What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What NFL Team Has The Best Fans? (1 Viewer)

Chiefs

Packers

Bears

Steelers

Broncos

Eagles

Browns

Steelers fans have great turnout but pride themselves on being obnoxious. I'm not sure what makes them do this, but it is a huge turnoff to other fans.

Chiefs fans are unreal in Arrowhead, but to disgrace the National Anthem with the whole ...home of the Chiefs thing is just not good.

For those reasons, I'll take the Packers fans. They own the team for goodness sakes!

I'm a tremendous Colts homer and love how our fanbase is growing, but until the "old money" that sits in the Club Seats moves out, we will still be behind other cities.

However, the Dome is among the loudest stadiums in the NFL, piped in sound or not. haha
I think I lot of this perception has to do with the fact that we invade other teams stadiums and cheer for our team. It really wouldn't matter how civil you are that’s going to piss people off. We've also had a lot of success the last decade so it’s easy to talk down to most other teams, and fans will do that. Also, when the interactions with Steeler fans aren't simply when they're meet in enemy territory then it's over the internet, and internet bloggers have never been tagged as the most mature demographic. I don't care what team you are, you have a lot of annoying internet posters who think your team is the best thing to ever happen to football and will lash out like 4 year olds if told different. I simply refuse to believe that Steeler fans are really that much more annoying then any other teams fan base, and that if any other fan base would go to as many opposing stadiums as ours do then they’d have the same persona.
And when we can see that people are annoyed at our presence, that makes us intensify our energy that much more. Pittsburgh people are mostly very friendly people, but this post is on point, in the role of hostile invader, its hard for anyone to come off well.
I can think of a few who have come off well. The Chiefs, Packers, Bears, and Rams for instance.
I think most of us would come off well except that we tend to get real boisterous when we see our steeler brothers and sisters away from home.
Boisterous and taunting are two different things. A few bad apples spoil the bunch. It was the same for the Fins fans.

I know a lot of praise has been heaped on the KC fans, but as one of those fans, the team just to thr west down I-70 has some fans that piss me off more than any others. The Denver Bronco fans are obnoxious to the hilt, but that makes for a great rivalry.

Look at the last 30 or so seasons between KC-DEN...the two teams, even in their down seasons, still were average @ home. And in H2H meetings, the home team probably wins 90% of the time.

I think KC and DEN benefit from being the only shows NFL-wise for hundreds of miles. When you look at it, from MINN to DALL, for a long time, KC and DEN were "it". The two teams probably have strong fans from Arkansas to Idaho.

Now, you have the Rams, but trust me, that is a baseball town. Rams games are like tennis matches. People go and then act like they are @ Center court at the French Open.

another thread mentioned the steelers PSLs that sold for 21K and 17K just last week :confused: i'm not talking about tickets, just the right to buy tickets.

steelers fans rock.

oddball said:
Wu-banger said:
WOW... kinda surprised that the Eagles are on the list.They have the worst fans IMO.Not because of the booing Santa or cheering players getting hurt, but the fact is that they are some of the first fans to turn on their team and say how bad McNAbb is or how bad so and so is or that the Eagles suck altogether after a couple loses... but if the Eagles win a couple games they blindly proclaim them the best team in the NFL.They have no sense of levelheaded judgement...A true fan always cheers for their team and hopes the best for them...!!!
That right there is some :thumbup:
:X

Master of Past and Present said:
Green and Gold said:
Green Bay.
Never bought this considering I went to school in Wisconsin and I watched all the Cowboy jackets turn into Packer jackets once the Cowboys stopped making the Super Bowl and the Packers did. Most overrated fan base is more likely than best.
We are talking about Footall Fans here, not school children wearing cool clothes.

Green and Gold said:
Green Bay.
Never bought this considering I went to school in Wisconsin and I watched all the Cowboy jackets turn into Packer jackets once the Cowboys stopped making the Super Bowl and the Packers did. Most overrated fan base is more likely than best.
That's because you went to school in Wisconsin, you didn't really live there. Go outside any of the college towns and it's all Green Bay, all the time. The average 60 year old woman in Fon Du Lac can tell you the 3rd string QB on the Packers and where he went to college. Maybe it's just my extended family that live there, and their friends, and their friend's friends who fall into this category, but there is just no way on this Earth that any of these people are fair weather fans. Living in New England for the past 20 years, the only type of fandom I've seen like Packer fandom is for the Red Sox.Now, I'm not saying Chief fans couldn't be better. I don't know, I don't know any Chief fans. They could be. But Packer fans are great too.

From that article...

32. Arizona: Half empty stadiums on Sunday as far as the eye can see. New crib is being built as we speak, as if that will actually change anything. Two problems I see here besides the fact the teams have always sucked. 1) Worst owner in football 2) A nickname that is both stupid and not even remotely appropriate for the geography.
The new stadium was full every week in its first year. Sure the second season will tell alot, but there's now a season ticket waiting list. Sun Devil stadium was half empty because nobody wanted to bake on a metal bleacher in August and September. By October, the team was usually in such a tailspin, nobody wanted to watch a miserable product. As for the nickname argument, I've heard it before, but it's not as if we just discovered Lions, Bears, and Bengal tigers now roaming the midwest while the Cardinal is absent from the desert.

Green and Gold said:
Green Bay.
The impressive thing about Packer fans is that Green Bay has a population of only 102,313, and yet the Packers regularly sell out Lambeau Field (capacity 72,000+) even in zero degree weather.Also, when the Packers played at San Diego in 2003, there were a huge number of Packer fans there. (That actually happens a lot in San Diego -- almost half the Stadium is in Silver & Black when the Raiders come down here. But Green Bay is a lot farther away, so their trip was more impressive.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, you have the Rams, but trust me, that is a baseball town. Rams games are like tennis matches. People go and then act like they are @ Center court at the French Open.
The same could be said about the Patriots. Boston is a Red Sox town and the Pats, even with all of their success, still come in second in fan enthusiasm. Now sure, the TV ratings are there and Patriots talk goes on all the time on local sports stations, but the passion isn't the same. Case in point, during the past few years, Patriots players have been vocally upset about the lack of crowd noise at home games at Gillette. For a team with so much success to have to issue a wakeup call to its own fans, is beyond embarrassing.You'd NEVER find that at Fenway Park.

Yah_Shoor_Yoobetchya said:
T H E P I T T S B U R G H S T E E L E R S No other team even close
I think you've confused the Steelers with the Green Bay Packers.Consider the following:Packers home games sold out since 1960.73,989 people on the waiting list for Packers season tickets.With roughly 156 season tickets becoming available each year, it would take approximately 474 years to become a Packers season ticket holder.Me thinks you better get in line.
What the hell else is there to do in GB? :lmao:

No mention of Pats fans?
:goodposting: Make sure to tip your waitress!Let me preface this by saying I have no "hater" agenda here. If you scroll up to the start of this thread, you'll see that this diehard Raider fan chose Steeler, Packer and Chief fans as the cream of the crop.

With that out of the way, I live 30 minutes from Gillette Stadium. I run into Pats fans every day who you just KNOW became Pats fans right around January of 2002, and it's pretty f'n disgusting. When the Patriots were stringing together those horrific 1-15 and 2-14 type seasons in the early 90s, Foxboro Stadium was a ghost town. The players used to go into the stands and personally introduce themselves to the fans -- that's how few of them showed up. I'm speaking from personal experience, BTW. Despite liking the Raiders, I went to New England's home games quite often. This was pre-Directv days, so I could not watch the Raiders anyway.

So of course, every Pats fan I meet these days swear that they were in the stands during those lean years. Yeah.... right. :shrug: Interestingly, not many of them can name more than one or two players on those teams. They usually get Andre Tippett and Irving Fryar. The REALLY good liars will even throw John Stephens out there too!

For those of you who actually did root for the Pats in those years... I salute you.

Just know that you are in the minority.

From that article...

32. Arizona: Half empty stadiums on Sunday as far as the eye can see. New crib is being built as we speak, as if that will actually change anything. Two problems I see here besides the fact the teams have always sucked. 1) Worst owner in football 2) A nickname that is both stupid and not even remotely appropriate for the geography.
The new stadium was full every week in its first year. Sure the second season will tell alot, but there's now a season ticket waiting list. Sun Devil stadium was half empty because nobody wanted to bake on a metal bleacher in August and September. By October, the team was usually in such a tailspin, nobody wanted to watch a miserable product. As for the nickname argument, I've heard it before, but it's not as if we just discovered Lions, Bears, and Bengal tigers now roaming the midwest while the Cardinal is absent from the desert.
I like the name too, its been following that team for far to long to be changed just because.

I think I lot of this perception has to do with the fact that we invade other teams stadiums and cheer for our team. It really wouldn't matter how civil you are that’s going to piss people off. We've also had a lot of success the last decade so it’s easy to talk down to most other teams, and fans will do that. Also, when the interactions with Steeler fans aren't simply when they're meet in enemy territory then it's over the internet, and internet bloggers have never been tagged as the most mature demographic. I don't care what team you are, you have a lot of annoying internet posters who think your team is the best thing to ever happen to football and will lash out like 4 year olds if told different. I simply refuse to believe that Steeler fans are really that much more annoying then any other teams fan base, and that if any other fan base would go to as many opposing stadiums as ours do then they’d have the same persona.
I have to say, I don't read blogs- my only interaction with Steelers fans has been through the internet (well, and a friend of mine married into the Rooneys, which sort of makes him Pittsburgh royalty). Speaking strictly based on interactions on this message board, nothing else... I'd have to say that Pittsburgh have some of the most annoying fans around. They have some great, classy, well-educated fans, absolutely... but they also have one of the largest shares of ignorant, whiny, annoying fans, too. That's not any agenda against the Steelers, that's just a personal observation based on my experiences on this website.
Yah_Shoor_Yoobetchya said:
Consider the following:

Packers home games sold out since 1960.
'Fraid not. They can't have. Washington owns the consecutive sellout record, and it dates back to 1968. Denver's second, with a streak dating back to the first game of 1970.Fun fact: The Broncos have sold every seat to every NFL football game they have ever played.

No mention of Pats fans?
:lmao: Make sure to tip your waitress!Let me preface this by saying I have no "hater" agenda here. If you scroll up to the start of this thread, you'll see that this diehard Raider fan chose Steeler, Packer and Chief fans as the cream of the crop.

With that out of the way, I live 30 minutes from Gillette Stadium. I run into Pats fans every day who you just KNOW became Pats fans right around January of 2002, and it's pretty f'n disgusting. When the Patriots were stringing together those horrific 1-15 and 2-14 type seasons in the early 90s, Foxboro Stadium was a ghost town. The players used to go into the stands and personally introduce themselves to the fans -- that's how few of them showed up. I'm speaking from personal experience, BTW. Despite liking the Raiders, I went to New England's home games quite often. This was pre-Directv days, so I could not watch the Raiders anyway.

So of course, every Pats fan I meet these days swear that they were in the stands during those lean years. Yeah.... right. :shrug: Interestingly, not many of them can name more than one or two players on those teams. They usually get Andre Tippett and Irving Fryar. The REALLY good liars will even throw John Stephens out there too!

For those of you who actually did root for the Pats in those years... I salute you.

It goes WAAAAAY beyond just a lack of support when the Pats are bad. If we were talking about the *WORST* fans in the entire league, the Pats would be my choice in a runaway. I mean, after the Patriots won the first superbowl in franchise history, after that team completed the most improbable upset in NFL history and secured their place as a team for the ages, do you know what the fans were chanting? "Yankees suck". What a f*cking disgrace.

Saints Fans. They have had to endure such terrible, terrible teams, but they always seem to sell out. That's the mark of a great fan base.

Speaking strictly based on interactions on this message board, nothing else... I'd have to say that Pittsburgh have some of the most annoying fans around.
That's because BGP puts them on tilt.
I'd love to play poker with some of those guys. "I have an off suited 2 and 8 in the hole, but with my Steelers hat on, a Franco jersey, and five imitation plastic super bowl rings I'm going all in because I have the nuts baby!"

Finless said:
The same could be said about the Patriots. Boston is a Red Sox town and the Pats, even with all of their success, still come in second in fan enthusiasm. Now sure, the TV ratings are there and Patriots talk goes on all the time on local sports stations, but the passion isn't the same. Case in point, during the past few years, Patriots players have been vocally upset about the lack of crowd noise at home games at Gillette. For a team with so much success to have to issue a wakeup call to its own fans, is beyond embarrassing.You'd NEVER find that at Fenway Park.
Patriots fans are just well behaved...they are not animals.
Patriots fans aren't well behaved. They're horrible. They barely even support their own team. They only show up to games because the Pats are winning, and they hardly even care about their team, preferring to chant *BASEBALL CHANTS* at FOOTBALL GAMES.I mean, what a slap in the freaking face that the Patriots players lay it all on the line and win a superbowl for their city, and are rewarded by hearing their fans whine about baseball. What ingrateful SOBs. In my mind, no fanbase has *EVER* shown as little class as the Patriots Fans did after beating St. Louis in 2001. I can't think of a single fanbase that is by and large as undeserving of the success they've been blessed with than the Patriots fans.Plus they do tend to be ridiculously whiny. Steelers fans, Cowboys fans, Niners fans, and Packers fans have all shown they know how to win with class. Not so for Patriots fans. (I'd like to add Broncos fans to the first list, as well, but obviously I lack perspective on that :unsure: ).

Redskins fans have typically been considered among the most devoted, selling out their stadiums with huge waiting lists for season tix through decades of thin football. People forget that before George Allen showed up in the 1970's, that team had sucked for 30 years.

Their gargantuan stadium doesn't help things, but they still are devoted.

I wouldn't put them at the top of any category you'd want to make (devotion, craziest, strong out of region presence, etc.) but they make a strong showing IMHO in all categories.

Seahawks! They are the loudest. They are the best.
Au contraire. Chiefs fans are the loudest. Measurably so. Arrowhead holds more fans and the accoustics funnel the noise right down into the bowl. No open ends to leak out sound. And all this without the help of a dome.

Wu-banger said:
WOW... kinda surprised that the Eagles are on the list.They have the worst fans IMO.Not because of the booing Santa or cheering players getting hurt, but the fact is that they are some of the first fans to turn on their team and say how bad McNAbb is or how bad so and so is or that the Eagles suck altogether after a couple loses... but if the Eagles win a couple games they blindly proclaim them the best team in the NFL.They have no sense of levelheaded judgement...A true fan always cheers for their team and hopes the best for them...!!!
:goodposting: As an Eagles fan, I agree with this but I know a lot of other fans wouldn't. Philly seems to be a city of bandwagon jumpers though. Not just with the Eagles, but with all our teams. A perfect example is the Phantoms a couple seasons ago (2?) As soon as they started winning everyone was all over them. People who never even watched them before would suddenly be all about them.More evidence - Spend 10 minutes on the Eagles message board. I haven't been to other teams sites so I don't know if its like this with all teams, but outside of four or five posters the majority are idiots. There's more or less only three types: Blame the FO for everything and claim the Eagles have the worst FO ever, proclaim the Eagles to be the best team in football year round with absolutely no needs whatsoever, and the bandwagon jumpers. The bandwagon jumpers are the same fans who will bash a player the Eagles sign/draft, and if he plays well, will say they supported him from the beginning.

I have to say, I don't read blogs- my only interaction with Steelers fans has been through the internet (well, and a friend of mine married into the Rooneys, which sort of makes him Pittsburgh royalty). Speaking strictly based on interactions on this message board, nothing else... I'd have to say that Pittsburgh have some of the most annoying fans around. They have some great, classy, well-educated fans, absolutely... but they also have one of the largest shares of ignorant, whiny, annoying fans, too. That's not any agenda against the Steelers, that's just a personal observation based on my experiences on this website.
Consider the following:

Packers home games sold out since 1960.
'Fraid not. They can't have. Washington owns the consecutive sellout record, and it dates back to 1968. Denver's second, with a streak dating back to the first game of 1970.Fun fact: The Broncos have sold every seat to every NFL football game they have ever played.

No mention of Pats fans?
:lmao: Make sure to tip your waitress!Let me preface this by saying I have no "hater" agenda here. If you scroll up to the start of this thread, you'll see that this diehard Raider fan chose Steeler, Packer and Chief fans as the cream of the crop.

So of course, every Pats fan I meet these days swear that they were in the stands during those lean years. Yeah.... right. :pickle: Interestingly, not many of them can name more than one or two players on those teams. They usually get Andre Tippett and Irving Fryar. The REALLY good liars will even throw John Stephens out there too!

It goes WAAAAAY beyond just a lack of support when the Pats are bad. If we were talking about the *WORST* fans in the entire league, the Pats would be my choice in a runaway. I mean, after the Patriots won the first superbowl in franchise history, after that team completed the most improbable upset in NFL history and secured their place as a team for the ages, do you know what the fans were chanting? "Yankees suck". What a f*cking disgrace.
FYI link to packer sell out infolink

everytime I see a thread like this I immediately say Pittsburgh Steelers fans - bar none.

they come to the Meadowlands (Jets) in droves to the point where they cause a bit of a panic where you may not get your normal spot if you're late. They are respectful, knowledeable, avid, generous, party goers who just love their Steelers. What's not to like about Steelers fans?

Au contraire. Chiefs fans are the loudest. Measurably so. Arrowhead holds more fans and the accoustics funnel the noise right down into the bowl. No open ends to leak out sound. And all this without the help of a dome.
Chiefs fans are the loudest OPEN AIR fans. I'd put my Colts fans up there for loudest Dome fans.

Everyone knows it's Green Bay. Down there 70 year old farmers wives know more about football than most team's fans.

You have to define best fans. Loud screamers aren't the best fans to me, knowledgable ones are.

Would have to agree that KC has the best fans at the stadium, but as far as bandwagon fans that would go to the Steelers or the Cowboys.

The team that seems to slide under the radar is Seattle. Being a Broncos fan I think Denver hated going to the Kingdome just as much as they hated going to Arrowhead.

Chiefs fans are the loudest OPEN AIR fans. I'd put my Colts fans up there for loudest Dome fans.
With or without the simulated crowd noise sent in through the speakers? :useless:

What do you mean by best? Fan knowledge & loyalty(sticking with the team through lean years) Attendance(streaks also have to be weighed with the capacity of the stadium)? Financial support(PSLs, merchandizing)?

I think the Saints are up there, but from being a Saints season ticket holder for a decade and experiencing visiting fans I would rate the Packers the best, then the Redskins. Both teams brought a large contigent to the game, but I was very impressed with fan knowledge of their team and the game in general from Packer fans.

I can't comment about the Chiefs since I don't remember playing them in New Orleans during my time of owning tickets.

If you are talking about passionate, the state of Pennsylvania, both the Eagles and the Steelers fans. These fans travel very well to opposing stadiums. I'm not saying they are the nicest fans by any stretch, but you want fans that care and have passion, the Keystone state it is. PA. got voted the #1 football state.

Finless said:
Finless said:
Patriots fans are just well behaved...they are not animals.
Patriots fans aren't well behaved. They're horrible. They barely even support their own team. They only show up to games because the Pats are winning, and they hardly even care about their team, preferring to chant *BASEBALL CHANTS* at FOOTBALL GAMES.I mean, what a slap in the freaking face that the Patriots players lay it all on the line and win a superbowl for their city, and are rewarded by hearing their fans whine about baseball. What inungrateful SOBs. In my mind, no fanbase has *EVER* shown as little class as the Patriots Fans did after beating St. Louis in 2001. I can't think of a single fanbase that is by and large as undeserving of the success they've been blessed with than the Patriots fans.

Plus they do tend to be ridiculously whiny. Steelers fans, Cowboys fans, Niners fans, and Packers fans have all shown they know how to win with class. Not so for Patriots fans. (I'd like to add Broncos fans to the first list, as well, but obviously I lack perspective on that :thumbup: ).
Whoa whoa whoa....hold on a minute hear. I sat through the Grogan/Eason years on cold steal benches.
I loved Steve Grogan. He was the man. Eason, not so much. Quick trivia question: Who holds the NFL record for most rushing touchdowns scored by a QB in a season?

I`m a Panthers fan, but I have to go with the Steelers here. Like someone said earlier, they are everywhere, probably even at the North Pole.

Saints Fans. They have had to endure such terrible, terrible teams, but they always seem to sell out. That's the mark of a great fan base.
:goodposting: I've lived here 7 years. Untill last year, you would never see Saints Gear. Now thats all you see. And there has been alot of games not sold out. Before Katrina

Redskins fans have typically been considered among the most devoted, selling out their stadiums with huge waiting lists for season tix through decades of thin football. People forget that before George Allen showed up in the 1970's, that team had sucked for 30 years. Their gargantuan stadium doesn't help things, but they still are devoted. I wouldn't put them at the top of any category you'd want to make (devotion, craziest, strong out of region presence, etc.) but they make a strong showing IMHO in all categories.
:goodposting: Was waiting for Red to speak on this. I would also add the Packers and Steelers as well.

What do you mean by best? Fan knowledge & loyalty(sticking with the team through lean years) Attendance(streaks also have to be weighed with the capacity of the stadium)? Financial support(PSLs, merchandizing)?

I think the Saints are up there, but from being a Saints season ticket holder for a decade and experiencing visiting fans I would rate the Packers the best, then the Redskins. Both teams brought a large contigent to the game, but I was very impressed with fan knowledge of their team and the game in general from Packer fans.

I can't comment about the Chiefs since I don't remember playing them in New Orleans during my time of owning tickets.
Its everything. You can have a great local fan base but if no one supports the team out side of the city then thats a knock against you. You can sell the most jerseys but if its all band wagon fans then thats not good either.

Its everything. You can have a great local fan base but if no one supports the team out side of the city then thats a knock against you. You can sell the most jerseys but if its all band wagon fans then thats not good either.
That is why this debate is really only about a handful of franchises. KC has had 6-10 seasons, 7-9 seasons where they still sold out every game....people still tailgated and drank lots of beer (at that time it was more of a numbing effect lol)I am not knocking bandwagon-type fans. I am one of those in college sports.....but let's not act as if we do not know who the contenders are in this argument.

I can throw out several types of fan bases right off the top:

1. Teams who win regularly in front of quiet stadiums (Rams, Patriots)

2. Any franchise under 12 years old in their current location (Jags, Panthers, Texans, Ravens, Titans)

3. Any team who has one playoff appearance in 30 seasons. (Cardinals)

Anyone else got a qualifier that fits?

everytime I see a thread like this I immediately say Pittsburgh Steelers fans - bar none.they come to the Meadowlands (Jets) in droves to the point where they cause a bit of a panic where you may not get your normal spot if you're late. They are respectful, knowledeable, avid, generous, party goers who just love their Steelers. What's not to like about Steelers fans?
At least someone understands us! We're not intentionally obnoxious, but we're everywhere. In every city and in every stadium. So, it just seems that way! :lmao: I moved from Pittsburgh to Toronto 2 years ago, but I kept my Steelers license plate on my car. About once a month, I get a comment from someone who sees the plate and gives me a "here we go Steelers" in a parking lot. I'd never have guessed that there'd be as big a Steelers following as there is in Toronto.

everytime I see a thread like this I immediately say Pittsburgh Steelers fans - bar none.they come to the Meadowlands (Jets) in droves to the point where they cause a bit of a panic where you may not get your normal spot if you're late. They are respectful, knowledeable, avid, generous, party goers who just love their Steelers. What's not to like about Steelers fans?
At least someone understands us! We're not intentionally obnoxious, but we're everywhere. In every city and in every stadium. So, it just seems that way! :lmao: I moved from Pittsburgh to Toronto 2 years ago, but I kept my Steelers license plate on my car. About once a month, I get a comment from someone who sees the plate and gives me a "here we go Steelers" in a parking lot. I'd never have guessed that there'd be as big a Steelers following as there is in Toronto.
something about being a steeler fan gets into your cells, your DNA, your chemistry.

Users who are viewing this thread