser life perfectly ... we all knew characters like Paulie and Charlie irl.

speaking of Caeser's incomparable supporting turn, the female version were Geraldine Page up here in "Pope" ... pound for pound, the greatest 10 minutes any woman graced the screen with. she nailed that no nonsense, NYC Irish mom to the effin' wall.

prolly the most underrated of it's genre all-time ... a must see for those who haven't.

I don't envy the task it must have been to compile and then share this personal list with this corner of the world. Well done.

This list and the ensuing discussions and successive omissions also reminds me that I'm still on an island about the greatness of Conan the Barbarian. Not even in the top 101? Ouch.

I would start with the theatrical cut…if you enjoy it as much as many of us in here do…then watch the final cut.

With the voice over? I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not even sure where you'd find the theatrical to watch.

With the voice over? I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not even sure where you'd find the theatrical to watch.
The ultimate Blue Ray has every cut. I say that to everyone seeing it for the first time because the voiceover helps newbies get to know what’s going on.

Once you have that, watching it without it is fantastic and makes you realize how much better the Directors or Final cut is.

I watch either the Directors or Final cut.

The Shining is probly the only movie I've ever watched where the it was better than the book.....the book is great, and I love King, but he must've went on a coke binge or something. The movie took the best of the book and made a perfect movie. Nicholson's best performance, imo.....haunting movie for sure.

Shawshank Redemption was a much better movie than the short story written by King. IMO.

Shawshank Redemption was a much better movie than the short story written by King. IMO.
Same could be said of Stand By Me/The Body from the same book.

Users who are viewing this thread