What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (4 Viewers)

My take away... Chris Richards always looks like he's a giant kid wearing a Prince costume mustache to try to buy up at 7/11.

Freaking Weah though. Danger every time he gets forward.... especially with Dest Chuckie-Cheesing it next to him.

Eta... And omg that chest to flick back over the man into space to himself... Abondanza!

The 8 quarter finalists for Nations League are US, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama, Honduras, and T&T. The US is likely to play one of the last 4 teams I listed in the QF's but need to wait until the October rankings are complete.

The US will play in a 2 game series in the QF's for the right to qualify for Copa America in 2024.

If they lose this series, they will still have one more chance to qualify but lets not even consider that. Qualifying for Copa America should be paramount next month.

Both games of the series will be played in late November.

I am not sure when the draw will happen.

I am ashamed to say I had the identical thought during the second half :bag:

======================

watke

@watke_

Only real negative was our ball children were getting the ball to Ghana too fast on their throw ins. I understand, big lead, just a friendly, but it's about building habits and treating every rep like it's the world cup
I thought it too.

This is what a pay to play country looks against straight class. We need to do better as usual.
While this was once a BIG issue, it no longer is the case.

Many of our players like Musah, Balogun, Dest, Jedi, CCV, Lund, Johnny etc etc all were developed abroad. Some like Gio and Pulisic left very early to go to Europe. And the rest all mostly come from the academy system which is free to play for all MLS sides and I believe most of the USL sides as well.

There may be a very rare player like Turner who does not focus on soccer early that breaks through later but going forward, the vast vast majority of US Nats will either be dual nats or academy players who moved up and went pro.
I meant its all the rich kids in youth we push up (as a country), because they can pay for it.
like who?
Six to twelve year old to begin with. It's worse than ever.
that sucks.

worse than ever... I kinda doubt, given what andy's mentioned regarding academies and the guys we're seeing on the national team.

when he and I were coming up, definitely. no kids of color anywhere- all middle class suburban kids. and even the city kids were mostly kids with money and means... even if a kid with ethnic background. district, state, regional and national youth teams... all middle class, primarily white. watching our youth setup for the last bunch of years- that's changed in a big way with loads more hispanic and black kids. maybe they're all middle class who can pay for it? I dunno.

we had to take our kid out of soccer as it was just too expensive.

league fees and travel costs (gas/food/hotels) was just insane. he wasn't going to be great or anything, but we make 140k and couldn't afford it.
I was at my daughter's tennis clinic tonight watching money go down the drain. I feel your pain there.... and try tennis if you want to really set fire to your income.
I'm afraid my daughter is going to want to play volleyball...
Mine does. Freshman on JV and Club. At least the parents behave on the sidelines, unlike most of the other sports.

The 8 quarter finalists for Nations League are US, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama, Honduras, and T&T. The US is likely to play one of the last 4 teams I listed in the QF's but need to wait until the October rankings are complete.

The US will play in a 2 game series in the QF's for the right to qualify for Copa America in 2024.

If they lose this series, they will still have one more chance to qualify but lets not even consider that. Qualifying for Copa America should be paramount next month.

Both games of the series will be played in late November.

I am not sure when the draw will happen.
Not a draw.

Quarter-finals[edit]​

The first legs will be played on 16 and 17 November, and the second legs will be played on 20 and 21 November 2023.

Team 1Agg.Tooltip Aggregate scoreTeam 21st leg2nd leg
Fourth ranked seeded teamQF1Best ranked group winner16–17 Nov20–21 Nov
Third ranked seeded teamQF2Worst ranked group winner16–17 Nov20–21 Nov
Second ranked seeded teamQF3Best ranked group runner-up16–17 Nov20–21 Nov
First ranked seeded teamQF4Worst ranked group runner-up16–17 Nov20–21 Nov

I believe we play Honduras

Member AssociationTricodePositionPoints+/-13226.pngMexicoMEX1,954-1321269.pngUnited StatesUSA1,917+1331268.pngCanadaCAN1,738047755.pngPanamaPAN1,723+454968.pngCosta RicaCRC1,676-1065021.pngJamaicaJAM1,530+874970.pngHaitiHAI1,457-384969.pngGuatemalaGUA1,449+2898120.pngHondurasHON1,407-17104966.pngTrinidad & TobagoTRI1,334+66115009.pngMartiniqueMTQ1,298+1012

How is that we are ranked ahead of Mexico in the Fifa rankings but behind them in Concacaf ? Is there bonus points for homophobic chanting fans in Concacaf? Is it just because we mailed in the Gold Cup with our C lineup ?

How is that we are ranked ahead of Mexico in the Fifa rankings but behind them in Concacaf ? Is there bonus points for homophobic chanting fans in Concacaf? Is it just because we mailed in the Gold Cup with our C lineup ?
The only thing I can think of besides the formulas being different is that there are 6 CONCACAF teams that are not FIFA members and it throws things off a bit.

Looks like it will be T&T for the matchup to get into Copa America

===================

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Concacaf rankings for Oct, which affects Nations League seeding for teams receiving byes to quarterfinals, are now locked in:

1. MEX 2. USA 3. CAN 4. CRC

Qualifiers, in order of points: PAN, JAM, TRI, HON

So as discussed last night, we're expecting these two-leg matchups next month:

MEX v HON
USA v TRI
CAN v JAM
CRC v PAN

Hmm, a must win (set of games) against T&T you say?
lets hope they don't have a flooded field again :bag:

I don't know what order the games are in but I assume we would travel there for the first leg...

It will be our first visit to T&T since the fateful night, assuming the matchups are correct once Concacaf announces them.

The only thing I can think of besides the formulas being different is that there are 6 CONCACAF teams that are not FIFA members and it throws things off a bit.
Of note, Mexico got a draw against Germany yesterday, 2-2.

I was just looking at their recent schedule and, since the World Cup they've actually been on a good run of form. 13 total matches (7 friendlies and 6 Gold Cup). Only 1 loss out of 13 (1-0 to Qatar in the Gold Cup). 5 draws and 7 wins (5 in the Gold Cup).

Better than I expected to see.

Chukwueze looks like he may miss up to a month for Milan. Pulisic may be getting even more time.
I was going to 'like' this, but I don't want to celebrate an injury. Hope CP takes advantage of this opportunity.
I actually see this as a bit of a problem. I don't want Pulisic playing every game given his injury history. I doubt Milan does either. Pulisic had firmly established himself above Chukwueze and I didn't see that changing anytime soon.

Chukwueze looks like he may miss up to a month for Milan. Pulisic may be getting even more time.
I was going to 'like' this, but I don't want to celebrate an injury. Hope CP takes advantage of this opportunity.
I actually see this as a bit of a problem. I don't want Pulisic playing every game given his injury history. I doubt Milan does either. Pulisic had firmly established himself above Chukwueze and I didn't see that changing anytime soon.
Also, I was hopeful that he might get some run at LW or the 10 for at least a game or two. With Chukwueze out you'd think that locks him in at RW for all of his minutes.

Also, I was hopeful that he might get some run at LW or the 10 for at least a game or two. With Chukwueze out you'd think that locks him in at RW for all of his minutes.
Interestingly enough, Weah prefers the left side. I wonder how it would work with him on the left and Pulisic on the right.

So how are we feeling about the team after this set of games?

Obviously our goals are higher than ever before now, and we want to be in a place where we regularly go toe to toe with teams like Germany (who themselves haven't been going toe to toe with the best teams in Europe). I think we clearly failed on that front this weekend. That game could have easily been 5-1 or 7-1, and while the first half was better than the 2nd, several of those wide open opportunities they didn't finish were in the first half as well. Is Adams THIS important to the team where we essentially can't play like we did against England without him?

Then we flip it around the next game and look amazing against Ghana. Obviously this isn't peak Ghana, but they're still a WC quality team and we just went up 3-0 against them in the 1st half, something we haven't done against a non-Concacaf team since the 90's.

So where does that leave us? Are Reyna/Dest just dominant when we're on the front foot, but need to be on the bench when we're not? If so, do we have enough offense and creativity against the good teams? It seems like the hope here is that we're not just a turtle and counter team against the top teams anymore, but if we're taking guys like Reyna and Dest off it seems like that's what we'd be going for.

Also lots of talk about Puli/Dest/Reyna/etc this weekend, but is it just me or was Turner freaking amazing? He had one near gaff with the ball at his feet, but his distribution other than that was actually really good, which is typically a weakness. And is it just me, or was his shot stopping just absurd? He obviously had that one great save against Ghana, but how many times was he essentially 1v1 against Germany against a guy with a wide open shot and he came up with the save? Probably 4 or 5 times.

Feels like over the past few months, the gap between our best players and our backups has widened, to the point where I think an ideal 22/23 man roster is now less obvious than it was.

Roughly speaking (and depends a bit on formations), here's my thinking...

Striker - Balogun definitely starts, Pepi tentatively backs him up (Sargent could challenge Pepi once healthy)
Wing - Pulisic and Weah definitely start. To me, Aaronson has played himself out of a firm role as one of the backups, although he's still in contention. Actually seems like we're pretty thin here right now. Definitely want us to give Taylor Booth a real shot once he's healthy. Last November, he was the Eredivisie player of the month...and then followed that up with a January game that was described as 'career defining' at the time. Not really sure who else is in contention for the backup spots.
10 - Gio starts. Tillman backs him up.
8 - Musah and McKennie. Based on what I've seen of Musah lately (including AC Milan games), I'd lean towards starting him, but really depends on who else is in the lineup.
6 - Adams starts when healthy (although I'm good with Musah and McKennie when we expect to dominate possession, with Adams on the bench available to protect leads). No idea who his backup is. Johnny didn't really do anything wrong yesterday, but I thought the game was a missed opportunity for him and he just looks a bit shaky to me. Maloney didn't play for long enough to make an impression one way or the other. What is Kellyn Acosta up to these days?
LB - Jedi starts. Right now I have Lund penciled in. His technical skills seem weak, but it also seems as though he's really smart about compensating for that. Wouldn't mind moving Scally over here as the back-up, except it's not like we have a great backup at RB either.
RB - Dest starts. Scally backs him up. Maybe try swapping those roles if we expect to be unable to control possession?
CB - Richards clearly starts. Ream starts, but maybe has a short leash, since it appears that age may finally be catching up to him. CCV and Miles are the backups.
G - Turner starts. I guess Horvath is the backup right now, but I view that spot as wide open.

several of those wide open opportunities they didn't finish were in the first half as well.
We missed a couple of first half opportunities as well. Shortly before his goal, Pulisic basically had the goalie one on one and was stopped

Balogun missed a relatively easy opportunity off of a cross

Interestingly enough, Weah prefers the left side. I wonder how it would work with him on the left and Pulisic on the right.
That's an interesting thought. Pulisic has been getting some great chances off of Leao getting to the endline and putting in the cutback pass. Obviously Weah's no Leao, but maybe something similar could work?

Speaking of Weah, it seemed like Dest was in front of him for an awful lot of the 2nd half versus Ghana. Wasn't he playing RB for his club last year? I'm wondering if a partial solution to Dest's defensive lapses is to have Weah share some of the right side defensive responsibilities.

That's an interesting thought. Pulisic has been getting some great chances off of Leao getting to the endline and putting in the cutback pass. Obviously Weah's no Leao, but maybe something similar could work?
Here's the article, btw

What is Kellyn Acosta up to these days?
Finally! Someone else gets it!

He's probably too old now, but I liked what he brought to the team during the last WC qualifying cycle: work rate, solid coverage in midfield, nice touch on set pieces, and sublime ****housing skills. I think he belongs on the US's all CONCACAF squad. Maybe GGG should revisit having Acosta on the roster as a band-aid until another 6 emerges.

For better or worse, the US was better against Germany when playing a 10 as well. Going back to the dual 8s just made things worse. It was too open against Germany in the first half, but having Gio between the lines at least forced Germany to deal with a lot of problems. I think part of Copa America is figuring out just how good a team we can choose to play proactively against. Because even when he isn't at his absolute best, Gio causes some big problems for defenses just by occupying spaces that make them uncomfortable.

I think the other thing the Ghana game showed us is that it's not so much that "crossing" is bad (and I"m guilty of saying this myself). It's that aimless crossing with only one receiver in the box is bad. They made a concerted effort to have at least two runners in the box against Ghana, and it made a huge difference.

oh this is VERY interesting. The top seeds were allowed to choose whether to play at home first or away first in the Nations League quarter finals. The US chose to play at home first.

Here is the full schedule:

Thursday, November 16, 2023
United States vs Trinidad and Tobago
Costa Rica vs Panama
Friday, November 17, 2023
Jamaica vs Canada
Honduras vs Mexico
Monday, November 20, 2023
Trinidad and Tobago vs United States
Panama vs Costa Rica
Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Canada vs Jamaica
Mexico vs Honduras

Wing - Pulisic and Weah definitely start. To me, Aaronson has played himself out of a firm role as one of the backups, although he's still in contention. Actually seems like we're pretty thin here right now. Definitely want us to give Taylor Booth a real shot once he's healthy. Last November, he was the Eredivisie player of the month...and then followed that up with a January game that was described as 'career defining' at the time. Not really sure who else is in contention for the backup spots.
There are 3 guys I'd really like to see be given some time:

Kevin Paredes - he's had a few callups now but is only up to 2 caps. This seems a bit like Scally to me where a guy obviously needs chances but for some reason he never gets them. It's just weird to see Aaronson get a run out game after game but we've called Paredes in and gotten him 27 minutes total after two camps. We were up 4-0 and subbed out a wing. Is that not time to try someone new?

Luca Koleosho - I don't know what really happened here with the drama of his recruitment. Hopefully we do get him to switch because he's 19 and starting for Burnley and looking like he's going to be elite

Bernard Kamunga - remember the name.

Luca Koleosho - I don't know what really happened here with the drama of his recruitment.
I feel like a missed a story about this drama. Can you give a TL-DR?
Koleosho grew up in the US before moving to Spain to play for Espanol. Through parents he's eligible for Canada, Italy, and Nigeria. He had played in the USYNT setup and was part of the last U20 World Cup group. He was interviewed about his international options about a year and a half ago and it was pretty obvious he just wants to play for the US.

Then he got attention from Canada and was called up to their Senior team last summer and September. There was speculation they would put him on the World Cup squad. Then this spring instead of playing with our U20s and preparing for the U20 World Cup, he accepted a call to an Italy U19 camp and played in a cap tying event. Now he's supposedly making a one-time switch to the USA.

I think he's done a lot of this just to promote himself. Will he? Won't he? But if he'd have just sat tight he probably starts for our U20 side in that World Cup and probably would have had an option to play Gold Cup.

Luca Koleosho - I don't know what really happened here with the drama of his recruitment.
I feel like a missed a story about this drama. Can you give a TL-DR?
Koleosho grew up in the US before moving to Spain to play for Espanol. Through parents he's eligible for Canada, Italy, and Nigeria. He had played in the USYNT setup and was part of the last U20 World Cup group. He was interviewed about his international options about a year and a half ago and it was pretty obvious he just wants to play for the US.

Then he got attention from Canada and was called up to their Senior team last summer and September. There was speculation they would put him on the World Cup squad. Then this spring instead of playing with our U20s and preparing for the U20 World Cup, he accepted a call to an Italy U19 camp and played in a cap tying event. Now he's supposedly making a one-time switch to the USA.

I think he's done a lot of this just to promote himself. Will he? Won't he? But if he'd have just sat tight he probably starts for our U20 side in that World Cup and probably would have had an option to play Gold Cup.
oh, ok ty. I did not miss anything.

These days I don't consider this drama, it is just the life of a dual nat trying to find a solution.

Re: Koleosho, GGG has a habit of asking players to try out other NTs if they want. Seems like he tried Can and Italy and now wants to commit to US. Say what you want about GGG, he's good at getting these dual (tri, quad) nats.

Re: Koleosho, GGG has a habit of asking players to try out other NTs if they want. Seems like he tried Can and Italy and now wants to commit to US. Say what you want about GGG, he's good at getting these dual (tri, quad) nats.
Interesting theory. I hadn't heard that. Like a rumspringa for elite soccer talent.

Users who are viewing this thread