What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Are You A Wine Drinker? (1 Viewer)

Do You Regularly Drink Wine?

• Yes

Votes: 73 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 62.9%

• Total voters
It’s interesting to me how beer and liquor are thought of as “manly drinks”, while wine is more feminine, at least in this country. Seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction, but I’m sure there’s a historical explanation for it.

Interesting, I might have that perspective with Rosé - which is not a dig @General Malaise, I enjoy it as well! But in general I've never considered wine as being feminine. Maybe it's having lived my entire adult life in or around wine regions (just outside Napa and Sonoma and now in the Willamette Valley), or maybe it's just because my dad has always been a wine drinker.

Our mutual friend's wife introduced me to Rosé with club soda and ice. On a hot day, that is simply delightful!

Wife is member of a handful of clubs and take trips a couple times a year to various wine producing areas. Lots of areas close to and in PNW for this. Was her thing initially and she has gotten me into it.

We went wine tasting on Sunday, hit three wineries just outside Eugene and had the full range of experiences.

The first was a super nice tasting room and restaurant up on the top of a hill with great views surrounded by vineyards. We had to make an appointment so there were only two groups at the bar at a time, . They had a very formal tasting program with pre-planned flights of 4 wines each, and we hung out at the bar while the dude explained the wines, where the grapes were grown, interesting tidbits, etc (and poured a couple extra tastes).

Next one was a little more mellow, had flights as well but they bring them to your table outside, and most people there were just buying a bottle and hanging out in chairs around the property having a picnic with food they brought.

At the third they had no flights, we were able to try what we were interested in. They had live Latin music with a couple hundred people hanging out eating and drinking, some with their dogs and kids. In fact it was so hopping we decided to come back another time to really try some more of their wines, since there was a line at the bar the entire time we were there.

I think a lot of people assume wine tasting is mostly like the first winery, and I love that experience, but there are all kinds of experiences just like there are all kinds of wine.

We went wine tasting on Sunday, hit three wineries just outside Eugene and had the full range of experiences.

The first was a super nice tasting room and restaurant up on the top of a hill with great views surrounded by vineyards. We had to make an appointment so there were only two groups at the bar at a time, . They had a very formal tasting program with pre-planned flights of 4 wines each, and we hung out at the bar while the dude explained the wines, where the grapes were grown, interesting tidbits, etc (and poured a couple extra tastes).

Next one was a little more mellow, had flights as well but they bring them to your table outside, and most people there were just buying a bottle and hanging out in chairs around the property having a picnic with food they brought.

At the third they had no flights, we were able to try what we were interested in. They had live Latin music with a couple hundred people hanging out eating and drinking, some with their dogs and kids. In fact it was so hopping we decided to come back another time to really try some more of their wines, since there was a line at the bar the entire time we were there.

I think a lot of people assume wine tasting is mostly like the first winery, and I love that experience, but there are all kinds of experiences just like there are all kinds of wine.
The best wineries are the small ones where the people working the counter are the owners who still are really involved in the whole process. Fun just shooting the **** and drinking some with down to earth people.

sounds like a blast! did any of the wineries offer a food component with the experience (either as part of the tasting or a bolt-on for additional $$) ?

The best wineries are the small ones where the people working the counter are the owners who still are really involved in the whole process. Fun just shooting the **** and drinking some with down to earth people.

When in Oregon, make it a point to visit @Buc in Exile and his fantastic Bells Up winery. Great education, amazing wine, tremendous guy with lots of upside.

When in Oregon, make it a point to visit @Buc in Exile and his fantastic Bells Up winery. Great education, amazing wine, tremendous guy with lots of upside.
I hope to get there. My wife and I have talked about an Oregon wine trip for awhile.

Thanks for the reminder! Will have to do that next time I'm up at my parent's place in Sherwood.

sounds like a blast! did any of the wineries offer a food component with the experience (either as part of the tasting or a bolt-on for additional $$) ?

It was! None of them had specific food and wine pairings, at least not that day. But they all had food available for purchase, ranging from full meals to charcuterie to pulled pork sandwiches and hotdogs. You can probably figure out which of the wineries I mentioned had which food options!

Not wine related but adjacent, there is a brewery here that we have a club membership in called Alesong that does barrel-aged, wild, and sour beers (the Double Barrel Maestro barleywine is incredible, although at 16% ABV it's a drink one and move on kind of drink!) Their last release party a few weeks ago they had paired bites for each of the 4-5 beers they were serving. That was much more like some of the high end tasting experiences from our days in Sonoma than the typical brewery offering around here with a food truck or a limited kitchen (which I also enjoy!).

Very, very rarely wine - why drink wine when you can drink whiskey?
If I'm drinking on a weekend night I almost always start off with liquor - what type and whether it's a cocktail varies, but that's usually the starter. For whatever reason if I'm drinking during the week I have no interest in it though. In summer that means root beer, but in winter it's whatever Trader Joe's bottle of red is on hand.

Very kind of you GM. You and the missus owe us a visit - got a bunch of new goodies to show you.

There was a point made above about different the US wine culture is than in Europe and I can't stress enough how true that is. I've always loved how the French, Spanish, and Italians (among others) view their "everyday wines" - amazing quality but totally unpretentious. Often made in co-ops in small villages and served in liter carafes with no label and for just a few Euros. And always meant to be shared with friends and family with smiles all around. We need more of that "come as you are" approach to quality wine here and that's pretty much what my place has become known for.

At least once a month...

Sheesh, I think I drink less than just about anyone in the FFA and we have wine a few nights a week. It's pretty rare there isn't something to open if we're in the mood. I don't think we've gone a month without wine....in a long, long time.

Very, very rarely wine - why drink wine when you can drink whiskey?

Wife likes whiskey. I'm more of a clear liquor guy - a few times a year, usually when we're at an event or something. So the compromise is we drink wine.

It's rare we have beer in the house. Maybe for a watch party or something. We always have her favorite whiskey and my favorite vodka around, but rarely drink either.

Wine is a staple with dinner a couple nights per week. Usually finish the bottle or open a second the same night.

Rarely find myself drunk, if I am it's usually an accident lol. I think I've been drunk maybe once or twice in the last 6-7 years. She likes to get hammered but does so less since we got married (year ago next month.) If she is out at dinner with friends she usually drinks enough to get buzzed. Think I've only seen her falling down drunk once in three years.

In this cohort, we're def not normal.

Never until about 4 years ago. We were headed to Italy for our 15th anniversary and I figured when in Rome (literally)…..had never liked it but started to take to certain reds especially. Drank various Italian reds the whole trip. Drink primarily wine in the cooler months now. Still don’t really care much for white wine, but give me a nice glass of Chianti or Brunello…..

Every night with dinner. Usually red (Zin, Cab, Pinot, Tempranillo, blends), a white (mostly Chard) if it matches the meal better (chicken, mild fish, etc).
Same, although trying not to drink during the week, so maybe 1-2 bottles between me and my wife on the weekend (I drink 75%). Mostly $20 bottles, sometimes a $50, sometimes a $100+. The right bottle with the right food is...special. I can recall maybe 5 specific times in my life when the wine stole the moment at a social occasion. Still brings a smile. Magic that's not easily reproducible.

I'm also a Bay Area guy, so lots of opportunity to drink great wine around here. I even have a neighbor who texts me "check your front door" and he's put a taste of something he likes in a wine glass. Fun.

At least once a month...

Sheesh, I think I drink less than just about anyone in the FFA and we have wine a few nights a week. It's pretty rare there isn't something to open if we're in the mood. I don't think we've gone a month without wine....in a long, long time.
While not a problem, a glass of wine a few nights a week is far more than average. 1 in 6 adults never drink, and about half didn’t drink in the last month.
Prevalence of Drinking: According to the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 85.6 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 69.5 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 54.9 percent reported that they drank in the past month.1
Now that survey doesn’t match the FFA demographic, but I‘m sure there are more than a few like me (maybe @brun), who can take it or leave it. And many others who quit, for a variety of reasons.

I cook more with wine than I drink it. The last drink of wine for me was 11 years ago at the annual Wine Walk downtown.

I voted no but just dawned on me that I use several fortified wines fairly often. Sweet Vermouth in particular. Also, some of my favorite whiskey's are finished in fortified wine barrels.

Do you notice all things costing a ton more now?

WINE is one product that is priced exactly the same as before the pandemic. So hooray for that I guess.
Trader Joe wines are cheap and very drinkable
There is an enormous amount of good tasting red wine from about $15-$30 a bottle
Not just TJs but I also find Total Wines to be a great place to find a lot of bottles in the sweet spot for price.
I like Juggernaut lately and was happy to see Wicked Weed pouring it as their house wine when we visited the cellar last month. I drank beer of course
Once in a while Publix will run BoGo on a decent bottle of red

At least once a month...

While not a problem, a glass of wine a few nights a week is far more than average. 1 in 6 adults never drink, and about half didn’t drink in the last month.
Prevalence of Drinking: According to the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 85.6 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 69.5 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 54.9 percent reported that they drank in the past month.1
Now that survey doesn’t match the FFA demographic, but I‘m sure there are more than a few like me (maybe @brun), who can take it or leave it. And many others who quit, for a variety of reasons.

All things in moderation.

have sampled wine maybe 4 times in my life and hated it every time. it must be to me what cilantro is to some people. perceived as completely different than how the majority tastes it.

in fact, i can barely tolerate the smell of wine.

The older I get, the more I like wine. Doesn't hit so hard and quick as liquor but also doesn't require drinking nearly as much liquid-wise as beer. I am big time team wine.
Yep, I can sign on to this philosophy, too. Whisky is great and I prefer that inebriation, but it can sometimes be hard to control and make for a bad next morning. I enjoy the taste of beer but it's just so much liquid and usually makes my stomach upset before I get to my happy place or whatever you want to call it.

But, for a relaxing evening, 2-3 glasses of a good red gets me where I want to go pretty much every time without upsetting my stomach or my sleep.

Every night with dinner. Usually red (Zin, Cab, Pinot, Tempranillo, blends), a white (mostly Chard) if it matches the meal better (chicken, mild fish, etc).

(y) what we are eating usually determines the wine choice (or beverage in general)

I believe that i've talked about preferences before but there are few varietals i stay away from: most italian pinot grigio is grassy to me; many red rhone has notes of black pepper; I do not love the grapefruit in california sauvignon blanc (though that is has been changing over the past 10-15 years)

big fan of:
white Rhône (viognier, marsanne, roussanne)
Alsatian Riesling, pinot blanc (dryer styles)
Burgundian whites
vernaccia, vermintino, arneis, orvieto
torrontes
northwestern pinot gris
sauvignon blanc from france, new zealand, australia
gruner veltliner

Bordeaux, and specifically right bank (pomerol and st emilion)
northern italian reds, super tuscans
california bordeaux
bigger pinot noir

I’ve never tasted a wine fruity enough for my palate

I'm generally this way -- if I'm drinking for personal enjoyment, no dry wine satisfies. A sweet Riesling, or sherry, something like that. I'm even down for a regular old Mogen David. Similarly, spumante is favored over champagne for personal, non-social consumption.

I've also never grokked wine pairings. It doesn't come naturally or intuitively to me at all, especially with dry wines. Any dry white works as well as any dry red with any protein to me. :shrug:

I struggle to think of anything less stressful than a day of wine tastings.

I struggle to think of anything less stressful than a day of wine tastings.
@Brony

wine tasting in Napa on a weekend is not necessarily relaxing. There are places i like to visit with fewer crowds, which helps

as someone who works in the wine industry, i consume on a daily basis.

Thanks. What do you do in the wine industry?
started in 2008 as a harvest intern, and have moved on to the sales side. currently i'm the hospitality manager at a small winery in Sonoma.
Awesome. It's probably been a decade since I went to Sonoma but I absolutely loved it. We stayed in Healdsburg, just a wonderful time.

Users who are viewing this thread