What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the upside of marriage for men? (1 Viewer)

Then you’re a lucky guy! Nice work!  You’re in the minority though…I’m sure of that. 
I’m sure you want that to be true.  Not sure it is true.  

Also not sure why you need that to be true.  If your life is working for you why do you need for it to be how others see it?

What's the upside of marriage for men? The answer is longer life. Check the stats. 

Men as a gender don't like going to the doctor. If a single man has a health problem, he will most likely try to tough it out. Then die sooner than later.

A married man has a health problem? His wife will nag him to death until he does something about it!

What's the upside of marriage for men? The answer is longer life. Check the stats. 

Men as a gender don't like going to the doctor. If a single man has a health problem, he will most likely try to tough it out. Then die sooner than later.

A married man has a health problem? His wife will nag him to death until he does something about it!
Long life, yes. But dying in your bed many years from now, would you be willing to trade, all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, at single life. Saturdays are yours, Sundays are yours, the remote is yours, no family drama that you don’t even care about. I am on the side of single and I do have my FREEDOM…if you don’t, I doubt you would understand either way…I love it and can’t be convinced otherwise….enjoy seeing the other family Easter Sunday…I’ll be throwing back beers switching between baseball and playoff basketball with no interruptions. Probably fire up the grill with some steaks and God forbid drink a bunch…enjoy your Sunday…I have no plans….

While I am pro-monogamy and love long lasting relationships—and am pro-family—marriage is not for me.   The thought of the government acknowledging who I’m in a relationship with does nothing for me.   Most of the time when the government directly intersects with my life—it’s not a positive experience—taxes, new rules, restrictions, regulations..etc. The last thing I want to do is give government another opportunity to intersect into my life. 

I got married at 25 to my wife who was 23. We both had a kid from a previous relationship and I thought she was "the one". We started off pretty good but I'd say by year 5 we were a train wreck. We had some serious financial difficulties and it took its toll. It was to a point where we both considered divorce. But paying child support (we had an "our" child quickly into the marriage) as well as throwing more turmoil into both my daughter and step son's lives who already had an absentee parent wasn't something we were willing to do. So we stayed in an unhappy marriage. For about 5 more years. Then something happened. We got into a better financial situation and "amazingly" our relationship got less rocky. Maybe it was maturity as well. Maybe we grew together instead of apart. I don't know. But our marriage went from rocky to amazing. Now I'm almost 50... been married to my best friend and rider for the past 10+ years and couldn't imagine my life without that crazy woman. 

So for me, and I understand this is not the norm, the benefit of being married was keeping us together until we could pull our heads out of our butts and realize everything we needed was staring us in the face. 

45, married 10 years.

For me, a very specific reason is the passion that we both share, which is travel.  Travelling alone sucks, and while I have a lot of friends who also enjoy travel, my wife and I are super travel compatible. That is, we enjoy doing the same things while traveling, as well as going to the same places.  We're a perfect match in that regard and that's hard to find.

The sex and the day to day together is great too.  I suppose we don't technically need the marriage certificate to enjoy all of these things, but it's kind of worth it not having both of our families constantly asking when we'd be getting married.  I guess I don't have a valid reason why we shouldn't be married.  

While I am pro-monogamy and love long lasting relationships—and am pro-family—marriage is not for me.   The thought of the government acknowledging who I’m in a relationship with does nothing for me.   Most of the time when the government directly intersects with my life—it’s not a positive experience—taxes, new rules, restrictions, regulations..etc. The last thing I want to do is give government another opportunity to intersect into my life. 
What about your commitment in the eyes of God

Long life, yes. But dying in your bed many years from now, would you be willing to trade, all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, at single life. Saturdays are yours, Sundays are yours, the remote is yours, no family drama that you don’t even care about. I am on the side of single and I do have my FREEDOM…if you don’t, I doubt you would understand either way…I love it and can’t be convinced otherwise….enjoy seeing the other family Easter Sunday…I’ll be throwing back beers switching between baseball and playoff basketball with no interruptions. Probably fire up the grill with some steaks and God forbid drink a bunch…enjoy your Sunday…I have no plans….
Nice work in channeling William Wallace. :cool:  

I agree with this.

My wife just turned 53--I am 52--we have been together over 30 years and frankly, life is better than it ever has been. We have raised two great daughters--one just graduated college last year. Our other one is graduating from high school this year. We are each other's best friend and love being around one another. We waited to have kids, so we could get our fun, traveling, party on in our 20's. When the kids were born, they became our primary focus, it was dance recitals, Disneyland and countless hours dress shopping. Now that the youngest is going off to college, my wife and I have to admit we are excited to revisit our 20's again and all the "adult" fun we had. Sure, we have had arguments over the years--mostly over money or kid's issues, but I can honestly say I don't think we have ever had one that festered into the next day. My wife is honestly more beautiful now than when I met her. I feel like I am aging like an old catcher's mitt, and she still gets carded ordering drinks. 

We are completely non-religious-=-so there isn't that pressure, but I do think how both of us were raised greatly influenced us. My parents were married 60 years before my dad passed. Her parents are both alive and getting close to 60 years married.

As someone who has sat through countless divorces, custody and domestic violence cases, I can tell you without a doubt there are people out there that simply should not be married. They don't have the disposition or ability to maintain a healthy relationship, let alone be married. 

I don't fault the OP and his life choices--you do you, man (well, i don't think you are having to do you, that seems to being taken care of by your harem of girlfriends  :P ), but I am not jealous of and sure wouldn't trade places with him. 
I’m jealous of what you have - in all sincerity.

I honestly don’t know. I’m a nurse so I work with a lot of women. To hear them talk about their spouses, almost to a person………they feel like their husband is a the most useless, sack of crap on the planet. Almost all of them are miserable, a good percentage are cheating on him and most of the husbands sound like they don’t have any idea their wife is planning her exit strategy. 

I honestly don’t know. I’m a nurse so I work with a lot of women. To hear them talk about their spouses, almost to a person………they feel like their husband is a the most useless, sack of crap on the planet. Almost all of them are miserable, a good percentage are cheating on him and most of the husbands sound like they don’t have any idea their wife is planning her exit strategy. 
But, but there’s 7 guys on this board who have a happy marriage so this can’t possibly be true!!  Who hurt you ?!?

But, but there’s 7 guys on this board who have a happy marriage so this can’t possibly be true!!  Who hurt you ?!?
to be fair I’m talking about the women post 30 who have been married for awhile, have a kid or two etc. A good percentage of them I’m looking at thinking…..you’re lucky you have anyone. Women are brutal though. Guys dont talk about half the personal #### women do. Husbands small unit……how bad he is in bed……how unattractive he’s become. It’s all fair game for them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
to be fair I’m talking about the women post 30 who have been married for awhile, have a kid or two etc. A good percentage of them I’m looking at thinking…..you’re lucky you have anyone. Women are brutal though. Guys dont talk about half the personal #### women do. Husbands small unit……how bad he is in bed……how unattractive he’s become. It’s all fair game for them. 
And that demographic is the whole point of the thread. Marriage sounds great and magical…until it isn’t 

And that demographic is the whole point of the thread. Marriage sounds great and magical…until it isn’t 
funny how it seems to go down that path, particularly a year or so after having a baby. Latest is an early 30s, baby is almost a year now, talked well of the husband pre birth. Now he’s a loser for still working at the Apple Store. Insists on giving me a hug every time I see her and trying to sit on my lap when I’m charting. 

funny how it seems to go down that path, particularly a year or so after having a baby. Latest is an early 30s, baby is almost a year now, talked well of the husband pre birth. Now he’s a loser for still working at the Apple Store. Insists on giving me a hug every time I see her and trying to sit on my lap when I’m charting. 
Ah so she’s no longer happy with his financial status and probably talks down on him for that now that a baby is here and they have more expenses?  Shocking! 

Do they make house calls?

could be. That my main perspective. 
I’m kidding.

While there definitely is a stereotype of nurses choosing their profession solely to marry a doctor, I’ve known many who are selfless, wonderful people. And the nature of the job selects for people willing to get a little dirty, so they’re fun to date at least.

I’m kidding.

While there definitely is a stereotype of nurses choosing their profession solely to marry a doctor, I’ve known many who are selfless, wonderful people. And the nature of the job selects for people willing to get a little dirty, so they’re fun to date at least.

I know but the profession does seem to attract a certain type. Men too. 

Picking the right life partner is one of the absolute most critical aspects of happiness. Or lack of.  Choose well. BTW - bunch of my divorced friends are getting strange all the time. Tinder and Hinge hounds. Every single one of them said they would switch places with me in a second. But I picked right. 

I’m kidding.

I became a nurse just to find a doctor to marry. So far, the 3 who have asked me out on dates aren’t my type.

And i won’t marry a nurse- they’re all crazy.

I think it makes sense if you plan on having kids or if it's with a woman you love and want to grow old with.  Marriage never made sense to me when I was younger but now in my 40s and settling down some, I'm more open to the idea.  The idea of being in my 50/60s, cruising bars and swiping for chicks online doesn't sound that appealing :sadbanana:

I just turned 52 and got married for the first time a month and a half ago. Neither of us have kids. Been together 5 and half years, bought a house together 2 years ago.

So now I have great, cheap health insurance through her work family plan (state job). Ive had private insurance for the past 10 years, so it's nice to pay about 1/3 of what I had been paying.

That's the big get for me I guess. Lol

What about your commitment in the eyes of God
While I believe in god and higher powers—I personally do not believe that filing paperwork with the government about being committed to the one I love involves God. A faithful relationship based on love is a faithful relationship in the eyes of god in my opinion.  I don’t believe that marriage is a requirement even in the eyes of god.  A lot of religious writings/beliefs happened way back in the day when the churches played a big role in government and who was in power. I think that promoting marriage and tying it to God was just a way of further tying people to their churches and their governments.   I just refuse believe that the notion that a higher power somehow values faithful relationships that have been “documented” by churches and governments more than an undocumented faithful relationship. Many of my religious/spiritual beliefs are founded on Karma. I very much believe in it.   I see no Karmic difference between a person that is married and faithful and committed versus a person that is unmarried but also faithful and committed in their relationships. 

And it also makes it a higher chance of a divorce when the woman realizes she is the family provider and her husband isn’t holding his weight financially.   If a woman is pushing for the societal idea of marriage then good chance she also believes in marital roles (right or wrong the man is looked at as the provider in that scenario).

Good luck being a man trying to enjoy marriage with that black cloud over his head.  
There's a whole lot of silly generalizing in this thread, but reading this far in, so far this one takes the cake.

Buddy you don’t have to announce your insecurities quite so loudly. Nobody here is arguing with you, some people have found content with marriage and some have not. I can assure you nobody here cares, at all, what you’re up to. 

Um, I stopped after the first couple pages. It's exactly what you're doing in this thread even with the backhanded compliments to those who have posted about having good marriages in here.

To be fair, I think he might have just gotten bored with judging us happily married guys on our fashion sense.

To be fair, I think he might have just gotten bored with judging us happily married guys on our fashion sense.
Is it surprising that someone interested in something as superficial and ephemeral as fashion would have trouble imagining a lifelong commitment?

Why do you think they’re crazy?
Because I work with then every day.

Mostly kidding, but I hear a lot of details of a lot of my co-workers’ lives- I guess doing what we do removes a lot of the conversational filters. I’m sure if I worked an office job, the issues would be the same, although maybe not as descriptive in the details.

When all the Tinder secks is played out and your prostate is enlarged, who are you gonna call to pick you up from surgery? The sugar babies are long gone. Your sister? I think being single would be hellish in your later years. That’s just me
Someone said earlier…I’d rather be happier in my 40’s than in my 80’s. 

totally understand. I actually like my in laws and spending time with them. I’d rather have dinner and games with them than on my own or with other friends.  There is some “drama” but it just involves her brother lately while the rest of us get along great. 

Someone said earlier…I’d rather be happier in my 40’s than in my 80’s. 
That's an interesting decision, similar to the way people gamble on their health with bad decisions while younger. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know how good or bad the future will be. 

Don't get me wrong, sexual variety is great. Not really a fan of the rest of dating. Although I suppose the internet makes it a little less irritating/labor intensive.

This is a really weird thread.  Seems like a whole bunch of reasonable, rational comments about marriage interspersed with one guy saying “you are a liar.  Marriage sucks, you just won’t admit it or haven’t found out yet.”

Anyway, my experience is pretty good overall.  Married someone way better than me in most ways.  We have two kids — which was super stressful for about 4-6 years early on — but the chances we have to travel solo it’s every bit as fun to be together as it was when we were 19 or 20.

We rarely argue about anything important.   We spent time early on, and in the years since, talking about what matters to each of us and why.  We compromise when we need to.  Give and take.  Etc.

She’s put up with way more than I have over the years.  I’m really lucky that this whole thing didn’t blow up because of my own imperfections.

Btw - if I didn’t get married, it’s unlikely I would have ever filed a tax return.  Ever.  Just really don’t do paperwork or logistics stuff.   She’s a CPA.  Thank god.  I’d probably be in prison.

To be fair, it does seem like female nurses have a tendency to marry worthless men.

There's surely no data to back that up, and frankly, I see a tendency for a lot of women to marry worthless men. Or at least have kids with them.

But for nurses in particular, we're talking about nurturing people that work hard and make good money. It can be a worthless man's dream.

There are a whole lot of people who don’t understand how to have healthy marriages and families and I understand why they would have negative feelings towards marriage. But there’s nothing better than having family around you that loves and supports you and is always there for you. Knowing that someone is committed to you through thick and thin is amazingly life changing. And having kids can be incredibly frustrating, make you anxious/angry/exhausted, but the way your kids love you, make you laugh, make you proud is something you can’t get anywhere else.

Sure, the lows can be low sometimes, but the highs are higher than any highs you can get anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread