What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2 Waiver Wire Gem (1 Viewer)

Forsett and Greg Jennings

Sending Ridley to the WW for Forsett.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the rookie Taliaferro takes over the Ravens RB job in the next few weeks, the kid looked good in the pre season. Forsett is a 29 year old scatback. I roll the dice with Taliaferro on the cheap

With Shorts out, Allen Hurns looking good to make some noise in Week 1.
An understatement on my part.

Would appear to be the top WW pickup in dynasty leagues, and near the top in redraft.

I don't buy the Ogletree analogy some are throwing out as Ogletree had been around awhile and had done nothing before that apparent Week 1 breakout to distinguish himself. I think a better comparison would be Marques Colston, an unheralded 7th round pick who turned heads in preseason and kept it up once the real games started and never looked back.

Hurns could be a flash in the pan, but is worth rolling the dice in any league format.
didn't stephen hill have 2 td in his first game?
Yes.

So did Anquan Boldin and Randy Moss.

Neither of them have any relevance either.
Fair point, but those are more the exception than the rule. Still, if you have room for them and would only cost you some schlub, why not take a chance.
Not only are they exceptions, but they were also drafted very highly. Hurns would be way beyond an exception.

T with T said:
MattFancy said:
ceejee said:
MattFancy said:
Josh Gordon worth a WW pickup this week?
if he's available, take him. Would you rather have the potential of a stud WR1 versus a possession-based WR5/6 on your roster?
I have the #1 WW claim, so I would prefer to not use it in Week 1 on a guy that may or may not play again. But it's certainly tempting.
If Gordon somehow is availble in your league grab him up asap and quit talking dumb... please
With the #1 waiver though?

I'd assume if your league uses waivers (and not auction) for free agents, Gordon somehow made it to kickoff (when rosters lock) without being picked up for free? If that's the case, unless new news comes out before waivers clear, why would you now use your #1 waiver on him?

T with T said:
MattFancy said:
ceejee said:
MattFancy said:
Josh Gordon worth a WW pickup this week?
if he's available, take him. Would you rather have the potential of a stud WR1 versus a possession-based WR5/6 on your roster?
I have the #1 WW claim, so I would prefer to not use it in Week 1 on a guy that may or may not play again. But it's certainly tempting.
If Gordon somehow is availble in your league grab him up asap and quit talking dumb... please
With the #1 waiver though?

I'd assume if your league uses waivers (and not auction) for free agents, Gordon somehow made it to kickoff (when rosters lock) without being picked up for free? If that's the case, unless new news comes out before waivers clear, why would you now use your #1 waiver on him?
You use it because he is a game changer down the stretch. Just look at last season, I'm sure most people (including me) rode him to fantasy gold. The only performer that might be in FA that I would even consider over Gordon is Moreno. Moreno is rostered in all of my leagues except in my F&F league, of which I dropped him for Gordon -_- but have the number 1 waiver pick anyway.

I looked back over the 7 years this particular blind bid league has been in existence, and here are the names that were picked up in the first two weeks of the season for big dollars ($250 budget), along with their year-end PPR ranks.

2007: Derrick Ward RB $56 RB38; D Wynn RB $72 RB71

2008: Cassel QB $104 QB8

2009: C Williams RB $68 RB25

2010: B Jackson RB $142 RB24 M Vick QB $77 QB3

2011: J Nelson WR $57 WR8; D Nelson WR $81 WR37

2012: Ogeltree WR $70 WR72; Moreno RB $61 RB39; A Brown WR $106 WR34; Pitta TE $72 TE8

2013: J Thomas TE $175 TE2; Edelman WR $111 WR15

If we count top 30 WR and RB as hits, as well as top 12 QBs / TEs, here's how it came out:

Pos Hit Miss

RB 2 3

QB 2

WR 2 3

TE 2

total - 8 hits, 6 misses. Both QBs and TEs were hits, 40% of RBs and WRs were hits.

Not sure how valuable this info is, and I am sure other people have larger data sets, but on balance this makes me less likely to blow the budget on Forsett. The two hits, Cadillac Williams and Brandon Jackson, were high-end flexes at best. The WR track record, although having the same hit rate, looks better, with Jordy Nelson and Edelman as legit every week starters. Whether that's enough to move the needle in Hurns' direction, I don't know, but it helps.

I looked back over the 7 years this particular blind bid league has been in existence, and here are the names that were picked up in the first two weeks of the season for big dollars ($250 budget), along with their year-end PPR ranks.

2007: Derrick Ward RB $56 RB38; D Wynn RB $72 RB71

2008: Cassel QB $104 QB8

2009: C Williams RB $68 RB25

2010: B Jackson RB $142 RB24 M Vick QB $77 QB3

2011: J Nelson WR $57 WR8; D Nelson WR $81 WR37

2012: Ogeltree WR $70 WR72; Moreno RB $61 RB39; A Brown WR $106 WR34; Pitta TE $72 TE8

2013: J Thomas TE $175 TE2; Edelman WR $111 WR15

If we count top 30 WR and RB as hits, as well as top 12 QBs / TEs, here's how it came out:

Pos Hit Miss

RB 2 3

QB 2

WR 2 3

TE 2

total - 8 hits, 6 misses. Both QBs and TEs were hits, 40% of RBs and WRs were hits.

Not sure how valuable this info is, and I am sure other people have larger data sets, but on balance this makes me less likely to blow the budget on Forsett. The two hits, Cadillac Williams and Brandon Jackson, were high-end flexes at best. The WR track record, although having the same hit rate, looks better, with Jordy Nelson and Edelman as legit every week starters. Whether that's enough to move the needle in Hurns' direction, I don't know, but it helps.
This is the lazy way to do it though, look at the guys and their situations and decide if you want them.

The good news: I had the foresight to pick up a Jax WR before the game started.

The bad news: It was Marqise Lee. :wall:

In the meantime, I'll throw out Lee's old college teammate: Robert Woods. Many people (myself included) had been assuming that Williams was the sleeper Buffalo WR to own, but he did nothing today. Watkins is still banged up. Woods was Manuel's No. 1 target, and he might have even more value if Orton gets the job.

My rule with WW pickups is to chase situations, not stats. Hurns may be the real deal, but he's still dealing with a crowd at WR. Woods' potential emergence as WR1 seems more significant.
Robert Woods is primed for a breakout season. He has plenty of weapons around him to help take the heat off of him (Watkins, Williams, Spiller, FJax, Goodwin) and is a very polished route runner. Manuel and him were drafted together so they have an excellent rapport together.

He finished with 86 targets / 40 rec / 587 yds / 3 TD his rookie year with Manuel missing 6 games and a total disaster of a QB situation.

Yesterday, he made a huge catch on 3rd down and finished as the Bills' top WR with 4 rec / 78 yds

I would definitely pick him up if you need a WR since I can only see him going up with a healthy EJ Manuel.

my issue with woods is that manuel only threw for 173 yards in a close, back and forth game. i just dont think the volume will be there for that guy.

my issue with woods is that manuel only threw for 173 yards in a close, back and forth game. i just dont think the volume will be there for that guy.
No, probably not - but he's a perfectly adequate WR5/6 and worth a stash. I expect a healthy Watkins draws coverage and Woods can end up with a steady 5+ looks a game.

I have enough $$$ in a dynasty league to do 1 pickup this year. Is it to early to go for a guy like Crowell or Forsett or should I sit tight and wait for something better or maybe get lucky and have no one pick them up and see another week of how they preform?

Like Crowell a lot but with him you run the chance of Tate being okay and going back to the bench.

I see Forsett getting touches but I don't see him as special.

I have enough $$$ in a dynasty league to do 1 pickup this year. Is it to early to go for a guy like Crowell or Forsett or should I sit tight and wait for something better or maybe get lucky and have no one pick them up and see another week of how they preform?

Like Crowell a lot but with him you run the chance of Tate being okay and going back to the bench.

If you are in dynasty, go for Crowell - I can't believe he isn't rostered in a dynasty league yet.

If you only have one pickup, I don't think this is your week.

Jermaine Gresham ?

Was a 1st round pick in 2010 ... Dude had 700+ and 5 tds 2 years ago.

Gresham and Eifert combined for 900 and 6 last year.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Should be the primary TE now.[/SIZE]

everyone has full banks in dynasty since its week 1 obviously so how much/% are people bidding towards Crowell?

everyone has full banks in dynasty since its week 1 obviously so how much/% are people bidding towards Crowell?
It depends where you are this season. If you're not going to win, break the bank.

I don't understand how he isn't picked up yet. He went in the late 2nd round of my dynasty draft (not startup obviously) this year in a 12 team league.

Sending Ridley to the WW for Forsett.
Thought about doing the same thing, and I suppose if you need a starter this week, that might make sense. But long-term, I couldn't pull the trigger. Forsett just doesn't look like he's ever going to be an every-down back. No idea what happened with Ridley, but I feel like he's a higher-value lottery ticket than Forsett.

Jermaine Gresham ?

Over Kelce? In dynasty?

It depends where you are this season. If you're not going to win, break the bank.

I don't understand how he isn't picked up yet. He went in the late 2nd round of my dynasty draft (not startup obviously) this year in a 12 team league.
In 12x25 or deeper if Crowell is unowned, then it's a 100% bid IMO. You're looking early 2nd value for FAAB$. Same for Hurns.

FWIW, Not all dynasty teams have full banks. My leagues use FAAB all summer too.

Jermaine Gresham ?

Over Kelce? In dynasty?
In dynasty you have to go Kelce obviously. There are a lot of stopgap TEs (Niles Paul, Donnell, Cumberland), so no reason to prioritize Gresham

Jermaine Gresham ?

Over Kelce? In dynasty?
In dynasty you have to go Kelce obviously. There are a lot of stopgap TEs (Niles Paul, Donnell, Cumberland), so no reason to prioritize Gresham
Disagree ... Gresham has top 10 potential 700-800 an 6 tds is not unrealistic if Eifert is out

Use #1 WW on Forsett in a redraft?

Also in one league I have #1 WW and Pierce, Forsett, West and Crowell are all available lol, who do I use my #1 on? Its a redraft as well, gotta love yahoo pro leagues.

Usually the 1st week of WW / free agency in FF is the most important, but I just don't see the players emerging this early this year to make a serious dive.

Bradshaw seems like potentially the bets long term RB. For Crowell - Tate may come back in 2-4 weeks and there's West. Forsett could give way to Taliaferro or even Pierce.

WRs - Hurns stands out but he disappeared after his big start and he's still dealing with Henne, Shorts and Lee.

TE's - Allen and Donnell, maybe Kelce.

QB's - Tannehill, Locker, Cassel

But are any of these true "Gems"???

I have the #1 ww priority and I'm also a Ben Tate owner so I find myself in the unfortunate position of probably having to burn it on Terrance West. Quite frankly I don't think any of the guys out there right now are worth using it up. I want to let it ride and see if Crowell or West make it through and then just pick one up as a free agent....It doesn't seem like there's the sure fire must pick up after week one like there has been in years past.

Usually the 1st week of WW / free agency in FF is the most important, but I just don't see the players emerging this early this year to make a serious dive.

Bradshaw seems like potentially the bets long term RB. For Crowell - Tate may come back in 2-4 weeks and there's West. Forsett could give way to Taliaferro or even Pierce.

WRs - Hurns stands out but he disappeared after his big start and he's still dealing with Henne, Shorts and Lee.

TE's - Allen and Donnell, maybe Kelce.

QB's - Tannehill, Locker, Cassel

But are any of these true "Gems"???
That's how I see it too

You guys are forgetting Starks, Starks, Starks.

Lacy is one hit from being out for a long time, i want shares of that offense.

Users who are viewing this thread