What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1, 09/08/22 Thursday Night Football: Let's Get This Party Started! Buffalo at LA Rams (+2.5) (52) (1 Viewer)

Akers owners are in for a severe timeshare. Henderson looks like the more explosive player in the first half.
Has Akers had a carry? 2 touches for 0 yards. Sample size, nut yeah - bodes I’ll for Akers owners.

And Henderson owners because dude needs bubble wrap.
Lol, I'm not saying Hendo is the next great back but I am saying anyone who thought Akers was coming back to be a bell cow after an achilles (as his ADP would indicate) was woefully optimistic and Hendo looked like the better back.

Can’t stand Tirico or Collinsworthless. Gonna be s long season listening to those two boneheads.

It's not just them. Personally, I can't stand to listen to any analysts. It's just so freaking dumbed down, like they're explaining football to 4th graders and they're more worried about attention span than saying something meaningful/thoughtful.

Last week the US Open (tennis) was on like 4-5 ESPN channels at the same time - the main stadium Arthur Ashe, the secondary stadium Louis Armstrong, the grandstand court, and maybe 1-2 outer courts usually (7 or 17.) Sometimes they wouldn't have an announcing crew, and it would just be the visuals. My gosh it was glorious.

I like to hear the crowd, the hits, the players and coaches screaming - I don't want to mute games. But man I wish we had the option to just watch the game.

#getoffmywhatever #curmudgeon
Right there with ya...

Can’t stand Tirico or Collinsworthless. Gonna be s long season listening to those two boneheads.

It's not just them. Personally, I can't stand to listen to any analysts. It's just so freaking dumbed down, like they're explaining football to 4th graders and they're more worried about attention span than saying something meaningful/thoughtful.

Last week the US Open (tennis) was on like 4-5 ESPN channels at the same time - the main stadium Arthur Ashe, the secondary stadium Louis Armstrong, the grandstand court, and maybe 1-2 outer courts usually (7 or 17.) Sometimes they wouldn't have an announcing crew, and it would just be the visuals. My gosh it was glorious.

I like to hear the crowd, the hits, the players and coaches screaming - I don't want to mute games. But man I wish we had the option to just watch the game.

When you go back and listen to the MNF with Cosell, Gifford and anybody else in there....sometimes they don't say a word for several seconds, allow their thoughts to gather and allow the crowd noise to tell some of the story. There are moments where nobody says a single word vs blathering "We heard about this all week, we knew they would do this"

The guys in the booth never shut up.
There are some good ones or some broadcasters I find pleasant to listen to but many of the mainstream ones when there is only 1 game playing be it Thursday Night, Sunday Night, Monday Night, these games tend to have the worst crew and they always try and act like they were in all the film rooms and meeting rooms that week leading up to kickoff and its mostly horse sp!t. This is why Gruden was a breath of fresh air initially when he was on the MNF broadcast.

Romo is easy enough to listen to, wish they would replace Nance who is ancient and get someone as lively and interesting as Romo. And even Romo after a few more years removed from the NFL won't sound the same as he does now.

-NFL needs to do a better job of pushing some of these folks out to pasture and employing more young guys just coming off the field that can share things relevant and helpful to the audience.
-And Melissa Stark last night? Every time the poor female is asked to say a few words on the sidelines, it's always an emotional angle, something that the player had to fight thru the odds and it's a miracle they are even standing up straight right now...it gets old and I would say it's a bad look for females that they are always reporting on things that seem rather irrelevant in the moment of the football game.
Collingsworthless is one of the, if not the, worst IMO. Ramble ramble ramble interject at every second....
I totally agree with the bolded. Look at Madden as well. The GOAT....He didn't have to talk EVERY second. Let the fans at home enjoy the sounds of the game for cripes sake.
I miss the days of Summerall and Madden even if Pat missed a guy's name once in a while. Same with Cosell, Gifford and Dandy Don.

Mike Tirico praises Rams owner Kroenke for paying the players top dollar or somehow was willing to pay the players in a more aggressive way than other owners are willing to do. Memo to Tirico, the teams play with a salary cap and are required to spend within 90-95% pf the cap, Kroenke didn't spend $400M and the owners of the Chargers spent $200M...doesn't work that way.

I hate Mike Tirico, sad they let him back into the booth.

I can handle Tirico, CC is just plain annoying. My wife thinks he looks like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz. Pointy head, ear, chin and nose.

Mike Tirico praises Rams owner Kroenke for paying the players top dollar or somehow was willing to pay the players in a more aggressive way than other owners are willing to do. Memo to Tirico, the teams play with a salary cap and are required to spend within 90-95% pf the cap, Kroenke didn't spend $400M and the owners of the Chargers spent $200M...doesn't work that way.

I can handle Tirico, CC is just plain annoying. My wife thinks he looks like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz. Pointy head, ear, chin and nose.
CC is annoying and doesn't know when to just keep his mouth shut and let the game play out. Your wife is quite correct. He does have quite the long thin head with a very high forehead.

When you go back and listen to the MNF with Cosell, Gifford and anybody else in there....sometimes they don't say a word for several seconds, allow their thoughts to gather and allow the crowd noise to tell some of the story. There are moments where nobody says a single word vs blathering "We heard about this all week, we knew they would do this"

The guys in the booth never shut up.
There are some good ones or some broadcasters I find pleasant to listen to but many of the mainstream ones when there is only 1 game playing be it Thursday Night, Sunday Night, Monday Night, these games tend to have the worst crew and they always try and act like they were in all the film rooms and meeting rooms that week leading up to kickoff and its mostly horse sp!t. This is why Gruden was a breath of fresh air initially when he was on the MNF broadcast.

Romo is easy enough to listen to, wish they would replace Nance who is ancient and get someone as lively and interesting as Romo. And even Romo after a few more years removed from the NFL won't sound the same as he does now.

-NFL needs to do a better job of pushing some of these folks out to pasture and employing more young guys just coming off the field that can share things relevant and helpful to the audience.
-And Melissa Stark last night? Every time the poor female is asked to say a few words on the sidelines, it's always an emotional angle, something that the player had to fight thru the odds and it's a miracle they are even standing up straight right now...it gets old and I would say it's a bad look for females that they are always reporting on things that seem rather irrelevant in the moment of the football game.
Collingsworthless is one of the, if not the, worst IMO. Ramble ramble ramble interject at every second....
I totally agree with the bolded. Look at Madden as well. The GOAT....He didn't have to talk EVERY second. Let the fans at home enjoy the sounds of the game for cripes sake.
I miss the days of Summerall and Madden even if Pat missed a guy's name once in a while. Same with Cosell, Gifford and Dandy Don.
I had to eventually mute the broadcast thanks to Collinsworth. A player could make one great play all season and Collinsworth would go on and on about the player being "one of the best in the league".

I've told my wife for years Collinsworth looks like he just got embalmed.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Collinsworth is probably my 2nd favorite commentator after Romo. I think he does an excellent job noticing and explaining things like blocking schemes and coverages. Stuff that the average fan probably doesn't see/think about on their own. He just balances those observations out, with a lot of folksy rambling, because that is what a lot of the audience wants,

To a seasoned fan, or someone who knows a ton about the sport, I would think every commentator would be bad. That's not the audience they are aiming for. They are for the casual/uninformed fan to better understand what they are watching and why things are happening. Think of it like explaining how to build a shed to somebody who has never picked up a hammer, you've got to dumb it down quite a bit.

I typically only listen to commentary when I'm by myself, and I know its not usually going to educate me, just like pregame shows don't, I'm too knowledgeable. But I'm sure if pregame shows and announce teams were geared towards someone like me, that would alienate a ton of people who don't really care about schematic or analytic talk, and just want someone to say, "boy, that Josh Allen sure is good."

CC is annoying and doesn't know when to just keep his mouth shut and let the game play out. Your wife is quite correct. He does have quite the long thin head with a very high forehead.
Collinsworth was at his absolute worst in Super Bowl 52. All he did was praise Brady and complain that he no longer understood what was and wasn't a catch. Any rewatch I do of the Eagles' SB win has to be on mute.

Collinsworth was at his absolute worst in Super Bowl 52. All he did was praise Brady and complain that he no longer understood what was and wasn't a catch. Any rewatch I do of the Eagles' SB win has to be on mute.
That is the thing with Collingsworth. I don't really mind that he talks about stats and about things, but he constantly beats things to death. Saying things once or twice and then moving on is okay with me. He doesn't do that.

That is the thing with Collingsworth. I don't really mind that he talks about stats and about things, but he constantly beats things to death. Saying things once or twice and then moving on is okay with me. He doesn't do that.
He OWNS a chunk of ProFootballFocus...you know, PFF! They run the stats under on all the telecasts like Jalen Ramsey was 1/116 in 2021 even though he got worked last night by Josh Allen.
Collinsworth makes money with each subscription and last time I checked it's rather expensive. Don't feel rooked or manipulated, most folks forget or gloss over this important fact.

When CC bought in to PFF which had to be at least 4-5+ years ago but almost over night they became the authority for how all positions get ranked in the NFL. Ranking OL was not in vogue when they did and, it added credibility with their ratings system.

TV-Fantasy Land :lol:

Last edited:
@JackMiller02

Matthew Stafford had the eighth-highest IAY (Next Gen Stats version of aDOT) in the league last year at 8.5.

Against the Bills, his IAY was just 5.6. He had only one game – Week 9 against the Titans – below that in 2021 (5.3).

LA passing offense got nothing downfield tonight.

I know a lot of people hate Joe Buck, but he is one of the ones that is better about letting things just breathe a bit at times.
He has the opposite problem of Collinsworth.

Too minimalist. With baseball he’ll say things like “strike 2” without bothering to tell anyone the count.

He’ll also say “spoiled it” when a batter fouls off ball 4, which drives me insane. You can only “spoil it” if it’s gonna be strike 3.

Buck Is better with NFL broadcasts, but the minimalism drives me nuts.

@JackMiller02

Matthew Stafford had the eighth-highest IAY (Next Gen Stats version of aDOT) in the league last year at 8.5.

Against the Bills, his IAY was just 5.6. He had only one game – Week 9 against the Titans – below that in 2021 (5.3).

LA passing offense got nothing downfield tonight.
He took one deep shot that I recall.

It went 15 yards past the secondary, who were 5 yards past the receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread