What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump's Disinformation Campaign: How are the Dems going to combat this? (1 Viewer)

The DISINFORMATION is floating BS hypothetical and CLEARLY over the top nonsense like this.   THAT is the disinformation.  It's meant to throw it out into the public sphere to make it seem like this IS the case.

There was multiple disinformation facts I provided above that the left ran with that turned out to be not true.  It appears the definition of "disinformation" - at least on this board - is someone that doesn't tow the Democratic Party line.
He was using an over the top hypothetical to demonstrate the clearly over the top nonsense that was Dershowitz's defense of Trump.  I feel ridiculous that I assumed everyone would see it for what it is, but I again underestimated the effect of propaganda.  

That’s really your play here? The fact Schiff would even be talking about something so stupid means you got owned big time. Take the L.
He was using Dershowitz’s example.  This has been posted many times on the board already explaining that.

He was using an over the top hypothetical to demonstrate the clearly over the top nonsense that was Dershowitz's defense of Trump.  I feel ridiculous that I assumed everyone would see it for what it is, but I again underestimated the effect of propaganda.  
He just proved the point...of the thread.  Trump and the rights use of disinformation.

You should sit back and take a long, long look at the behavior of the left and think about who is pushing propaganda and who isn't.  And irony.  You should definitely do some research on that too.

You should sit back and take a long, long look at the behavior of the left and think about who is pushing propaganda and who isn't.  And irony.  You should definitely do some research on that too.
I do try.  I listened to every minute of the House testimony during the impeachment inquiry.  I encountered a number of right-wing articles on here and on Facebook that made me question what I heard, because they were using quotes out of context, or partial quotes that changed the overall meaning.  I have yet to come across something like this from any of the sources I frequently read, but feel free to point out any specific instances.

Exactly to act like one side OWNS this is just beyond belief. 

Okay--Foxsnews--totally in the tank for the GOP--we all can agree on that.

MSNBC--Baghdad Bob for the Dems

CNN--so many believe this is the MSM at its finest and a trusted source, but yet is there a day there isn't at least 15 attack pieces on Trump on their front page? Of course, right now they are going after Sanders, but you get the point. 

I fell down a youtube hole today and I was hit with a dozen Bloomberg commercials trashing Trump. 

There is so much disinformation spread by both sides every election. The best answer/post in this thread was the one who just suggested you vote and you encourage others to vote and that is how you counter disinformation. 

He was using Dershowitz’s example.  This has been posted many times on the board already explaining that.
To no avail. Along with the actual meaning of words, like thinking that could and will are synonyms, this fact, as to the actual source of Schiff's statement seems seems to make no difference. 

Both sides?

Let me know when the Democrats treat John Kerry like the Republicans treat Romney and Mccain.

A week of Hannity and Republicans will turn on anyone.  Robots.  More updates than my Iphone.

To no avail. Along with the actual meaning of words, like thinking that could and will are synonyms, this fact, as to the actual source of Schiff's statement seems seems to make no difference. 
And you've completely missed the point.  Hanging on petty semantics is the last gasp of someone who can't stand on their own arguments.

I don't think you guys know how disinformation works.  Throw enough ridiculous, unbelievable nonsense out as you can so people will just assume it's all true.  The left has bought into some real doozies the last 3 years, all with the help of the disinformation from their media friends.

This is rich

after spending three years chasing a crazy conspiracy that Trump was some Manchuria candidate of Russia and that there was kompromat and dragging the country through three years of bull#### piled on top of bull####, you have temerity to claim a stanglehold on the truth?

wow

Both sides?
Yeah, actually.

And the problem isn't necessarily "both sides", it's that ONE side believes they aren't doing it and it's all on "the other side".  I am not one of those.  I see both sides as being directly implicated in all of this. 

This is rich

after spending three years chasing a crazy conspiracy that Trump was some Manchuria candidate of Russia and that there was kompromat and dragging the country through three years of bull#### piled on top of bull####, you have temerity to claim a stanglehold on the truth?

wow
Crazy, right?  :)

This is rich

wow
Where exactly did someone here claim to have a "stranglehold on the truth?"

This is an excellent,  important thread. This needs to be discussed.  This nation is in crisis. Without pointing partisan fingers, I think everyone here has seen the delitirious effect of our citizenry not being able to agree on what basic facts are. Propaganda,  information bubbles, social media... all shredding the fabric of what has made the USA the greatest,  most formidable nation in history. If I have any suggestions for how to overcome this quagmire I'll happily share them. But I fear the decline is upon us and will only hasten exponentially given the present climate.

And you've completely missed the point.  Hanging on petty semantics is the last gasp of someone who can't stand on their own arguments.

I don't think you guys know how disinformation works.  Throw enough ridiculous, unbelievable nonsense out as you can so people will just assume it's all true.  The left has bought into some real doozies the last 3 years, all with the help of the disinformation from their media friends.
The words could and will are not synonyms, and to argue that they are or have the same meaning is either ignorant or being intentionally obtuse. This is not talking about Hanging on petty semantics. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, actually.

And the problem isn't necessarily "both sides", it's that ONE side believes they aren't doing it and it's all on "the other side".  I am not one of those.  I see both sides as being directly implicated in all of this. 
Yeah. Just like you, I'm completely above the fray and see things with perfect, unemotional logic. And if you asked most of the people here or anywhere else, they feel the same way. We're all definitely seeing things for what they really are. How come everyone else can't understand the truth without bias like we do?

Yeah. Just like you, I'm completely above the fray and see things with perfect, unemotional logic. And if you asked most of the people here or anywhere else, they feel the same way. We're all definitely seeing things for what they really are. How come everyone else can't understand the truth without bias like we do?
I don't know, but I'm going to find out.   :thumbup:

BTW, I know you're being facetious and your post actually helps prove my point.

John Blutarsky said:
You aren’t specific. Two examples that aren’t good doesn’t back up your massive terrible generalization. I had a lot of respect for you. Have a good weekend. 
Hey, sorry for the combativeness on my part. Have a good one as well and thanks for discussing.  :banned:

BladeRunner said:
I don't know, but I'm going to find out.   :thumbup:

BTW, I know you're being facetious and your post actually helps prove my point.
What point is that? You made a post in another thread about how no Democrat can be trusted. But you definitely see how it's a "both sides" problem and not just tilted toward one side. 

You seem like a bright, decent dude. But you are claiming to be above it all while wallowing in the slop. Just like the rest of us.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Everybody stop making off-topic posts right now. Discuss Trump's disinformation campaign.
Hey MT, sorry on my part. Coffee infused energy there. Thanks for always keeping things even. - SID

What point is that? You made a post in another thread about how no Democrat can be trusted. But you definitely see how it's a "both sides" problem and not just tilted toward one side. 

You seem like a bright, decent dude. But you are claiming to be above it all while wallowing in the slop. Just like the rest of us.
Oh, no.  I absolutely love wallowing in the slop with the rest of you guys!  :)

When I say it's "both sides", it's "both sides lying" and putting forth disinformation and smoke screens.  The Democrats just lie better.  So, IMO, the lesser of two evils theories applies and all that.

Schiff's entire 3 year get Trump shtick has been hypothetical if you really want to be honest.
Ahh...so spreading more disinformation now?  Because claiming a 3 year get Trump thing by Schiff doesn't have a lot of basis in fact.

Dickies said:
I can't help but notice that the pro Trump crowd changed the subject away from Dershowicz and Alaska immediately after this post. That's how spreading disinformation works. 

BladeRunner said:
THAT is the disinformation.  It's meant to throw it out into the public sphere to make it seem like this IS the case.
That *was the case. Given what Dersh said, why was Schiff’s hypothetical wrong, on what basis would Trump be impeachable?

If someone thinks suggesting Trump could sell Alaska with no repercussions as an example of the President's legal permissions per the terms laid out by Dershowitz is the same thing as saying, "Trump is going to sell Alaska," then there's not much of a debate to be had with that person.  Either the nuance is too complicated for them to understand or they're just using confirmation bias to shelter them from admitting it's not a good example of disinformation.   

Unfortunately, it's a pretty good example of just how effective this disinformation campaign has been and is going to be.  

Courtjester said:
I fell down a youtube hole today and I was hit with a dozen Bloomberg commercials trashing Trump. 
I think this proves that Michael Bloomberg paid for advertising space on Youtube.  What do you think it proves?

If I go on Fox News and see pro-Trump commercials, does that necessarily mean I'm getting right wing disinformation?

SaintsInDome2006 said:
If you try to understand why it works it will drive you mad. But look at the Trump thread and pay attention to what Trump supporters elsewhere say - it doesn’t matter what the truth is, what matters is the sense of pain, angst, sadness, anger that comes from liberals or Dems when Trump says and does horrible things.

So for instance - a common refrain in Trump rallies is his claim that he passed the reform act for the VA. Also the claim that Mexico is paying for the wall. Totally false, what happens is the joy that comes from adulation and participation in the lie. It’s exultation.
People at the rallies are obviously not all of the 60 million that voted for him, but for the bold people just dont really care. 

This is the downside to a two party system. You have to pick between a guy that tells lies, but wants to limit immigration or somebody that doesnt want to limit immigration and tells you that you suck because you want immigration limited. 

People at the rallies are obviously not all of the 60 million that voted for him, but for the bold people just dont really care. 

This is the downside to a two party system. You have to pick between a guy that tells lies, but wants to limit immigration or somebody that doesnt want to limit immigration and tells you that you suck because you want immigration limited. 
I don’t think Trump supporters by and large acknowledge the lying. But even so isn’t that reaction to ‘you suck’ just another way of describing the resentment I noted above?

Just to be clear, to understand disinformation, from any source, it’s necessary to understand the goal of it and the source of it. 

Have to say though, a ‘say Trump tried to sell Alaska’ hypothetical and ‘Trump tried to buy Greenland’ reality aren’t that far apart in terms of preposterousness.

So, I see a couple things here that are confusing.  #1.  People are attributing Dershowitz's scenario to Schiff for whatever reason, but more importantly #2, that scenario is an illustration of what the precedent being set with a no vote would be potentially setting.  THAT is not disinformation...at least not in any sort of definition I've ever read.  Is it an extreme illustration?  Sure.  Is it likely ever going to happen?  Probably not.  The point is, IF it did, this precedent being set would allow for it.  It was brought up to show the gravity of the vote here.

So, I see a couple things here that are confusing.  #1.  People are attributing Dershowitz's scenario to Schiff for whatever reason, but more importantly #2, that scenario is an illustration of what the precedent being set with a no vote would be potentially setting.  THAT is not disinformation...at least not in any sort of definition I've ever read.  Is it an extreme illustration?  Sure.  Is it likely ever going to happen?  Probably not.  The point is, IF it did, this precedent being set would allow for it.  It was brought up to show the gravity of the vote here.
The disinformation was in the poster claiming both sides because the left does it too...and using Schiff's words as an example of that.  Schiff's statement wasn't disinformation...someone claiming it was without the full context about Dershowitz is what was disinformation.  In short...the poster proved that disinformation was out there by posting an article slanted right that made it look like Schiff said those things with no real context.

Quite funny actually.

parasaurolophus said:

It takes time but this country is so ready for a viable third party.  We have two parties in opposite red zones when the majority of people are between the 20s.

BladeRunner said:

Actually, I think the goal of disinformation is the exact opposite: destroy the concept of objective truth. People assume that nothing is true, and don't bother to draw a distinction between legitimate sources and propaganda. I believe I read somewhere that was the explicit goal of Russia's disinformation campaigns around the world.

It takes time but this country is so ready for a viable third party.  We have two parties in opposite red zones when the majority of people are between the 20s.
Their unwillingness to get behind significant election reforms like the FRA -- largely because, imho, it will make third parties much more viable than our current first past the post system -- is the biggest beef I have with the Democratic Party right now. Like the failure to entertain debate about increasing the size of the House (and thus diminishing the importance of each individual House seat), I believe this smacks of self-interest over the good of the electorate. An electorate which would support both changes.

The majority of people don’t pay attention to politics and probably couldn’t name the current Vice President.
True, but I'm not sure that's really a recipe for a viable third party.  "This is the party for all the people that don't pay attention.  We'll be holding our convention in my basement because nobody is going to show up."

The majority of people don’t pay attention to politics and probably couldn’t name the current Vice President.
Majority of the people had no idea an impeachment was even going on.   Nobody even talked about it.   I don`t watch cable news so if I did not come here once in awhile I probably would not have known.

What makes you say the majority of people are between the 20s?  That's not my impression at all.
Yeah, that's an overgeneralization. But the two youngest generations -- Millennials and Z -- did outvote the combined Silent/Boomer bloc by a little bit in '18 and that was important to the overall results. Also, one of the long-term polling outfits (Pew?) is reporting that aging Millennials are not turning to the church and the conservative political party in nearly the same percentages as they did a few decades ago. The GOP (and not a few FBGs) have long believed that they don't have to win younger voters because those voters will inevitably turn to them as they reach upper middle aged. That's not the case now. And if that trend holds, the Republican Party is in a world of hurt down the road.

Yeah, that's an overgeneralization. But the two youngest generations -- Millennials and Z -- did outvote the combined Silent/Boomer bloc by a little bit in '18 and that was important to the overall results. Also, one of the long-term polling outfits (Pew?) is reporting that aging Millennials are not turning to the church and the conservative political party in nearly the same percentages as they did a few decades ago. The GOP (and not a few FBGs) have long believed that they don't have to win younger voters because those voters will inevitably turn to them as they reach upper middle aged. That's not the case now. And if that trend holds, the Republican Party is in a world of hurt down the road.
I'd always heard that once you hit 30, you'll start voting Republican, or something along those lines.  If anything, I've become less likely to vote GOP since turning 30.  What exactly is there right now in the party that excites me as a millennial voter?  The economy isn't in the ####ter, that's a positive, though I'm a little concerned about the long-term economic ramifications of the TCJA.  Other than that?  :shrug:

I'd always heard that once you hit 30, you'll start voting Republican, or something along those lines. 
It's usually expressed as a joke along the lines of "If you're 20 and conservative, you don't have a heart. If you're 40 and liberal, you don't have a brain."

FYI, I first heard that as being a quote from Churchill, but apparently it's been around for years. First recorded mention was by Jules Claretie in 1875.

What makes you say the majority of people are between the 20s?  That's not my impression at all.
This may have been true when Trump was first elected (a poll from October 2016 showed that 40% of respondents couldn't name the VP candidates), but a poll from last year showed that only 12% of respondents did not know who Mike Pence was. (It's worth noting that the poll did not specifically ask people to "name the current Vice President", so it's likely that some respondents recognized the name but did not know that he was VP.)

A similar poll in 2014 showed that 29% of respondents were able to name Joe Biden as the current VP.

I'd always heard that once you hit 30, you'll start voting Republican, or something along those lines.  If anything, I've become less likely to vote GOP since turning 30.  What exactly is there right now in the party that excites me as a millennial voter?  The economy isn't in the ####ter, that's a positive, though I'm a little concerned about the long-term economic ramifications of the TCJA.  Other than that?  :shrug:
Similar here...im 45 and as Ive gotten older...ive leaned more left (which has also coincided with the GOP going too far right and too far away from any fiscal conservativism...if we are going to spend anyway...Id rather it be on things that matter more to more people...like healthcare)

It's usually expressed as a joke along the lines of "If you're 20 and conservative, you don't have a heart. If you're 40 and liberal, you don't have a brain."

FYI, I first heard that as being a quote from Churchill, but apparently it's been around for years. First recorded mention was by Jules Claretie in 1875.
Classic Jules.  

Finally read the OP and it was both very informative and hella scary.

One thing the article only briefly touched on was what Dems can do to fight back. I would never want to see Dems involved in spreading misinformation or suppressing anyone's right to vote, but I do think there's a GOP tactic worth copying:

In the final days of the 2016 race, for example, Trump’s team tried to suppress turnout among black voters in Florida by slipping ads into their News Feeds that read, “Hillary Thinks African-Americans Are Super Predators.” An unnamed campaign official boasted to Bloomberg Businessweek that it was one of “three major voter suppression operations underway.” (The other two targeted young women and white liberals.)
If were a liberal billionaire, I would set up a SuperPAC and spend gobs of money on hyper-targeted digital campaigns aimed at suppressing enthusiasm among key elements of Trump's base. Give all kinds of messages to evangelicals about what a horrible person he is, how he's admitted never asking God for forgiveness, etc.. Remind veterans of how he treated John McCain, La David Johnson and Humayan Khan, pardoned war criminals, etc. The point isn't to win those people over the Democratic side -- though if it happens, great -- it's to make them a little less excited about volunteering for him, talking him up to their friends, and ultimately, voting for him. I would keep the whole thing under the radar (maybe that is the case and the campaign is already happening, in which case, bravo!) and focus on simple, direct messages delivered by members of that group.

The 2018 elections demonstrated that there is a highly energized anti-Trump constituency out there, but also that there is a big pro-Trump one. That was what allowed Republicans to defeat Democratic incumbents in red states like MO, IN and ND. We have a family friend who ran against a GOP incumbent in a reddish-purple district in Florida. She told me her campaign exceeded all the voter targets of the last Democrat to win the seat, in 2014. But the incumbent still beat her by 8 points.

Point being, Trump is going to be coming hard after our base voters. We need to be prepared to return the favor.

If were a liberal billionaire, I would set up a SuperPAC and spend gobs of money on hyper-targeted digital campaigns aimed at suppressing enthusiasm among key elements of Trump's base. Give all kinds of messages to evangelicals about what a horrible person he is, how he's admitted never asking God for forgiveness, etc.. Remind veterans of how he treated John McCain, La David Johnson and Humayan Khan, pardoned war criminals, etc. The point isn't to win those people over the Democratic side -- though if it happens, great -- it's to make them a little less excited about volunteering for him, talking him up to their friends, and ultimately, voting for him.
The problem is that these particular topics are not likely to alienate the average Trump-supporting veteran.

Users who are viewing this thread