What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Tommy Lee Jones signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Doolittle - Coal Miners Daughter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gary Gilmore - Executioners Song

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Woodrow Call - Lonesome Dove

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Claw Shaw - JFK

• Strannix - Under Siege

• Samuel Gerard - The Fugitive

Votes: 71 65.1%
  • Cobb - Ty Cobb

• Two Face - Batman Forever

• Kay - Men in Black

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • Chip Hazard - Small Soldiers

• Hawk Hawkins - Space Cowboys

• Colonel Phillips - Captain America

• Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

badmojo1006

Footballguy
Pretty sure we haven't done him.

Tough choices. See it down to Lonesome Dove, The Fugitive and Men in Black, though I remember him first in Coal Miners Daughter

Went with Men in Black

Gilmore was my first instinct because TLJ mde such a big impression on me with it but, now that i think of it, a lot of people could have played Gilmore better. Cap'n Call is obvious but i think i'll go off page and pick his starring role in his own movie, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Not only one of the best Hollywood vanity projects ever but a great love song to the stinkin' desert. Pete Perkins is vintage TLJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Its Gerard or Kay and I went with Gerard because it is a much better movie, but i forgot how great he was as Strannix. 

"I didn't kill my wife!"

"I don't care!"
Thats the best line but i also like

Listen up, ladies and gentlemen! Our fugitive has been on the run for 90 minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is 4 miles an hour which gives us a radius of 6 miles! What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at 15 miles! Our fugitive's name is Dr. Richard Kimble. Go get him.

Men in Black doesn't feel like a signature role for a guy I think I must overrate after looking at his filmography. But I'll go with it.

Is it just me or does it seem like he's had a better career? Not that it's bad, but if you were to ask me out right to grade his career I'd have it higher by gut than by actually reviewing his list.

Men in Black doesn't feel like a signature role for a guy I think I must overrate after looking at his filmography. But I'll go with it.

Is it just me or does it seem like he's had a better career? Not that it's bad, but if you were to ask me out right to grade his career I'd have it higher by gut than by actually reviewing his list.
I thought the same thing when I looked at the poll options. I really like TLJ but some real dogs in the team photo. 

I can't hear anything, my, my ear is uh. . .can't believe you did that.  

You think I shoulda bargained with that guy?

Yeah, I do, you coulda missed, coulda killed me.

Yeah.  How bad's that ear?

It's terrible, I'm gonna have permanent hearing damage.

Lemme see it, come here.  Can you hear what I'm sayin' now?

Yeah.

I don't bargain. . . you hear that?

Yeah.

Good.

I went with Woodrow Call, but I think you need No Country for Old Men on this list.

And IMO you can take JFK off of there, if he was ever bad in a movie that was it.

The part in Lonesome Dove when he takes out the bad guy picking on Ricky Schroeder was his best.
That was good, but I thought the scene when he faced off against Angelica Huston on his way back to Texas was even better. He didn't get a chance to say much more than "I gave him my horse" while she went on a tirade for the ages, but the looks on his face (he knows he's done wrong, but also can't believe it and doesn't know how to do any different anyway) is an awesome piece of acting. 

Woodrow Call was a seriously messed up, emotionally-stunted dude who was also supposed to be a hero in this story. He ruined a bunch of lives, including his best friend and his own kid.

TLJ's performance was about 20 years ahead of its time, given what we've seen since Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Mad Men.

That was good, but I thought the scene when he faced off against Angelica Huston on his way back to Texas was even better. He didn't get a chance to say much more than "I gave him my horse" while she went on a tirade for the ages, but the looks on his face (he knows he's done wrong, but also can't believe it and doesn't know how to do any different anyway) is an awesome piece of acting. 

Woodrow Call was a seriously messed up, emotionally-stunted dude who was also supposed to be a hero in this story. He ruined a bunch of lives, including his best friend and his own kid.

TLJ's performance was about 20 years ahead of its time, given what we've seen since Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Mad Men.
:thumbup:

His pairing with Robert Duval was cinematic perfection.  Need to watch that again. 

Not his signature role by any means but I loved him as Warden Dwight McClusky in Natural Born Killers :)

"Napalatoni: Warden!

Dwight McClusky: Yes! What is it, Natapundi?

Napalatoni: Napalatoni!

Dwight McClusky: I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR F*CKING NAME IS!

Napalatoni: Mickey and Mallory Knox are loose, Scagnetti's dead, and they're live on national TV!

Dwight McClusky: LIVE ON NATIONAL TV? JESUS HAROLD CHRIST ON A F*CKING RUBBER CRUTCH, IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?"

Users who are viewing this thread