What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the SINGLE most important fantasy mistake? (1 Viewer)

Although hard for some people to comprehend, NOT EVERY PLAYER WILL OUTPERFORM WHAT HE DID LAST YEAR.For example, I am already hearing from some folks how Jamal Lewis will have more rushing yards than last year. Come again? What do you expect from him this year . . . 2,500 rushing yards?

5. This one not as a mistake as it is smart to do. Especially if take FF seriously. Use Footballguys! They help you find your way through the questions you don't have the time or desire to do yourself. Face it, these guys do this for a living. They have demonstrated a track record of excellence and know what they are talking about. Their collective excellence is by far greater than mine and most on this board. I'm not trying suck up here just stating the obvious. Also, the members on this board need a mention. They are a big part of why I recommend FBG. The knowledge and experience they bring are second to none. I've gotten to know a few of them and appreciate their FF knowledge. Thanks guys!
This shameless ### kissing invalidates your other suggestions :thumbdown: and try and keep it to one... :wall:

I did this a few years back myself and was quite surprised at how little difference 6 pt per TD pass made in my overall rankings. Scrambling qbs get devalued relative to pocket passers, but otherwise the difference is tiny. I haven't tried it with this year's VBD app.
:shakes head:You guys are either missing the point or it was stated in a misleading way intially. RD said giving QB more pts for TDs doesn't increase their value, meaning relative to other positions, not running QBs vs pocket QBs. BurningS's post lays it out why in fact it does nicely.

I did this a few years back myself and was quite surprised at how little difference 6 pt per TD pass made in my overall rankings. Scrambling qbs get devalued relative to pocket passers, but otherwise the difference is tiny. I haven't tried it with this year's VBD app.
:shakes head:You guys are either missing the point or it was stated in a misleading way intially. RD said giving QB more pts for TDs doesn't increase their value, meaning relative to other positions, not running QBs vs pocket QBs. BurningS's post lays it out why in fact it does nicely.
Not trying to be misleading, but I think my original point was that increasing the scores of passing TDs does NOT increase QB's values relative to other positions, unless you take it to an extreme. If you do bump the passing TD value a couple of points, you will see that running QBs get less than valuable than passing QBs, but that overall they are NOT a better value than before (which was Ivan's point).Have to disagree vehemently with BS's point-of-view that increasing the value of passign TDs from 3 to 5 or something similar will increase the value of QB's overall, and make them more valuable to draft relative to ther positions.

I can't resist adding a second one: not staying sober during your FFL draft! I've watched some guys make some pretty ####### picks that ruin their next 3-4 months of FFL action because they couldn't lay off the alcohol for 3-4 hours. You can get hammered almost any other day out of the year, but why blow your FFL season (or SEASONS in a dynasty league draft) 'cuz you just gotta have that 4th/5th beer by the 4th round?! :no: On the flip-side of that, you could also say it's a mistake to not offer your beer-lovin' league-mates lots of alcohol at the draft, 'cuz you WANT them to make ####### picks en route to your dominating the league.... but that just sounds a little too sneaky to lead with. :devil:
I draft BETTER when im drunk!!!! :D
I don't but I don't care. GDB going thru a whole draft w/o beer, it just aint the way nature intended.

Thinking that FF is based purely on skill. You can rank everybody, do projections, have cheat sheet mania on draft day. If you draft <your first round pick here> and then in week 1 he tears a tendon and is out for 8 weeks, you will lose that year.Unless of course the luck factor kicks in and R.Anderson who you took in round 12 becomes the starter in Dallas and runs for 1300 yards and 14 TDs.It can happen.FF should be all about fun, the money seems to be getting in the way sometimes. I would have just as much fun and participate just as much in my league even if no money was invloved.

FF should be all about fun, the money seems to be getting in the way sometimes. I would have just as much fun and participate just as much in my league even if no money was invloved.
You, Sir, are an endangered species. There ain't many of ya .....

I've watched some guys make some pretty ####### picks that ruin their next 3-4 months of FFL action because they couldn't lay off the alcohol for 3-4 hours. You can get hammered almost any other day out of the year, but why blow your FFL season (or SEASONS in a dynasty league draft) 'cuz you just gotta have that 4th/5th beer by the 4th round?!
Looks great on the drawing board but going to be hard to implement. Despite a decent history as having Jack Daniels as my draft day consultant, I have noticed our picks are usually a little iffy in late rounds. However, I cannot imagine a draft without Jack by my side. Biggest mistake is not knowing the historical tendencies, strategies, favorite players, teams and drafting tools of your competition. Getting a handle on this information makes using the data gathered from the boards, hompage, personal predictions and gut that much easier.

I posted the VBD results on this. The value for QBs doesn't change much when you got to 6 pts per TD. That's not a matter of opinion; you can run the numbers yourself.

Ignoring ADP data.If a player will still be around in round 10, its a mortal sin to take him in the 6th no matter how high you are on the player.

Ignoring ADP data.If a player will still be around in round 10, its a mortal sin to take him in the 6th no matter how high you are on the player.
Yeah but this is a question of degree...waiting too long puts us back into the "know your opponents" and putting too much stock in ADP stuff. If you know a guy SHOULD go around round 10 and are high on him, IMO you should be taking him at least a round early (roughly), maybe more, because maybe someone else is high on him too. Portis' rookie year was a case in point for me. He was going roughly 6th round and I took him high 5th. whew.

I did this a few years back myself and was quite surprised at how little difference 6 pt per TD pass made in my overall rankings.  Scrambling qbs get devalued relative to pocket passers, but otherwise the difference is tiny.  I haven't tried it with this year's VBD app.
I posted the VBD results on this. The value for QBs doesn't change much when you got to 6 pts per TD. That's not a matter of opinion; you can run the numbers yourself.
In that list, Manning moved up 7 spots. That is a lot in the first couple of rounds.Would you rather have the 18th pick or the 25th pick in your draft? Would it be a "big deal" to you? It might be a "big deal" to me.Both sides are right. Going from 4 to 6 pts/TD doesn't make a HUGE difference, but it can make a signidicant difference - enough to be aware of and take into account. I'll change my draft accordingly, but that doesn't mean I'd spend a 1st round pick on a QB at the drop of a hat either.

Yeah but this is a question of degree...waiting too long puts us back into the "know your opponents" and putting too much stock in ADP stuff. If you know a guy SHOULD go around round 10 and are high on him, IMO you should be taking him at least a round early (roughly), maybe more, because maybe someone else is high on him too. Portis' rookie year was a case in point for me. He was going roughly 6th round and I took him high 5th. whew.
This makes total sense BR. In fact, you can make the argument for 2 rounds early if you're drafting on the corner. However, 3 to 4 rounds too early is bad juju.

Only one per poster please. I would have to say basing your rankings on last year's stats. Except for some of the bigger studs at each position, there is a great deal of volatility from year to year but it seems most people can only remember what happened last season. ;)
I agree totally with what you say. For a great example, look at Harrison/Moss.Last year, Harrison was coming off a great year and everyone took him 3-7 picks earlier. This year, its just the opposite. Why can't people realize that they're nearly even and its better to just trade down and take the one coming off of a worse year?

Playing too many different games with vastly different scoring rules and kinds of player categories. When you screw up because of trying to hurry, it's not fun anymore.

Has to be taking a QB early. Every time I do it, I regret it, but it is so hard this year - I don't see a sure fire sleeper out there.

I did this a few years back myself and was quite surprised at how little difference 6 pt per TD pass made in my overall rankings.  Scrambling qbs get devalued relative to pocket passers, but otherwise the difference is tiny.  I haven't tried it with this year's VBD app.
In that list, Manning moved up 7 spots. That is a lot in the first couple of rounds.Would you rather have the 18th pick or the 25th pick in your draft? Would it be a "big deal" to you? It might be a "big deal" to me.Both sides are right. Going from 4 to 6 pts/TD doesn't make a HUGE difference, but it can make a signidicant difference - enough to be aware of and take into account. I'll change my draft accordingly, but that doesn't mean I'd spend a 1st round pick on a QB at the drop of a hat either.
I don't want to do this because it's kind of a hijack, but if you look at the numbers, it's really hard to argue that going from 4 pts to 6 pts for a passing td makes much difference.Yeah, Manning moves up about half a round, but under either system there are exactly two qbs who grade out as being worth selecting in the first three rounds of your draft. If you were to expand this to the top 50 (instead of the top 36), you'll notice that some of the names in the 36-50 spots are different (I think Vick drops out and Hasselbeck comes in), but you don't see more quarterbacks in those spots. Overall, a 50% increase in the scoring for passing tds does not seem to significantly alter the value of qbs relative to other positions.

Has to be taking a QB early. Every time I do it, I regret it, but it is so hard this year - I don't see a sure fire sleeper out there.
I agree on the QB early thing being the worst. It isn't necessarily a matter of landing a sleeper. I would far prefer to draft somebody boring but reliable like Trent Green or Brett Favre in the 6th or 7th than burn a 2nd on Culpepper.

1) Using Consensus Rankings as cheatsheets
2) Thinking your idiosyncratic judgement is superior to the collective judgement of thousands of other experts.
You don't understand my statement. Think long and hard and you may figure it out.

2) Thinking your idiosyncratic judgement is superior to the collective judgement of thousands of other experts.
You don't understand my statement. Think long and hard and you may figure it out.
Well, I would argue that consensus rankings are probably at least as good as anything a person would put together on his own, which seems to be diametrically opposed to what you were claiming. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I agree on the QB early thing being the worst. It isn't necessarily a matter of landing a sleeper. I would far prefer to draft somebody boring but reliable like Trent Green or Brett Favre in the 6th or 7th than burn a 2nd on Culpepper.
That's what I'm talking about Ivan. Predrafting during a draft is always nice too!! :angry:

Well, I would argue that consensus rankings are probably at least as good as anything a person would put together on his own, which seems to be diametrically opposed to what you were claiming. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
The rankings are based on projections...not on where you should draft players.

To take it to an extreme(as unrealistic as it is) if QB's got 100 points for a TD pass, and all other TD's were still 6 points, Manning would be an easy top 2 pick, and rightfully so. Now if QB's got 1 point per TD pass, with all other TD's still 6 points, i would probably be taking a kicker before Manning. Now i know it is not near that drastic going from 3 to 5 or 4 to 6 points per TD pass, but to say it means nothing based on VBD, or for whatever other reason is wrong, and one of the biggest mistakes one can make.
OK...I've sat idlely by long enoughthe value of the TD pass, or the change in value of a TD pass leaves a negligible differance in the QB rankings...why? because the change applies to all QB's

but let's not argue theory...top 12 QB's, from FBG's projections:

FF Points--4-TD/3-TD ..... VBD-4/3 per TD pass

1-Culpepper-361(334)...100(101)

2-Manning---326(297).....65(64)

3-Vick--------312(295).....50(62)

4-McNabb----303(282).....42(49)

5-McNair-----297(275).....36(42)

6-Hass-------296(271).....35(38)

7-Bulger-----294(270).....33(37)

8-Brooks----291(267).....30(34)

9-Green-----286(262).....25(29)

10-Garcia---279(259).....18(26)

11-Brady----275(252).....14(19)

12-Favre----261(233).....00(00)

baseline QB (QB12-Favre) is the same for each set...none of the QB's changed position, when TD passes were dropped in value from 4(in FBG's projectons) to 3..

Culpepper, as QB1, has a VBD value of 100 when TD's are figured at 4 and 101 when figured at 3

Vick DOES become MORE valuable, as the value of TD passes drops, because he has a high FF point total derived from rushing TD's, whose value does not change as passing TD's changes

it is true Manning would have some seperation from Vick and the other 'running' QB's, if TD's went from 4 to 5 points, but not enough to change the draft board, only seperate him ALITTLE from the crowd (~10-12 points)

think of it like this...if we change the value of ALL FG's to 10, putting top K's well over 300 FF points, would we start drafting K's early?

I would hope not...the change applies to ALL K's, therefore not overly changing the VALUE of any of these K's signifigantly, with each other

Regarding the topic, of single biggest mistake---not adapting to the dynamics of the draft...

I see so many guys go into a draft 'wanting' McNabb in the second and getting all giddy when they announce such a pick---and passing on valuable position players to do so...sure-fire way to miss the playoffs, by not letting the draft 'come-to-you'

Last edited by a moderator:
think of it like this...if we change the value of ALL FG's to 10, putting top K's well over 300 FF points, would we start drafting K's early?I would hope not...the change applies to ALL K's, therefore not overly changing the VALUE of any of these K's signifigantly, with each other
Not really fair comparison, as QB's are a little more predictablethan kickers, but with that said, if field goals were worth 10 points, i sure would take a kicker higher. maybe not in the first 8-10 rounds but certainly earlier than the 20th.

I would second not knowing the scoring rules. First 3 years in one of my leagues, didn't realize that in the scoring system, the only consistent scorers other than the top 3-4 RBs were defenses. Picked one last year a lot earlier than normal (got lucky being a NE homer) and did much better. Just an example.

Not knowing your league rules.
This has got to be the biggest mistake in fantasy football.A good FFer must not only KNOW the rules but UNDERSTAND them and be ABLE to target players who benefit from little nuances in league rules.This, IMHO, is the difference between a shark and a guppie.

To take it to an extreme(as unrealistic as it is) if QB's got 100 points for a TD pass, and all other TD's were still 6 points, Manning would be an easy top 2 pick, and rightfully so. Now if QB's got 1 point per TD pass, with all other TD's still 6 points, i would probably be taking a kicker before Manning. Now i know it is not near that drastic going from 3 to 5 or 4 to 6 points per TD pass, but to say it means nothing based on VBD, or for whatever other reason is wrong, and one of the biggest mistakes one can make.
OK...I've sat idlely by long enoughthe value of the TD pass, or the change in value of a TD pass leaves a negligible differance in the QB rankings...why? because the change applies to all QB's

but let's not argue theory...top 12 QB's, from FBG's projections:

FF Points--4-TD/3-TD ..... VBD-4/3 per TD pass

1-Culpepper-361(334)...100(101)

2-Manning---326(297).....65(64)

3-Vick--------312(295).....50(62)

4-McNabb----303(282).....42(49)

5-McNair-----297(275).....36(42)

6-Hass-------296(271).....35(38)

7-Bulger-----294(270).....33(37)

8-Brooks----291(267).....30(34)

9-Green-----286(262).....25(29)

10-Garcia---279(259).....18(26)

11-Brady----275(252).....14(19)

12-Favre----261(233).....00(00)

baseline QB (QB12-Favre) is the same for each set...none of the QB's changed position, when TD passes were dropped in value from 4(in FBG's projectons) to 3..

Culpepper, as QB1, has a VBD value of 100 when TD's are figured at 4 and 101 when figured at 3

Vick DOES become MORE valuable, as the value of TD passes drops, because he has a high FF point total derived from rushing TD's, whose value does not change as passing TD's changes

it is true Manning would have some seperation from Vick and the other 'running' QB's, if TD's went from 4 to 5 points, but not enough to change the draft board, only seperate him ALITTLE from the crowd (~10-12 points)

think of it like this...if we change the value of ALL FG's to 10, putting top K's well over 300 FF points, would we start drafting K's early?

I would hope not...the change applies to ALL K's, therefore not overly changing the VALUE of any of these K's signifigantly, with each other

Regarding the topic, of single biggest mistake---not adapting to the dynamics of the draft...

I see so many guys go into a draft 'wanting' McNabb in the second and getting all giddy when they announce such a pick---and passing on valuable position players to do so...sure-fire way to miss the playoffs, by not letting the draft 'come-to-you'
:thumbup: Rock on!!!

think of it like this...if we change the value of ALL FG's to 10, putting top K's well over 300 FF points, would we start drafting K's early?I would hope not...the change applies to ALL K's, therefore not overly changing the VALUE of any of these K's signifigantly, with each other
That all depends. Brings us to our next point tonight...
QUOTE (Dvorak @ Jul 1 2004, 12:23 PM) Not knowing your league rules. This has got to be the biggest mistake in fantasy football.A good FFer must not only KNOW the rules but UNDERSTAND them and be ABLE to target players who benefit from little nuances in league rules.This, IMHO, is the difference between a shark and a guppie.
If your league allows you to start 2 or more kickers, and FGs are worth 10 points, I guarantee you'll draft kickers higher. (or, rather "should")

Not knowing your league rules.
This has got to be the biggest mistake in fantasy football.A good FFer must not only KNOW the rules but UNDERSTAND them and be ABLE to target players who benefit from little nuances in league rules.This, IMHO, is the difference between a shark and a guppie.
1. Exactly. Understand the rules and how theya ffect how you should build your team in any particular league. You can know the rules all you want. If you don't understand how it's going to affect your roster moves/depth and flexibility during the season for starters and trade bait, forget about a title.I am giving 2 more...2 bad FrankNBeans. :rotflmao: 2. Being drunk at the draft. Don't start on your 2nd drink of the day until rnd 2. Basically have one with the guys when you get there, encouraging them to feel comfortable with you drinking just like them. Offer to make drinks with the Rum and Coke you brought. Hold off for your 2nd until at least the 2nd round then nurse it to the 8-10 rnd if possible. Drink water now, make drinks for everyone during your trip to kitchen (do this all day, your such a giver). Bring beers with the drinks. Kick their butts in rnd 10-20 and start drinking for real at rnd 17 (only need a kicker and Defense now anyways)3. Believe that stats/gut/FBG tools and basic football knowledge(for those that have it) are not important to FF success. Please believe that luck is all it takes. You keep doing that and I'll keep looking at every possilbe opinion on the NFL from straight NFL talk to FF talk/stat geeks/ to checking out the betting lines (hey Vegas knows there shiznit and if playing a WR3 is chosen by me, sometimes, becuase the O/U is 54.5 in Vegas, so be it). Combine it all and try to mix it all in for your own recipee. It's like cooking, adjust the ingredients to your own taste. It's not like baking, where you need to follow the recipee exactly for it to work. God, did I really just use cooking and baking to break it down? :bag: I guess I did. :P

A big mistake I see with guppies is just crossing off names, not knowing which team got whom. Even just tracking positions isn't enough: if you only know that a team has 2 RBs, you may let your sleeper try to slide another round. If you know that the 2 RBs are Faulk and T.Jones, you realize he's probably going to insure them soon. Boy I see this a lot.

The biggest mistake I make every year is spending 25 bucks or so on magazines that never ever tell me anything that i don't already know.~Bang

The biggest mistake I make every year is spending 25 bucks or so on magazines that never ever tell me anything that i don't already know.~Bang
Very true! but I think its $25 well spent, as most of the owners in my league use them as a bible. You see who they are targeting, sleepers etc. In my opinion it gives me just another leg up on them. I know what they are thinking but they don't know what I've gotten from FBG's :rotflmao:

I understand your point perfectly, however, don't you think that in a system where ALL TD's are worth 6, then there is some seperation of the "elite" QB's and the average QB's. My league is run this way (6 for all) and plugging in that info and the rest of the scoring system (below) into Draft Dominator(Joes Secret Formula Baseline) then Daunte becomes the number 11 overall player. Peyton = 20 overall. The next QB it spits out is Hasselbeck at #46 overall. I think this shows a big difference- from a projected points standpoint those two are head and shoulders above the rest at their position. I would not consider it a "reach" to take either one of them in round 3.Scoring/Positions - 10 Teams Redraft1QB2RB3WR/TE1PK1Def/ST6 points all TD1pt=10 yds Rush/Rec.1pt = 25 yds Pass.5 pts per reception WR/TE only

Call it arrogance, but it's not as if these people know anything significant that I don't.
And it's not like you know anything significant that they don't.
Sure I do. This will sound bad, but I'm smarter than most people and thus have an easier time solving life's puzzles. Fantasy football is one of those puzzles. It's up to you to find the answers, but they're out there. Reasonable people can determine who is a good value in a draft and who is not by looking at a number of factors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daunte becomes the number 11 overall player. Peyton = 20 overall. The next QB it spits out is Hasselbeck at #46 overall. I think this shows a big difference- from a projected points standpoint those two are head and shoulders above the rest at their position. I would not consider it a "reach" to take either one of them in round 3.
That's the thing, people that state matter of factly that it is a bad move to take a QB in the late 2nd/early 3rd don't understand what VBD is.Getting guys who can seperate themselves from the peers at their position is huge, and the QB's who do this are quite valuable...and worth a mid-late 2nd rounder IMO.Many throw out the term VBD and all these other terms without having any idea of what the basic principles of it are. The thing that is baffling, is that the VBD tool even ranks these QB's high (C-Pepp/Manning in this case), yet people say it is a bad move and they use VBD as their reasoning. They don't understand what they are saying or doing in drafts.Not to mention the predictability of the top QB's like C-Pepp and Manning are a ton higher than the RB's available at that point.So I say the biggest mistake people make is having no understanding of what they are doing, and it's quite evident reading this post that many don't.In most cases I myself will opt with the RB in the 2nd, but I would never be so ignorant to flatly state that taking a QB is always a bad move in the mid-late 2nd.

Call it arrogance, but it's not as if these people know anything significant that I don't.
And it's not like you know anything significant that they don't.
Sure I do. This will sound bad, but I'm smarter than most people and thus have an easier time solving life's puzzles. Fantasy football is one of those puzzles. It's up to you to find the answers, but they're out there. Reasonable people can determine who is a good value in a draft and who is not by looking at a number of factors.
Exactly. The general consensus takes everyone's rankings into account, even those with no business making them, thus I agree that most "sharks" rankings can and should be more accurate than general consensus rankings.And yes, EastBay is a hell of a lot smarter and better at FF than most of the general FF players, thus I would consider his rankings far more reliable than the general consensus ones.

What many have skirted, w/o coming right out to say is:Not drafting for VALUE! = UGH!This entire thread can almost be simplified by the above statement. I would also like to add: Not knowing the tendencies of your league-mates. Looking historically at your league will give you a good idea of how others will draft. While it is not a science, using multiple mocks (picking as you believe your league-mates will), sheds great light on where value can be found in your draft. Knowing the one guy who never picks a QB until after the 8th, or the guy who always picks RB, RB, RB will give great insight into who should be available at your next pick. = If you are not thinking at least one pick ahead, you are a guppy

i sure would take a kicker higher
some guys just don't get it :no:
LOL. Hard to believe so many on a generally well informed board like this one can't get this concept.
Funny I was thinking that very same thing.The point about people not getting the basic concept of VBD is a good one too. In fact I think :-)looks over shoulder:) the ONLY thing worthwhile about VBD is the basic concept, ie not just drafting for value but drafting to get the biggest overall gap between your players and your opponents (in fact that is the "value"). Ivan is right that going from 4 to 6 doesn't suddenly make QBs a zillion times more valuable, but it does matter, ie increasing their TD pts makes getting a better one more valuable because there is now more separation between QBs throwing more and less TD passes. If you made passing yards 1 pt/5 yds you'd see the same thing for high-yardage QBs. If you can't see this, take the QB TDs = 100 pts example. If that is true, you're a complete fool if you don't put a very high priority on QBs. PKs would be similar (but as someone said, they're more volatile, so it's not exactly the same). And if WR TDs = 100 pts, you better believe I'm aiming for Moss #1. duh.

Far and away the biggest fantasy mistake is thinking your friends and co-workers want to hear you talk about your damn fantasy football team.Distant second is taking it too seriously.

Sure I do. This will sound bad, but I'm smarter than most people and thus have an easier time solving life's puzzles.
You're right. It sounded bad. Might want to clarify.The average person who has the leisure time to spend all day on these boards is not lazy, they're generally fairly intelligent and have earned that leisure time. By the way, the average dude in the FFA can do amazing things. Just ask him.

Users who are viewing this thread