What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter and Elon Musk (2 Viewers)

If you ran Twitter, what would you do?

• Total voters
When I suggested this was shaping up to be another attention craving stunt like he pulled with Bitcoin, I only had a sample size of one. Two in a row confirms he's not only an attention whore, but shoots first, aims later on sizable investment opportunities. Being called an idiot is warranted to some degree.

When I suggested this was shaping up to be another attention craving stunt like he pulled with Bitcoin, I only had a sample size of one. Two in a row confirms he's not only an attention whore, but shoots first, aims later on sizable investment opportunities. Being called an idiot is warranted to some degree.
Not exactly a new phase here either.  Lots of people called this from the beginning.

If pissing away a cool billion or more for some stupid ego trip to satisfy your Brobots doesn't qualify as an idiot...

I think Elon loved the attention he got from his offer, and figured owning Twitter could make him a lot of money, especially if people were gonna run out and buy any DooDooCoin he mentions. 

Then I think he realized buying for that number really didn't make any sense, like ALOT of people thought. But, none of them had rocket ships, so LOL to them dummies. 

Twitter gonna take him to court, and they've already laid the groundwork to disprove his central argument (but the bots, there's so many!). 

He's in for a rough ride, no way he just eats a billion and walks away. 

:goodposting: It was a joke that went too far.  Still, this was really dumb.  I guess it would be comparable to a DWI for those of us who aren't billionaires.  

I think Elon loved the attention he got from his offer, and figured owning Twitter could make him a lot of money, especially if people were gonna run out and buy any DooDooCoin he mentions. 

Then I think he realized buying for that number really didn't make any sense, like ALOT of people thought. But, none of them had rocket ships, so LOL to them dummies. 

Twitter gonna take him to court, and they've already laid the groundwork to disprove his central argument (but the bots, there's so many!). 

He's in for a rough ride, no way he just eats a billion and walks away. 

Yes, this argument is a strange one considering Twitter had been making announcements for years about removing bots.  Plus "likes", or whatever they're called on Twitter, by bots is actually detrimental to their business model.  If advertisers expect a certain number of eyeballs on a placement they can make reasonable predictions on what the response is going to be in the form of sales.  If the users aren't real, it's going to become apparent really fast and that's bad for Twitter. 

Let’s really unhinge the left and have Musk run for president.
I am pretty sure that the left would love it if Musk used his playbook to run for president.

First, he'd collect millions of dollars from fervent conservative supporters.

Then, halfway through the campaign he'd start dropping hints that he didn't really want to be president after all.

Then, he'd drop out of the race at the last minute, leaving Republicans holding the bag.

Then, he'd pay $1 billion to the Democrat who won.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1418091/000119312522120474/d310843ddefa14a.htm

His termination letter references section 6.4 “access to information” clause and the 10b-5 claim @krista4 wrote about back in May. You can see that section gives twitter broad discretion. It’s a really hard claim, but it’s also hard to get a Delaware court to enforce a specific performance clause. It will be interesting. I would think a lawsuit will be filed by one of them on Monday and it will be an expedited proceeding. 

Here’s the termination notice.  https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1418091/000110465922078413/tm2220599d1_ex99-p.htm

I haven’t read the notice (busy setting up wikkid memorials), but if he’s using the 10b-5 claim, then I think Maurile is right that he’s not interested in buying anymore, rather than trying to get a better price.

I think everyone is an idiot in numerous ways (obviously including me, less obviously including Musk, but still including him).
I’d put a “good posting” on this except it might mean I’m saying you’re an idiot.   :lmao:  

Musk seems like a brilliant idea man and might have all sorts of other smarts, too.  I have no idea on his history of M&A or whether he’s done a lot of successful acquisitions, JVs, etc.  In this instance I think he’s performed poorly.

Has the purchase agreement been made public?  I’d be interested to take a look. In my experience, Delaware Courts generally enforce contracts in accordance with their terms and are less concerned about public policy considerations or issues of fairness. 

Will there be specific performance?

My viewpoint is doubtful. Too many people are focusing on the issue that Musk doesn't stand a good chance to show material breach. The problem there is no one is looking at the long con.

Birchall already compromised the Delaware courts over Solar City. That was a completely reckless black bag op and still no one wanted to go within a million feet of cornering Musk. The quiet part needs to be spoken out loud - Twitter was never designed as a traditional business. It was a dedicated media arm for Team Blue. Nothing about Twitter's internal structure and user engagement and it's policies speak to otherwise.  The other factor is the Democrats, particularly the hard left, went to war with the Jewish establishment. There's no other tactical assessment of that decision other than utter stupidity. Combined with the Military Industrial Complex seeing Musk as their favored son and this is too much leverage to overcome.

The GOP will take the House in the Mid Terms. So where's the short con? Parag Agrawal and Vijaya Gadde are worth more alive to the Republicans and worth more dead to the radical left. Team Blue doesn't want those two in a position to cut a deal to save themselves.

The narrative being sold in the MSM is Elon Musk is not above the law. LOL. You and I have been lawyers for too long to actually believe that anymore. Birchall has his fist up so far the back end of the Chancery that it's going to start to look like a prostate exam soon.

How this ends up will be less about Musk, less about bots and less about Section 230 and more about Team Blue's fervent insistence to be completely Antisemitic as a form of political and policy self sabotage. Did the establishment Democrats really think the Jewish power base in America was going to tolerate having Jack Dorsey rubbed in their faces? 

Too many loose ends. Someone is going to get picked off.

I’d put a “good posting” on this except it might mean I’m saying you’re an idiot.   :lmao:  

Musk seems like a brilliant idea man and might have all sorts of other smarts, too.  I have no idea on his history of M&A or whether he’s done a lot of successful acquisitions, JVs, etc.  In this instance I think he’s performed poorly.

You are looking in the right direction and the wrong direction at the same time.

Assessing motive is like a triangle. The first two dots are Lyndon Rive and then Brian Harrison of Solyndra. You're smarter than any other lawyer in these forums, clearly three times as smart as I am. I'll leave you to it to piece together the third dot.

I do like the angle that Twitter is trying to sue to make Elon stick to the deal. I'd imagine they would have to prove his claim that a large portion of their user base are not bots if they took it that far. 

Twitter is the social media version of Enron. It's built on lies and careful manipulation of those lies to keep the thing going. Will be interesting to watch the collapse. 

I do like the angle that Twitter is trying to sue to make Elon stick to the deal. I'd imagine they would have to prove his claim that a large portion of their user base are not bots if they took it that far. 

Musk declined his right of due diligence so any claim is moot. 

Twitter is the social media version of Enron. It's built on lies and careful manipulation of those lies to keep the thing going. Will be interesting to watch the collapse. 
I imagine their goal is not to force him to complete the purchase, but to get a payout for its shareholders. If Twitter rid themselves of Musk and got a big payout then I think the board and executive would view that as a win/win. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think that would be an element of Twitter's cause of action for specific performance -- i.e., I don't think they'd have to prove anything about bots.

The biggest obstacle to specific performance, I think, would be establishing that monetary damages are an insufficient remedy. That seems like a hard sell since monetary damages seem like the most obviously appropriate remedy at first blush.

I imagine their goal is not to force him to complete the purchase, but to get a payout for its shareholders. If Twitter rid themselves of Musk and got a big payout then I think the board and executive would view that as a win/win. 

I don't think they'd view it as a win for Musk. (Sorry, I'm being pedantic.)

Isn't that why he pays good lawyers?

Isn't that why he pays good lawyers?

He has fantastic lawyers, but that's beside the point if he isn't taking their advice.  I get the idea that he doesn't listen to them as much as he should, likely because he is brilliant in other realms and thinks that will automatically translate to knowing what's best here.  Lawyers can't be the ultimate decision-makers on anything, and in particular in the M&A world there are very few areas where we would say "absolutely no" (mostly surrounding fraud and the like).  All we can do is give advice, but it's his decision whether to take that.  Any lawyer here will tell you that clients often do not.

The biggest problem in this instance was thinking that Twitter was worth $54.20 a share, which isn't really a legal issue.

I'd say that plus declining to perform any due diligence in advance of signing the agreement.  To the point above, it is a stone-cold, iron-clad, other-trite-expression guarantee that his lawyers advised him not to do that, but he went his own way.

They would not have to prove anything. He would have to, he's the one making the claim. 

Bloomberg article on Elon/Twitter

“Is it fun for him? If he manages to walk away having spent only millions in financing fees, millions in legal fees and say $1 billion in termination fees, was it worth it? What did he get out of this? The guy really seems to like being on Twitter, and he did make himself the main character in Twitter's drama for months on end. That’s nice for him I guess. Also he made the lives of Twitter’s executives and employees pretty miserable; as a fellow Twitter addict I can kind of see the appeal of that? I always assume that “everyone who works at Twitter hates the product and its users,” and I suppose this is a case of the richest and weirdest user getting some revenge on the employees. He also gave himself an excuse to sell a bunch of Tesla stock near the highs. He maybe got an edit button too? Maybe that’s worth a billion dollars to him?”

Don't think so. 

Just one more way the Supreme Court refuses to see itself as accountable to the American people.

After this post I posted another reply in the context of the discussion that read:

At this point we have to just assume that Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas will literally just vote for anything Republicans want. We're like two liberal justice deaths away from re-segregated schools.

This post got me a 5 week suspension from the boards.  The @FBG Moderator asked me to "stop the condescending trolling if you come back."

If anyone can provide a reasonable explanation of who this somewhat hyperbolic (but not overly so!) criticism of the Court was condescendingly trolling, I will give $100 to the charity of your choice.

@Joe Bryant, you'd asked me why I thought you didn't like me. Others have asked why I left the first time. Hopefully this answers both questions. You gave guys who made a string of racist jokes about Native Americans in an Elizabeth Warren thread 12 hour bans and allowed a running thread of people insulting your fellow FBGs and their trans children to go on for months, and you gave me 5 weeks for ... honestly I'm not sure what.

Bloomberg article on Elon/Twitter

“Is it fun for him? If he manages to walk away having spent only millions in financing fees, millions in legal fees and say $1 billion in termination fees, was it worth it? What did he get out of this? The guy really seems to like being on Twitter, and he did make himself the main character in Twitter's drama for months on end. That’s nice for him I guess. Also he made the lives of Twitter’s executives and employees pretty miserable; as a fellow Twitter addict I can kind of see the appeal of that? I always assume that “everyone who works at Twitter hates the product and its users,” and I suppose this is a case of the richest and weirdest user getting some revenge on the employees. He also gave himself an excuse to sell a bunch of Tesla stock near the highs. He maybe got an edit button too? Maybe that’s worth a billion dollars to him?”

I really couldn't care less about this story - I spend little time on Twitter and don't care about Musk.  But I am fascinated by the idea of what would I do if I was as rich as Musk.  "What did he get out of it?"  Not sure but he probably doesn't care.  Hell, I might do something really #####-ish like buy the sports team I hate the most and then just run them poorly so they never win.  Is it possible to buy UGA football?

I really couldn't care less about this story - I spend little time on Twitter and don't care about Musk.  But I am fascinated by the idea of what would I do if I was as rich as Musk.  "What did he get out of it?"  Not sure but he probably doesn't care.  Hell, I might do something really #####-ish like buy the sports team I hate the most and then just run them poorly so they never win.  Is it possible to buy UGA football?

I've wondered what would happen if he decided he wanted to make PR points in Austin and put $100 million a year into the University of Texas Football NIL fund. 

After this post I posted another reply in the context of the discussion that read:

This post got me a 5 week suspension from the boards.  The @FBG Moderator asked me to "stop the condescending trolling if you come back."

If anyone can provide a reasonable explanation of who this somewhat hyperbolic (but not overly so!) criticism of the Court was condescendingly trolling, I will give $100 to the charity of your choice.

@Joe Bryant, you'd asked me why I thought you didn't like me. Others have asked why I left the first time. Hopefully this answers both questions. You gave guys who made a string of racist jokes about Native Americans in an Elizabeth Warren thread 12 hour bans and allowed a running thread of people insulting your fellow FBGs and their trans children to go on for months, and you gave me 5 weeks for ... honestly I'm not sure what.

Joe has been fairly consistent in not wanting us to use a death or potential death in making points.  Kind of like that thread GG started about what Chuck Todd said.  I think Joe would say to avoid those types of comments.  Even theorizing about it.

If this is $100 worthy then please give it to biggie.  ;)  

AAABatteries said:
Joe has been fairly consistent in not wanting us to use a death or potential death in making points.  Kind of like that thread GG started about what Chuck Todd said.  I think Joe would say to avoid those types of comments.  Even theorizing about it.

If this is $100 worthy then please give it to biggie.  ;)  

I still don't follow.  Is the rule "don't mention anyone dying?"  It's not like I was wishing for it or something. I was contemplating the deaths of quite possibly the last three people in America I'd want to lose if there was a Republican in the White House, other than family and friends!*  Also, even if there's a rule that we can't mention the role of death in politics or something, I still don't see how it's "condescending trolling."

I appreciate the effort though, and I don't want to welch on charitable giving, so I'll say $50 to the best failed effort. I don't get the biggie joke though.

*Realized after posting that Juan Soto should also be on this list.

I still don't follow.  Is the rule "don't mention anyone dying?"  It's not like I was wishing for it or something. I was contemplating the deaths of quite possibly the last three people in America I'd want to lose if there was a Republican in the White House, other than family and friends!*  Also, even if there's a rule that we can't mention the role of death in politics or something, I still don't see how it's "condescending trolling."

I appreciate the effort though, and I don't want to welch on charitable giving, so I'll say $50 to the best failed effort. I don't get the biggie joke though.

*Realized after posting that Juan Soto should also be on this list.

I'm not saying you were trolling with your comment so I'm not really answering your question - but, as an aside I do think you troll folks on the right.  I don't really care but then again I'm not a mod and don't have to clean up things.  You're obviously a smart guy and I think I end up agreeing with several of your positions but your posting style is just begging to get TOs.  Just stating my observation.

Specifically on the death topic though - there's been numerous times where I was going to say something in the ballpark of what was discussed by Todd - but I know Joe wouldn't want that discussion so I avoid it.

As for biggie - wasn't a joke, I was just saying if you thought it was worthy to give the money to BigBottoms charity.

Me neither.

Rightly or wrongly it's been this way for a while.  I distinctly remember Joe (or some mod) getting on folks during RGB's heath issues.  I think if phrased properly you can tip-toe around such discussion.

Also, I may be wrong in my assessment - could be Tobias got nicked for accumulation - kind of like in soccer.

Rightly or wrongly it's been this way for a while.  I distinctly remember Joe (or some mod) getting on folks during RGB's heath issues.  I think if phrased properly you can tip-toe around such discussion.

Also, I may be wrong in my assessment - could be Tobias got nicked for accumulation - kind of like in soccer.
The mod said condescending.

What in that post was condescending?

Users who are viewing this thread