What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump supporters on the vaccine? (1 Viewer)

jm192

Footballguy
This was interesting to me.

I made a faceook post encouraging people to get the vaccine.  I read a lot online about "why I'm not getting it," and I wanted to say my 2 cents.  

I'm in KY, I'm a registered Republican and a lot of the people I know are conservatives and voted for Trump.  

One of the first comments was from a guy I know pretty well personally who said he'd rather die than give up any of his rights.  And I know he's a Trump voter.  And not to make this a "Trump is bad" thread.  We've got enough of those.  I'm not attacking Trump supporters.  In a lot of cases, I've been one.  

But I found the comment as such that it didn't fit with the bigger puzzle.  Trump's plan for the pandemic was operation warp speed.  We've got tons of vaccine coming and the military is going to get it to you in record time.  

And I just...find it so odd that if that's the big man's stance--people are quick to poopoo the vaccine as taking away your rights.  If you view government restrictions and mask mandates as taking away your rights--wouldn't the vaccination program give them back?

I didn't vote for Trump this time around, but I like the guy and I like a lot of what he did as Prez.

I've never been an anti-vax person, but I have decided to wait a while before getting the COVID vaccine. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things because I'm at the back of the line anyway.

From Twitter...

MAGA thought process: We must punish evil China for sending this horrible virus that is just the common cold and we don't need masks but Trump was a hero for wearing one that one time and God bless him for inventing the miraculous vaccine we're not going to take.

I’m curious, has there been any indication that the vaccine is going to be mandatory for all citizens? If not, how does getting the vaccine=giving up any rights? Like if I choose to take penicillin to get rid of an infection, am I giving up my rights? Seems like I am exercising my rights there. I don’t understand the take.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Twitter...

MAGA thought process: We must punish evil China for sending this horrible virus that is just the common cold and we don't need masks but Trump was a hero for wearing one that one time and God bless him for inventing the miraculous vaccine we're not going to take.
i tend to hate these hot takes because they ignore parts of what was actually said...

This is actually pretty spot on.  

I don't think this is most Republicans.  But the diehard Trump crew seems to think he's awesome for operation warp speed, but they're not going to partake in the vaccine that Trump is promoting.  Also--they don't want the government to do anything.  Here's a solution that will end all the government restrictions, but...I'm not going to do my part to get the government out of my life.

I’m curious, has there been any indication that the vaccine is going to be mandatory for all citizens? If not, how does getting the vaccine=giving up any rights? Like if I choose to take penicillin to get rid of an infection, am I giving up my rights? Seems like I am exercising my rights there. I don’t understand the take.
There is a lot of concern among my circle of friends that people will be required to show "Vaccine Papers" in order to be allowed on an airplane, or to go into a grocery store, etc.

There is a lot of concern among my circle of friends that people will be required to show "Vaccine Papers" in order to be allowed on an airplane, or to go into a grocery store, etc.
I get that but as of now, I have never heard a single mention of that from anyone with actual government power. Also I don’t believe you have a constitutional right to shop at a grocery store or fly on an airplane. People have the right to choose. 

And I don't want it mandated.  

I'm a physician that works the COVID units at our hospital.  Maybe selfish, but I think health care workers and the high risk population should go first.  And if I don't grow a tail or wind up paralyzed, I would encourage the rest of the general public to get it.
Health care and front like workers like fire and police should definitely get it first a long with the most high risk. That’s not selfish at all.

I'm a physician that works the COVID units at our hospital.  Maybe selfish, but I think health care workers and the high risk population should go first.  And if I don't grow a tail or wind up paralyzed, I would encourage the rest of the general public to get it.
Absolutely. I'm not in the risk group and would like to see how the first wave goes.

I would not support the govt restricting travel based on if I've had the vaccine or not. I think that is where the concern comes in. 

I get that but as of now, I have never heard a single mention of that. Also I don’t believe you have a constitutional right to shop at a grocery store or fly on an airplane. People have the right to choose. 
I don't care if the Feds require papers to get on an airplane, but I feel like they shouldn't be messing with private businesses like grocery stores. If I'm wearing a mask then I shouldn't have to prove that I got the vaccine.

I don't care if the Feds require papers to get on an airplane, but I feel like they shouldn't be messing with private businesses like grocery stores. If I'm wearing a mask then I shouldn't have to prove that I got the vaccine.
I agree with that 100% but what if the grocery store wants to see your papers? Will they be able to do that? Will your employer be able to make you get it?

My main point is refusing to get the vaccine because of this currently fictional idea that some entity might make you take it doesn’t add up. It’s actually a very toddler like behavior. Now if their argument is the vaccine was rushed or is unsafe, that’s an argument. But saying I won’t take it because you can’t make me is just childish.

Absolutely. I'm not in the risk group and would like to see how the first wave goes.

I would not support the govt restricting travel based on if I've had the vaccine or not. I think that is where the concern comes in. 
I don't think the government will, but a pretty good chance the airlines do. So rights are restricted (travelling on a plane isn't a protected right but that will be the argument), but not by the government...

This was interesting to me.

I made a faceook post encouraging people to get the vaccine.  I read a lot online about "why I'm not getting it," and I wanted to say my 2 cents.  

I'm in KY, I'm a registered Republican and a lot of the people I know are conservatives and voted for Trump.  

One of the first comments was from a guy I know pretty well personally who said he'd rather die than give up any of his rights.  And I know he's a Trump voter.  And not to make this a "Trump is bad" thread.  We've got enough of those.  I'm not attacking Trump supporters.  In a lot of cases, I've been one.  

But I found the comment as such that it didn't fit with the bigger puzzle.  Trump's plan for the pandemic was operation warp speed.  We've got tons of vaccine coming and the military is going to get it to you in record time.  

And I just...find it so odd that if that's the big man's stance--people are quick to poopoo the vaccine as taking away your rights.  If you view government restrictions and mask mandates as taking away your rights--wouldn't the vaccination program give them back?
Voted for Trump, 46.  In pretty good shape since the doc told me to clean up my cholesterol.  Best weight I've had since college, pretty equal to it actually.  I shouldn't be in the high risk groups but my rear will be down there day one when they allow me to have it.  Ready for the bell to ring to end this round.

I tried to raise this issue yesterday, and I hope I don’t get in trouble for it but Trump supporters are not the grouping likeliest to resist taking the vaccine. Right now only 42% of African-Americans, per polling, are willing to take it. 
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/04/943213216/survey-finds-asian-americans-are-racial-or-ethnic-group-most-willing-to-get-vacc
With our country’s history of using them for science experiments, I can kind of see why they might be hesitant. IMO, they’re wrong about this vaccine, but I sorta get why they may be hesitant.

When you say "mandate it" do you mean, "everyone HAS to take it!" or is it still an issue if say an employer requires it as part of employment or a school requires it as something necessary for in person learning etc?

I tried to raise this issue yesterday, and I hope I don’t get in trouble for it but Trump supporters are not the grouping likeliest to resist taking the vaccine. Right now only 42% of African-Americans, per polling, are willing to take it. 
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/04/943213216/survey-finds-asian-americans-are-racial-or-ethnic-group-most-willing-to-get-vacc
With our country’s history of using them for science experiments, I can kind of see why they might be hesitant. IMO, they’re wrong about this vaccine, but I sorta get why they may be hesitant.
:goodposting:

This is EXACTLY my thought except I'd say "I see exactly why they would be hesitant"....well done GD :thumbup:  

When you say "mandate it" do you mean, "everyone HAS to take it!" or is it still an issue if say an employer requires it as part of employment or a school requires it as something necessary for in person learning etc?
I don’t think the government should mandate it as part of being a citizen, but what a school system or private business does up to them.

I don’t think the government should mandate it as part of being a citizen, but what a school system or private business does up to them.
Gotcha....and I agree.  I'd have no problem with a "show me your vaccination papers or wear a mask, your choice.  Oh...don't want to do either?  Ok...please leave"

GroveDiesel said:
I know about tuskegee, are there others? 

I plan on taking it as soon as it makes sense. I'm in agreement with those who say it should go to front line workers and high risk populations first. 

I honestly think this is a lot of hand wringing over nothing.  Once we start vaccinating it will be many months before we can even vaccinate all the people who want to get it.  If someone in those first few months doesn’t want to get it?  No problem, just give that dose to the next guy and move on.

By the time we get to the point that all the folks that want the vaccine have already gotten it, we’ll be in a completely different world.  And ideally there will be millions of people to show that the vaccine doesn’t have any (short term) negative impacts.  Many of the people that say they’ll hold out today will be willing to take it then.

Agreed. But it doesn’t change the problem. 
I didn't say it did....this "problem" ONLY goes away with time and a consistent history of not screwing them over by our government during that time.  There is no "fix" to this as you're talking about it.

I honestly think this is a lot of hand wringing over nothing.  Once we start vaccinating it will be many months before we can even vaccinate all the people who want to get it.  If someone in those first few months doesn’t want to get it?  No problem, just give that dose to the next guy and move on.

By the time we get to the point that all the folks that want the vaccine have already gotten it, we’ll be in a completely different world.  And ideally there will be millions of people to show that the vaccine doesn’t have any (short term) negative impacts.  Many of the people that say they’ll hold out today will be willing to take it then.
This is likely true....it takes care of itself...with time IMO.

I know about tuskegee, are there others? 
We can point to individual events like this and we can also point to the disproportionate "success" / "failure" of the medical complex as a whole in treating African Americans.  There are systemic issues in our healthcare system that lead to poorer outcomes for African Americans in many areas.  We see it with this virus for example.

I'll go and get in line as soon as it is my turn to get it but I have friends and family that are skeptical of any vaccine, not just this one.  Don't mandate it but given the pain we've suffered over the last year I think that it would be good for the country if everyone got it. 

Of course I thought that way about masks too but a lot of people think it is an infringement of their rights so what are you going to do?

We can point to individual events like this and we can also point to the disproportionate "success" / "failure" of the medical complex as a whole in treating African Americans.  There are systemic issues in our healthcare system that lead to poorer outcomes for African Americans in many areas.  We see it with this virus for example.
Events implies there are others. Are there? 

Events implies there are others. Are there? 
I don't think there has been anything on the scale of disgust like the polio debacle.  I'd say probably the next closest thing was gynecologist J. Marion Sims experimenting on slaves without anesthesia and even forcing the slaves to help.  Though some would argue that's worse...they're 1A and 1B in my mind...assign the A/B how you like.  I'll say that the Sims actions continue to have an impact (some will argue an indirect impact) today and can be seen in the issues with black women and their struggles with child birth, c-sections etc.  

thought aboutt this a bit.

At first I was like "They can't mandate vacccines!! This is America!!"

But they can...We can..right?  I mean we do for the measles generally right?.  You're not forced to get one, but your kid can't go to school without one. 

As far as covid testing..or covid antibody testing...this one is interesting.  Currently any company can drug test you as a condition of employment.  You have the absolute right to not take the test and find another employer as all do not test.

I can see being asked to submit for a covid antibidy test as a condition of employment being reasonable.  And I am willing to be not every employer will do this   After all this will be driven by insurance companies in the long run, and they get what they want in this country.

thought aboutt this a bit.

At first I was like "They can't mandate vacccines!! This is America!!"

But they can...We can..right?  I mean we do for the measles generally right?.  You're not forced to get one, but your kid can't go to school without one. 

As far as covid testing..or covid antibody testing...this one is interesting.  Currently any company can drug test you as a condition of employment.  You have the absolute right to not take the test and find another employer as all do not test.

I can see being asked to submit for a covid antibidy test as a condition of employment being reasonable.  And I am willing to be not every employer will do this   After all this will be driven by insurance companies in the long run, and they get what they want in this country.
I think this is the most likely scenario.  I doubt the federal government will mandate a vaccine but schools, airlines, employers and other private businesses will require it or force you to find an alternative that won't. 

There are Trump supporters and Trump haters that are worried about the vaccine and there are people of both sides that will gladly take it.  Not everything is political!
Do you think that people who have already decided that they will not get a vaccine skew evenly across the political spectrum, or do they weigh more heavily on one side?  I think the answer is pretty clear.

I have a friend who will not get vaccinated because she is convinced that it contains a microchip.   Do the people amplifying these falsehoods do it on conservative or liberal media platforms?

It was on facebook man!!!  Come on!  has to be fact
I mean, is a facebook interaction any less legit than a post here?  To poopoo it since it was facebook just seems ridiculous given the prevelance of social media in our every day lives at this point.  

I've seen people from both sides want to hold off on it.  Liberals concerned about the safety, Conservatives concerned about the safety. 

Americans: "I am not Covid Vaccine, I don't trust what they put in it!"

Also Americans:  "Woohoo the McRib is back!!!"
I love that BBQ pig heart/intestines/stomach damn it. :angry:   I've tried to replicate it with better cuts of meat but just can't get it right. :angry:

I will let others have first crack. Just don't mandate it. 
I wonder what certain countries and industries will do. I hear Quantas Airlines may require it’s  travelers to be vaccinated at some point for International travel. I travel to Canada for fishing trips and could see them getting on a similar plan for vaccine requirements.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjsjunmscLtAhWdB50JHaKQADsQFjAAegQIBBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Ftravel%2Farticle%2Fqantas-coronavirus-vaccination-intl-hnk-scli%2Findex.html&usg=AOvVaw1fV6CSewPOxEwJ31IKtmPT

Yup, i bet a covid vaccination card will be mandatory for international travel worldwide, just like a yellow fever vaccine card is necessary for travel to certain counties that want to prevent importation of yellow fever. 

per one of my surgeons buddies ...

the vaccines we will see first (Pfizer and Moderna) do not contain virus (live or dead). They are truly astonishing vaccines that use Messenger RNA  to trick your body into manufacturing a small portion of a surface protein that is on the surface of the real virus. Your body then reacts to this copy of a small part of the real virus and starts manufacturing antibodys and killer white blood cells that will be on standby when you catch the real virus and they will kill it before you can get sick. It's an amazing thing. Most people in the studies felt pretty ####ty for twenty four hours after getting the shot, same as most people do with the flu vaccine. No doubt there will be a small percentage with allergic reactions, just like with any other drug you may take for the first time. I'm anxious to get mine and will at the first opportunity, hopefully in the next ten days. 

Users who are viewing this thread