What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trader Joe's Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Long time envier, first time shopper..

Trader Joe's just opened up in Albuquerque, and I plan to visit this weekend! :pickle:

Having never seen a Trader Joe's before, what are some of the "must buy" items I should look for?

I'll hang up and listen.

Long time envier, first time shopper..

Trader Joe's just opened up in Albuquerque, and I plan to visit this weekend! :pickle:

Having never seen a Trader Joe's before, what are some of the "must buy" items I should look for?

I'll hang up and listen.
great prices on wine and a nice selection of microbrews. they have some good frozen foods.. especially deserts.it all depends when you go. the selection can vary quite a bit.

Great prices on nuts, breakfast bars, chocolate.

Most of the other stuff they carry is crap. My wife and I threw most of it away after tasting.

Sounds like TJ's is a cheaper version of Wild Oats.
lots of specialty grocery stores out there now. it's a big money maker. i wouldn't say TJ's is any more "organic" or "healthy" than your local kroger/safeway/etc. they just have some cool stuff for cheap.

Sounds like TJ's is a cheaper version of Wild Oats.
lots of specialty grocery stores out there now. it's a big money maker. i wouldn't say TJ's is any more "organic" or "healthy" than your local kroger/safeway/etc. they just have some cool stuff for cheap.
Right on. TJs is not the nature mart. I do love Whole Foods and think its a far superior store...but they have a deli, meat dept, lots of things that TJs does not have. You also will spend triple the price for some things.TJ's is great, but I do dislike the fact that many times you cannot check out because there are so many gd dirty hippies in line waiting to check out ahead of me. But overall it's great. I like the fact you can get a good 6 pack of microbrew pale ale for about $5-6 in there...which is a really good price out here in SoCal.

So far on the list:

2 Buck Chuck
Flame Grilled Buffalo Patties
Thai Lemongrass Chicken
Steel Cut Oatmeal
I'd spend another 5-6 bucks and get a little better bottle of wine. 2 buck Chuck is vile swill. Get some wasabe peas too.

So far on the list:

2 Buck Chuck
Thai Lemongrass Chicken
Steel Cut Oatmeal
2 Buck Chuck is now 3 bucks here. Pretty sure you want to steer clear of that regardless.The frozen aisle is pretty sweet. Lots of goodies in there.

If you like Pinots, they started carrying a 2004 silver label Coppola. Was marked down to 10.99 here so i gave it a shot. I was shocked how good it was.

So far on the list:

2 Buck Chuck
Thai Lemongrass Chicken
Steel Cut Oatmeal
2 Buck Chuck is now 3 bucks here. Pretty sure you want to steer clear of that regardless.The frozen aisle is pretty sweet. Lots of goodies in there.
The frozen Chicken Shu Mei and the small ice-cube sized trays of chopped frozen herbs are really good.

I just had the garlic fries. I didn't use all of the garlic mix because it looked like too much, but man were they good!

The frozen bags of white rice are pretty good side for a quick meal (stay away from the brown rice though) as is the frozen Naan (use the toaster instead of the oven).

Oh, and the Mac & Cheese (white cheddar and shells) is good too.

I just had the garlic fries. I didn't use all of the garlic mix because it looked like too much, but man were they good!

The frozen bags of white rice are pretty good side for a quick meal (stay away from the brown rice though) as is the frozen Naan (use the toaster instead of the oven).

Frozen naan is something I always wanted but could never find at the usual stores.

Had the veggie samosas again last night with the cilantro/chive yogurt sauce.

I thought I was in India after I finished.

Grilling out TJ's salmon patties tonight. :thumbup:

Frozen naan is something I always wanted but could never find at the usual stores.
Fairfax Trader Joe's in VA.

Fairfax Trader Joe's in VA.
Oh, it's available near my house. :thumbup: Fairfax is a bit of a trek for me.

Had the veggie samosas again last night with the cilantro/chive yogurt sauce.

I thought I was in India after I finished.

Grilling out TJ's salmon patties tonight. :thumbup:
Nice. The samosas are now on the shopping list for my way back from dropping the wife at Reagan National tomorrow morning (I have to plan these trips, being nearly 45 minutes away from the nearest TJs).

One of the only place around here that sells Almond Brownie Balance Bars. My kids love the fish sticks too. :thumbup:

Found an inexpensive wine at TJ's (I think it was under $7): Marchese di Montecristo Nerello del Bastardo. It is a lighter, Barolo style blended red that is a deal for the price. :banned:

The Frozen Italian Meat Balls are good if you don't mind onion flavorings. Just don't heat them in the microwave for 4 mintues per package directions. You end up with tiny marbles. Two to two and a half minutes does 'em fine.

Some new finds for me.

Chicken BBQ: Not too sweet nor too much vinegar.

Cassoulet: Made with Chicken, not duck or goose. Super low fat, but full of flavor.

Went to my first TJ's about 10 years ago in Tucson, always wished there was one up here in MN. I heard they opened the first MN TJ's in St Louis Park, will have to go check it out!

No but are you saying it's a must have? Not a fan of pudding usually but if it's Trader Joe's it's gotta be good!

Staple Trader Joes items for the Schmutzig Household:

Frozen Garlic Naan

Edamame

The hard salami with the Columbus looking dude on the label

Everything Crackers

Chocolate Covered Dunkers (on occasion)

There are probably a few others that I can't think of. The Samosa's and Pampadums listed above will go on the next shopping list...

I hate Trader Joe's. They never round up their carts after closing, and instead leave them to roam around the parking lot. Two years ago, I was seeing a movie at the theater in the same parking lot. The movie started after the store had already closed. I parked about 500 feet from Trader Joe's and there were no carts near the car but many out in the lot on a somewhat windy day. When I come out from the movie, there is a cart right on my car. I approach and see a ding on my car door from the cart.

I hate Trader Joe's. They never round up their carts after closing, and instead leave them to roam around the parking lot. Two years ago, I was seeing a movie at the theater in the same parking lot. The movie started after the store had already closed. I parked about 500 feet from Trader Joe's and there were no carts near the car but many out in the lot on a somewhat windy day. When I come out from the movie, there is a cart right on my car. I approach and see a ding on my car door from the cart.
Wow...good reason to hate them.

We just got a TJ's here in Warwick R.I. I've been going there every few days. It's truly awesome. So far I'm digging on the frozen entrees, the TJ's brand Vanilla Shredded Wheat, the Bay Blend Coffee, and the trail mixes. The sausage stuffing they were selling around Thanksgiving was ridiculously good too.

Unfortunately no alcohol due to state law.

The only no so good product I've had is the garlic flavored "ramen" type soup bowl.

Is it possible to go to Trader Joes these days without getting accosted by activists on the way out? Just want to pick up some Mochi and gotta hear about saving the animals or homeless children or whatever the flavor is that day. I tell this woman today that I already signed up for what she's peddling. She says "you're already a full member of the city project for the homeless?" I smile as I'm walking by, "that's right". "Well I'm not with the city project for the homeless. I'm with Amnesty International." What a trickster.

Is it possible to go to Trader Joes these days without getting accosted by activists on the way out? Just want to pick up some Mochi and gotta hear about saving the animals or homeless children or whatever the flavor is that day. I tell this woman today that I already signed up for what she's peddling. She says "you're already a full member of the city project for the homeless?" I smile as I'm walking by, "that's right". "Well I'm not with the city project for the homeless. I'm with Amnesty International." What a trickster.
IIRC our local Trader Joe's has a sign that says they don't tolerate activists near the entryway. It's possible I'm thinking of another supermarket though.

IIRC our local Trader Joe's has a sign that says they don't tolerate activists near the entryway. It's possible I'm thinking of another supermarket though.
Ours has one. Activists ignore it.Should be better after election day.But the parking lot problem will remain. :goodposting:

Been going to TJ's for...well pretty much forever and I have never experienced this.

Been going to TJ's for...well pretty much forever and I have never experienced this.
You haven't been to Westwood lately I take it.

check out TJ's bool kogi, korean short ribs suitable for grilling really quickly over high heat. Good stuff.

Also a fan of their frozen garlic fries.

Big fan of:

- Mushroom risotto (in freezer section)

- Frozen garlic cubes - keep in the freezer until you need crushed garlic in a recipe... pop out a cube or two and voila. So easy

- Pizza dough

- Truffle brownie mix

For wines, I'm liking the Trentatre 33. Great value at ~$7 per bottle.

Purchased today:

Their instant coffee: My work has great coffee so I just drink theirs during the week. But for the weekends when I just want a cup, this stuff is stupidly good. All other instant I've ever tried has been filth, but TJ's is excellent.

They have some orange chicken in their frozen section. I could go to the freezer to find out the brand, but I'm posting at 1:23 am on a weeknight so it should be clear I don't want to make an effort. The bag's orange. That should help you.

I haven't tried it yet, but they had some apple-smoked peppered turkey bacon that looks really good. I'll report back after I try it unless I forget. I'd gamble on the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread