What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Are You A Wine Drinker? (1 Viewer)

Do You Regularly Drink Wine?

• Yes

Votes: 73 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 62.9%

• Total voters
Nope. Used to many years ago but would give me tremendous headaches so I stick with beer/cocktails now...

I wouldn't consider myself a wine drinker but I will drink wine. I live in an area that has wineries all over the place. Going wine tasting is a thing a lot of people around here do. I will go for the social aspect and try some wine but it's not something I will order on my own.

On a rare occasion I will have a glass. I have nothing against it, but there are just other things I like better.

I like a good red when the wife and I go out for a really nice dinner or if we get the house to ourselves.

I’m a whiskey guy as well.

I've been wine tasting maybe 4-5 times in my life and have had the occasional glass at dinner or at a wedding or something. But most certainly not a "wine drinker" in the spirit of the question here.

Went with yes, because of the once-a-month clause. I'm more of a cocktail or beer person, but we always have wine on hand for the better half and I do probably average one plus per month.

I've tried on several occasions and just don't like the taste.

If I'm at an event and there's literally nothing else, I CAN.(just so I'm not the only one not drinking) But it's not a pleasant experience for me. .

Just not my thing :shrug:

Would be interesting to see this broken down by gender.

Neither my wife nor I are drinkers. But she'll get a glass of wine most of the time we eat at a nice restaurant, probably a couple times a month. I might get a mixed drink a half dozen times a year.

I've tried on several occasions and just don't like the taste.

If I'm at an event and there's literally nothing else, I CAN.(just so I'm not the only one not drinking) But it's not a pleasant experience for me. .

Just not my thing :shrug:

It took me awhile. I just never liked it much, and never really pursued it.

Then about 10 years ago a friend brought over a nice red when I was making steaks, and we had the wine with dinner, and it just... it worked. It was perfect with the steak. That got me over the hump. Now my wife and I often share a bottle in the hot tub. I find I like reds - deep, dark reds.

for those of you not as into it but would like to be...some thoughts on how to approach it:
- while i consume without food, it is a much more fun experience paired.
- i think about the type of fruit a wine provides(apple, pear, stone fruit, tropical, citrus, etc for whites; dark fruit, red fruit, fresh vs dried, etc) , and non fruit flavors (wood, earth/stone, spice, vanilla, Tabaco, leather, floral, etc)
- texture
- how the wine plays off of the food, and vice versa

Last edited:

Neither my wife nor I are drinkers. But she'll get a glass of wine most of the time we eat at a nice restaurant, probably a couple times a month. I might get a mixed drink a half dozen times a year.

For better or for worse, if it's on this forum, it's already essentially broken down by gender and age.

99.5% Old Guys.

I'm an equal opportunity drinker. I mostly drink beer, but love some red wine with some cheese and charcuterie. We usually do a home happy hour most Fridays before dinner.

My go to is red Zinfandel. Wife prefers Cab. close enough in my book.

Primarily a beer drinker, but my wife likes her reds and when there's a nicer bottle around, I'll have a small pour with her at dinner or the end of the night. There was a big sale on a nice pinot noir we really enjoy, so I bought two bottles for our anniversary this past weekend. Soooooo tasty! But she enjoys it way more than me, so I just have a little bit and stick with my IPAs.

I do LOVE rose but I drink it like an athlete sucking down a sports energy drink, so it's not in my best interest to keep it in the house. :bag:

Once per year, maybe.

My wife thought she what going to get into wine a few years ago. She bought a wine cabinet and everything, then filled it up. That phase lasted only a few months. So now we have a bunch of wine that we don't drink. But it makes us look civilized, or maybe even refined to the folks that don't really know us. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

FWIW... my initial stab at a What's Normal website required signup (and login). This was done to have profile information attached to each vote which gave the site the ability to report on not only "overall" normality, but targeted normality (based on age, gender, marital status, geography, etc). Grand plans...

Not very often, usually whenever I cook something that calls for it, or sometimes with a fancy dinner (though I tend to prefer cocktails in those instances)

For better or for worse, if it's on this forum, it's already essentially broken down by gender and age.

99.5% Old Guys.
Understood. I meant in society at large.

It’s interesting to me how beer and liquor are thought of as “manly drinks”, while wine is more feminine, at least in this country. Seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction, but I’m sure there’s a historical explanation for it.

I wouldn't consider myself a wine drinker but I will drink wine. I live in an area that has wineries all over the place. Going wine tasting is a thing a lot of people around here do. I will go for the social aspect and try some wine but it's not something I will order on my own.
Same for me. Add in we are members of a local winery (largely to entertain out of town guests) so we get our monthly bottles as part of the membership. But as we are not consistent drinkers we will go months without picking up our bottles and thus have 20+ bottles on hand at the house most days.

It’s interesting to me how beer and liquor are thought of as “manly drinks”, while wine is more feminine, at least in this country. Seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction, but I’m sure there’s a historical explanation for it.

Interesting, I might have that perspective with Rosé - which is not a dig @General Malaise, I enjoy it as well! But in general I've never considered wine as being feminine. Maybe it's having lived my entire adult life in or around wine regions (just outside Napa and Sonoma and now in the Willamette Valley), or maybe it's just because my dad has always been a wine drinker.

I love wine more than I drink it.

Favorites:
Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs
Willamette Valley Chardonnays (they are much dryer, fruitier and crisper than napa)
Sauvignon Blancs - dry and crisp
Rieslings - dry and crisp

Pretty much any well made red with a nice bold character and mouthfeel and any white that is dry and tart. Nothing sweet.

Interesting, I might have that perspective with Rosé - which is not a dig @General Malaise, I enjoy it as well! But in general I've never considered wine as being feminine. Maybe it's having lived my entire adult life in or around wine regions (just outside Napa and Sonoma and now in the Willamette Valley), or maybe it's just because my dad has always been a wine drinker.
Yeah, there’s definitely a socioeconomic component. Still, my wealthy male friends tend to drink a lot more beer and booze, while their wives consume wine.

And I’m also not trying to libel dudes who like wine. The only alcohol I consider is “girly” stuff. When I drink, I often ask for the least masculine of available mixed drinks - the sweeter/fruitier, the better!

ETA I’ve never tasted a wine fruity enough for my palate, nor a beer I can stomach.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread