What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Updated: When does Randall Cobb become a must start WR again? (1 Viewer)

I think one more awful week. Then he should start producing again. Can't see a ton of point in this game. And Josh Norman is likely to be on him. 4 catches for 42 yards wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'll likely only start him if the matchup is better than my other receivers. They are all decent enough to warrant thought. Unfortunate he isn't the set and forget I was hoping. But the entire offense has been struggling so it remains to be seen if they'll turn it on as the season progresses.

Does Norman lock up on him this week? I'm hurting with BYE's this week, have to start him.
I was under the impression that Norman does not typically cover the slot receiver so there's a good chance he doesn't match up over Cobb. So for those thinking better things are ahead I think NOW is the time to trade for him because if he has a good game this week (because Norman is on Jones or Adams) then the window may close.

He won't get Norman this week. I think this is probably the best time to buy low because a bounce back against Carolina wouln't surprise me.

He is still hurting and will be all year, and as I thought when Nelson went out (with quite a few people strongly disagreeing) he would struggle and not do as well as last year. The shoulder is part of that though.

Outside of one big game against a crappy team, he hasn't done jack all year. Very disappointing.

Yes, this is a great time to buy. He should be a low end WR-1 moving forward next year.

As for the rest of this year, your guess is as good as mine. WHo knows.

If eother Hurns or Stevie Johnson is healthy this week, I will bench Cobb with confidence in a PPR. I don't believe Cobb is a must start, depending on your other options.

He looked fine physically vs Denver coming off the bye. That defense was primed to destroy GB. He should be fine moving forward but probably not the upside envisioned preseason

He is still hurting and will be all year
Link?
I dont need a link, I know he sprained his AC joint right? That lingers.
If this were the case, I don't see why he fully practiced all week. Especially since they hardly have any depth at this point.
It wont keep him from practicing or playing. Its not his leg. He can run and do everything in practice and not make it worse.

Think jimmy graham a couple years ago. Same injury. It limits your catch radius.

Anyone who says he's not a must sit at this point is pipe dreaming. Sit him with confidence until he proves he can get it done as the #1 option.

That said, he's going to be on my 2016 priority list since his ADP is likely to plummet after this season. That is unless of course he turns it around and has a monster second half.

Green Bay was embarrassed last week. The whole team is going to come out firing against Carolina. Not to mention this has tie breaking implications for home field advantage in the playoffs. Cobb will be part of their resurgence.

On my bench for Ben Watson until Watson shows me a reason not to play him and Cobb shows me a reason to play him.

I can understand sitting him until he proves, but I'm feeling decent that they'll get him chances out of the slot this week, especially with Norman and Tillman on the outside. I haven't seen any evidence that the injury is lingering. While it may have been a bad sprain, it's been a pretty substantial amount of time now.

Prolly sitting him for Watkins if Watkins plays. I'm playing a must win game and just not sure I can trust him until he proves it

Green Bay's been in a mini funk of late. He will snap out of it in a big way soon and it's not going to be on the bench for some scrub.

Green Bay's been in a mini funk of late. He will snap out of it in a big way soon and it's not going to be on the bench for some scrub.
I agree. He's still Cobb. He's still on gb with arodg throwing him the ball. The schedule gets easier after this week. Still a tough matchup this week so assuming you have a decent option with a good matchup it's another good week to sit him. He COULD break out this week but it's not likely in a tough matchup.

I would not sit him this week. GB will get things rolling at Carolina, and Norman will not be covering Cobb most of the time. Norman typically does not cover slot receivers and it will be Bené Benwikere most likely covering him. He is absolutely beatable with Rodgers throwing the ball.

Starting Amari Cooper and Martavis Bryant over him, it's to the point where he has to blow up on my bench before I let him back in

Think Cobb has a good week.

Norman won't go into the slot.

GB can't just sit on a lead against Carolina on the road like they've done most of the year against lesser competition.

I'm starting him with confidence. I just traded Latavius Murray for him a week and a half ago.

I drafted this dude in 2 leagues as my #2WR, in a start 3 WR league. How bad could it get right?

I mentioned it in another thread, here is what I said...

"Seriously, if someone had been a soothsayer and told you that Jordy Nelson would go down immediately, Davante Adams would miss significant time, and the Pack would be unbeaten through 6 weeks.................... then I don't think you could blame someone for picking Cobb top 3-5 in drafts.
To think I loved his potential only a couple weeks into the season."

I don't get it. Looking back at everything that has transpired, even adding in a "mediocre at best" running game so far, this guy should be lighting it up.

He realistically won owners ONE GAME in week 3, and in weeks 1 and 2 he was fair.

He has basically been as bad as almost any random waiver wire guy weeks 4-8.

I'm starting him in one "start 3 WR" league, and in the other he is benched. (in favor of Julio/Allen Robinson and Martavis Bryant)

I will watch him closely this week, and if I don't see a bit of a turnaround, then I will promptly try and get Kamar Aiken for him, and not think twice.

Aiken should have a 5-6 point floor through volume alone.

I am starting to think his injury was far worse, and more bothersome when he played than we were led to believe.

Perhaps he just "gutted it out" for the team since Jordy was gone so soon.

He is literally one more game from being outright cut in my "start 3 WR leagues"..... something we would have thought was ridiculous before the season started.

He almost HAS to turn it around, its been so bad.

For someone that has actually played, he is easily among the biggest busts of the year.

In fact, had it not been for his three TD explosion in week 3, he likely would have already been on the wire most everywhere.

Lets hope he turns it around.

TZM

anyone saying he is hurt didnt watch the denver game, he fully laid out on one catch and got up pounding his chest at the sideline saying throw me the f'ing ball. he was getting decent separation throughout the night and one play got completely free on a blown coverage with nothing but green ahead of him... rodgers threw it 10 feet over his head. cobb came ready to play it was rodgers that had issues. he was hearing footsteps all night and had no confidence in his OL and his self.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone saying he is hurt didnt watch the denver game, he fully laid out on one catch and got up pounding his chest at the sideline saying throw me the f'ing ball. he was getting decent separation throughout the night and one play got completely free on a blown coverage with nothing but green ahead of him... rodgers threw it 10 feet over his head. cobb came ready to play it was rodgers that had issues. he was hearing footsteps all night and had no confidence in his OL and his self.
This. Dude is a serious buy low right now. Injury>bye>Denver dst. After this week he's gonna light it up

Jack White said:
I'm starting 5 WRs this week, and Cobb is one of them.

If you're starting 2-3 WRs and have better options, benching him is certainly an option.
I can start up too five WR's because of flex options. fwiw, Cobb used to be my WR2 (defacto starter) Technically, I only need to start two WR's

However, my WR's have been so strong that it just makes more sense to start upwards of five myself..

Stompin said:
I think most who own Cobb are disappointed, but likely not benching him unless you have another consistent WR1 instead. As mentioned, benching is an option, but would imagine leaving those potential points on the bench is harder even with Cobb's failure to live up to expectations this year.
I appreciate your guys taking the time too explain your thoughts.

The title of the thread is must start.. Id say that effective for Sunday, he is not a must start. (imho)

Now, its still possible I should have chosen Cobb over both Hill and Benjamin (ugg 10 points total) in a Big points return League..

But now its Brown, Beckham, Evans, and Miller.. I guess Id just like too see what Langford does in my lineup..

heck, Ive already told some Packer fans to watch Cobb light things up! Because he is on my bench...

p.s. Honestly, I will enjoy watching some of DaBears game knowing my RB is in the game.. Technically, I just play FF for FUN, so I do consider things which make it more fun.. lol

I edited the title to be more appropriate now since we can now all agree that Cobb, as it stands right now, is NOT a must start wr. Not in 3 wr leagues and certainly not in 2 wr leagues.

He's maybe flex worthy this week depending on your other options.

But I'm also seeing some gross over reaction to the downside on him I this thread which makes me also agree he is a prime buy low.

One guy above talking about dropping him or trading him for Lamar Aiken if he doesn't produce this week.

He's playing Carolina! Very tough pass defense. There's a high probability that he sucks again for one more week and then wakes up starting week 10. If you're going to drop or trade him at least wait until after week 10 to do that. If he sucks still after week 10 then ok something's really really wrong.

Jmho

Weeks 4-7 it would be interesting to see who has been doing the scoring in GB. Like someone said above, Nelson out, Adams out, Lacy doing zip, 6-1 team, Rodgers at the helm, its hard to believe he hasnt done more, but mostly its the lack of TDs. Obviously Jones has had flurries of scores. It's been a bad 2 week stretch, coming out of this game the offense needs to refind it's identity. I do think using Janis as a field stretcher would help, but if not him a new wrinkle of some kind would help free up Cobb. That and improved matchups which are coming.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Green Bay was embarrassed last week. The whole team is going to come out firing against Carolina. Not to mention this has tie breaking implications for home field advantage in the playoffs. Cobb will be part of their resurgence.
This is how I see it too, with my totally optomistic green and gold tinted glasses on.

Green Bay will definitely be playing with a grudge, it's just a question of whether or not they will be able to execute. I think so.

Here's hoping Cobb has just been saving all his fantasy points for the second half of the season.

He never left "must start" status.

Just because he has a few sub-par games doesn't mean you start benching him going forward. You can't get those points back from prior weeks.

If you're benching the #1 WR, who has tons of talent and a historically good QB throwing to him just because he had a few slow weeks, you need a new hobby. Or go play DFS where panic doesn't hurt you as much.

Well according to PFF, Norman has played 2% of snaps in the slot. Cobb has played 91% of snaps in the slot. The 2% of snaps Norman has played includes a game against the Eagles, a team that was trotting out Jordan Matthews, Miles Austin, Josh Huff, and Riley Cooper as it's receiving corps. If there was ever a game this year where Norman should've went into the slot it would've been against the Eagles.

I'm going to go with what has actually been happening this year vs. random speculation from a NFL.com writer.

He never left "must start" status.

Just because he has a few sub-par games doesn't mean you start benching him going forward. You can't get those points back from prior weeks.

If you're benching the #1 WR, who has tons of talent and a historically good QB throwing to him just because he had a few slow weeks, you need a new hobby. Or go play DFS where panic doesn't hurt you as much.
If that were the case, people should have been starting CJ Anderson and Jeremy Hill all year too. The way things look at the beginning of the year aren't necessarily the way they turn out. You have to look at trends and data and make a decision each week. There are many factors that go into it. With Nelson out, teams are able to more heavily concentrate on Cobb. Plus, the Green Bay offense isn't hitting on all cylinders like it once was. And who knows if the shoulder injury is having an adverse affect. I bet a lot of teams are hurting right now because of 4 weeks of Cobb giving them 4.5 points from their WR1 spot. You obviously aren't benching him for a Hartline or Agholar. But if someone Diggs or has Rishard Matthews or Eric Decker on their bench, then they most certainly should be benching Cobb.

Users who are viewing this thread