What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trouble brewing by the bay (1 Viewer)

BustedKnuckles

Footballguy
I have been a loyal Raiders fan since 1983 and have been VERY patient with Al Davis for some time now ...but i don` know how much more of him i can take as a fan. If he fires Kiffin that may be the last straw for me as i may not be motivated to support my favorite team until Davis steps down or dies. :thumbup:

Trouble brewing by the bay

Kiffin’s job could be in danger over perceived disloyalty, control of coaching staff

By Trent Modglin

Jan. 14, 2008

Bobby Petrino resigned and Cam Cameron was fired, meaning two of the NFL’s three first-time head coaches in 2007 have already been relieved of their duties. The way we hear it, Al Davis may be exploring ways to make it a perfect trifecta after learning of Lane Kiffin’s disloyalty stemming from his expressed interest in vacancies at a pair of prominent universities.

Despite his strong denials, Kiffin, sources confirmed, showed interest in the Arkansas position for which Petrino abruptly left the Falcons, and he expressed great interest in the previously vacant Michigan job that was eventually awarded to West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez.

Sources told PFW that Davis and Kiffin have disagreed over the composition of the roster dating back to the draft, when Kiffin sought to overhaul the loose, rebel culture fostered by the aging owner but was able to accomplish little with Davis holding full authority over the 53-man roster.

Tensions have mounted in recent weeks over the coaching staff. Team officials spent the last week working on coaching contracts and the financial future of the roster, but no word of Kiffin’s future was mentioned.

With a defense that slipped from a No. 3 ranking to 22nd overall, Kiffin sought to correct the defense with his own coach. However, the staunchly loyal Davis holds control over the coaching staff and vetoed the move to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who interviewed for the head-coaching job prior to Kiffin’s appointment and remains in high regard by Davis and fellow coaches around the league.

“Lane is going to stand up to Al,” one source with knowledge of the front-office dynamics said. “In a lot of ways, he's a young Jon Gruden. But he is not stupid and is not going to quit.”

Sources have told PFW that the notoriously frugal Davis, who paid a $2 million settlement to Art Shell last season, is said to be exploring the best exit strategy for Kiffin and debating whether to give Kiffin what he wants — an easy out of Oakland. Confounding Davis’ decision is his desire to win now and the importance of maintaining some continuity, something he would keep by promoting Ryan to head coach.

Ryan, who was retained by Davis after the firings of Norv Turner and Shell, is believed to be the most logical candidate for the top job should Kiffin be let go. The last time Davis intervened in a similar fashion came after the 1998 season, when former head coach Mike Shanahan tried to fire Shell, then the team’s OL coach. The following season, Shanahan was let go and replaced by Shell.

The decision to promote Ryan would give the Raiders their fifth head coach in seven seasons since Gruden was essentially traded to Tampa Bay in 2002. However, with Pete Carroll’s name surfacing for the job in Atlanta, sources speculate that the ever-wavering Davis will wait for all other vacancies to be filled, as he has done in recent years, before making any move and might just decide to let another year play out before letting Kiffin off the hook.

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a loyal Raiders fan since 1983 and have been VERY patient with Al Davis for some time now ...but i don` know how much more of him i can take as a fan. If he fires Kiffin that may be the last straw for me as i may not be motivated to support my favorite team until Davis steps down or dies. :lmao: Trouble brewing by the bayKiffin’s job could be in danger over perceived disloyalty, control of coaching staffBy Trent Modglin Jan. 14, 2008 Bobby Petrino resigned and Cam Cameron was fired, meaning two of the NFL’s three first-time head coaches in 2007 have already been relieved of their duties. The way we hear it, Al Davis may be exploring ways to make it a perfect trifecta after learning of Lane Kiffin’s disloyalty stemming from his expressed interest in vacancies at a pair of prominent universities.Despite his strong denials, Kiffin, sources confirmed, showed interest in the Arkansas position for which Petrino abruptly left the Falcons, and he expressed great interest in the previously vacant Michigan job that was eventually awarded to West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez.Sources told PFW that Davis and Kiffin have disagreed over the composition of the roster dating back to the draft, when Kiffin sought to overhaul the loose, rebel culture fostered by the aging owner but was able to accomplish little with Davis holding full authority over the 53-man roster.Tensions have mounted in recent weeks over the coaching staff. Team officials spent the last week working on coaching contracts and the financial future of the roster, but no word of Kiffin’s future was mentioned.With a defense that slipped from a No. 3 ranking to 22nd overall, Kiffin sought to correct the defense with his own coach. However, the staunchly loyal Davis holds control over the coaching staff and vetoed the move to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who interviewed for the head-coaching job prior to Kiffin’s appointment and remains in high regard by Davis and fellow coaches around the league.“Lane is going to stand up to Al,” one source with knowledge of the front-office dynamics said. “In a lot of ways, he's a young Jon Gruden. But he is not stupid and is not going to quit.”Sources have told PFW that the notoriously frugal Davis, who paid a $2 million settlement to Art Shell last season, is said to be exploring the best exit strategy for Kiffin and debating whether to give Kiffin what he wants — an easy out of Oakland. Confounding Davis’ decision is his desire to win now and the importance of maintaining some continuity, something he would keep by promoting Ryan to head coach.Ryan, who was retained by Davis after the firings of Norv Turner and Shell, is believed to be the most logical candidate for the top job should Kiffin be let go. The last time Davis intervened in a similar fashion came after the 1998 season, when former head coach Mike Shanahan tried to fire Shell, then the team’s OL coach. The following season, Shanahan was let go and replaced by Shell.The decision to promote Ryan would give the Raiders their fifth head coach in seven seasons since Gruden was essentially traded to Tampa Bay in 2002. However, with Pete Carroll’s name surfacing for the job in Atlanta, sources speculate that the ever-wavering Davis will wait for all other vacancies to be filled, as he has done in recent years, before making any move and might just decide to let another year play out before letting Kiffin off the hook. :o
Bring back Tom Flores.

Seriously, the Raiders are a team you grow up hating (which is just they way they want it)...but I definitely have started to feel sorry for the Raider fans over the past 5 years or so. People can debate about the most important position in football all they want, but the MOST most important one is owner. Period. And Davis...well, I'm not sure if he is just senile or if he would rather lose "his way" than win in...you know...a normal way. Either way, you have to wonder if the Raiders will ever be a factor while he is still in charge.

I used to think that Raiders fans painted their faces because they were strange. Now I know it's because they are embarassed by the owner of their favorite team.

The shoulder pads with the spikes guys are just strange, however.

Life long Raider fan here and I for one can't wait for Al Davis to go. The only thing I have to look forward to each year is which head coach Al will bring in. Not what a fan should be looking forward to. It is quickly becoming the lauging stock franchise of the league.

BustedKnuckles said:
“Lane is going to stand up to Al,” one source with knowledge of the front-office dynamics said. “In a lot of ways, he's a young Jon Gruden. But he is not stupid and is not going to quit.”
If you are going to coach for Al Davis this is the only way to approach the situation, IMO. I wouldn't put up with Al's meddling. Likewise, I wouldn't expect to be employed for very long, but so what? As a first time HC, you have to get experience somewhere, why not bust your cherry with the Raiders?I certain Kiffin will have another HC opportunity in the future. IMO, he is farther ahead with his career than if he stayed at SC.

They've had 5 coaches over a 7 year span. Not sure how anyone could be expected to do well without a chance to get their system installed and more efficient.

Who is Trent Modglin?

Trent's January 2006 Article Trashing Al Davis

Trent's January 2007 Article Trashing Al Davis

Trent's January 2008 Article Trashing Al Davis

It looks like he just has a reminder on his calendar every January. This makes we wonder how much of this is information that has become available to him and how much of it is just speculation to populate his January rant.
So what? I trash Al Davis every time someone brings him up. It is getting embarrassing as a Raider fan that no self-respecting head coach worth a crap will take Al's job offers. Most coaching candidates decline interview unless they need experience, or badly need a paycheck. As long as Al demands to have so much control and acts like a dictator - offing the heads of anyone in his organization who stands up to him - this team won't make any progress. Kiffen could very well be the next Gruden for us, but probably won't make it long enough to find out.

I feel bad for Raiders fans, if there are any left at this point. Davis has turned this franchise into an even bigger joke than the Bengals and Cards were in their heyday of patheticness.

It has become harder with every year being a fan of this team. I love em to death, but every year it's the same ####, just a different year. The same dumb plays on the field, the same squandering of (high) draft picks, the same turmoil..... when will it stop!?

Yes, I know, hopefully once AD will be gone. I'm not sure how much would change though if his son and Amy Trask are left managing the team.

The Raiders won me when they signed my childhood idol, Ronnie Lott. Roger Craig really was the kicker, as my family were 49er fans and those two helped me convert. Those two teams are my local choices though, and of all 32 teams I probably pull as much or more for the Steelers (sorry, I'm young enough to have missed the rivalry in the '70's). If I move out of California, I just may be able to dissassociate myself from the Raiders because I won't feel as though I need to support a local team that I've come to dislike just as much as I support. Maybe I'll move to Alabama and pull for Auburn. I won't need auto insurance there either.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame there aren't mechanisms in place to remove Al Davis from control of the team. Were this a publicly traded company, Al would've long sine been compelled to take on a Chairman Emeritus role and more effective daily managers would've been put in place. But, this is the NFL so basically Davis gets to keep screwing up his once storied franchise until he sells the team, gives up control or (not to be morbid) passes away.

Press conference called to announce the Oakland Raiders new coach.

Let's give a big welcome to new head coach :

ART SHELL

:tinfoilhat: :bow: :clap:

:bow: :loco: :thumbup: :loco:

:tfp:

As a Chiefs fan, I love every second of this!! not that the Chefs are a good team right now or anything, but I love all turmoil revolving around the silver and black!!! keem 'em comin!!

As sad and morbid as it sounds, and I'm not wishing death on anyone, the Raiders have no chance until Davis joins the Chapter Eternal .

While I have no doubt that there likely is trouble in Oakland, as it is almost a guarantee with Davis still making decisions for that franchise, I have a hard time believing anything that PFW puts out. Until this is confirmed by another sports news agency I cannot take this as the truth. But that's just me.

As much as this has sucked to experience as a fan over the last number of years, I feel bad for the players stuck in this nightmare. To go through this many coaches over such a short period of time has without a doubt negatively impacted the careers of a lot of promising players.

The only answer is to have Davis out. Which is unfortunate to say since he has done so much for the game of football during his career. But his time has passed. He needs to step aside and let the organization start making the right decisions.

I used to think that Raiders fans painted their faces because they were strange. Now I know it's because they are embarassed by the owner of their favorite team.The shoulder pads with the spikes guys are just strange, however.
yeah I agree...I've never understood when,where, why, how the Darth Vader guy started showing up at Raiders games and what Darth Vader has in common with the Raiders other than wearing black, and why anyone would dress as him to go to a Raiders game..its the dumbest thing I've ever seen in pro sports..I know the dude can't mean to imply the Raiders are the Evil Empire, because they are actually the Laughing Stock of the NFL. people should dress as sheep and cattle at Raiders' games..

I used to think that Raiders fans painted their faces because they were strange. Now I know it's because they are embarassed by the owner of their favorite team.The shoulder pads with the spikes guys are just strange, however.
yeah I agree...I've never understood when,where, why, how the Darth Vader guy started showing up at Raiders games and what Darth Vader has in common with the Raiders other than wearing black, and why anyone would dress as him to go to a Raiders game..its the dumbest thing I've ever seen in pro sports..I know the dude can't mean to imply the Raiders are the Evil Empire, because they are actually the Laughing Stock of the NFL. people should dress as sheep and cattle at Raiders' games..
I believe it has something to do with the dark side...and the black hole ?

BusterTBronco said:
Gotta side with Al Davis on this one. He plucked Kiffin from the collegiate ranks (as a coordinator, mind you) to be an NFL head coach and Kiffin is clearly looking at other jobs. Is it too much for Al Davis to expect a little loyalty? Apparently so.
If A.Davis would give kid Kiffin some control of the team maybe he would`nt be looking elsewhere :eek:

BusterTBronco said:
Al Davis doesn't give his coaches full control.Kiff knew that going in.It does not justify his disloyalty.
Kiffin was one of, ..., the only people who would take Al's interview. Doesn't Al owe Kiffin anything? Let him make Ryan his HC and see if this franchise can actually take ANOTHER step back.

It'd be a sign of the apocalypse and there's no way it'd happen, but the perfect coach for the Raiders at this time is Marty Schottenheimer.

There'd be some super fantastic bitter games played if that happened as well. Heck, he could even get Cameron to OC for him again.

Gr00vus said:
It'd be a sign of the apocalypse and there's no way it'd happen, but the perfect coach for the Raiders at this time is Marty Schottenheimer.There'd be some super fantastic bitter games played if that happened as well. Heck, he could even get Cameron to OC for him again.
For that to happen, Al would have to bite the bullet and pay a head coach more than most good coordinators.

It's a shame there aren't mechanisms in place to remove Al Davis from control of the team. Were this a publicly traded company, Al would've long sine been compelled to take on a Chairman Emeritus role and more effective daily managers would've been put in place. But, this is the NFL so basically Davis gets to keep screwing up his once storied franchise until he sells the team, gives up control or (not to be morbid) passes away.
Counterexample: Ford Motor Company. (And the Detroit Lions).

:shrug: wow what are you 10 years old? Yeah guy's wearing dresses with hog noses on and guy's where blocks of cheese on their heads is much cooler. Man the shark pool has become a cess pool, time to close this place down Joe.

Kiffin has made the most of his opportunity and would be in line for a HC position if he got let go... I'm sure he wouldn't change his mind on taking the position as he would still be working his way up in college if he hadn't.

Gr00vus said:
It'd be a sign of the apocalypse and there's no way it'd happen, but the perfect coach for the Raiders at this time is Marty Schottenheimer.There'd be some super fantastic bitter games played if that happened as well. Heck, he could even get Cameron to OC for him again.
For that to happen, Al would have to bite the bullet and pay a head coach more than most good coordinators.
Oh, there are tons of reasons it won't happen, but that is a good one to be sure.

Gr00vus said:
... spit take ...

Gr00vus said:
Oh, there are tons of reasons it won't happen, but that is a good one to be sure.
Marty was fired from SD for confrontations with the front office regarding players and coaching staff, so I don't see him as a good fit with Mr Davis. I have heard theres a bread and breakfast just off the interstate five that has a good manager looking for a coaching position though.

Gr00vus said:
:lmao: That would be a brilliant move - could you imagine the heights the Raiders-Chargers rivalry would reach? Neither man would let it happen though.

Kiffin has made the most of his opportunity
How so?
I don't know maybe the fact that he put some semblance of offense together when the past 3 years nobody could do anything even though they had Randy Moss. Their line solidified, they had a succesful running game and they played close with the three head joke of a QB they had. The only thing that seems out of whack to me was the defensive decline but maybe thats why he wanted Ryan out? In any case I was impressed with how the Raiders played compared to the past few years. It wasn't reflective in their record but I imagine teams took notice.

Users who are viewing this thread