What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (2 Viewers)

A Soldier's Story: is to me for the 80s as Glengarry is to me for the 90s ... the best drama of the decade - dunno how this escapes a top 10, let alone a top 100.

Pope of Greenwich Village: wherein Rourke & Roberts looked prime to dominate the decade ... i lived 'round there at this time, and the flick strikes true to the era/atmosphere - not as gritty as Mean Streets or Brasco, but it captured the knock around loser life perfectly ... we all knew characters like Paulie and Charlie irl.
Agreed. Two great films.

It's a fun list and appreciate the effort it took to put together but here are some additional recommendations for the adventurous.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory
Once Upon a Time in America

The Shining is probly the only movie I've ever watched where the it was better than the book.....the book is great, and I love King, but he must've went on a coke binge or something. The movie took the best of the book and made a perfect movie. Nicholson's best performance, imo.....haunting movie for sure.

Shawshank Redemption was a much better movie than the short story written by King. IMO.
It's weird how some of his stuff turns into great movies and some horrible......dreamcatcher comes to mind on the horrible side

I echo the appreciations for pulling together — fun thread. Will bite my tongue on some omissions and see if show up in the next 100.
I guess I was expecting a bit of a discussion on omissions but if another hundy is coming I see why that wouldn't happen.

A Soldier's Story: is to me for the 80s as Glengarry is to me for the 90s ... the best drama of the decade - dunno how this escapes a top 10, let alone a top 100.

Pope of Greenwich Village: wherein Rourke & Roberts looked prime to dominate the decade ... i lived 'round there at this time, and the flick strikes true to the era/atmosphere - not as gritty as Mean Streets or Brasco, but it captured the knock around loser life perfectly ... we all knew characters like Paulie and Charlie irl.
Agreed. Two great films.

It's a fun list and appreciate the effort it took to put together but here are some additional recommendations for the adventurous.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory
I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded ones. They are musts.

Two others that are favorites of mine that others may not agree with are:
Excalibur (1981) - It often gets mixed reviews but Boorman's epic storytelling is still the best King Arthur film ever.
Somewhere In Time (1980) - Reeve and Seymour are perfectly paired in one of the most romantic films ever made.

No “Hoosiers”. :kicksrock:

glaring omission

In the discussion for best sports movie of all time
I don't really like watching sports, so I don't really like watching sports movies. The ones I like are usually ones that blur the line with another genre, like Bull Durham, or it has to be a really well made focus on one interesting athlete, like Raging Bull. I don't hate many that have been listed, it's just not stuff that I seek out or rate highly.

#8: THIS IS SPINAL TAP

@Ilov80s (I'm going to @ you on the ones you outranked me on in the top 10) had this at #9, and it was my #18. I will say that I watched this just last night and my ranking was too low. It cracks me up so much, and this 100% is a comedy that has only grown on me while others are duds. It just has so many odd beats, people in the background to laugh at, etc... that only reward repeat viewings. Plus now knowing that it was shot Curb Your Enthusiasm-style only adds to the hilarity.
Top 10 for Spinal Tap is a reach. I get the cult following, the mockumentary genre, etc. However, top 10 of the 80s? I can see the 18 ranking, just not the 9.

Overall mockumentaries are typically watch once for me.

So I'm not completely up on the process for this......how many movies did one of you not rank that the other did?

glaring omission

I don't really like watching sports, so I don't really like watching sports movies. The ones I like are usually ones that blur the line with another genre, like Bull Durham, or it has to be a really well made focus on one interesting athlete, like Raging Bull. I don't hate many that have been listed, it's just not stuff that I seek out or rate highly.
Thanks......this is the discussion I was looking for. A reason for omission

So I'm not completely up on the process for this......how many movies did one of you not rank that the other did?
I think we ended up about even. We each did 10, we agreed on 40, but I think one didn't score enough to make the cut. I think I had 31 that didn't show up (a ton of "80s movies" down here), so that would also make it so that 80s had about 30 not make it as well.

whatever you do, please don't watch the 90s remake instead, right @krista4 ??

Don't call me into this thread! :lmao:

I had to scroll around to see what you're talking about. Wow, so pleased to see my favorite movie so high on your lists! :shock: I knew others liked it (El Floppo shares this love with me), but I didn't expect it on this. :wub:

ETA: I expect, however, that this is where a bunch of people who've never seen it will tell you how wrong you are because it's fuuuuuurrrin and you put it above their favorite movie when they were 10 years old, so I'll back out of the thread again rather than throwing things.
this

#6: DO THE RIGHT THING

@Ilov80s ' #1 pick and my #19. Again, since he outranked me on the movie I will let him do most of the talking here. Obviously I love the movie, but I have a couple nitpicks and I am still wrestling with the movie, so I couldn't justify it higher on my personal list.
I get the ranking. I have to be honest, Ive never seen it though lots of folks recommend the flick. Sounds like I am missing out.

#8: THIS IS SPINAL TAP

@Ilov80s (I'm going to @ you on the ones you outranked me on in the top 10) had this at #9, and it was my #18. I will say that I watched this just last night and my ranking was too low. It cracks me up so much, and this 100% is a comedy that has only grown on me while others are duds. It just has so many odd beats, people in the background to laugh at, etc... that only reward repeat viewings. Plus now knowing that it was shot Curb Your Enthusiasm-style only adds to the hilarity.
Top 10 for Spinal Tap is a reach. I get the cult following, the mockumentary genre, etc. However, top 10 of the 80s? I can see the 18 ranking, just not the 9.

Overall mockumentaries are typically watch once for me.
Funniest movie of the 80s for me. That’s pretty much the reason.

This is like the Bizarro world top 10.
Sure, if you didn't read any of our posts or understand our intent with this countdown.
Oh, I'm aware.
So the point of those posts are?
What's the point of any post critiquing or agreeing with a pick?

Again, I understand what the criteria for your lists are, but if they are going to deviate this much from what you would normally see on a top 10, you have to expect a certain amount of debate. My next 100 will have plenty of WTF picks, and I fully expect to be called out on them.
Exactly, the debate aspect is fun. Unless you would prefer everyone to tell you how wonderful your picks are, how smart they make you look, and how everyone loves you.

f this bro. we in 'merica

glaring omission

Thanks......this is the discussion I was looking for. A reason for omission
On top of that, basketball is one of my least favorites. So I will gravitate to a baseball, hockey, football or martial arts movie first typically.

Reactions: JAA
#5: BLADE RUNNER

80s' #6 pick, and my #12 pick. I probably don't need to talk too much about the movies in the top 5. I'd be interested if people have seen some of these though. I have always loved intelligent sci-fi and this one is near the top for that.
I have it #48. Good if not great movie. Great plot. Great FX. I think the execution is a little lacking and overly dramatic. Its a commitment to watch which I think is why I moved it down the list. I can appreciate someone having this movie in top 10 as is was a relative blockbuster over time.

4: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK [disney +]

My #3 pick, and 80s' # 15. WTF, 80s??!! ;) Like many, this WAS my childhood. I just wanted to go to Dagobah and train with Yodi when I grew up. I still have a few of the action figures, and it was one of the loves I got to share with my son. 0% chance this or my #1 ever leave my top 5 of the decade. Still the best of the franchise.
Well well well ... it only took 97 movies for us to agree at #4

#3: THE SHINING [hbo max]

My #6 pick and 80s' #8 pick. So many iconic scenes, quotes, and images. Blood elevators, big wheels, gross dead ladies in bathtubs. :scared: I know some people bag on Kubrick but you are doing something right if you put together a movie that is arguably the best of a genre, let alone do it for horror, war, sci-fi, anti-war, and noir. Pretty sure I missed something, too.
Fine. Not my cup of tea. I have it #128. I get it though.

2: DIE HARD [starz]

80s' #5 and my #7. What I wish more action movies realized is that they are better when the hero is vulnerable, bleeding, down and out. Hell, even this series didn't understand that as John was doing superhero **** out of airplanes by the 4th movie.
I have it as #1. No complaints here.

Best holiday (Christmas) movie of all time.

#6: DO THE RIGHT THING

@Ilov80s ' #1 pick and my #19. Again, since he outranked me on the movie I will let him do most of the talking here. Obviously I love the movie, but I have a couple nitpicks and I am still wrestling with the movie, so I couldn't justify it higher on my personal list.
I get the ranking. I have to be honest, Ive never seen it though lots of folks recommend the flick. Sounds like I am missing out.

.. you're not ... don't lose any sleep over this 😅

• Thanks

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Platoon isn't on this list? WTF?

#5: BLADE RUNNER

80s' #6 pick, and my #12 pick. I probably don't need to talk too much about the movies in the top 5. I'd be interested if people have seen some of these though. I have always loved intelligent sci-fi and this one is near the top for that.
I have it #48. Good if not great movie. Great plot. Great FX. I think the execution is a little lacking and overly dramatic. Its a commitment to watch which I think is why I moved it down the list. I can appreciate someone having this movie in top 10 as is was a relative blockbuster over time.
I'm with those who have it in the Top 10. I see your point, but to me the bolded statement is a function of the era. Not dissimilar to the commitment/discipline it takes to really listen to a Pink Floyd album.

I really enjoyed the existential themes in Bladerunner...none better the Lao Tzu quote captured in the final conversation btw Tyrell and Roy.

Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Take the pain

#1: BACK TO THE FUTURE [peacock]

My #1 and 80s' #4. Forget the decade, this has been my favorite movie period since the day in '85 I saw it in the theater. Instant love, and it's the main reason I have been obsessed with movies since. It's always the first movie I get when I upgrade formats. I don't think it's an underestimation to say I've seen the movie 500+ times. It didn't hurt that it was my first "date", it had my favorite musician on the soundtrack and in it (I had gerbils named Heuy and Lewis :lol: ), and fed into my obsession with time travel.
Can we talk a little about what made the movie #1? Actors, plot, originality, FX? I mean, it was a great movie and I have it #9, but I would then have 8 movies better than it.

My guy tells me you have it so high based on association. Nothing wrong with that of course, just curious if there was more.

2: DIE HARD [starz]

80s' #5 and my #7. What I wish more action movies realized is that they are better when the hero is vulnerable, bleeding, down and out. Hell, even this series didn't understand that as John was doing superhero **** out of airplanes by the 4th movie.
This is a genre of movie that's pretty boring usually, and I think there was a certain amount of luck to what they pulled off with this film. But this was pretty much perfect.

First the casting, big ups to Jackie Burch who was casting director for this, as well as Breakfast Club. Making Bruce a star yes, but Rickman was genius. All star cast of henchmen, and the little funny action lines were delivered so much better than the imposters later. I always loved that they gave the We're gonna need more FBI guys to the abrasive Dwayne T Robinson.

So rewatchachable for me.
This is a good point. The movie could have gone all the ways bad if not for Rickman (RIP - absolute star), Willis and VelJohnson. Crazy to think Willis turned his initial career into an action star.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

I’ve never seen this, i probably should

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Never seen it, I probably should

Users who are viewing this thread