What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 02 2023 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

Thank you to all the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted. I can't get to everything, but I'll try.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Cousins vs Den or James Cook @ Mia

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

On to week 2!!

I always post results of my head-2-head choices for the previous week and keep a season long tally. I compare those results to the results if I used a coin toss instead.

I don't keep a tally when asked to choose between more than two players because I'm not sure how to score it and don't want to get into fractions to keep the tally.

Last Week I went 49-51-3 and the coin toss (i.e. randbetween) went 47-53-3

I'll start.

Full PPR with WR/TE as a combined position.

Need 1 WR & 1 Flex (RB, WR, TE)
Jahan Dotson @ Den
Zay Flowers @ Cin
Courtland Sutton v Wash
Darren Waller @ Ari
AJ Dillon @ ATL
D'Andre Swift v Min
Jaylen Warren v Cle

ATM I have it narrowed down to Flowers, Sutton & Waller for the WR & Flex spots.

a couple of injuries to watch for ya,
if Aaron Jones isn't ready with his hammy injury then I think it goes without saying, Dillon goes to the top of that list. nothing yet on him today.
If Gainwell news holds true and he is out Thursday then Swift certainly would be next in line over Penny imo, wouldn't put him ahead of Waller or Flowers but would consider ahead of Sutton. Gainwell with DNP tag today.

a couple of injuries to watch for ya,
if Aaron Jones isn't ready with his hammy injury then I think it goes without saying, Dillon goes to the top of that list. nothing yet on him today.
If Gainwell news holds true and he is out Thursday then Swift certainly would be next in line over Penny imo, wouldn't put him ahead of Waller or Flowers but would consider ahead of Sutton. Gainwell with DNP tag today.
Yeah, the Aaron Jones injury is the one to watch.

Swift? Ugh, Swift. SWIFT!!!!! :rant:

Here's one:
FPC scoring:
Who's my tight end this week:

D.Goedert vs Minn.(Thu)

S.LaPorta vs Sea.

Here's one:
FPC scoring:
Who's my tight end this week:

D.Goedert vs Minn.(Thu)

S.LaPorta vs Sea.
We all believe Goedert's usage this week was an outlier. Minnesota doesn't look to have a great defense and I think we are all anticipating a higher scoring game. FTR IIRC any suggestions Thursday night games are lower scoring have been debunked.

OTOH LaPorta looked pretty darn good for a rookie TE. I don't like he was 4th on the team in targets but he caught his fibe targets and has the look of someone Goff will look for to bail him out. I think he may see that volume consistently.

Tough call. I want to say LaPorta with a good home matchup but I'm going with Goedert and a bounce back game.

Goedert>LaPorta

full PPR mandatory TE
  • Pat Freiermuth v CLE
  • Sam LaPorta v SEA
Great, more TEs.

Freiremuth>LaPorta

Unless Mike Tomlin has completely shifted his coaching philosophy I have trouble believing guys like McFarland and [checks notes] Connor Heyward being consistent options in the passing game.

I just have a lot of faith in Tomlin to keep his guys focused and ready to face another tough defense and I see Pickett/Muth not missing on as many connections. I also think Muth is a pretty clear option near the goal line.

monitor Freiermuth in the practice reports; Pickett threw him a couple hospital balls over the middle, he got crunched & might be limited in his prep for Week 2

I’m going to preemptively say Jared Goff is an auto start in the home opener

More of a who to pick up vs hold. 12 team PPR.

Gus Edwards still on the wire. Would you drop any of the following for the Gus Bus:

* J. McKinnon - a dud last week, but he has Uge games. Hard to predict though.
* Z. Moss - Could be the #1 until J. Taylor arrives (although who knows if he shows up or if he's traded)
* Kyren Williams - Seems to be slowly taking over #1 duties.

THanks

Gus Edwards still on the wire. Would you drop any of the following for the Gus Bus:

* Z. Moss - Could be the #1 until J. Taylor arrives (although who knows if he shows up or if he's traded)

THanks
Williams IMO

THanks
They're all spec plays and/or injury hedges. Feels like a personal preference issue.

I keep Kyren ATM.

I think I like Gus more than McKinnon and Moss but it's close.

I guess I drop McKinnon because it will take a couple injuries for him to see real relevance outside of being a flex play.

I always post results of my head-2-head choices for the previous week and keep a season long tally. I compare those results to the results if I used a coin toss instead.

I don't keep a tally when asked to choose between more than two players because I'm not sure how to score it and don't want to get into fractions to keep the tally.

I was one of those wins last week - thanks for the advice!

Let's go for two in a row -

Brandin Cooks vs NYJ or Josh Kelley @TN
Scoring: 1pt / 10 yd rush, 1pt / 5 carries, 1pt / 10 yd rec, 1 PPR, 6pt TD rush/rec

.5 PPR

Need 2 of these
Lockett vs DET
Dotson @ ARZ
Collins vs IND
Nacua vs SF
Dotson is at Denver. I think @Courtjester has some strong opinions about Denver's #2 CB being an opportunity for opponents #2WRs.

I am tempted to lean that way but Howell looked very shaky last week. Enough so I have concerns about the Commanders this week.

Lockett should be okay and anyone who watched last year Sea @ Detroit is probably excited for a high scoring game this week. But I am not convinced. The Chiefs were clearly off last week but this Detroit defense is significantly improved. The secondary is worlds better and the pass rush can be ferocious. If Seattle is down both tackles this week it could be an ugly game for them.

Puka & Nico appear to be target sponges and for my money (i.e. your money) I think I would probably go in that direction.

Nico/Puka>Dotson>Lockett

I was one of those wins last week - thanks for the advice!

Let's go for two in a row -

Brandin Cooks vs NYJ or Josh Kelley @TN
Scoring: 1pt / 10 yd rush, 1pt / 5 carries, 1pt / 10 yd rec, 1 PPR, 6pt TD rush/rec
I want to say Josh Kelley is a mirage but he may not be. He split time evenly from the first drive. Ekeler has a big advantage in the passing game and two minute offense but I think Kelley will see a consistent share of carries.

Unfortunately the Titans aren't the Dolphins and rushing yards may be tougher to come by.

The Cowboys definitely have a tough matchup against that Jets Defense but their own defense is so good I imagine the Cowboys will have more offensive opportunities than the Jets.

Cooks is probably the right option.

Cooks>Kelley

Looks like I will be playing mid RB roulette again this year.

ppr, start 2:
k walker vs det
d pierce vs ind
s perine vs wft
k williams vs sf

The first 2 were my draft day starters but put up duds week 1 behind MASH unit OLs, not sure if their lines get better this week. Perine and Williams put up better numbers but are both in committees that could easily go the other way.
I think the Niners defense makes one of your choices a little easier. We shouldn't sleep on McVay and the Rams at all but I'm okay being wrong by benching players against the Niners.

I start Walker, pretty much no matter what. You drafted him as one of your top two RBs and he actually had a fine game against the Rams and the split with Charbonnet never happened.

Between Perine & Pierce I can see it being close but even with his limited usage last week I still believe Pierce has more opportunity upside than Perine who, if anything will lose opportunities to Javonte as the season progresses.

Walker>Pierce>Perine>Kyren

THanks
Williams IMO
Surprised by this answer.

McKinnon hard to predict although in a strong offense while Moss could be the starting RB (for a cruddy team) with Taylor coming back.

Meanwhile, Kyren only has Akers to deal with and it looks like he's surpassing him.

THanks
Williams IMO
Surprised by this answer.

McKinnon hard to predict although in a strong offense while Moss could be the starting RB (for a cruddy team) with Taylor coming back.

Meanwhile, Kyren only has Akers to deal with and it looks like he's surpassing him.

You seem to answer your own doubts in your reply lol...

McKinnon is battling for touches with 2 other people, Williams 1.

The Indy situation is just as sticky as KC IMO.

LAR is just Akers and Williams and he looked better than Cam week 1.

Standard scoring, Starting Chubb, Walker and Olave, need 1 from the following 4:

Aiyuk @ Rams - was week 1 a mirage? A product of man vs zone as i've read a few times? or a huge breakout few saw coming?
Perine vs Commanders - not a strong candidate but should do ok with catches
J.Williams @ Panthers - can he bounce back? He didn't impress against the Titans but they are tough against the run and the volume should be there
D.Swift vs Vikings - likely to be the starter and...nah I guess, not

Thanks

Last edited:
0.5 PPR - 0.1 point per yard - 6 pts per TD

Swift or Sanders
In the future please remember to include the matchup.

This choice is all about risk tolerance. If you are confident Swift will see ~15 opportunities I would start him without much hesitation.

But if you want to lock in opportunity then Sanders is your guy.

With the news that Gainwell is out tomorrow I'm willing to take the risk

Swift>Sanders

But be prepared for SWIFT!!!!

That's never going to get old for me.

Standard scoring, Starting Chubb, Walker and Olave, need 1 from the following 4:

Aiyuk @ Rams - was week 1 a mirage? A product of man vs zone as i've read a few times? or a huge breakout few saw coming?
Perine vs Commanders - not a strong candidate but should do ok with catches
J.Williams @ Panthers - can he bounce back? Titans are tough against the run and the volume should be there
D.Swift vs Vikings - likely to be the starter and...nah I guess, not

Thanks
I think you have to roll the dice with Aiyuk. Two TDs won't happen every week but man Purdy looks soooo good and the Niner defense should give the offense plenty of opportunities all year long.

Of the remaining options I keep getting sucked back into Swift but with Gainwell out it's going to happen now or never (or maybe next Sunday, right?)

I flip a coin between Perine & Williams. Perine is a better player but Williams has less competition.

Aiyuk>Swift>Williams>Perine

I'll start.

Jahan Dotson @ Den
Zay Flowers @ Cin
Courtland Sutton v Wash
Darren Waller @ Ari
AJ Dillon @ ATL
D'Andre Swift v Min
Jaylen Warren v Cle

ATM I have it narrowed down to Flowers, Sutton & Waller for the WR & Flex spots.
Flowers/Waller

monitor Freiermuth in the practice reports; Pickett threw him a couple hospital balls over the middle, he got crunched & might be limited in his prep for Week 2

I’m going to preemptively say Jared Goff is an auto start in the home opener
"hospital balls". never heard that but going to use it. love it.

PPR.
Lockett at Detroit
or
Dotson at Denver
worried about the 2 tackles Seattle lost.
Had this one up thread
Dotson is at Denver. I think @Courtjester has some strong opinions about Denver's #2 CB being an opportunity for opponents #2WRs.

I am tempted to lean that way but Howell looked very shaky last week. Enough so I have concerns about the Commanders this week.

Lockett should be okay and anyone who watched last year Sea @ Detroit is probably excited for a high scoring game this week. But I am not convinced. The Chiefs were clearly off last week but this Detroit defense is significantly improved. The secondary is worlds better and the pass rush can be ferocious. If Seattle is down both tackles this week it could be an ugly game for them.

Dotson>Lockett

Flowers and Sutton for you. However, if Waller were full speed, he’d be my pick over Sutton. Arizona was dead last in the league against TE’s in 2022.

I only have to decide between

Swift Vs Min
Javonte Vs Wash

.5 PPR

Was leaning Javonte, but with Gainwell out, and Swift with the much better matchup, I’m leaning Swift. Washington gave up the second least points per game to RB’s last year.

Last edited:
Flowers and Sutton for you.

I only have to decide between

Swift Vs Min
Javonte Vs Wash

.5 PPR

Was leaning Javonte, but with Gainwell out, and Swift with the much better matchup, I’m leaning Swift. Washington gave up the second least points per game to RB’s last year.
The decision on Swift this week is all about your taste for risk aversion. We all know Penny or Scott could easily be their lead back tomorrow. I think we all also believe that if Swift gets 15 touches he can be incredibly efficient. It's a bigger gamble than most choices because the range of outcomes for Swift is much broader than whoever your other option is. I'm just grateful he plays tomorrow so I won't have to think about him through Sunday.

I am pretty confident Javonte will get 15 touches and possibly more. I think he can do well with that volume, despite last season the Commanders aren't a prohibitive defense.

The safe/smart call is Javonte>Swift

My call
Swift>Javonte

.5 PPR Flex need two of:

Swift vs Minny
Puka vs SF
Flowers vs CINCY

My other starters @ RB/WR: Bijan/Javonte Aiyuk/Waddle/Godwin

QB/TE is Lamar/Andrews

Instinct is to go Swift/Zay or Zay/Puka....I think I could tolerate a Puka stat line vs SF like 8-65....but I'm not going to stomach a Swift WOOF again

.5 PPR Flex need two of:

Swift vs Minny
Puka vs SF
Flowers vs CINCY

My other starters @ RB/WR: Bijan/Javonte Aiyuk/Waddle/Godwin

QB/TE is Lamar/Andrews

Instinct is to go Swift/Zay or Zay/Puka....I think I could tolerate a Puka stat line vs SF like 8-65....but I'm not going to stomach a Swift WOOF again
Been pushing Swift for a few posts but your options are interesting. I think it's unlikely all three of these guys continue on with the same consistency (or lack of same). If I have to guess I think Puka will hold his role because that's just how McVay's offense works.

But I'm having real trouble with the idea Flowers won't simply continue getting open. Dude is electric.

I believe Siriani when he says he wants Swift more involved and the absence of Gainwell will help...but IDK I find the Phili situation tougher to trust.

If it were full PPR I would absolutely bench Swift... I think but it's not so...yeah.

Honestly I probably give Swift this game to shine. As far as deciding between Puka & Flowers...I guess if you think Puka will get 15 targets (Kupp had 31 in two games vs SF last year) then start him. That's probably how I lean but it's close because I think Flowers is probably a better player.

Swift>Puka>Flowers

I guess just confirmation on my 2 lineups
.5 ppr
Qb 2rb, 2 wr te flex k def

Team 1
Hurts
Metcalf
Cooper
Eckler
Bijan
Njoku
Mattison
Bass
Miami

Bench
Jeudy, Kincaid, Kelly, allgier, Godwin, swift

Guessing Kelly if eckler sits. But maybe swift over mattison, Kincaid over njoku?

Team2

Tua
Aj brown
Waddle
Chubb
Mattison
Andrews
Higgins
Bass
BAL

Bench
Pacheco, ayuik, allgier, Kincaid, Richardson, Kelly.

Pretty set with this one. Maybe Pacheco over mattison? Kincaid if andrews sits again

Thanks

I'll start.

Jahan Dotson @ Den
Zay Flowers @ Cin
Courtland Sutton v Wash
Darren Waller @ Ari
AJ Dillon @ ATL
D'Andre Swift v Min
Jaylen Warren v Cle

Flowers and waller

K. Herbert owner here. 12 team PPR.

Curious if you'd trade one of these RBs to get R. Johnson to solidify the backfield and add Herbert insurance?

* J. Mckinnon
* Z. Moss

A little nervous after week 1 and I like what I see in R. Johnson. That said, D. Foreman is getting touches here too so owning too much of this backfield may not be a great investment unless we think R. Johnson is the next great thing.

Here is my RB depth otherwise:

* D. Pierce
* D. Montgomery
* R. Mostert
* K. Herbert
* J. Warren
* Kyren Williams

Thanks

.5 PPR

Rostered - Freiermuth and Kincaid

La Porta is a FA but would need to drop one of the above as I have no one else to cut.

Team 1
Hurts
Metcalf
Cooper
Eckler
Bijan
Njoku
Mattison
Bass
Miami

Bench
Jeudy, Kincaid, Kelly, allgier, Godwin, swift

Guessing Kelly if eckler sits. But maybe swift over mattison, Kincaid over njoku?
I cannot stress how happy I will be once Swift plays tonight. Not sure I could take talking about him through Sunday.

Between him and Mattison it's all about your risk tolerance. Mattison has a clearer role but a much tougher matchup and I believe Minnesota is down at least their center and possibly their LT.

Everything looks better for Swift except, y'know, his role. Will he get the PT or will it be Boston Scott or Penny?

Mattison is the smart play. But I'm thinking we get few chances to capture Swift's potential.

Swift>Mattison
Team2

Tua
Aj brown
Waddle
Chubb
Mattison
Andrews
Higgins
Bass
BAL

Bench
Pacheco, ayuik, allgier, Kincaid, Richardson, Kelly.

Pretty set with this one. Maybe Pacheco over mattison? Kincaid if andrews sits again
Explain the logic of Higgins over Aiyuk? I like Burrow more than Purdy of course but maybe the ankle is affecting his motion? And should we like Burrow that much more? Crazy thought but Purdy looks like Joe Cool 😎 out there.

Maybe Aiyuk drops to third in targets this week. Maybe the Niners run the Rams out of the building. That means 6 instead of 8 targets and they Niners ran the Steelers out of the building last week and there was plenty to go around. To be fair Aiyuk didn't see a look after the first play of the 4th quarter and only had two in the 3rd. We could see a similar scenario of only one half of aggressive passing again.

Higgins is a fine play this week and it is reasonable to assume a bounce back game. Week one is often a mulligan for teams. Just considering Aiyuk.

Higgins>Aiyuk

Last edited:
K. Herbert owner here. 12 team PPR.

Curious if you'd trade one of these RBs to get R. Johnson to solidify the backfield and add Herbert insurance?

* J. Mckinnon
* Z. Moss

A little nervous after week 1 and I like what I see in R. Johnson. That said, D. Foreman is getting touches here too so owning too much of this backfield may not be a great investment unless we think R. Johnson is the next great thing.

Here is my RB depth otherwise:

* D. Pierce
* D. Montgomery
* R. Mostert
* K. Herbert
* J. Warren
* Kyren Williams

Thanks
I don't sweat the loss of either McKinnon or Moss. I would probably try to move Moss first because McKinnon has shown he can go on a tear in that offense. But neither is as interesting a prospect as Roschon.

.5 PPR

Rostered - Freiermuth and Kincaid

La Porta is a FA but would need to drop one of the above as I have no one else to cut.
I like LaPorta but I definitely don't drop Freiremuth.

Kincaid v LaPorta is ultimately a push IMO. I kind of like LaPorta more but that's probably because I like to root for the Lions more than the Bills.

Full PPR, is it crazy to start Puka for DHop?
Not crazy at all. Risky for sure but not crazy. It really looks like he has stepped into Kupp's role (TuTu clouds that a bit but I think it's Puka) and in two blowout losses to the Niners last year Kupp saw 31 targets.

The safe play is Hopkins but I think he's dinged up a bit (veteran rest day?) and it's not a pass heavy offense.

HOWEVER that Chargers pass defense got lit up like a Christmas tree in the North Pole and now Joey Bosa has a hammy (I think). I try not to put too much into matchups and even less so based on week one results. I mean getting lit up by Tyreek carries no shame. But, man.

I think you have two good options. If Hopkins misses practice today then go with Puka. If he doesn't...

Puka>Hopkins

gut call for sure.

Start Cousins or pick up one of Geno/Brock? 4 per passing TD.
I'm a bit shocked Purdy is available. What's a guy gotta do?

As far as tonight and Cousins, it's a brutal roadie without his starting center (Jalen Carter gonna eat?) and I am not sure if Darrisaw is playing tonight either.

If Darrisaw is out I would probably start either Geno or Purdy over Cousins.

If you think last week was an aberration, and week one should be viewed that way then maybe Geno is the better upside option. If you're looking for steady Eddie 250 & 2 then definitely Purdy.

Flex #2 spot. 0.5 PPR. Pick 1.

Nico Collins vs Colts
Puka Nacua vs 49ers
Khalil Herbert at Bucs
Brandin Cooks vs Jets

Flex #2 spot. 0.5 PPR. Pick 1.

Nico Collins vs Colts
Puka Nacua vs 49ers
Khalil Herbert at Bucs
Brandin Cooks vs Jets
I like Puka here. It's a big risk but if he's in the Kupp role, and it sure looks like he is, he should see 10+ targets, surprisingly with upside (Kupp had 31 in two blowout losses to the Niners last year, both games with Stafford under center).

Nico would be my next choice because he seems like a clear #1 on that team and could see another 11 targets this week.

No interest in Herbert until we see something from that offense.

Cooks is a little banged up (vet rest day?) and has a brutal matchup in a game where the Cowboys will probably be running out the clock at some point.

Puka>Nico>>the others

Users who are viewing this thread